[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Find a flaw it is literally the only untouchable system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

File: Super_Famicom.png (221KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Famicom.png
221KB, 500x400px
Find a flaw

it is literally the only untouchable system that has ever existed
>>
File: DHXMC_jVoAEwMvb.jpg (20KB, 360x421px) Image search: [Google]
DHXMC_jVoAEwMvb.jpg
20KB, 360x421px
>>387621617
>Low amount of sound RAM
64KB on a sampled system. This barely gives enough to make good, clean samples without tons of compressions, but to make it even worse this is shared WITH the sound effects. Not totally related, but one very irritating thing with the SNES is that a lot of music has samples that are slightly off-tune from each other. Listen to Desert Strike's title theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmwglUSZSlw

>Limited screen resolution
Most games run in 256x244, rather than 320x240 as was more common for 90s systems. Also on that topic, the aspect ratio is weird as hell and not every game is adjusted for it.

>Hard to program for
Not only is the CPU clocked at a slow speed (lower than the Master System's 4Mhz Z80), but it's also difficult to work with. I've talked with people who are into programming for these older 16-bit systems who won't touch the SNES with a ten foot poll because of how difficult it is.

Of course, if you want to talk about issues that aren't technical then you're getting into the territory of opinions. I personally don't like the library of the SNES; I enjoy the games of the Mega Drive and DOS/Win95 PCs much more, but I'm sure there's a lot to enjoy on the SNES and I'll admit that as much as I can't stand the muffled sampled sound of most music on the console there's still some standout soundtracks, like Waterworld (or really anything Dean Evans worked on).
>>
>lets make a console and gimp the most important part of the console
>and then we will try and jew the customers by adding more shit to cartridges and making them expensive
no.
>>
>Find a flaw
no blast processing
>>
Library is over-represented by JRPGs. Genesis had way more variety.
>>
Possibly the most overhyped game library I have ever played when it comes to the RPG side.
>>
sounds like a flaw to me, how are you supposed to play it if you can't touch it
>>
>>387622854

> I've talked with people who are into programming for these older 16-bit systems who won't touch the SNES with a ten foot poll because of how difficult it is.

Anecdotal evidence. People have said the same thing about Genesis. Better to find an official source than just talk to dudes who said somethings about development. At least with the PS2, you had a developer like Mikami said "I would rather cut my own head off than port RE4 to PS2".

Plus, I find it hard to believe you can't think of anything besides Waterworld. You seriously didn't enjoy DKC's soundtrack? The music in games made by Square?
>>
>>387622854
This. Shit couldn't display more than three enemies on Final Fight.
>>
The only flaw for SNES is that development had to stop for it at some point. This is the console where vidya peaked. It was all downhill afterwards.
>>
File: 1362877895017.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1362877895017.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
>Yamauchi's treatment of third parties during the SNES era has led to 4 gens of Nintendo floundering and failing to convince third parties to return
It has an unquestionably good library but it also ensured it would be the last time Nintendo would have a library like that. If they hadn't ruled with an iron fist the SNES might have been a bit worse but the N64, Gamecube, Wii, and WiiU would have all been significantly better for it.
>>
File: tobethisgood.jpg (285KB, 1731x1229px) Image search: [Google]
tobethisgood.jpg
285KB, 1731x1229px
genesis was better
>>
>>387623649

In all fairness, they were rightfully scared after the Atari debacle. I can't blame them for not wanting to let third parties run wild.

Though they went too far with threatening companies like Toys 'R Us, telling them to not sell competitors' games.
>>
>>387621617
NO
FM
>>
>>387623337
>People have said the same thing about Genesis.

Where and why? The only times I've heard of the MD being hard to program for is regarding trying to use both the 68k and Z80 at the same time for 3D like in some of EA's games.

