[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A bit of background: the only real visual novels I've played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

A bit of background: the only real visual novels I've played are Ace Attorney and Danganronpa. I LOVE these games to death. I spent last night and this afternoon playing through 999, finished with a bad end. Started up a new game with the information from my previous playthrough, and got back to the laboratory, and quit. I couldn't stand it anymore: it just... dragged on far too long for me. The text, when I absolutely couldn't skip through it, was slow, and much of it felt like uninteresting flavor text. The mystery, while interesting, was not riveting enough for me to continue beyond my second playthrough. None of the characters have any personality; the dialogue is stiff and it feels similar to one person talking through few different accents and trying to play it off as multiple people. And to top it, it apparently requires a significant time investment in order to get the "true end" that I just cannot feel, at the present time, would justify continuing beyond where I stopped. Not to mention, the puzzles (most of which are actually quite clever and well thought-out) are few and far between.
I'm trying, guys, I'm trying to like this game. It has some good things going for it, but overall, I'm just not enjoying the overall experience. Am I missing something? Is it me?
>>
don't start your thread with a paragraph of writing
>>
>>387658326
the writing in the zero escape series is genuinely bad, it's not just you. 999 has some cool twists so you might want to stick it out for that, but don't bother with the other games.
>>
Nice paragraphs idiot, I ain't reading that poorly written shit.
>>
>>387658503
Maybe I ought to play it in parts instead of playing it all the way through. Maybe I'll pace myself when it comes to this.

>>387658607

A small confession, I copy-pasta'd my post from reddit, and didn't reformat it.
>>
Same. Just got the bad ending last week and started up a new one only to quit after the second puzzle sequence. The dialogue is stale and and the entire time I'm (slowly) skipping through it I keep thinking "YOU'RE ON A FUCKING TIME LIMIT, STOP TALKING AND GET FUCKING GOING".

Ended up reading all the endings on the wikipedia last night. Fairly interesting story, they tie all the stupid rants together into it eventually but it just isn't worth the amount of dull text you have to read.
>>
>>387658974

Oh btw, Junpie is Zero and Ace is the owner of Cradle Pharmaceuticals.
>>
>>387658607
Also, is my writing as bad as 999's yet?
>>
File: IN11AL.png (228KB, 346x553px) Image search: [Google]
IN11AL.png
228KB, 346x553px
hey
>>
>>387658896
>reddit
>>
>>387659998
Still waiting on a real ending
>>
File: UN11BL.png (250KB, 473x592px) Image search: [Google]
UN11BL.png
250KB, 473x592px
>>387660579
be patient
>>
>>387658326
what version of the game you're playing? I believe in the PC version you can time hop to points you've been to before so you don't have to go through stuff you've already seen
>>
>>387661572
Played the DS version after years of having it and finally feeling like playing it.
>>
>>387660620
>>387659998
I got half way through the second route of this game years ago before losing my save.
I was really enjoying it, but I just can't go back.
Makes me mad that I'll never know what the hell was going on.

On another note, is Ever17 really worth playing after the ZE games? I know it reuses twists and such, but I did like certain aspects of the game like the music and setting. That being said, the ending guide I looked at made it seem pretty complex to get the true ending, what with relation building or something.

I only played a bit of the game years ago, but this still gets stuck in my head. Comfy as hell imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKOUewcja3c
>>
File: 1357535437863.gif (195KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1357535437863.gif
195KB, 256x192px
>>387661854
well, at least you can hold... B? and it'll fast foward through the text you haven't read yet (and sometimes new text might pop up because of something you did, in which case the text will slow down back to the normal speed)

that said, you still can't skip puzzle rooms, so yeah... I myself loved the game and couldn't bring myself to go through all of it all those times, so I just watched the rest of the game on youtube

now that the PC version is out, however, I plan on replaying it and doing it proper this time

the sequels, while weaker than 999 in atmosphere, I'd say are better structured (their 3DS/Vita releases versus 999 DS release, that is), and I can't even fully explain why without giving out some spoilers, in any case I recommend you at least give the sequel Virtue's Last Reward a shot if you can pirate it, as soon as you get to one of the branches fuck around a bit and you'll see one of the best gimmicks of the game, and you can decide wether to go on based on that

all that is, if you finish 999 to begin with, of course
>>
>>387662092
Go back you casual shitter. Finish it.

Ever17 is also good overall and not very complex.
>>
>>387662306

Yeah, I've been skipping through the text where I can, but it's such a slog to go through slow-moving text whenever I hit some new text.

The puzzles, which I consider the highlights of the game, are so few and far between.

Maybe I ought to give the PC port a try.
>>
>>387662725
I can't force myself to go through all those hours again.
Soon I will have forgotten enough that it'll be bearable, but not yet.

I may give Ever17 a go once I clear my backlog out a bit though.
>>
>>387662869
>hours

You do realize that enabling skip all and blasting through a route takes less than 40 minutes, right? I've done this.
>>
>>387663286
I don't remember enough to do that, but I remember too much for it too feel fresh; I'm stuck in that awful purgatory at the moment.
>>
>>387663286

To be fair, it's a tedious process that requires a bit of a time investment.
>>
File: 1357593757758.png (4KB, 194x240px) Image search: [Google]
1357593757758.png
4KB, 194x240px
>>387662859
I'm not actually sure wether the time hopping function is in the PC version, but I know it was in the iOS port (...which removed the puzzle solving)

anyways, get informed before buying it, but know that the game on Steam is a pack with 999+VLR (even if you pirate it, it's probably better to look up about it before even going after a download link)
>>
>>387663808
>I'm not actually sure wether the time hopping function is in the PC version
PC port includes the flowchart but it ruins the twist and the final puzzle.
>>
>>387664636
>ruins one of the twists and the final puzzle
ftfy famalam
>>
>>387664758
It's still the major twist of 999.
>>
File: 1357506894314.png (43KB, 219x204px) Image search: [Google]
1357506894314.png
43KB, 219x204px
>>387664995
it's the best twist, not the major, the major twist still happens regardless of you disliking the port or not, or are you telling me that in the PC version
Akane isn't seeing everything Junpei is doing? because I really can't see 999 even being written without that premise
>>
>>387665283
I never said the twist doesn't happen, I said they ruined it. The whole thing was build around the two screens and just having adventure mode/novel mode is shitty replacement. You can play most of the game in adv mode and miss most of Akane's narration. Also renaming them to "Akane Vision" and "Junpei Vision" for the finale is too on the nose for my taste.
>>
>>387665707
don't forget how they ruined Huh. That's weird. Did I leave that open? and WHAT?
>>
>>387658326
>Am I missing something? Is it me?
I enjoyed 999. It's the best of the 3 ZE games for reasons I can't mention. However, if it bores you that much then why the fuck are you trying to play it. No one is forcing you to play a game you don't like.

>I may give Ever17 a go once I clear my backlog out a bit though.
Good fucking lord man. I can guarantee you that if 999 isn't your cup of tea than Ever17 will have you jumping from a cliff.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.