[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to be a productive and well-rounded person while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 16

File: chad.jpg (172KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
chad.jpg
172KB, 500x375px
Is it possible to be a productive and well-rounded person while also having your main hobby be video games?
I want oldfags to answer more. How did playing video games your whole life into your 30s affect your life overall? Your work, personal life, health, all that stuff.
Is it a worthwhile hobby to pursue? If you could, would you go back and take up something else as your main hobby and maybe only play video games casually?
>>
>>387437083
33 here. Video games are not a problem at all. They don't conflict in any way with my personal and professional life.

/v/, on the other hand, does. A lot.
>>
File: thinker.png (24KB, 460x648px) Image search: [Google]
thinker.png
24KB, 460x648px
>>387437083
I'm in my twenties, not an oldfag but I've decided to give up on getting new video games. The thing is I've got an enormous backlog to play through. It'll probably take me until I'm 30 to beat all of these games. But I've put everything else first: my health, my career, my social life. If you ask me vidya is the biggest waste of time ever created. You want an entertaining story? Go to the cinema and watch a movie, it's only two hours of your time and you still have to go outside for it. Want competition? Play a sport, you get exercise that way and it's just as fun (if not more-so because it's real). Reality>virtual reality. I wish I would've realized this sooner.
>>
>>387437740
So if you've realized all this, why not stop playing? What keeps you coming back?
>>
>>387437083
>Is it possible to be a productive and well-rounded person

Depends on your definition of these things. The way you talk about it sounds like you want to be a wage slave
>>
>>387437892
I didn't waste thousands of my dollars to dump my games in the trash, video games are still fun at the end of the day. But they are not worth it in the long run. If I could do things differently I would've saved my money. As it is now I'm stuck with this stuff for the near future. I figure if I'm outside living life or at the gym all day improving myself I can spare a few hours here and there to play through my backlog. But I will not allow my backlog to grow anymore, that's for damn sure. Even a game comes and will probably be the greatest of the generation (like Cyberpunk 2077 or something) I will still avoid it.
>>
>>387438364
What would be your personal definition?
>>
>>387438494
>productive
Doing something you love
>Well rounded
Not having your life dominated by a single hobby
>>
>>387438491
I think you have a sunk-cost fallacy. If you are serious about not wanting to buy any more video games, then you really should cut your losses now and pawn off all your shit.
>>
>>387438716
>doing something you love
If a person loved playing video games, would you describe them as a productive person?
>>
>>387438718
Not gonna happen. I paid for what I own, I play it. Simply as that. I can however not pay for more games in the future. So maybe I'm still gonna be into this hobby for a few more years but a decade from now I'll have outgrown it entirely. As long as I'm not a lifer it's fine by me.
>>
>>387438958
If they are using their time to do something they love then yes.
>>
>>387438958
If it doesn't get in the way of other responsibilities, yes.
>>
>>387438958
A person can also love masturbating. If a guy jerks off all day I would not consider that person to be productive. I'm not that anon but when he says "love" I'm assuming he means something that he really has a passion for. Usually, when people are passionate about something they are not passionate about consuming but instead creating. Someone passionate about movies usually wants to be a movie director but there's a difference between that and someone who watches Netflix 24/7 because they have nothing better to do with their life.
>>
File: 1502599207039.gif (826KB, 696x478px) Image search: [Google]
1502599207039.gif
826KB, 696x478px
30 years old here, have been gaming since I was 3. NOTHING on this Earth has held me back as much as video games. Anyone who says videogame addiction is okay is a fucking addict. I specifically have spent the last ten years playing video games WAY too much and regret it immensely. I have a decent life and am a productive member of society, but I could be so much further along in my career had I stopped. They're made to be addicting and really good at it, especially if your life sucks. They are a symptom to a larger problem which is basically electronic addiction. Games reward your brain almost exactly like drugs and normal life seems pale in comparison to the quick fix a game can give you. Then, ten years later you look back and have literally accomplished nothing except beaten a few games. I feel myself slowly growing out of video games due to adult life seriously ramping up and kicking my ass. Do you remember that feeling of when you stopped liking to play with action figures? It feels a LOT like that. You try to have fun, but you just don't anymore and you're not sure why. But it's because you're older now and you require bigger, more important things to have fun. You can possibly still be moderately productive, but you can't reach your full potential while addicted to video games. If you say you aren't addicted, then stop for two weeks. If you would have ant difficulty doing this, you are addicted.
>>
>>387439432
But isn't playing video games the equivalent of watching netlfix, and not directing a movie?
>>
>>387439223
Better to do it sooner than later. But you're a grown man, you'll make your own decisions.
>>
>>387439548
It is, playing video games is the same as watching Netflix. Designing video games would be the equivalent of making movies.
>>
>>387439669
So then playing video games can't be defined as productive, because you're not really producing anything. Unless you're a twitch streamer or something like that.
>>
Video games only have a bad influence during school and university, since you are supposed to study in your free time at home, but when having a job you can do whatever you want in the evening and weekends without affecting your performance, as long you don't play all night
>>
>>387439526
The only thing that held you back was you. Video games are just a scape goat
>>
>>387439298
That sort of thinking doesn't seem practical to me.
>>
>>387439863
I never said it was productive, I'm saying the exact opposite.
>>
>>387439892
In my lack of will power against them, yes. To argue spending all day playing video games every day would not hold someone back is asinine.
>>
Pocrastinating on /v/ is a bigger threat to being productive than videogames.
>>
Who needs to be 'productive'?
If you're happy with who you are, what you do and you're not living in a cave, who gives a fuck?
>>
>>387439886
Why not study more about your field of employment to give yourself an edge over others? Is playing video games in your 20s really a good use of your time?
>>
File: 1437396866387.jpg (110KB, 735x900px) Image search: [Google]
1437396866387.jpg
110KB, 735x900px
>>387437083
>How did playing video games your whole life into your 30s affect your life overall? Your work, personal life, health, all that stuff.
Not even in the slightest.
Everything about my own existence that is fucked up (and it is everything) is entirely my own fault.

People blame games for their problems, but it's really that they have problems and that is why they turned to games in the first place. There is absolutely nothing about enjoying them that should ever ruin your life.

All you need to know is that there is time for hobby, and time for more important things. For work, for friends, for socializing, for family.

A lot of people who play games excessively do have tendencies towards addiction. Some are just lazy fucks. Some are escapist, evasive, cowards, messy, associal, depressed.
But their problems are: untreated propensity to addiction, laziness, cowardice, escapism, evasive personality, depression.

Not the damn bloody games. People mess their lives up because there is something wrong with them, not because of the medium they enjoy.