>Better to find an official source than just talk to dudes who said somethings about development

""The SNES was an odd combination of a glacially slow 2.58 megahertz (not gigahertz) processor with a tiny 64 kilobytes (not megabytes or gigabytes) of memory coupled with exotic microchips designed to rapidly blast bits onto the screen" http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/starcraft-orcs-in-space-go-down-in-flames

WaterMelon also talks about difficulties developing for the platform here. https://venturebeat.com/2013/05/03/consoles-that-wont-die-snes/3/

>Plus, I find it hard to believe you can't think of anything besides Waterworld

It's the one that comes to my mind first because not only are the compositions of insanely high quality, but the instruments and mixing in it are superb. DKCs soundtrack didn't have much of an impact on me and I didn't find it to be very memorable. As for Square games, I haven't really listened to them much. I know what the instruments and general style sounds like, but I'm not much of an RPG guy so I never paid them much mind.
>>
>>387621617
Like the slowdown on every action game?
>>
>>387623649
Fuck third parties.
>>
>>387623984
That was a completely different thing. The forced exclusivity and shit was only used to strongarm developers into only working for Nintendo consoles, not to ensure quality.
>>
>>387624396
Your favorites games are third party unless you're a nintendork.
>>
>>387624204

>Where and why? The only times I've heard of the MD being hard to program for is regarding trying to use both the 68k and Z80 at the same time for 3D like in some of EA's games.

The point I was trying to make back there was that, like your example befpre, it was anecdotal. I have heard people say the reason Genesis games generally didn't look as good, is because like the PS2, tapping into its full potential was difficult as fuck. These days, people understand it more and can squeeze more out of it.

Again though, that's just anecdotal. Watermelon however is not anecdotal, that right there is a developer with a name and reputation. And an actual quote on top of it.

>It's the one that comes to my mind first because not only are the compositions of insanely high quality, but the instruments and mixing in it are superb. DKCs soundtrack didn't have much of an impact on me and I didn't find it to be very memorable. As for Square games, I haven't really listened to them much. I know what the instruments and general style sounds like, but I'm not much of an RPG guy so I never paid them much mind.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say DKC's soundtrack didn't move them. Aquatic Ambience alone invokes strong emotions for me. You really should give some of Square's games a listen. My God, Chrono Trigger's soundtrack alone.
>>
>>387622854
>The Xboxone has the most teraflops on a console!
As if specs on paper matter.
The SNES dominated the 2nd gen for a reason
>>
>>387625065

Nah. Not everyone jumped on the bandwagon to play Double Dragon or Castlevania. Some of us genuinely liked Nintendo because of, well, Nintendo games.

Hell I liked Sega because of Sega's games such as Sonic and Nights. It wasn't all about Aladdin or Adam's Family.
>>
File: 1356752617412.gif (925KB, 212x176px) Image search: [Google]
1356752617412.gif
925KB, 212x176px
>>387625070
>feeling emotions from the jingles of bing bing wahoo games
>>
This thread only proves /v/ is interested in being contrarian.
>>
>>387621617
>No achievements or trophies
>>
File: pepemoney.png (72KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
pepemoney.png
72KB, 320x320px
>>387625291

Yeah, the only time we should be feeling any emotions is when we see a rare pepe. Or crying wojaks.

BIG BIG WAHOO!

kek
>>
>>387625290
First party games can't hold a console alone.
>>
>>387625687

I understand that, but it's okay to like first party games the most. I like my fair share of third party, but at the end of the day I bought these consoles to get access to vidya like Sonic, Mario, Nights, Zelda, Ristar, etc.

Everyone's different.
>>
>>387624396
I would love to see something like SF2 coming on the MD first instead of the Snes to see how different things would be.
>>
>>387622854
About everything I was going to say. My biggest complaint as a user was just the sound. I preferred the sharper sound of the Genesis, but soundtracks on that system had their own share of problems.

There were a lot of games that managed to make good soundtracks despite that though. Megaman X1-3 and most of the Nintendo first party games come to mind.
>>
File: mega_drive_final_form.jpg (75KB, 877x960px) Image search: [Google]
mega_drive_final_form.jpg
75KB, 877x960px
>>387621617
I like the megadrive more. The SNES is choke full of RPGs and I don't give a fuck about story heavy games where the text scrolls. The action packed library of the megadrive is much more enjoyable. I'll agree that the whole generation of console was bretty good, probably one of the pinnacles for games
>>
>>387626521
>I preferred the sharper sound of the Genesis
GET A LOAD OF THIS then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CzkswHHxQI
>>
>>387626753
Heard it before. Honestly for MMX, it's a bit of Give and take. The guitar sounds are worse, but the synth sounds are MUCH better and it's clearer as a whole.

