[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been on a big Mega Man research project, and my conclusion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 1502802307357[1].jpg (2MB, 2429x3501px) Image search: [Google]
1502802307357[1].jpg
2MB, 2429x3501px
I've been on a big Mega Man research project, and my conclusion is that the two most important figures on MM1-2 were Akira Kitamura and programmer Nobuyuki Matsushima. Kitamura created the story, the characters, directed the game, created the levels, and designed Rock, Roll, Dr. Light. Matsushima created the game engine, which dictated the pace of the game, which because it was so slow, made Kitamura alter his plans for the game. Initially he envisioned a faster paced game. Matsushima also created the gimmick that MM changes color when changing weapons. Kitamura had initially thought of having a symbol on the head of the character but this wasn't working out.

Inafune joined the team mid-way through production, so most of the main cast had already been designed. His job was to design the last two Robot Masters, Elec Man and Bomb Man. He also designed Dr. Wiley and the majority of the regular enemies, including fan favorites like Sniper Joe and Metall. Inafune did the illustrations for the game and designed the game's logo. He did the box art and other promotional material, and along with the rest of the art team worked on pixel art animations.

Kitamura leaves the series after 2 due to not getting along with his bosses, especially Fujiwara. Fujiwara was against the idea of making MM2 in the first place. The new director of MM3 leaves the project part way through, and Inafune seems to have taken more of a leadership role at that point. As the series goes he becomes more important to the series. The first protagonist he designs is Zero for MMX. Then after Fujiwara left Inafune replaces him as series producer, starting with MM8.
>>
>>387506727

Sources:

Mega Man Complete Works
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dpgpc1bvb9fhbu7/MM25pt1.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/39lqyqklp10vxek/MM25pt2.zip

Kitamura:
http://shmuplations.com/megaman/
http://aknote.hatenablog.com/entry/gameplanning.002

Inafune interviews:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tgs-07-mega-man-celebrates-20th-anniversary/1100-6179759/
https://www.destructoid.com/keiji-inafune-dropped-mad-mega-man-secrets-on-me-261362.phtml
>>
>>387508263

Thank you for the bump friend.
>>
>>387506727
very interesting OP, hope this starts to become more common knowledge.
>>
>>387509207

It's all public info, mostly art books published in the last 10 years.
>>
File: Ciel.jpg (229KB, 1148x1884px) Image search: [Google]
Ciel.jpg
229KB, 1148x1884px
MM2 > MM3 > MM9 > MM4 > MM1 > MM7 > MM5 > MM6 > MM8
>>
This is interesting, thanks anon.
>>
>>387509721
MM2 is overrated. 3, 4 and 9 are the best games in the series imo.
>>
>>387510139

2 was a huge seller, and the one that perfected the formula. It has way more polish than 1.
>>
File: kitamura and fujiwara.jpg (596KB, 771x2034px) Image search: [Google]
kitamura and fujiwara.jpg
596KB, 771x2034px
Fujiwara and the Capcom sales guys were against Mega Man 2 and told Kitamura to work on some other game. Kitamura was a true believer, and had always envisioned MM as a series. He went to the Capcom vice President in charge of his division to get permission, going over Fujiwara's head. Fujiwara and Kitamura's disagreements are why he left.
>>
>>387510167
>perfected
Established the formula, sure. Perfected, no. It's not a bad game but it has way too many flaws (questionable stage design, boring bosses, weapon imbalance etc.) for it to be a pinnacle of the series. Every game following 2 built upon and improved the fundamental basics that 2 established.
>>
If only people cared about facts before Conman got his millions and ran.
>>
Uhh no that's not how it works sweetie, i don't care what your little history books say; inafune is a CONMAN because its epic lols and that's that.
>>
File: director producer.jpg (133KB, 1434x482px) Image search: [Google]
director producer.jpg
133KB, 1434x482px
>>387510820
>If only people cared about facts before Conman got his millions and ran.

