[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are achievements considered necessary nowadays? Are people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1502837809955.jpg (39KB, 612x515px) Image search: [Google]
1502837809955.jpg
39KB, 612x515px
Why are achievements considered necessary nowadays? Are people so stupid they need participation trophies to play video games?
>>
>>387623545
yes
>>
>>387623545
most games already have trackable progression and unlockable systems
supporting achievements based on those same systems is such a trivial task that there is no good reason they shouldn't be implemented. you either have to be lazy as fuck or oblivious to the gaming ecosystem, and neither says good things about your game
>>
>>387623545
There's no reason not to have them. If a Steam game doesn't have them, I don't buy, because it shows that the devs are lazy hacks.
>>
yes. also achievements are just cheap way to not have unlockable content when you can just add popup.
>>
>>387625441
>He is that cucked by achievements that he only buys games with them

I would hate to see you with even a PS2. Playing just to get a digital trophy is stupid
>>
Stat tracking, so devs can tell where players gave up at.
>>
File: 1499887368941.gif (337KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1499887368941.gif
337KB, 640x360px
>>387625281
Really this. It's so piss easy to implement, and so many people are vulnerable to it. It would be stupid not to add achievements.
>>
Undertale didn't have achievements, and that's goty :)
>>
Achievements exist purely to drive sales. People become addicted to them and hate seeing low percentages, they will stick with a game until they get all of them, thus not selling the game early and supporting used sales. They also cause people to buy games if they "have an easy Platinum", which is pathetic.

They make games into check lists, they replace meaningful unlockables and they have zero good reason to exist. People who say "b-but muh status tracker!!!" are morons who would never bother with a more conventional tracker.
>>
File: goalposts.jpg (89KB, 594x395px) Image search: [Google]
goalposts.jpg
89KB, 594x395px
>>387625281
>>
>>387623545
Skinner Box
>>
>>387625281
''you finished the level" achievements are literally the worst kind though
>>
>>387627128
> we gave you a trophy for casually playing the game
>>
>>387627128
Those particular exist mostly to see when people inevitably stop playing for the purposes of developing future games.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.