[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Sonic Mania base Sonic's Sprite off Sonic 1 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

File: S3K Sprite.png (4KB, 151x198px) Image search: [Google]
S3K Sprite.png
4KB, 151x198px
It's superior. Hopefully game mods in the future can fix this.
>>
I agree op
>>
>>387667185
>It's superior
But it's not though
>>
Because it's not actually superior.
That said, there are some elements of it I like that I wish they merged into the design they're using.
>>
S3's sprite is static, stiff and lacking personality.
>>
Same reason why a lot of Mario flash movies on newgrounds use 8 bit or SMB3 Mario over SMW and SMB2 Mario
>>
The sonic 3 sprite is fugly

I keep forgetting how ugly it is everytime i look at it
>>
>lacking personality

Sonic 1/2's standing sprite has a very blank expression. 3's looks like it has a bit of a smirk which gives it a bit more personality IMO
>>
>>387668809
The sonic 3 sprite looks gay?

I dont think so
>>
>>387667185
>tiny retard eyes
>boxing gloves
>clown shoes
>floppy limp dick spines
>covered in lube
>stupid mouth pixel

Thank fuck they left this, Marble Garden, and Carnival Night in the trash where they belong.
>>
Looks like shit
>>
File: sonic-cd.jpg (30KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-cd.jpg
30KB, 640x448px
They really should have just made a new sprite altogether based on the Sonic CD design
>>
>>387669120
Except multiple elements of both those stages made their way into Mania.
>>
>>387667185
Who knows, S3 sprite has the most personality and attitude than 1 and 2s
>>
>>387669814
Nah it's shit
>>
File: open your eyes.jpg (56KB, 552x423px) Image search: [Google]
open your eyes.jpg
56KB, 552x423px
>>387669260
Name one
>>
>>387669931
Well, it's actually not
>>
>>387669260
not him, but even if Mania took some good tropes from those levels it doesn't make them anything but shit as they were in 1994
>>
>>387669968
It is
>>
>>387670113
Yeah, but it isn't
>>
>>387670132
It is tho
>>
>>387668809
SMW was THE most used spriteset used on newgrounds
>>
>>387669934
Hitting those little wheels in the ground with the spin dash to make shit move, now in Stardust Speedway.

>>387670034
I don't remember saying anything about quality.
>>
>>387670362
Now where's the blue top gimmick?

In the trash, with Sonic 3's sprite, where it belongs.
>>
>>387670510
You said name one, not name that specific one you dislike.
>>
why didn't they include the insta shield from 3
>>
>>387670560
because free invuln frames are kinda busted.
>>
>>387670560
they did, in no-save mode :^)
>>
>>387670615
so is being able to fly
>>
>>387670668
But Tails can't kill enemies while flying and isn't that fun to play
>>
>>387670559
I know man, I'm fucking dumb and somehow thought you were saying that the Mania sprite included multiple things I was knocking the 3 sprite for
>>
File: S2-3 mixed sprite enlarge.png (21KB, 605x367px) Image search: [Google]
S2-3 mixed sprite enlarge.png
21KB, 605x367px
>>387667185
Because the S3 sprite is a goofy looking shitty mess of a sprite. He's fucking crosseyed, more glove and shoe than hedgehog, the shoes look like fucking rounded rubber squeak toys, and for some asinine reason Sonic is now -shiny-.

Fuck that sprite in its derpy retarded quilled anus.
>>
>>387670887
S3 and S&K's title screens are so goddamn lifeless, so glad the fucking fake 3D trend started by DKC died
>>
>>387670769
i liked some of the tails combos in advance 3. regular tails is about as fun as mario world's cape
>>
>>387669934
>those exceedingly unformed spikes on the right that don't look organic
>super round head that makes spikes look like a single row
>eyes slightly squished forward
>no mouth
>shoes now overly long and incredibly thin