Plus Savaged Regime is a wizard anyway, so I doubt Capcom's take on it would have sounded quite as good.
>>
>>387626654

Eh, there were good action games on the SNES. Hell Genesis had its share of good PRGs as well. You just had to do a little research in order to find them.
>>
>>387627269
I mainly just remember Phantasy Star and Shining Force.
>>
>>387625291
>feeling emotions at all
>not being a emotionless robot
beep boop
>>
>>387621617
The American version is ugly as sin.
>>
>>387626985
Savaged regime is incredible
>makes cover of song in the same system
>it's fucking incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMVejnk5bvs
>>387627269
oh I know, I'm just considering the general trend that made me appreciate more the megadrive. Megaman X1-3 are still some of my favorites games
>>
>>387623253
Underrated post
>>
File: dalits1.jpg (226KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
dalits1.jpg
226KB, 1000x750px
>>387621617
>untouchable system

Literally the dalit of consoles.
>>
The only reason anyone hates SNES or Genesis music is because they found the worst examples possible and decided that all games sound the same.

Like, of course the Genesis would sound like shit if the only themes you post are from games like Doom 32x. But that wouldn't be fair now would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UntJvpjABg

You can make beautiful music with the right talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyG5BMaHGWI

Also, it depends on what you're in the mood for. If you aren't into rocking music, or comfy music, then you'll naturally think something sounds like shit. Why can't you guys just appreciate both? What is wrong with you?
>>
>>387625249
>2nd gen
4th.
>>
>>387626753

Incidentally, there's also a remix of Sonic games done in the style of Megaman X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2vgv7q6w1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhbV4n1YNaM
>>
>>387621617
>>
>>387625290
>Hell I liked Sega because of Sega's games such as Sonic and Nights.
If only Sega would realize that and stop shitting out Sonic games. Yeah, Mania is good, but the last good one before that came out two decades ago.
>>
>>387628880
Colors and Generations were good, stop being a fag.
>>
>>387629107
They were okay at best.
>>
Segafags were what Sonyg.gers are today.
>>
>>387622854
>>387626521
That glorious FF6 soundtrack, and those peculiarly beautiful Seiken Densetsu 3 graphics are so delicious.
>>
>>387621617
Sure:
Simple games with shit gameplay unless you're into primitive shit like platformers or JRPGs.
>>
>>387629129
They were good. I have fond memories of 100%ing Colors, exploring the levels to find the red rings and figuring the best route to beat the highscore was very fun. Most fun I had with a Sonic game since SA2
>>
>>387625291
Donkey Kong Country has a pretty unconventional soundtrack for it's genre in a lot of places
>>
>>387628451
I don't rememberr PCs looking like that in 1991.
>>
>>387623253

Didn't you know Sony as involved with the SNES? They had to wait two whole generations for the patent to run out so they could make the Playstation Eye.
>>
>>387621617
>super famicom
>flawless
The controller cable is shorter than most people's arm length, either you pull the console out so it's in the middle of your living room or you prepare for a trip to the optometrist
>>
>>387621617

It had some absolutely shit games but that was simply a product of the times.
>>
>>387631147

The 3rd part controllers for the SNES were actually good and you're kind of retarded for not owning one.
>>
>>387621617
shit CPU so shmups and many other games ran like shit

still loved the colourful video with many unique effects. And I love the sound chip.
>>
>>387626521
to me, SNES without a good composer can sound like highly-compressed trumpet farts, and the MD without a good composer can sound like sharp FM trumpet farts.
>>
>>387621617
its not an xbox one
>>
>>387631365
>3rd party
OP called it flawless, if you're buying accessories to address a problem it has a flaw
>>
File: 1468028794546.png (180KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1468028794546.png
180KB, 1000x1000px
>>387625070
>My God, Chrono Trigger's soundtrack alone.
CT somehow slipped my mind during this whole discussion; that's one soundtrack I have listened to bits and pieces of before and I love it. Now that I think about this more, Sutte Hakkun was another soundtrack (and game) I liked a lot.

Fuck it, I think I might hook up my Wii later and check out Chrono Trigger. Thanks for reminding me about that, anon.

>>387633419
Pretty much. You needed a good composer and programmer (or someone who could do both) to get the most out of each system, if you're missing one of those then your music is gonna be severly gimped. Truxton on MD is a good example of a game with good compositions but crap instruments. They could have done way better, hell, *I* could have done a better job than them in the same limitations.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.