[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even possible to save this series or is it lost and gone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: Mass_Effect_Original_Poster.jpg (93KB, 242x354px) Image search: [Google]
Mass_Effect_Original_Poster.jpg
93KB, 242x354px
Is it even possible to save this series or is it lost and gone forever? Did they break the franchise so completely it can never be put back together?

Help me /v/, I need ideas on how we can fix this.
>>
>>387554126
You need to have more than one good game to call a series/franchise good.

When 3/4 of the games range from forgettable to steaming pile of dog shit there's nothing that can be fixed.
>>
>>387554126
Not tasking a support studio with creating a full-fledged AAA title would probably go a long way

>>387554390
terrible post
>>
>>387554126
Nothing can come close to the first game IMO, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 2 and 3 for the story but ME1 is on a whole nother level. This style of RPG's seems to have ended, the golden age was 2000-2010 if you ask me
>>
Well let Anthem die first and then we can talk and brainstorm afterwards
>>
>>387554126
I'm playing the first one right now and so far it's good but not the greatest. I suppose it probably didn't age well.
>>
>>387554496
Considering regular Bioware now believes that ripping off Destiny is the height of creativity I wonder if it even matters anymore.
>>
mass effect was shit from the start stop deluding yourself
>>
>>387554126

You still have dragon age. Mass Effect is on hiatus. You will need to wait a few years before even considering bringing it back - you'll waste time and energy otherwise.
>>
>>387554802
Dragon Age is shit though.
>>387554750
Incorrect.
>>
>>387554126
>is this series lost and gone foreve?
for the next 5 years? yeah. it will comeback though.
> Did they break the franchise so completely it can never be put back together?
1 great game and they're back in business. andromeda storyline is a lost cause but a sequel to shepard trilogy could work if they retcon the ending of it.
>>
>>387554639
>but ME1 is on a whole nother level
I disagree, to a point.

One was amazing when it first came out because it was a new world full of mysteries and a universe to explore.
The newish dialog system was also amazingly done.
All that stuff ceases to exist these days though, when you replay the game.
And without it you start to see the flaws under the glamor.
>>
>>387554947

I'm just stating that Dragon Age is still around, unlike Mass Effect. That's all.

However, if it does not perform, it will obviously go the route of Mass Effect. And if Anthem does poorly (I don't think it will since it is targeting the Destiny crowd), then Bioware will be in real trouble.
>>
File: IMG_4552.jpg (46KB, 379x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4552.jpg
46KB, 379x503px
>>387554390
Do people actually think like this?
>>
>>387555206
Why would the Destiny crowd play Anthem when they have Destiny?
>>
>>387554126
It's done man, there is nothing to be done, Shepard's story just cannot continue, too much of a hassle to rewrite shit and get Shepard back on board but whatever they could do I'm sure it would just feel dissapointing.

Andromeda's story arc is pretty much dead too thanks to the studio so I don't know how would you even continue a story. The best we can hope for is an HD port for PS4 and Xbone of the trilogy with DLCs.
>>
File: 1501644964762.gif (4MB, 448x251px) Image search: [Google]
1501644964762.gif
4MB, 448x251px
>>387554126
I'm hoping ME:A didn't kill the franchise. There are so few Sci FI RPG's in existence. I want ME to continue just for that sheer factor alone.

I didn't hate ME:A nearly as much as I thought I would either. The gameplay was fantastic, the story was meh, and some of the characters were alright. Would definitely want stronger RPG aspects in any future enstallments.
>>
The things people criticized it over were inherent problems of the concept. Cinematic storytelling, large roster of characters and meaningful choices do not fit. What is good for RPG elements is rarely good for FPS elements. Bioware just lacks the ability to create personality in their settings.
>>
>>387555623
>The gameplay was fantastic

You're an idiot.
>>
>>387555504

It's designed to appeal to them. Whether it does or not remains to be seen. Just because they play destiny does not mean they won't try this game as well.
>>
Move on with your life.
>>
Set the next game in Andromeda but 500 years later or something.
The whole galaxy has been explored, man made mass relays set up, all the new Andromeda aliens discovered and a galactic council set up.
The lingering plot threads from ME4 are dealt with as backstory. There were major wars and stuff and they're talked about the same way the original game references the first contact war or rachni war.
>>
>>387555626
Good thing it isn't an FPS then.