I'll never understand why people don't see the 3 sprite as superior. It just feels better balanced to me but it's hard to explain why. Granted Mania's animations are vastly superior.
>>
File: sonic_mania_animations.gif (217KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
sonic_mania_animations.gif
217KB, 640x640px
>>387667185
3&K's sprite is objectively the worst.
>in-game classic Sonic designs
Mania >= CD > 2 > 1 > 3&K > Generations > Spinball
>art/cutscene/boxart/non-gameplay Classic sonic deisgns
CD >= OVA > Mania >= JP 1/2/3&K >>>>>>> Literal shit out of a fucking toilet > US 1/2/3&K
>>
>>387670887
wonder why they always draw the other foot facing out like that. looks weird.
>>
>>387667185
sonic 1 sprite is better because he gives off the 90s 'tude that, you know, sonic was known for
>>
>>387670887
>and for some asinine reason Sonic is now -shiny-.

He's shiny in every Genesis sprite friend. You can even see the light bouncing off of his head in the S2 sprite you just posted.

Sonic 2's spikres also have 0 deoth to them and look like a single flat row of spikes, the 3 sprite actually has pretty good depth to it.
>>
>>387671607
>Sonic 2's spikres also have 0 deoth to them and look like a single flat row of spikes, the 3 sprite actually has pretty good depth to it.
They have identical depth. Same simple two tone shading.

And you're right. There's a whole 1 specular highlight on Sonic 2. That's totally the same as the extra on the head, the highlight on his cheek, his belly, and both shoes.
>>
File: Cqf5iwxW8AA4b8I.png (9KB, 870x1170px) Image search: [Google]
Cqf5iwxW8AA4b8I.png
9KB, 870x1170px
why did they make him clearer though
>>
>>387671607
Not that anon, but,
>he's shiny if every gensis sprite
>what is sonic 1 and CD
Also, Sonic 3&K's problem isn't that it's shinier, it's that the shines look like fucking shit. It's less gradual and looks like ass as a result.
Also, Sonic's spikes SHOULD look fairly flat. Sonic looks best as a flat cartoon character, no matter what. (See the CD/OVA design)
>>
>>387671204
His mid and bottom spikes are on the same column though. 3 is the one that's off model. The top spike is the only one offset and on a separate column with a second mid spike we can't see in profile. Mania shows the spikes more accurately. Especially in full rotation.
>>
>>387671803
>They have identical depth. Same simple two tone shading.

Not at all no. You can see how they used a shadow to designate the roundness of Sonics head. The spikes on his back look like they're dead center on the back of his head due to the way the shadow doesn't connect to them. In the Sonic 3 spriete his middle spike looks like it's on the side of his head because the shadow actually follows the spike instead of just following the back of his head, and the spike under that is covered in the spike above's shadow so it looks like it's further in on his body (as it should be).

You don't understand shading if you think they have the same depth, the middle sprite completely copies Sonic 3's style over the 2 one because of this.

>>387671885
>Sonic looks best as a flat cartoon character, no matter what. (See the CD/OVA design)

It makes it look like he has a single flat row of spikes though, similar to shark fins, which is super goofy.
>>
File: 1478829618691.gif (894KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
1478829618691.gif
894KB, 300x167px
>>387669220
>a sonic with hand-drawn sprites in the CD style
>>
>>387671204
His eyes are "squished" forward because he's looking forward. As are his feet both pointed forward. I've always preferred Sonic's shoes as being pointed. The S3&K sprite puts him at more of a 3/4ths view and looks kind of ugly, it thickens parts of him up which result in the sprite looking a bit cluttered considering its dimensions. You stand up and have your feet point away from one another at a 90 degree angle. The way his right foot points directly at the screen looks like something amateur artists do when they first try to give their pose a bit of depth. 3&K's hands are too big and one is higher than the other for some reason. I do like that his spines look three dimensional though, I hate the mohawk look. I also prefer 3&K's deeper blue to the lighter blue Sega's been pushing for classic Sonic lately.

No mouth looks good on a sprite. It isn't a necessary detail. You can see it when he opens it, that's the only time you need to.
>>
Are Tails' sprites any different in S3 compared to 2?
>>
>>387671885
Sonic's spines should only look flat if his whole body looks flat. The shading on the head gives the impression of roundness that leads into flat, buzzsaw style spines like the american boxart and cartoons, which is a hideous look for him.