That said, OP:
Read. There is nothing wrong with playing games, but people need to fucking read more. Read, and go out with some friends every now and there.
>>
>>387440039
To spend all day doing any hobby would hold anyone back. Its not something specific to video games its something exclusive to your addictive personality
>>
>>387440090
>If you're happy with who you are
Because A) the odds are that you are not actually happy with who you are if you aren't productive, and B) the odds also are that if you aren't productive now, even if you happen to be happy now, you will almost certainly not be happy once the damn debts start to catching up with you.
>>
>>387440090
Get outta here ya commie.
>>
>>387440217
Hence me qualifying myself with 'as long as you're not living in a cave'
>>
I'm in my early twenties, but i spent my entire teenage years playing games in a "competitive" format and i had nothing to show for it, and the sense of accomplishment was very temporary.

I think now, I continue trying to be good at certain games just in the hopes of doing streaming and entertaining people in some way. That drives me a lot and if that weren't there I don't think I could justify spending my time on videogames. There are other things in life I should be doing instead, especially if I ever want to make it.
>>
>>387440176
>if you aren't productive,

Not everyone is a wage slave. Just having a few moments of happiness between the slog of real life is enough for some.
>>
>>387440302
Yeah. Being productive generally means "making sure you won't end up in a cave in the FUTURE".
>>
>>387440107
If you work in a grocery store or flip burgers you certainly don't care about that during your precious free time after doing that shit for 8 hours a day. Nobody cares what people do in their free time as long they perform well during work time
>>
>>387440118
But if video games are hurting more than they're helping, especially in the long-run, are they worth playing, or should you quit as soon as you can? I'm thinking about 40 to 50 years from now.
>>
>>387440118
>All you need to know is that there is time for hobby, and time for more important things. For work, for friends, for socializing, for family.
I agree with you but at the same time video games are kind of designed to suck the life away from you, especially games that last hundreds of hours. A movie is a couple of hours. A TV show is an hour a week for a new episode. Only video games require too much free time to be dedicated towards it. It would've been better off never being invented at this point.
>>
>>387437083
Of course it is.

There are people that watch TV in near all their spare time
There are people that spend all their spare time in the pub
There are "people" that spend all their spare time squatting on a bridge with a bottle of cider in the freshest of trackies

Yet somehow that encroaches on having a fulfilling life and the others are perfectly normal.

The looking down on video games as a pass time has been around since they were invented. It's the same as ANY other pass time, you can do it in moderation and have a productive life. If you neglect your life for ANY 1 thing then it's a problem.
Video games have fuck all to do with this question.
>>
>>387437083
>video games
>hobby
>>
>>387437740
>>387438491
>>387439223
Not gonna lie you sound like a total fucking retard. You just wrote a string of posts talking about why video games are dumb, and yet you continue to play them. Seriously I can't even. This is the dumbest thing I've probably read all year.
>>
>>387440348
So why not drop video games entirely? What's stopping you? Is it this place? Is it because you've done it for so long now its just a part of who you are and what you do?
>>
>your main hobby
It's too late. You clearly already have autism.
>>
>>387440107

Most people aren't passionate about something that can provide safe income. Work is about financing the bullshit you do outside of work (and survival) in general. Why would you waste your time doing shit you don't enjoy outside of work? If you have an extreme interest in something marketable or the kind of competetive spirit to spend every waking hour on a business of your own, that's fucking great, but forcing yourself into it sounds like a good way to be miserable.
>>
>>387440646
I never said they're dumb. I said they're fun. But they are a waste of time, deal with it or don't you fucking asshole.
>>
>>387440432
Work's got a pension scheme, I pay into it, it's on top of a state one.
Feels good living in a 'commie' country, huh?
>>
>>387440630
By definition they are. Reminder that your personal definition doesn't matter for shit, only the real definition.
>>
>>387440437
But if you are flipping burgers, the best way to ensure you won't have to flip burgers in the future is to be productive outside work and look for opportunities that could land you a better job.
And I'm not talking about what other people think here, I'm talking about your personal long term satisfaction.
>>
>>387437083
Late 20s, don't really feel like they've held me back. I never turn down social shit to play video games and I have plenty of other hobbies.

As far as using them to procrastinate sometimes, I'm honest enough with myself to know that I would just use something else if I didn't have games. I used to procrastinate by cleaning when I'd banned myself from games. The time I play games during is the time my peers watch netflix or do whatever else.
>>
Late 20's here, so probably not as much of an oldfag as you wanted input from, but I figure I may as well share anyways.

I would be naive to say that gaming has not held me back somewhat in my life. I would also be naive to say that I'm not addicted to playing video games. The fact of the matter is that gaming is my primary form of entertainment, and I have spent way too much time on it.

I would have to agree with >>387439886
to an extent. I found it was much more of an issue during my adolescence, especially in college. My motivation for actually performing well in school was horrible, and it was mostly due to me wanting to spend most of my time at home playing games. Somehow, I made it work, and eventually got myself a comfy "adult" office job.

At that point, it feels different. No longer is it an issue of gaming directly affecting what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. Instead, it's now more of a detriment to my personal well being. It doesn't impact my ability to do my job at all, I'm responsible enough that I go to bed on time, get up on time, get to work, and do my job. What it does impact is things like motivating myself to go to the gym, spending time outside, and being more social than I am currently.

In my opinion, gaming, just like most hobbies, is dangerous to spend too much time with. It's healthier to try to find multiple hobbies to do. That being said, I don't think spending a couple of hours a night gaming is going to hurt anyone, so long as they're responsible.
>>
File: vidyo.png (2MB, 800x810px) Image search: [Google]
vidyo.png
2MB, 800x810px
>>387437083
Of course you fucking retard, theres no actual rule against it and you can always make time. You've been taking memes too seriously, take a look at it without your /v/ filter. You can do whatever you want.
>>
>>387440654
my answer to that is just really ludicrous out loud, I want to stream / make videos related to video games and create a little community that I can personally socialize with. I've wanted to do that since 2008 or 2009, but I was too young to know how, and also had very bad internet. That's why I keep playing games.

It just feels important to me, but I have other goals in my life as well, and videogames could never distract me from those no matter what.
>>
>>387440732
>browses 4chan
>not autistic

Fucking wew laddy.
>>
>>387440176
We're not talking about old hobbies, and shit like fucking stamp collecting isn't literally designed to get people addicted to it. Movies aren't interactive nor are they Skinner boxes. Books are not programmed to be addicted not are many many other hobbies. Your point is fucking stupid and I've heard it literally thousands of times as well as all the other addict COPING METHODS.
>>
>>387440107
Only interesting if you're in a creative career choice. Otherwise for people that don't like partying and social get-togethers video games seem like all there is but I'd advise traveling and spending time in nature (perhaps with friends or a partner) as the best way to spend free time.
>>
>>387440107
Work to live. I'm not interested in living to work. Those people all die from heart failure in their 50s or die when they retire because they forgot to develop hobbies and a life.
>>
No. It's impossible.