And you're wrong, they RPG elements worked great in one and would have in other installments by tweaking the combat controls so they weren't shit and cleaning up the inventory. The story, characters, lore, and cinematics were also great until the last ten minutes of three.
>>
>>387555504
Destiny 2 is looking to be nothing except complete fucking trash unless you are real interested in the competitive scene, they're going to lose a bunch of players who still have a scratch that needs itching
>>
It's dead, buddy.
>>
It was always meant to be a trilogy. Let it fucking die and make a new series. U loved mass effect but I don't need an anual release or even a new game. Fuck. I get why lazy companies need to keep playing it safe and lazy on known IP, but fuck fans for perpetuating this. We don't need another fucking Star Wars either Anakain is dead. And Assassin's Creed was supposed to be a fucking trilogy.
>>
>>387555852
Have you seen the autism of Destiny fags? Can't imagine them having the time for any other game much less Destiny lite. This thing has bomb written all over it.
>>
>>387555803
In regards to a Mass Effect game, it was the best in series bar none, and the only thing the game did right.

Maybe I should've stated that's what I meant.
>>
File: 1370919798544.jpg (13KB, 237x233px) Image search: [Google]
1370919798544.jpg
13KB, 237x233px
>mfw people are talking about mass effect and you just hear the galaxy theme from the first one in your head
>Mass effect 1 was almost 10 years ago
The potential it had.
>>
>>387555498
You can't deny the series has been shit far more than it has been good.
One game does not a series make. One game is a fluke.
>>
>>387556091
I want a new trilogy and arc, it doesn't have to be part of Shepard's story. The idea behind Andromeda was totally solid the problem was they completely fucked up every single aspect of it due to pervasive incompetence and a complete lack of creativity. Something great could have come out of the premise but due it being made by talentless retards the result was a technically broken fanfic.
>>
>>387555803
Combat was miles better than it being yet another Gears clone, but it still has its problems

Nomad driving was good, but the map design was mostly bad and the only planet that really took advantage of it was the Exile planet where you constantly were speeding down a mountain and the Asteroid chunk with no gravity. Otherwise it was just mostly flat openings with impassible environments to stop you from crossing the map too quickly.
>>
File: 1484848235563.gif (1MB, 634x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484848235563.gif
1MB, 634x480px
>>387554126
There's not much else you can do with the series.

I guess you could maybe set it like 50 years into the future of Andromeda or something and expand it from there, but honestly I feel that a new space opera RPG IP would be better.
>>
i want a game where the other races are actual alien races and not humans with wacky heads. developers need to quit copy-pasting tv shows that already were stretching that way too thin. in a video game there's no makeup or costume limitations, aliens can be done way better. and i want play as these aliens instead of yet another human savior.
>>
I honestly don't know if Bioware will even be around by the time EA would consider doing another one.

Anthem has a major possibility of flopping hard depending on how it turns out and if the market has interest in having a destiny clone.

Dragon Age is kind of floundering, and even though Inquisition was far better then II, it felt like there was a general lack of interest in addition to the damage that II did to the series.

A new KOTOR game is unlikely with TOR still being around, unless Disney commissions it eventually (Which I highly doubt, they would rather make Battlefront + Cheap mobile games)

No joke, I get the feeling Bioware is on its last legs, and if Anthem doesn't do well then I can totally see EA gutting the company and hoarding the licenses.
>>
>>387556813
But anon, in Bioware games you need to be able to fuck everything.
>>
>>387555504
This anon gets it. You'd be amazed how many gaming is dead because, X is popular thusfore everygame is going to try and be X, because people in interested in X just keep buying infinite of the same game appearantly. Even if anthem is better, destiny has a larger install base. So if your friends play destiny, you play destiny, good luck getting everyone to switch.
>>387556450
Every story driven series should have a clear endpoint that is kept. Andromeda was never going to be good. Passable at best.
>>
>>387554675
The first one is by far the worst gameplay wise. ME2 is far better in that aspect. It does have a good exploration aspect that the other two in the trilogy are lacking. Story is decent too in that one.
>>
>>387556931
bioware will ultimate go the way of maxis. all the major talent has already left and all that remains is a husk being animated by nu-devs. this will go on a for a few more years before bioware ultimately being absorbed and renamed to something like ea space.
>>
Unfortunately, it's gone. The setting actually doesn't have quite as much potential as people think it does because of the way they wrapped things up in the main series and there's just a legacy of disappointment at this point. I would totally be done for somebody taking another crack at a space opera RPG, but the Mass Effect IP doesn't have a ton of value to add to that anymore.