>>387670887
This is a perfect fusion of the two sprites to me. Good job if you mocked it up.
>>
File: perfect sonic mania sprite.png (62KB, 228x416px) Image search: [Google]
perfect sonic mania sprite.png
62KB, 228x416px
Is it the perfect classic Sonic sprite? I put the head of the sonic 3 sprite on to the mania body.
>>
>>387672229
Sonic 3 is the inaccurate portrayal though. The mid spike is on the same column as the bottom spine.
>>
>>387667185

Whitehead believes Sonic CD was a good game. It wasn't.
>>
>>387672037
His top spike is supposed to be singular and come off the back of his head, his second spike has two in a row with them being on both sides of his head, the 2 sprite makes it look like its just a single spike row going all the way down his back.

>>387672290
>No mouth looks good on a sprite. It isn't a necessary detail.

In any other situation this would be considered bad design, people just handwave it here because they prefer the design of 2. 3's sprite is just more detailed and does a better job and giving Sonic depth instead of having him be super flat. Granted the shoes and gloves are personal preference there's still no denying that the 2 sprite just doesn't have anywhere near the same depth as 3's sprite.
>>
https://youtu.be/6WeKBOPcyJk
Sonic's got what I like to call "Mickey Mouse Syndrome", where his design is fucking great in 2D but simply doesn't translate well into 3D without some master-level animating tricks which you just really can't do with all the variables that come with making a game.
The main problem with a lot of Sonic's sprites, I feel, is that they still try to give him a lot of unneeded detailing and shading that he'd quite frankly be better without. I guess it's something you kind of have to do with pixel art to make it look decent (given that a 2D game with drawn art is very difficult and very costly to do well) but I feel like Sonic's best sprite is his CD sprite; it takes the nice shade of blue that 2 uses, while still using the same sort of shading that Sonic 1 had, which looks nice on him. (Unless I'm and idiot and remembering wrong, since I can't find that one image that compares all the sprites)
>>
>>387672597
Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack is too popish in my opinion.
>>
Because CDfags are the worst.
>>
>>387672597
>His top spike is supposed to be singular and come off the back of his head, his second spike has two in a row with them being on both sides of his head, the 2 sprite makes it look like its just a single spike row going all the way down his back.
That's on you if you're seeing it that way. It's clear by the fact that his head is round and that the specular highlight is near the mid spike, and by the mid spike's cutting off of the top spike's shadow where this shit is supposed to lie. Sonic 3 is the only one that fucks up by establishing that the mid spike is way too far out.
>>
>>387672697
Eh, I feel like CD's two soundtracks are purely a matter of preference. They both have some god-tier songs and some rather shit ones. The only objectively bad songs in either one I can think of are the US Opening/Ending songs, and that's not really because the songs themselves are bad but simply because the openings/endings to CD are pretty much designed to sync up with You Can Do Anything/Cosmic Eternity, so watching them without those just doesn't give the proper experience at all.
>>
>>387672597
>In any other situation this would be considered bad design,

No, it wouldn't. It's a small sprite. If the sprite was larger, it would be fine to show his mouth, but it isn't. It clutters it and makes him ever so slightly harder to read and you get nothing for it in exchange. When you're making a sprite of a character you cut out unnecessary details so it looks good, clean, and readable. If by "any other situation", you mean a drawing or a 3D model or any other kind of art, sure, but surprisingly, sprites follow different rules.

When he opens his mouth and uses it to make expressions, it's visible. On such a small scale as these sprites are, one pixel indicates quite a bit of real estate on his face. A CLOSED mouth simply wouldn't be picked up.

The sprite from Sonic 2 does lack detail and the shading could be improved, but the pose and amount of information it conveys is perfect. Mania improves on the Sonic 2 sprite dramatically.
>>
File: here_we_go_boner.png (12KB, 298x279px) Image search: [Google]
here_we_go_boner.png
12KB, 298x279px
>>387672951
>>387672648
>TEN TEN HERE WE GO AGAIN
>>
File: Sonic-Mania-Bonus-01-800x453.png (238KB, 800x453px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Mania-Bonus-01-800x453.png
238KB, 800x453px
>>387672528
>The mid spike is on the same column as the bottom spine.