If you play video games as a main hobby, and that means more than 1 hour a week of gaming, then you are not productive enough. Also, if you go to 4chan you are not a good person. So anyone answering your thread with a positive response is lying.
>>
>>387440764
Nothing is a "waste" of time. If you do what you enjoy its time not wasted.

At the end of the day you will never be Alexander the Great of Julius Caesar. You will never be remembered through the ages, and you and me and everyone we know and love will be forgotten about shortly after we die save for a select few special individuals. Those destined to be remembered throughout the ages sure as hell aren't shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>387440808
I personally look down on these jobs, but you have to respect that some also enjoy what they do.
Btw, posting on imageboards is also not productive and you could do something more useful than pushing meta discussions
>>
>>387441397
I'm gonna find you and shoot you john lennon
>>
>>387437083
>Is it possible to be a productive and well-rounded person
Yes.
>while also having your main hobby be video games?
Sure. as long as gaming isn't your only hobby. Have some productive side interest like working out, drawing, writing, ect. A mind and body is a terrible thing to waste.
>How did playing video games your whole life into your 30s affect your life overall?
They didn't and you'd be kidding yourself to prioritize it over other aspects in your life.
>Is it a worthwhile hobby to pursue?
Most things aren't unless you either A.) Can make money from it, or B.) its about your overall heath. Video games are just entertainment, and if they keep you entertained and interested then its fine.
>If you could, would you go back and take up something else as your main hobby and maybe only play video games casually?
I'd of tried streaming my vidya or doing game design. I don't particularly regret playing games, just the shitty games I wasted my time on.
>>
>Productive
Is this an american thing?
What does that even mean? Being a wageslave? Taking pissing contests on who gets the bigger paychecks from your boss?
And if you're on 4chan you're obviously not a "well-rounded person" to begin with.
>>
>>387441543
>And if you're on 4chan you're obviously not a "well-rounded person" to begin with.
Leaving 4chan is the final redpill.
>>
File: 1502340664220.jpg (132KB, 1024x789px) Image search: [Google]
1502340664220.jpg
132KB, 1024x789px
>>387437083

I work 4 days a week, have a wife, and play video games roughly once a day. I'm 32 and work in a pharmaceutical lab.

I prefer to play games that are more skill-based than just addictive timesinks. Been playing a lot of Sonic Mania, oh and I am a white nationalist - but I don't hate non-white people or jews.
>>
>>387441397
Good thing I only post on 4chan maybe two or three times a year at this point. I haven't been on in a few months and I just happen to find this thread. Now isn't that a sign.
>>
>>387437083
You can't play games the way you used to when you are devoting such massive portions of your time to work/woman/keeping your house in order. When I just had an apartment with my gf and a part time job, I could still play a fair amount of games. I couldn't marathon multiplayer games like I used to or pull all nighters with an rpg that I couldn't put down, but I could still find time. Once I got a house, it started to seriously cut into things. Not only do I have work and girlfriend to deal with, but you have to spend some of that free time fixing shit, working on the house, and doing yard work. You can't fuck up your sleep and you learn fast not to shirk your responsibilities. I don't have time to be very good at multiplayer games, so I have largely stopped playing them, its just too frustrating. Any game with mostly teenagers is insufferable and its not fun spending your 10-12 hours of free time a week getting destroyed and not improving either. I mainly stick to single player games and it takes me a while to beat them. I can't play nearly as many games anymore, so when I'm deciding what to play I mainly stick to old games that are pretty well established as being worth playing. I really can't be bothered with most newer games, they just aren't engaging and I'd rather do something else if I want to turn my brain off for a while.
>>
>>387437740
Lol who cares

You can play video games and still be able to do healthy things as well. My gf and I both play games but we also exercise a little and eat healthy most of them time while also holding down jobs+school

You don't have to forgo one just to have the other. If you have fun then it isn't a "waste"
>>
>>387437083
No. Almost any activity, save doing heroin, is better for your health than video games.
>>
>>387441850
Of course you can you dunce. The real question is whether or not you should.
>>
>>387437083
Spending your time playing vidya is no different than spending all your time scrolling through your phone or vegetating in front of a television, which is what virtually everybody else at your office does with their time.
I don't know why this board is so insecure about the fucking board topic. As long as you aren't shirking the rest of your life to grind mobs 20 hours a day it doesn't matter.
>>
>>387437083
If you have a sense of priorities, gaming turns into a hobby and less of a lifestyle?
I'm 33, with 1 kid, one on the way, and I've been married for 5 years. I work 40ish hours a week, and will use early mornings and late nights to play games. I still get in 15-20 hours of gaming a week usually. I still have other hobbies, and hang with friends and junk. Again, it's all about a priority swap.
>>
File: 1454959826295.jpg (61KB, 164x234px) Image search: [Google]
1454959826295.jpg
61KB, 164x234px
>>387437740
>Reality>virtual reality.
>thinker.png

You have no idea what you're talking about. Reality is what you make of it, nothing more.
If you're talking about the consensus reality then you're very clearly under significant influence of your peers who condemn any form of reality they can't comprehend and you blindly agree with them.
>>
>>387441956
And to that I say "who cares"

I spend my free time either hanging with friends or playing games and I have fun so who gives a fuck if I "should" or not

As long as important responsibilities are still getting done, it shouldn't matter what I do for fun as long as it's legal and not killing me
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
5e2.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
28 here. The addiction is real. I spent lot of my young hood playing videogames, but, met amazing friends and cherish many of those years.

Sure, if i were not that addicted to the vidya, i would had better grades and interships and shit, but dueto liking videogames so much. I forced myselft to learn howto program. Finished a SE carreer and here i am, postingn /v/ as a code monkey. The pay is good tou
>>
>>387441850
I exercise a lot and eat healthy all of the time, the healthier I've gotten the more I've avoided video games as a result. There has to be a link there.
>>
>>387442029
The question isn't if video games are socially acceptable, or what other people do with their time.
>>
>>387442169
Maybe for you but I don't think there is unless you somehow see enjoying your hobby as "unhealthy" even though playing games isn't inherently unhealthy
>>
File: 1408669114034-5409.png.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1408669114034-5409.png.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
>>387437619

