[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seriously, what went so right with this game? How did it achieve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

Seriously, what went so right with this game? How did it achieve what Outlast failed miserably?
>>
>>387576617
You could do a lot more than just run around
>>
>>387576695
Honestly for me Outlast is usually scariest in the beginning. Then it becomes so damn tedious to the point that it loses its scare factor.
>>
>>387576695
agreed, this game had actual gameplay on top of its stealth. also if you have Vive or Oculus, this game is truly mind blowing in VR
>>
>>387577029
Is this the one game that all of /V/ can agree on without having to listen to contrarians?
>>
>>387577029
>VR mod doesn't work with a cracked version

truly unfair
>>
>>387577212
If someone could upload the uncracked exe from Steam I could try and run it through the steam emulator. I would buy it, but $40 is too much... It's $10 on another website, but I'm not sure if my PC can play it in VR and I wouldn't be able to refund.
>>
>>387576617
>what went so right with this game
atmosphere and sound
>>
Fucking IGN gave this game a shit rating. Do people still take them seriously anymore?
>>
>>387576617
The threat is always dynamic and not scripted events.
>>
>>387576617
I think that the variation and crossover between alien/androids/crew segments was what made it work. Kept things from getting too stale. Until the end 1/3 of course when you just feel like you're going endlessly back and forth and the Alien just feels like a spiteful cunt making your playthrough take longer than a horrifying menace.
>>
The atmosphere is killer
>>
>>387578139
That's the same thing that made PT so amazing. Horror games need to learn from these two examples. Also from the Jack and Marguerite sequences in RE7
>>
File: 20170710225726_1.jpg (517KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170710225726_1.jpg
517KB, 3840x2160px
it gave you weapons to fight back a little
also
>dat sound design
>>
In Alien Isolation your playing with the goal to survive.
In outlast (2) you play with the goal to go deeper into fuck this shit why am i doing this
>>
The 2nd half is shit
>>
>>387576617
Nothing, it was too long
>>
They put such a fucking insane amount of effort into the smaller details. They recorded CRT monitors and put it over the computer screens so they'd resemble PCs from the 70s. They spent so much time with the audio shit it was insane. Read up on it. There was genuine love put into it.
>>
>>387578652
which part of the game is that ?
>>
>>387578780
I think that was the point. When a person is put in a situation like that where they have to escape to survive it probably feels like time is infinitely running slower from them
>>
>>387578784
im telling you in VR, the attention to detail is so good, i got immersed enough that i kept ducking my head when going through a doorway
>>
>>387576617
Genuinely the most scary horror game of all time. IMO. Glad they went with the style of the xeno from the first game instead of the bitch boy space insects from Aliens and later.
>>
>>387579138
Maybe complete game, but then again FEAR 2 was scary. But scariest horror experience likely goes to PT
>>
>>387578029
Not after Overwatch.
>>
>>387579331
They gave Overwatch a 9.4. Why is that considered bad?
>>
>>387576617
>what went so right with this game?
being able to mod the alien ai. once you read how it works and what variables to change in the inis you can make the game even more horrifying because you can greatly widen the "leash" the alien is on and let it really run wild. no more rattle rattle in the vents telegraphing shit it can come out where you can't hear it and properly stalk and jump you.
>>
>>387578990
when you learn about how the alien got onto Sevastopol
>>
>>387579614
Can you mod with a ps4 or is that only available for PC?
>>
Isolation understands you're a survivor who's going to do everything in their power to get off that fucking station, so they give you tools to do so

Too many modern horror games insist that the player shouldn't be able to fight back, so every confrontation ends with "oh no the monster saw me and i ran away but the monster caught up with me and killed me so I've got try that exact segment again"

but with Isolation when the player has the chance to fight off the alien and live through those confrontations it creates a much tenser atmosphere, because despite your small victory you know the alien will come back, and its not going to do it in the same way
>>
>>387579817
what do you think? technically you could but sony doesn't let you
>>
>>387576617
This game actually makes me want to cry out of frustration.
Juts the idea of having to sneak past the 5 androids again, because one gets me.
>>
>>387577159
Ghost trick and wario land are always regarded highly
>>
I am at the area in the medbay where the gas pipe explodes, and I have to navigate the concentric square hallways to access the combination lock surrounded by panoramic windows that leave me completely vulnerable. I think I got a lucky save state where the alien is absent for the whole trip to the cutscene with the computer terminal, but beyond that I always get fucked up. If I don't trigger the fire, the big fucking alien can just lumber past it without anything triggering, the cheating fuck.
>>
File: 1497279545511.jpg (46KB, 839x469px) Image search: [Google]
1497279545511.jpg
46KB, 839x469px
>>387581214
Man, re establishing the comms at the beginning was so tense.
But it's nothing compared to the Apollo core, fuck that part so much.
>>
>>387576695
this playing outlast is no different than watching a lets play.
You'll have the exact same experience, except if you find a good lets player the commentary might actually make it entertaining
>>
File: 1478503980098.png (22KB, 746x410px) Image search: [Google]
1478503980098.png
22KB, 746x410px
>>387576617

The game should have ended when you ejected the alien into space. It trails on for way too long and the actual ending sucks ass. Other then that it was pretty okay.
>>
I'm surprised that more people aren't bitching about muh cinematics. Honestly, that's the worst complaint for a game unless it's directed at Beyond Two Souls
>>
There's just something so comfy about the saving system in this game.
>>
Honestly baiting the alien to kill other humans was one of the must fun moments I had in a game, I created save files near human heavy areas just so I could play the baiting game anytime I wished.

Those first moments when their screams of defiance and rage turned into fear and despair after they see the alien coming for them were always so sweet.
>>
>>387582415
>insert card
>DOOO, BWOP BWOP BWOP
>>
>>387582513
This! And watching the lights.
>>
>>387582513
>frantically look from side to side while the card is working
>faint rattling of air duct in the distance
>take card out
>"there you are"
>>
>>387581214
litarally this
maybe i'm just a shitter but i got tired/annoyed very fast from the androids
>>
>>387582705
and getting killed while doing it
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.