Some people knew. This was from the very first MN9 thread. Inafune is an artist, producer, and dabbles a bit on the creative side but goes no more than "ideas guy". This is all very typical of producers. The actual core team members who direct/design the game are who make it memorable. But the producers get all the credit since they get all the media attention.
>>
> that kid who wrote a dissertation about megaman
>>
>>387510820
>>387510894

Conman is a funny thing to joke around about, but the truth is that Inafune is a failed businessman and his companies flopped. He didn't take any money and ran. It was all spent on development, but the games didn't sell. Inafune is a fool, but he's not malicious. And Inti-Creates, who were the dev team who made MN9 deserve much more flack.
>>
File: best robot master.jpg (340KB, 702x923px) Image search: [Google]
best robot master.jpg
340KB, 702x923px
>>387506727
Anyone who ever read into the Akira Kitamura interview knows this. Didn't know about Nobuyuki though.

Also, Cut Man was confirmed for proto Mega Man.
>>
>>387511174

Nobuyuki Matsushima himself has an interview in Famitsu which was posted online by Capcom. It's untranslated and likely has some nice tidbits.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/rockmanunity/archives/8436419.html
>>
>>387511174

More Rockman secrets:

One idea for the story was to have Roll be kidnapped and you have to rescue her. This explains why Roll was created at all, considering she plays almost no roll in the first game. Another idea was to have a giant enemy Roll statue that you fight.

http://kobun20.interordi.com/2012/12/28/think-about-your-troubles/
>>
I think that Inafune gets too hard a reputation. I think he was great as series producer. 8 and X4 were really great, visually and tonally, if nothing else.

8 is my favorite because of how colorful and visually pretty it is, as well as the super 90's soundtrack.

and X4 is anime as fuck in general. Legends 1 and 2 themselves were also really good to me.
>>
>>387511069
>but goes no more than "ideas guy"
This does not fucking fly when he literally designed two of gaming's greatest characters with dr. Wily and Zero. That goes more than an ideas guy, definitively.
>>
>>387513025

He was an artist, but he did way less designing and art the more he became a producer. And he went years as a producer without designing anything. For Mega Man 9 he contributed Splash Woman and Plug Man. For MN9 for instance, he contributed exactly one design to the final game: Trinity. Most of his designing days were early in his career.
>>
How come no one told me MM5 is fun as fuck? Where did the meme that the later MM games were bad start?

MM4 isn't very good tho
>>
How unfinished was megaman 3? It's my favorite one but i've always heard it was meant to have more content
>>
>>387513482
None of the nes titles are bad, they're derivative and stale at worst but by no mean genuinely bad.
>>
>>387512279
>>387512279
>I think that Inafune gets too hard a reputation.

Inafune's rep got blown way out of proportion, and combined with MN9 lackluster quality, it resulted in a backlash.
>>
>>387513597

Rushed and troubled production. Kitamura, Matsushima, and Tateishi didn't return, so all their roles had to be replaced. The new director Masayoshi Kurokawa left half way through production. It has tons of small and major bugs, as well as the most slowdown out of the original NES Mega man games.
>>
>>387513631
Ah ok. But there are pretty clear differences between all of them. MM4 and MM5 for instance, MM4's weapons are absolutely useless and the graphics, levels, and bosses aren't as good as MM5's.
>>
>>387513482
I've played 1-8 and they all are very good games that add something new to the formula every title.
MM4 is the least memorable in my opinion though, even so pharaoh man is one of my favorite robot masters

>>387513832
That's a shame
>>
>>387514239
>That's a shame

There's a standard glitch on the stage select screen of MM3. Everyone thinks it's an emulator glitch.

Romhacks have fixed a lot of the bugs and slowdown in MM3 too.

I can't remember if the PS1 versions fix the bugs or not. They removed slowdown from all of them though.
>>
>>387513482
Blame reviewers and even some (casual) fans because they got tired of the later classic game being the same old and same old.
>>
>>387516846

Series got rehashy with too many series, too many sequels.
>>
>>387514239
>MM4 is the least memorable in my opinion though, even so pharaoh man is one of my favorite robot masters

Yup, I'm in complete agreement. I even like Toad Man and Ring Man. Skull Man would be great if his shield wasn't total shit, but then the only useful shield in the whole series (iirc) is in MM9.

>>387516846
"Blame reviewers" is a good course of action in most cases.
>>
MM9 > MM2 > MM10 = MM3 > MM5 > MM4 > MM1

still gotta play 6, 7, 8
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.