This

>all those days wasted of doing nothing but browsing 4chan from noon to midnight
>>
>>387441159
ok retard, just keep blaming the evil video games for making you waste all that time and never bother to question if maybe you could have done something about it instead
>>
>>387437619
The real truth. My life really went downhill after I discovered this place.
>>
>>387442120
No you fool, reality is reality. Reality is using your real body to do things in the real world. Interacting with nature, getting into shape, making love to a woman. That is reality. Virtual reality is you with a helmet on your head in the corner of your room with a controller in one hand and a fleshlight in another, draining yourself all day.
>>
>>387440118
I don't see why it has to be an either-or
>>
>>387441768
I would add that it becomes very hard to have more than 1 serious hobby unless you are the kind of person who is in constant go-mode. I'm not, so I basically split between playing guitar and video games. I learned to play guitar at a young enough age that I have the muscle memory to not have to practice much, but I haven't really improved much in any technical capacity for years. If you are trying to learn something or seriously improve at something like an instrument, you pretty much have to dedicate all your time to it and can't play games at all.
>>
>>387442245
>or what other people do with their time.
That's absolutely relevant considering most "productive, well-rounded people" piss away large amounts of their time on things just as pointless as games.
Yes if your definition of "productive" is "every second of every day must be milked for maximum gain" then video games are a bad hobby for you, but you're also going to be a permanently miserable person because it's not possible to live like that.

The whole question is retarded, you don't take up a hobby to be "productive" in the first place. Hobbies are diversions you do in the times you don't need to work.
>>
>>387442097
You're the type of person I was looking for to answer this question. Tell me, do video games still manage to appeal to you at 33? I assume you grew up playing them. Also, since you're a family man, do you want your kid to grow up playing video games? You're well aware of the possible negative affects, and how hard it is to stop kids from doing what they like. Do you think video games are something you are willing to pass on to future generations?
>>
>>387441736

Are you me?
>>
>>387442137
If you don't care then why did you come to this thread? Why didn't you just ignore it and move on with your life?
>>
>>387442273
>playing games isn't inherently unhealthy
It kind of is though.
>>
>>387441764
the fact that you're here right now already rules you out of greatness
>>
>>387442273
Sitting in front of a screen all day is literally unhealthy. And yeah that means watching TV, browsing the internet, etc. are all unhealthy. Only if there's some kind of mental improvement that goes on to make up for the lack of physical improvement and with video games there usually isn't. Better hand eye coordination and what else? Go here, kill this thing, move on. They're all the same. Films have better stories (not blockbuster movies but real cinema). Books make you brighter. There literally is no point other than fun which again can be had by doing real activities such as: sports, hiking, swimming, etc.
>>
>>387440464
>But if video games are hurting more than they're helping,
No more than any other medium or any other activity that you indulge in excess. I know people who destroyed themselves by exercising in two years than people did by playing games 8 hours a day for a decade.

I've seen people being ruined by books, by movies and TV, by fashion fascination, even one by historical studies and research.

It's not the games that hurt, it's you who is hurting himself. The problem is in the use, in the lack of restraint usually associated by lack of ability to establish any meaningful goals of existence. If you lack those, anything you indulge doing can immediately become a weapon.

>>387440507
>A movie is a couple of hours.
A TV show up to hundreds. A neat thick little book collection... yeah, you get the point. People have been saying the exact same about TV before. And internet. And recorded music. And books. And alcohol.

>>387440787
>Feels good living in a 'commie' country, huh?
Except you are paying for the pensions of people who are old now. And you can only PRAY TO GODS your countries economy will not fuck up till the time you reach that pension yourself...

>>387442513
>I don't see why it has to be an either-or
Because when it comes to people who are losing control of their existence, the single, absolutely most important thing they have to do in order to begin improve their situation is to get rid of the delusion that they are a victim of someone, and something.

Because as long as you maintain the delusion, not even the best psychological and psychiatric care is going to ever help you.
That is a sad, ugly truth of human mental health.
>>
>>387442852
Living is inherently unhealthy.
>>
I wish I never found video games. They re wire your brain for easy gratification.
>>
>>387442564
But some hobbies have extra benefits that can help you in your life. For example, if you play a sport, your body gets healthier, your social skills improve because you're interacting a group of other people in a neutral environment, etc. What does a video game give you in return? A dopamine hit to your brain and nothing else
>>
>>387442987
Who are you to determine who can and can not be great? How about I never come on this site again as soon as this thread 404s and then go become great. Joke's on you pal.
>>
>>387442639
Yeah, I still love to game. I usually do it with RL buds and we'll BS and stay in touch that way inbetween actual real life social stuff. (Since we're old and everyone's fucking busy all the time) -- I DO want my kids to play video games, but be a bit more well rounded with things than I was. Video games are fun, and a good time, and a great way to relax or engage with people (bad gaming communities aside), but unless it's something you can make a living out of, it shouldn't be a priority. Even then, you should still focus on bettering your real life too. Games come and go, and the "esports" world is very ADD (from what I've seen), so I wouldn't want my kid ditching life to train to play dota.

It's hard to get kids to stop doing anything the like. Vidya's no different. Just gotta be firm, and provide other outlets too.
>>
>>387443334
Luckily you can have more than one. I enjoy games much more after a good workout.
>>
>>387443131
I actually find the opposite. They wire you to believe that the world is more stable and fair than it is. That if you take the time to improve and do everything right, you will get the outcome you want. Some aspects of life, especially romance and friendship, are unfortunately not like this at all.
>>
>>387443092
Alcohol I can understand. But let's get real here. Getting addicted to listening to music, come the fuck on man. You can literally listen to music while doing anything (working out, taking a walk, working, etc.). Video games are designed to suck up all of your free time. A single long game can last up to three hundred hours. It's a scourge on mankind.
>>
>>387442750
Not the point I was making

>>387442852
I can be obtuse and make pretty much anything seem inherently unhealthy

>>387443035
If you really want to boil all games down to that then feel free but realize that you aren't paying the same mind to movies and books when you say that because when you reference them you're clearly referring to the "greats" even though 95% eof people either don't know or don't care

If you truly are a person who only does healthy things that better you and keep away for anything that could possibly be negative then good for you because that's insanely impressive. I'd rather just live a healthy enough lifestyle and take care of myself while indulging in a slightly harmful hobby that I've had for 15 years

I guess with this I am conceding that games can be unhealthy but I feel that it is fine as long as it's not in excess or if it gets made up for elsewhere, like with most things in life

