[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As it gets harder and harder to get noticed on digital platforms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: poe collectors edition.jpg (871KB, 3718x2092px) Image search: [Google]
poe collectors edition.jpg
871KB, 3718x2092px
As it gets harder and harder to get noticed on digital platforms like Steam, does it make sense for companies to put greater emphasis on retail again?

Would putting PC games back in big boxes help?
>>
>>387585134
No. Encouraging idiots to fill their homes with crap is objectively a bad thing.
>>
>>387585134
>>387585134
Video games aren't the only thing you can buy online anon.

Same for music, film/tv, anything on amazon and even food and drink.

If you wanted to you could probably get by without ever having to step outside providing you had enough money.

Steam or other digital platforms have nothing to do with it.
>>
>>387585134
I'd kill for big box PC games again. I wanna open the front flap and hear that velcro sound.
>>
>>387585134
>As it gets harder and harder to get noticed on digital platforms like Steam
Steam is not obligated to market games further than they already do. Physical copies are not what their customers are looking for, just cheap accessible games.
You can always make a good game, shill it a few times here and there and it will spread on its own after that.
>>
>>387586057
Well that's my point. The online shopper might be a lost cause if you have to compete with thousands of other steam releases a week, but what about the kids still getting dragged to Walmart with their mom? Having a new big box in a PC section of 30 games in DVD cases mostly from 3-4 years ago could be a real eyecatcher.
>>
>>387585134
>Would putting PC games back in big boxes help?
Man, I miss those. A whole heap of useless shit but it was just nice to have a cloth map, manuals the size of novels or button maps.
>>
>>387585134
Interesting idea OP but the only devs that can afford shelf space are AAA, and AAA already don't have a visibility problem because of their AAA budgets.

Considering how expensive games are it doesnt' seem too much to ask for some trinkets like we used to get.
>>
Pillars of Eternity is such a good game. That physical stuff looks comfy.
>>
>>387587907
The physical stuff is shit tier, the map for example is blurry as fuck. How the fuck can you make a map about the size of a fucking napkin and still get the resolution wrong? I wish I could sell that crap but I can't bring myself to trick someone into buying Chinese bootleg quality shit.
>>
>>387585134
Nah. It takes more effort and money which pretty much kills the lower end of indie.
>>
>>387588072
Sorry to hear about that. Glad I just pitched in for the digital stuff, then.
>>
>>387585134
I always buy digital on PC but physical on consoles, I like to collect the boxes.
>>
Putting games back in boxes is nice and all, but where are you putting these boxes so they get noticed?

The only time I ever see games irl first is at the once a year indie games expo/con/pissup and the only normies there are wannabe startup types out to con someone into making their shitty #disruptive mobile apps.
>>
>>387585134
No it wouldn't. These are collectors items. Your average consumer doesn't give a shit. You can milk some die hard fans for some more cash but beyond that it won't do shit.
>>
>>387585134
>buying merch
Nah. I want the game not physical garbage.
Having a hard time getting noticed? Make a better game.
Or be a faggot & spend more on advertising.
More of the former though pls.
>>
>>387586293
There will be more and more moms/dads who are tech-savvy & who will know & use steam.
It's foolish to aim for a shrinking demographic.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.