[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>“Why would anyone watch strangers play video games?”

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

File: ptdmpii6g9ihr6g9uv6d.gif (24KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
ptdmpii6g9ihr6g9uv6d.gif
24KB, 320x180px
>“Why would anyone watch strangers play video games?” Over the years, my view has changed, but my question remains: Why on earth do I love watching strangers game?
>“My guess is that if you watch the same handful of people over time, you start to feel like they’re… your friends,” Dr. Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center in Newport Beach, California.
>"We come to know these streamers and we start to feel an emotional connection to them. We care about how they react to things. So they become part of our sort of social circle,” Dr. Rutledge said.

Why do you watch other people play vidya? Is it really because you think they're your friends?
>>
>>387587128

>black guy and white woman playing together
>white guy watching in the background

the absolute state of america
>>
>>387587128
That's a good way of framing it
>>
I want an idea of straight gameplay before buying any game and streamers are the quickest way to find that if you're actually looking at the thumbnails before clicking into some girl's boob cam.

Also, good streamers literally make a living being friendly. Do you like your bartender? Same shit.
>>
>>387587275
>bartender

why would i pay literally 10x the price for a drink i could make myself?
>>
>>387587128
People watch people talk, dance, cook, paint, sew, mix drinks, and so on. Video games are no different.
>>
>>387587128
I've never watched streamers, never had friends, never cared.

But is there anything actually wrong with watching people play games? Millions of people just sit on their couch for hours and watch TV, how is that different?
>>
>>387587275
>I want an idea of straight gameplay before buying any game and streamers are the quickest way to find that
>straight gameplay
That's funny because whenever I'm trying to find some footage of a new game I always get some "WHAT'S UP EVERYBODY I'M ____________ MAKE SURE TO LIKE AND HIT THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON"

things didn't always used to be this way and people talking doesn't bug me, but just straight footage with no commentary is definitely more rare these days
>>
File: image.png (361KB, 807x508px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
361KB, 807x508px
>>387587128
Entertainment
En ter tain ment
>>
File: 1489585812480.jpg (232KB, 600x694px) Image search: [Google]
1489585812480.jpg
232KB, 600x694px
I like to see lets players play a shitty game because its funny
>>
>>387587128
>>“Why would anyone watch strangers play baseball/footballs/basketball/soccer?

It's a mystery doctor Goldebergstein
>>
>>387587526
Her we are now
>>
>>387587128
>you think they're your friends?
In all honesty, no. I'm not gunna go up to Arin or Dan and start talking to them with all the confidence in the world and pretend they owe me attention or shit just because I watch them on Youtube.
That said, any time I play video games, I imagine myself as a LP and think of jokes or gay shit (why is it always gay shit) as if I had an audience watching me the entire time.
>>
>>387587128
>My guess is
I don't think this person is actually a doctor.
>>
>>387587334
its nice get ut
>>
>>387587128
I work better with noise on in the background
sometimes the only people who talk about shit at length that I'm into is only found on gaming LPs

If you have no imagination and cant understand, you're actually born with a deficiency of some sort, or you don't care in the first place about what you think.
>>
File: 1443728534548.jpg (7KB, 236x157px) Image search: [Google]
1443728534548.jpg
7KB, 236x157px
>>387587128
I'm at a point where I can't farm/do tedious things in a game without someone talking in the background about video games. It makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time... like I'm playing both games simultaneously. Obviously I don't watch people playing games I want to experience myself.

And the only time I watch others play without playing at the same time is for e-sports.
>>
File: bargirl.jpg (288KB, 2317x1964px) Image search: [Google]
bargirl.jpg
288KB, 2317x1964px
>>387587334
Don't you want to get laid, Anon? If you want access to this temple, you gotta pay!
>>
>>387587465
>But is there anything actually wrong with watching people play games?
Of course not. See >>387587381
>>
I think it can be refreshing to re-experience a game through someone else's perspective.

Its like watching someone at work working whilst you are working.

Its fun to displace yourself for a while.
>>
Speedruns and random obscure games.
>>
File: 1502628586462.jpg (22KB, 660x630px) Image search: [Google]
1502628586462.jpg
22KB, 660x630px
>>387587198
>>
I rarely watch streams, but when I do it's just to see live gameplay of a game I'm curious about or just not actually interested in enough to want to play for myself.

Sometimes I turn a stream on just for a bit of background noise when music just isn't doing it for me.
The rare times where I actually sit and watch a stream for a while, it's more to just see peoples reactions. It can be nice to watch other peoples reactions to situations. And also, sometimes it's nice to watch other people enjoy themselves.

because they're not dead inside like I am and sometimes it's nice to pretend that I can experience a similar joy even though I know it's impossible. I'm too far gone. You will be too.
>>
File: 139149340840.jpg (50KB, 330x327px) Image search: [Google]
139149340840.jpg
50KB, 330x327px
>watching people play video games is just like watching someone play sports, or cook a meal

no you are not watching someone involved in a physical activity, you are watching someone consume a piece of media

its like watching someone watching a movie instead of just watching the movie yourself

or watching someone read a book instead of just reading it yourself

you have a serious mental defect if you enjoy that
>>
>>387588437
So Mystery Science Theatre is pointless too?
>>
>>387588568
don't bring MST3K into this

i'll fight you
>>
>>387588437
>its like watching someone watching a movie instead of just watching the movie yourself
it's not like that at all
not only are video games interactive but your examples are stupid because you can actually see the gameplay, so it'd be more like watching a movie with someone else unless you think that's weird also
>>
>>387588568
Yes, and plenty of peopled tried to be like them and failed miserably. unironically worse than lets plays
>>
>>387588653
No I like MST3K too, I'm just saying his argument would nullify that too because you are literally watching someone else watching the movie and joking about it.
Not in real time usually, but its a similar sort of idea.
>>
>>387588437
This 100%

I am sick of these eceleb fans and stream watchers that could literally play the games they're watching. Watching someone play a game is pointless and boring. I would much rather be playing a game than paying some unfunny hack my attention, watching them play the same game (usually poorly)
>>
I've been streaming and watching people stream since 2010. I liked it because it reminded me of my childhood, when I watched friends\brother play games while waiting for my turn.
These days I usually find some streamer who's entertaining enough for me to watch or just listen to while I do some other stuff.
>>
File: Mad Asura.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mad Asura.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>387588568
>>387588653
>>387588751
>>387588798

MST3K is entirely different, because its a TV show about a dude and his robots watching B movies, its a spectacle, its a proper show with writers, characters, a story, puppetry, musical numbers and other bits outside of the movie watching.

a MST3k but with video games would be legit and acceptable entertainment.

Instead watching letsplays is the same as watching some 30 year old dude watch Frozen with a facecam taking up 1/4 or more of the screen
>>
File: 1492742359899.jpg (283KB, 1460x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1492742359899.jpg
283KB, 1460x1344px
>>387589147
>Its better because it has a script and a plot

Thats a dumb reason. Stop trying to make MST appear better when its just as bad as the other forms of "Lets ______". They even have copyright issues just like the autism copies it spawned.
>>
>>387587520
That's recorded shit on youtube. It sucks, that's why I look for a stream first. Streamers aren't gonna HEY GAMERS ITS YA BOY every 10 minutes unless they're irredeemable.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.