I don't mean to make an entire goddamn essay here but I've never been super athletic or super outdoorsy but I have always tried to eat healthy and stay in shape because I know I don't do enough in my spare time to make up for it and I know a lot of people my age feel similarly
>>
>>387443131
Porn does the same but is much worse, blowing your load too much at one time is awful for your health.
>>
>>387442482
I don't see the difference between those things. They're both just as real.
>>
>>387442482
what if i like sitting in the corner with the vr helmet on my head more?
>>
I'm 34 and video gaming is still doable but I can't game with my buddies online for hours a day like i used to. I've witnessed games ruin a lot of my online friends relationships and marriages. I'm not gonna say your wife is gonna go get bbc but neglecting her for hours a day while you play vidya is not healthy. I still know dudes in their late 30s that do it. Come home from work and power on the system til bedtime.
>>
>>387443865
>Getting addicted to listening to music, come the fuck on man.
Oh yeah, you would not believe. It is worth saying that it usually comes with adopting certain attitude or "lifestyle", it's not JUST the sheer act of listening, but it can screw up your life like hell. If you are using the medium as something to pre-occupy your mind in order to avoid facing some unpleasant aspect of the world, it can become an addition, obsession, and tool that can suck you all the way down to hell.
And it works for music, for anime, for books, for theatre... I've actually seen all of those cases.
>>
I smoke weed, drink beer, and play video games, and I still work 40 hours a week, and sustained a relationship with a live-in girlfriend for three years before we broke up.
>>
>>387443334
I think games can be very mentally engaging if you play the right games. If you are only playing mindless racing games or shooters, it doesn't offer much aside from potentially abstract things. I would say playing strategy games has actually done a lot to put my worldview in order and understand the dynamics of certain situations and playing Melee competitively for a few years back in the day taught me a lot about the importance of detail, efficiency, and what it takes to accomplish victory when there are other people in direct competition with you. It definitely gave me a perspective beyond what playing sports ever had.
>>
No. Side hobby, yes. Stuff like exercise, reading, or taking a little longer to cook better meals should take priority as well as seeing friends on the weekend or going places like museums. There's still time to get a bit of vidya in but I'm spending less and less time on single player action/rpg games, stuff with heavy time investment. Would rather play a few rounds of some multiplayer game with friends, or puzzle games which are fantastic for start/stop game sessions.
>>
>>387437083

Yes.

But it is a hard balancing act. Then again, if you have control over most of things in your life, or things that are important to you, balancing is way more easy.
However, if you have things that are out of your control exerting a lot of pressure, it gets bloody difficult.

And then there are people. People will be the greatest obstacle.
>>
>>387444310

>before we broke up

Women want a man.
>>
>>387444421
Also I'll note that I started getting a lot more things done when I made the switch to not play video games as much. It's a huge chunk of time you get back.
>>
>>387444037
Then you're an idiot.

>>387444109
Then you have learned to actually enjoy having no life, the collapse of society is upon us.
>>
>>387443865
>Video games are designed to suck up all of your free time.
Not all of them you goober, and even assuming they all are, so what? As long as you dont actually let them then whats the fucking harm?
>>
>>387444487
I broke up with her.
>>
>>387444530
>the collapse of society is upon us.
Give me a break already, society is changing like it has always been during times of cultural change, be glad you're actually living in such interesting times.
>>
>>387443334
>But some hobbies have extra benefits that can help you in your life.
This cancerous mentality is what I'm trying to tell you is the problem. You feel guilty for some reason when you're not "benefiting" from every action you do 24/7.
Human beings don't work like this. You are going to have some form of downtime where you aren't "profiting" whether you're in 2017 AD playing video games or in 2017 BC singing songs around a fire at the end of the day.
>>
>>387437083
Vidya was never a hobby for me. I play(ed) lots of games for many hours, but in return I don't watch TV. When I moved out I didn't even buy a cable package and still haven't. I just play vidya when other people would watch tv for hours.

I hit the gym 4 times a week and it's the perfect work,play,activity balance.
>>
>>387444530
>Then you have learned to actually enjoy having no life
I dont see the problem here
>>
>>387444836
That's not what she told me last night.
>>
>>387445187
She still talks about me after over a year? Jeez, I just mention her 'cause a three year relationship is more than most these NEET's will get in life.

Like a Feat of Strength.
>>
>>387444676
Why even take that chance? Just for a bit of fun?
>>
>>387444874
My man when you get older you realize how little you can do in your lifetime, can you blame people for trying to scrounge up as much time as they can? Nobody's cutting off the vidya completely, they're a good way to unwind, but it keeps you occupied in the same manner that junk food offers nutrition. Of course people aren't going to want it to take over their life and instead have some other stuff going on alongside it.
>>
So... I guess here is a story for you. Since OP asked it:

28 years old here.
Have been playing games since 6, playing them a lot since 11.
While I did read, study and pick up occasional interest in some culture, historical period or something like that, I sure as hell spend time on games than any other interest (with the exception of two dark years of going completely weeboo).
Have it as my go-to past time.

By the time I moved out to college, I found myself to be sociable, surrounded by good friends, gain respect of friendship of my teachers, academic opportunities, a kind girl. People around me told me I'm a very cultivated and fun person and that I have very unusually broad horizons.
Hell, I even gained benefit from the interest in games, as I discovered how to talk about them in a way that is interesting even to people who never were interested in them, even got some professors to actually start looking at games with actual interest and curiosity.

With all that, unsuprisingly, I did not find much more time for playing games anymore - using what free time I had to study things related to my research, maintain social life.

And that was the time when things started falling apart. Eventually I started avoiding people, failing to uphold my responsibilities, drinking heavily - lost most of my friends, lost the girl I seriously thought I might marry, dropped out of school, ended up a washed up, bitter asshole living off my family's kindness, unable to deal with most basic problems of life.

Never found the stregth to play more again since then, either, except for some really mindless time-sinks to take my mind of what a failure I am.

So yeah: I am a living proof: you end up a living failure if you STOP playing videogames.

I'm obviously joking, but the point is that yeah: you can end up as a well rounded person even if you play quite a lot, and you can end up a failure even if you do all responsible and mature and productive stuff.
>>
>>387444937
I also need to mention that my standards got higher. At age 15 I basically lived from one game to the other. I always needed the next thrill. Now at age 30 I check which games are supposed to come out during the year and find maybe 3 which I NEED to play. I always keep a multiplayer game in the back of my mind during long stretches of nogaems.
>>
>>387444874
I get your point and agree with it, but my original question was, is video games a worthwhile way to spend your downtime in the long run?
>>
File: 122.jpg (64KB, 592x400px) Image search: [Google]
122.jpg
64KB, 592x400px
>>387437619
>/v/, on the other hand, does. A lot.
Hard truths
>>
>>387437083
>Is it possible to be a productive and well-rounded person while also having your main hobby be video games?
No
>>
>>387444676
As long as you don't actually complete the game then what's the harm? is what you're saying. Then there's no point in even playing in the first place.
>>
>>387445352
Now you're just showing off.
>>
>>387437083
Poor time management and lifestyle are bigger impediments than video games.
>>
>>387437083

41 here.

Not too much, but I had other interests. I still play from time to time, but I lose interest quickly. Plus, I have other hobbies that are more satisfying.