I actually think some of what they were trying to do in Andromeda was a good idea, but it was all so fucking terribly done.
>>
>>387556760
They wanted to do a game set during the First Contact War but they did a poll and the majority obviously wanted a sequel to the OT. So they went "Ok, but we'll set in 600 years in the future in a different galaxy so we don't have to account for your choices :^)" and they fucked even that up
>>
>>387556931
I don't even care. Bioware has 0 talent left. I honestly can think of quite a few studios EA could license the IP to or hire to make the games that would be better than Bioware. Hell even some internal studios probably.
I mean, it won't happen but i still can dream of an obsidian made Dragon Age on EA bankroll.
>>
>>387557269
A 40k inquisitor RPG in the style of mass effect would work pretty well. All you'd need to do for half the systems is just rename them (paragon becomes purist, renegade becomes heretical or whatever)
>>
>>387557269
This. The actual concept of the game actually is pretty intriguing, but the way they handled planets having next to nothing combined with only 2 new races (And only 1 new friendly one) fucked the game over hard. Not to mention the lackluster story that never really goes anywhere outside setting up sequels that will not happen, or will mostly be ignored if there is ever another ME game.

I don't quite think Andromeda is absolutely terrible (I played it back in may when it was heavily discounted and had been patched quite a bit), but it was a massive disappointment.
>>
File: 1492366354152.png (339KB, 680x660px) Image search: [Google]
1492366354152.png
339KB, 680x660px
>>387554126
We don't try to fix it, we let it die. There's no point in dragging the maggot infested corpse through the town any more than it already has been. Andromeda made sure that the series is going to actually be buried now and thank fuck for that. I really enjoyed the trilogy, even though 3 took a massive dip in quality. Andromeda was utter trash.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc
>>
Is Andromeda even worth playing for free if you're a huge fan of the series and stayed clear of it at launch because you were worried it would be a huge disappointment and have since come to terms with the fact that it won't be good?
>>
>>387558160
No.
>>
>>387557756
>but the way they handled planets having next to nothing combined with only 2 new races (And only 1 new friendly one)
How did something like this even happen? Was it just laziness or did the entire studio have no clue what made the series so special to so many people?
>>
File: 1500253744659.jpg (82KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500253744659.jpg
82KB, 720x960px
>>387558229
okay
>>
>>387558160
Andromeda has some OK parts. I played it for about 65 hours and completed about 90% of the missions.

Lot of filler crap and the story never really goes anywhere, but there are a few interesting missions (The loyalty missions are probably the best part of the game, even if they are nowhere near as good as previous ones).

The loading is horrendous though, especially when you have to go to multiple planets for quests.
>>
>>387558385
Are the characters as shit as they appear?
>>
>>387558273
Combination of the two. Game apparently had a ton of re-writes, cut content, and the majority of it was made in under 2 years due to various engine fuck ups and retooling with Frostbite being more of a FPS engine then a RPG one.

That, and the lead writer was a bit of a idiot from what people on the project said.
>>
>>387558684
What did they say about him?
>>
>>387558628
It largely depends.

Visually, they look a lot better patched then they did in the EA Access version I played. However, they still have a plastic, weird look to them that still doesn't match up to the original art style. The actual environments look pretty decent though, one of the few positives of the game.

Story-wise? Eh. I didn't like most of the team outside Drack (Who was basically a elderly Wrex). The Angara are kinda interesting and I like some of their backstory, but they all look very similar to each other and being the 1 new friendly race makes them feel underwhelming. The NPC stuff is hit or miss, although there was some legit moments that was pretty cringy due to some horrendous voice acting or bad writing.
>>
>>387554126
Why save it? Bioware doesn't make games anymore.
>>
>>387556813
My understanding is that there are still limitations that make very inhuman characters difficult to do well. They require different facial animations, skeletons, etc. And while this isn't a big deal for minor characters or cannon fodder enemies, I can see it becoming a big resource sink if you have too many of them as main characters.
>>
File: BOSHTET.png (721KB, 1297x687px) Image search: [Google]
BOSHTET.png
721KB, 1297x687px
>>387557846
I saw Faunts live while I was in Washington because of M4 playing at the end, I was so hopeful for the series back in 2009 when I first played it after the PC version hit $5, which was an especially good deal since the crack was fucky on AMD CPU's when you got to the galaxy map. Playing SC2 before probably put me in the mood for something like that, but on a bigger scale

Fun fact that I discovered while ripping the music a few days ago: there's an unused variant of the love theme in there, it's pretty tight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECcDavzJGzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtH7TPL04bw
>>
ME and Bioware about both toast. The real question is whether or not we'll ever see an oldschool space opera setting like the one they made for ME1. The ME setting was made by nerds who grew up on classic science fiction. The scifi settings of the future will be made by millennials whose sources of influence are more recent stuff that is more derivative and of generally inferior quality.
>>
>>387555890
/thread
>>
Yes.

Just introduce hebephilia, animations for entering/exiting vehicles, underwater exploration, space battles and more aliens.
>>
>>387554750

This is shit?

https://youtu.be/u4SFXIzNf1o
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.