It's not, you can tell by the lighting that the mid spine sticks out further to the right and left than the bottom spine, which is should.

>>387672517
He did say CD had bad level design, and that he only really liked the stage aesthetic to it.

>>387672826
>That's on you if you're seeing it that way.

No, the fucking Blue Sphere stages show it that way, both old and new ones.

The sprite in Sonic 2 makes Sonic's spikes look like narrow shark fins with no depth to them. They tried to do a Micky Mouse ear thing but it doesn't really work here with Sonic imo.
>>
>>387670887
They should have made mania's spines look more 3-dimensional. Sonic looks straight out of the saturday morning cartoon
>>
Ily /v/
>>
>>387670769
Yes he can. You just have to touch the enemy with his tail.
>>
>>387670362
>Hitting those little wheels in the ground with the spin dash to make shit move, now in Stardust Speedway.
They also removed the only fun part about those things by putting you into a jumping state after spindashing on them instead of letting you spindash in the air and bounce off them indefinitely.
>>
>>387672575
Sure it is. Besides he prefers 3K just like the rest of you basic bitchasses anyways.
>>
>>387667185
>It's superior.
Why do 3&Kucks tell themselves this? Sonic looks fucking bloated and shiny.
>>
>>387667185
>it's superior

Looks goofier.
>>
>>387667185
>only 3 shades of blue
>third spine down looks like some floppy dildo stuck to the back of his head
>>
>>387672517
The spikes are right, eyes and mouth still looks goofy.
>>
This thread is a personification of why /v/ is so godawful. This thread is riddled with fucking idiots with terrible, terrible taste. You all should be ashamed. Fucking niggers.
>>
>>387672575
>>387675103
The only problem with CD is the level design and maybe some bosses, but its really a good game.
>>
>>387667185
>>387670887
Just saying here but I think it also might be because people think the 1, 2 and mania sprite is cuter. It even looks like it is crying a bit due to the white part going towards the cheek. So it makes people go aw and want to pet him when they look at it.
>>
>>387673018
>Mania improves on the Sonic 2 sprite dramatically.
>Shitty top speed animation sprite

Okay bud
>>
File: Sonic Sprites Stand BG.png (16KB, 782x299px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Sprites Stand BG.png
16KB, 782x299px
Are there sprite rips yet? I wanna improve this shit.
Or has the PC version being delayed caused that to just not be happening for a while?
>>
>>387667185
Why won't people realize that Sonic Mania is the prequel to sonic force? If they Use Sonic 3 sprites It'll look similar to current sonic(Not the long legged freak one)
>>
FRARR
>>
Because Sonic 3 is shit.
>>
>>387680778
>le ebin contrarian

ur so cool m8
>>
>>387667185
Sonic 3's sprite is weird and uncanny, his pupils are too small.
>>
>>387680778
This.
>>
>>387680812
Not him but it kind of is. It's mainly held back by its NEED to have S&K to get the full game (Which has a whole different set of problems too). The 6 levels in S3 to start with aren't good enough.
>>
>>387667185
I actually do prefer tge Sonic 3 sprite as well, though the one they used looks quiet nice as well.
>>
>>387680812
Sonic 3 is for children who are bad at video games.
>>
You would have to be a massive autist to possibly care.
>>
File: 1353895222942.jpg (203KB, 1187x542px) Image search: [Google]
1353895222942.jpg
203KB, 1187x542px
Friendly reminder.
>>
>>387681027
This
>>
>>387681073
I wonder how many kids freaked out when they first drowned in the flooding segment of chemical plant zone 2 and never touched the game again.
Because I was one of them.
>>
>>387668970

Ironic when you consider how Super Sonic in 3 looks derpy as fuck, but you can see a subtle change in Sonic 2's Super Sonic (he sticks his chest out more and has more muscles on his arms)
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.