I keep trying to tell my 14yo son that there is more to life than vidya, and that one day he will look up from his vidya stupor, and realize that he has not done anything at all. Nothing.

I wish he had some other interests, but who can blame him? Vidya is like crack, I get it. Hell, I remember ditching work for some major releases, and putting everything else going on in my life on hold.

the funny thing is how disconnected some of these kids are from reality. It's like they tell me they want to make vidya, but then have no interest in learning even rudimentary programming or checking out an engine. Do they think that the games are going to make themselves?

Vidya has not impacted me negatively, because I always had something else going on that was just as interesting.

You will naturally get bored of vidya as you get older and your interests and priorities change.
>>
>>387444849
Changing for the worse, we're being consumed with technology. Interesting? yeah but is it good? no.
>>
>>387445015
Of course you wouldn't.
>>
>>387445448
>can you blame people for trying to scrounge up as much time as they can?
Absolutely, because this kind of constant scrounging doesn't get you any worthwhile time, it just gets you constant guilt and insecurity because nobody is capable of never using any time non-optimally.
If you actually think you can cut out video games and just do "productive" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) stuff 24/7 it's a dead ringer that you've never actually tried to do that.
>>
I'm not 30 yet, but I'm past 25. Games didn't help me much as a teen, I got bullied and retreated more into them. Meant that I'm not as successful or in a decent job yet compared to many of my peers and friends, and am one of the only people in my group of friends to still live at home. I think being a teenager and spending all my time online stunted my social skills, especially for things where you really need them like dating or job interviews, which lead to less success in life overall. Sure, I had online friends and games indirectly helped me get laid, but if I'd had more friends before I was 18-19 I would have gone out more and not have been so behind socially rather than spending my early 20s trying to catch up. Working in a shitty job with lots of customers and lots of colleagues honestly did more for my social skills. The real issue is that my social skills are now better than I think they are, but I still see myself as the guy who got bullied.

I'm finally making changes in order to make my career prospects less shit. Gaming hasn't really negatively affected that as I set aside blocks of time for study and that kind of thing. I also do a lot of running, and getting that in is more important. And on the rare occasions I get the chance to see my friends (because we barely go out these days due to life), I'm immediately there.

Games did hinder my life, but also helped in small ways. Mostly, they don't have much of an impact now, they're just things I love to do when I have free time.
>>
>>387437083
My girlfriend's father, well in his 50s, plays vidya as his main hobby. Not just old games either, you're just as likely to find him playing some original XCOM or Age of Empires as doing a 100% run of The Witcher 3 in his fucking monster rig.
>>
Yes it is i can get 3 hours per day of vidya and friday night muthafucka (even after a night of drinking) until i pass out.
Videogames are probably the thing that keeps my sanity in check after 8 hours of work.
>>
>>387445810
>Changing for the worse, we're being consumed with technology. Interesting? yeah but is it good? no.
Yeah, because that has never happened in past.
Technology has fuck all to do with anything. We might be doing some REALLY major, stupid ideological steps around here in the West, which might result in shifts of balance and power on global scales, but again it's not like we haven't seen that a dozen times before.
>>
>>387443391
you're a joke
>>
>>387443391
We're still trying to repair the damage from youtube celebs.
>>
>>387446120
My best friend's father in law finishes up a tough day on the farm then comes back and plays vidya with his sons. It's a great way to keep in touch with people.
>>
>>387445720
Because its fun if I beat it or not? I don't see how you didn't manage to answer that on your own.
>>387445392
There's the possibility to get addicted to almost anything, but as long as you dont let yourself fall into the trap, then why not?
>>
>>387442120
Redpill
>>
>>387446341
cool comeback
>>
>>387445896
Explain to me then, whats the problem?
>>
File: 1502810593127.jpg (18KB, 259x207px) Image search: [Google]
1502810593127.jpg
18KB, 259x207px
>>387437083
>If you could, would you go back and take up something else as your main hobby and maybe only play video games casually?
anyone who says they would is a complete faggot
>buuhuu waaah I'm a 30 year old loser if only I didn't play videogames why didn't I golf or go play football with friends
you played and continue to play because that's what you wanted to fucking do. It's easy to look back on the past and think "god damn if only I spent 100% of my free time doing something completely different my life would've been different" no shit, retard. You wouldn't do that then and you wouldn't do that now, I know because you didn't.
>>
>>387446489
>Because its fun if I beat it or not? I don't see how you didn't manage to answer that on your own.
About as fun as watching 15 minutes of a movie or reading three pages of a book.
>>
>>387446489
t. smokes four packs a day
>>
>>387437083
only 23 here, been working full time for 2 years now, but here's how it looks like here:
>work 9 hours a day
>after work spend some time with gf (1-2 hours depending on what she wants to do)
> 3 times a week hit the gym (usually overlaps with gf time, we live together)
>after dinner i play until i go to bed, usually after midnight

I never regretted having it as my main hobby, never really had any other unless reading is a hobby. But i've always worked out and played soccer with the mates so my health isn't really affected by it.
If I didn't have the gf I'd probably play less and socialise more to get one, but still we go out once or twice a week with friends

I don't imagine this will change until and in my 30's, pretty comfy this way as long as there's a balance.
Every now and then I either do home office or take a day off to spend the entire day playing - last time was when TW Warhammer came out.

Have to admit though I don't enjoy it as much as I used to as a kid, but I don't think it's because of how shitty the industry has gotten, it's more that I've got plenty of shit on my mind now that i'm an adult which makes it harder to relax and enjoy the games like I used to when i was a careless bitch ass kid.
>>
>>387446298
Not at this level. So far it's just made our lives easier. We're reaching the next level here. It is literally removing us from reality. The Matrix future incoming.
>>
>>387437083
Yes it is possible. My older brother is a cop and has a wife and he plays video games all the time. Me though, I'm your typical video game loser who stays at home.
>>
>>387446574
Nothing pal, continue allowing your body to deteriorate while you ignore social relationships in favor of the helmet and the fleshlight. You are a biological dead end, that's all.
>>
>>387437083
you're asking the wrong people
>>
>>387441693
>Leaving 4chan is the final red pill
>>
My rich as fuck Uncle getting me into day trading and working for him gives me plenty of free time for a bunch of hobbies.
Then again 80% of my social life is local magic the gathering so im probably fucked on a long run.
>>
>>387437619
I'm 32 banged a chick in my office at work yesterday then came home to play a few rounds of titanfall before falling asleep to its Always Sunny.
>>
We're all going to be dead soon, spending that time playing games is just as meaningless as any other pursuit.
>>
>>387447357

>titanfall
>asip

fucking a you have some bad taste kid
>>
>>387446894
>You are a biological dead end, that's all.
Aren't we all?
Him, you and I are gonna die like everybody else.
>>
>>387446776
sure m8 whatever you say.
>>
>>387446565
>still lurking
I'm sure in five more minutes you're off to be great, right?
>>
>>387447231
I'm pretty jealous of the finance shit. No one really helped me financially. Work on your social skills and you're set.
>>
>>387446776
>Not at this level. So far it's just made our lives easier.
Dude, do you have ANY idea what the industrial revolution was? How absolute transformation of every day life that was?

Seriously, you just have NO fucking historical perspective here.
>>
>Surely video games are the reason why I'm a colossal failure and my parents hate me!
>If I didn't play video games and instead spent a ton of time doing "productive" things which I actually despise I'd be a better person!

If thoughts such as these ever crossed your mind, you should consider suicide. Video games aren't the reason you're a failure, video games are what you retreated into BECAUSE you're a failure, as they are very receptive of failures.
>>
>>387447675
Not him, but things will probably get drastically worse then better after a while. Once robots start putting people out of jobs we'll need some kind of basic income or something. People aren't just going to willingly starve to death because a robot took their job.
>>
>>387447963
>Once robots start putting people out of jobs
Do they actually not teach industrial revolution in schools at all anymore?
>>
>>387448101
I'm talking about the future not the industrial revolution. Self driving cars alone will put a fuckton of people out of work.
>>
>>387447963
>Once robots start putting people out of jobs we'll need some kind of basic income or something.
Yeah, sure. They said the same things about cars a century ago.
Why not actually look at the real problems instead? Like the incredible difference in basic incomes where a CEO gets a month's pay that is higher than the total monthly income of the inhabitants of an entire street?
>>
>>387446757
I have never touched drugs or alcohol in my life aside from tasting a few beers or wines, and I never intend to regularly use them
>>387446667
Going back to what I assume is your original post I'm realizing you didn't even really make much sense, where did I imply you cant beat a game in that sentence? There are plenty of games you can beat in a reasonable amount of time, not every video game is a 300 hour time sink. And even if you only chipped away at 30 minutes of that 300 hour game, and you have fun doing it, then you still had fun. Shit, there's a lot of games that you can technically beat in 30 minutes like a MOBA, and people have fun with that. I just don't get what you're going for.
>>
>>387448246
I ask again:
Did they not actually educate you on the events and social transformations that happened during the industrial revolution?
Because that seems like a PRETTY BIG OVERSIGHT for a modern education model.

Fun fact: no, that is not how economy works. At all. We actually learned this. During the industrial evolution. Which was FAR more drastic intrusion into job distribution than anything we are up to in the next fifty years, I can tell you that for sure.
>>
>>387446894
Im having a gay old time with the helmet and the fleshlight over here, im not seeing any issues
>>
>>387448351
Fun fact: dissolution of traditional family seems to be the biggest factor in increasing in disparity of of incomes and population distribution between social classes...
>>
>>387448432
I think a lot of annalists will disagree with you on that. I learned about the industrial revolution in highschool and it was briefly covered in an elective I took in university. I just don't think that it's analogous to what we have coming.

>>387448552
I would love to see your data on this. Because I'm pretty sure it's just stagnated wage.
>>
>>387437083
you can but you'll never have the time to be as good as some skinny little nerd that wastes his entire day on his ass.
>>
>>387448552
>Fun fact: dissolution of traditional family
Fuck off christfag, keep on sucking that corporate cock and blame the people's problem on what your overlords' "data" tells you.
>>
I feel like there really isn't a problem with video games, just a problem with me.
I have plenty of friends who can play for a few hours and put it down, not having the craving to turn the game back on just to keep the mind occupied.
I really don't see anything inherently wrong with playing video games, it's about your own personality and how it interacts with things that can be addictive (not inherently addictive)
>>
>>387437740
Just play games you could beat in an afternoon (Mania, Crash)
>>
>>387437083
My current girlfriend knows I play a lot of vidya, so I don't have to pretend I don't or excuse my hobby to her, she sometimes joins if it's a fighting game, because for some reason she's decent at it, even though she has no reflex at all, and she also got hooked by some of Telltale games, which don't require much input from her, so I'd say I got things properly balanced.
As long as I have a job and can provide, she won't bother me with what I do.

She sometimes complains she's bored when I play games that don't have much story or cinematics in between, like MMOs or Online shooters, but she doesn't nag me with it unless I've been at it all day long.
>>
File: 1485402361784.png (174KB, 373x373px) Image search: [Google]
1485402361784.png
174KB, 373x373px
Playing video games is a lot more productive and mentally stimulating than mindlessly browsing sites like this and constantly forgetting almost everything you read for hours on end.
>>
>>387437083
>I want oldfags to answer more. How did playing video games your whole life into your 30s affect your life overall?
I'm 29, married with a kid on the way, and have a career I love. Video games have always been my primary hobby, but I've always been able to keep them and other aspects of my life in control. I enjoy gaming much more when it's in addition to other things in life. When I have an off day where I'm not working, hanging out with the wife, working out, doing house projects, or seeing friends, I tend to get bored if I spend 100% of it just sitting around. There's a bigger picture in life than just playing video games and by the time I'm old as balls I want to be able to look back and be happy with the choices I made outside of my BIG BING WAHOO *1UP* shit.
>>
>>387437083
28 here, not really an oldfag but i manage to get enough time in to make me happy. You just need to keep a good ratio of everything. I work 6 days a week, go to the gym 3-4 times a week, spend a handful of evenings with my gf and spend the others playing vidya. One or 2 nights a month try n have a night out to keep yourself sane.
It's mainly just shit when you love a game and you want to be on it 24/7 but you can't

>inb4 children
I have no idea how anymore manages after having kids
>>
>>387449353
I hated when I worked 6 days a week. Is that a short term or long term thing for you? I'd rather do 5 10s than 6 8s (but honestly I'm a 40 a week kind of guy).
>>
>>387448732
>Fuck off christfag,
Not even remotely close that.
It's just sad, simple statistics. Incomplete family is currently the biggest predictor of income category stagnation or deterioration. The evidence is getting so overwhelming that even american liberals are forced to admit it.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/to-reduce-poverty-a-plan-experts-across-the-political-spectrum-can-agree-upon/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXqAaLvw_cY
>>
>>387449572
It has nothing to do with wages that have barely moved in 40 years huh?
>>
>>387448421
So you have not actually been educated on this at all.
That is such MASSIVE fuck-up of your educational system it's beyond belief.

As for sources and data, this is a good place to start, but really... the very fact that this needs to be spoonfed to you is disturbing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_unemployment
>>
>>387449701
>It has nothing to do with wages that have barely moved in 40 years huh?
That is painfully untrue. But I suppose from the speed of your reply that you did not even bother to open it. Clearly indicating that you are not interested in understanding the problem. Just throwing blame. Those corporate evil guys, just plotting against you! Bet they are jews, too!
>>
>>387449758
I'm sorry please don't yell at me
>>
>>387449848
https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/04/economist-explains-12

Inflation has massively outpaced wage growth. Your video was aimed specifically at those in poverty and doesn't at all point to the fact that the middle class has less buying power than they have had in the past. A single income was plenty to support a family in the past.

>>387449758
In the second decade of the 21st century, a number of studies have been released suggesting that technological unemployment may be increasing worldwide. Further increases are forecast for the years to come. While many economists and commentators still argue such fears are unfounded, as was widely accepted for most of the previous two centuries, concern over technological unemployment is growing once again.[1][2][3] A report in Wired in 2017 quotes knowledgeable people such as economist Gene Sperling and management professor Andrew McAfee on the idea that handling existing and impending job loss to automation is a "significant issue".[4] Regarding a recent claim by Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin that automation is not "going to have any kind of big effect on the economy for the next 50 or 100 years", says McAfee, "I don't talk to anyone in the field who believes that."[4] Recent technological innovations have the potential to render humans obsolete with the professional, white-collar, low-skilled, creative fields, and other "mental jobs".[5][6]

This is in the fucking page you linked yourself dude.
>>
>>387437618
unfortunately fpbp ;_;
>>
I wish I was dead
>>
>>387437083
Yes, but don't expect to have as much time to dedicate to vidya as your peers. Playing vidya for about 30 years has only effected my personal life in the sense that you have to realize your gaming friends aren't the same as normal people in public, and you need to filter yourself.

It's still a worthwhile hobby to pursue, I mean look at other "functional" adults who just sit around watching the new flavor of the month show, its the same thing but you are having an interactive experience. Times have changed and modern adults in general aren't as mature as our parent's generation because we all have everything so easily. No matter what the timesink you choose it's really all the same at this point, we are kids wearing ties and paying taxes.
>>
>>387450631
This doesn't just apply to games to be honest. The kind of trash talk you have at poker night or sports or whatever isn't acceptable other places. You have to code switch, that's just a fact of life.
>>
>>387450315
Me too.
>>
>>387450219
>Your video was aimed specifically at those in poverty and doesn't at all point to the fact that the middle class has less buying power than they have had in the past.
Buyer power means fuck all. Relative social distribution matters. Sociopathological and psychopathological phenomena, including increased reports of unhappiness and crime rate are in no way related to absolute buying power.
They are related to relative poverty indicators. Fun fact: I live in a country with half the buying power you people have on average.
We are less of a shithole than you are.

>>387450219
Wait, you are the SAME RETARD?!
Well, I guess I should not be surprised. You see: this might shock you, but this is a small part of the article presenting opinions of two very extreme, and COMPLETELY MINORITY opinions, while absolute majority of the article actually expresses opinions of much larger majority of the experts, as well the reflection of the history of this mass hysteria, and actually provides opposite opinion. The fact that McAfee isn't really engaged by most economists does not actually make his minority claim most reliable.

But I love how in a very long article presenting huge amount of data, you darted over everything that does not support your belief and just only noted the singular paragraph and went on proudly presenting it to me.
Who fucking posted that article. Which means I've read it. Even that paragraph, which still explicitly states how absolute majority of experts still believe these fears are unfounded.
>>
>>387437740
>If you ask me vidya is the biggest waste of time ever created.

It is only a waste of time if you are a normalfag such as yourself. For many of us it is often the only gratification we get in life. I always felt video games was sort of a neutral hobby for the most part. As in it isn't negative or positive to like it. It more depends on the person playing it. They also could be enjoyed without having to worry about having political messages shoved down your throat. This has changed in the last half decade or so with developers and their shit tier pandering to normalfags. Not too surprisingly this is also why gaming has become far bigger than it ever was with these same normalfags.

- If you want a life where you mainly just enjoy living by yourself than gaming might very well be the perfect hobby for such a person.
-If you want a healthy social life, friends, gf's, a family, etc, it is more than likely you will not want to game too much since it is the most time consuming hobby there is out there.

All of my friends who loved gaming and who I played long sessions (as in up to 8 or more hour mp sessions) have became normalfags and play way less games. Some don't even game anymore because job, gf and other hobbies take away all that game time.
>>
>>387451007
Crimes rates are down. Buying power matters. Wages have stagnated. Your video was crap. Your country is a shithole. The final paragraph was the most relevant because it was related to the present, the present matters the past does not. In English we don't capitalize words for emphasis, it's seen as stupid. Just a friendly word of advice from a native speaker.
>>
File: 1484426814109.jpg (59KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484426814109.jpg
59KB, 919x720px
The internet is what fucked up my life. Not video games.
>>
File: 1476483282091.jpg (48KB, 599x602px) Image search: [Google]
1476483282091.jpg
48KB, 599x602px
the adage "everything in moderation" is probably the closest thing we have to a universal truth. There's nothing wrong with playing some video games, but if it's all you do then you're going to be sitting at home alone doing nothing productive.

If I could afford to own property I would probably be working on it and working on a personal workshop. I would like to get into woodworking.
>>
>>387451481
>Crimes rates are down. Buying power matters. Wages have stagnated.
Interesting.
Crime rates are dropped.
Wage have stagnated.
Somehow, this translates to "buying power matters" to you. So lack of even correlation proves deep connection apparently.

>Your country is a shithole
You don't even know what country it is. Which I think really illustrates how much you actually ground your claims in any possible rationality.
You are a child. And a dangerous one.

>Your video was crap.
Powerful argumentation. I'm sure you have much bigger authority than the professional economists, sociologists and psychologists from all sides of the political spectrum the video presents. No doubt you can replace entire American economic and social academy single-handedly.

>The final paragraph was the most relevant because it was related to the present
Yes. The fact that it still states that MAJORITY of experts say that the fears about the future aren't all that important.

Also: evidence collected from the past is irrelevant: our ungrounded speculations about the future from a minority of experts is far more reliable than consensus of majority and historical evidence.
History, after all, isn't interesting. You can't ride hysteria and make yourself feel superior for your ungrounded, poorly educated, entirely emotional claims about past as much as you can about future. Since past already proved you wrong, future is the only thing relevant.

>In English we don't capitalize words for emphasis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/8672/what-do-all-capital-letters-typically-refer-to-in-writing
You had actually been doing that since the mass spread of print newspapers. But thank you for proving - once again, how clueless you are. You have an actual knack for humiliating yourself in public.

Have fun living a life of being a clueless, jaded asshole.
Thread posts: 199
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.