[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Combine two different genres into one game >The result

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: 2363111-snes_actraiser.jpg (3MB, 2100x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2363111-snes_actraiser.jpg
3MB, 2100x1536px
>Combine two different genres into one game
>The result isn't steaming hot garbage

How come a game from 1990 can do it while most modern games can't?
>>
>>387435917
Because back then, they had limits to filesize and graphics/sound and had to actually think and be creative and put effort in, not just slap some cutscene shit together and tout the graphics as the most important thing then sell it on Steam with a 50gb download but only 20hrs tops of actual gameplay.
>>
>>387435917
Both parts of Act Raiser are basically good. The city builder is fun, the action game is fun. I don't remember how much the two actually feed into each other, though. I think you can get spells and other items in the city builder to make your life easier in the action segments, and the action segments in turn unlock more city building or affect it somehow.

Another element that works in their favor is discretion. Maybe it was an accident of hardware and engineering limitations but you couldn't really stop the action game cold and force the player out to manage a complaint from the peasants in one of the towns. So it never nags the player like later games attempts at doing multiple genres tend to.
>>
>>387435917

I want a 3D reboot or sequel.

>platinum games + Quintet
>Looks and plays a bit like Nier Automata
>Stage 1: 3D action stage, go through stage, defeat boss.
>Boss' layer becomes new town center.
>Avatar becomes statue at the center of town.
>Build down mode. Build defenses against raiding monsters. Train/equip human soldiers.
>build society,
>rule as a tyrant, despot, or a mix of both
>generally same design as original but in 3D and more depth
>>
File: SNES--ActRaiser_Feb26 15_41_56.png (20KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
SNES--ActRaiser_Feb26 15_41_56.png
20KB, 256x224px
What other games let me turn my religious followers into atheists?
>>
>>387436074
this. limitations bring out the best in people.
>>
File: stop the game to inflict damage.jpg (51KB, 250x421px) Image search: [Google]
stop the game to inflict damage.jpg
51KB, 250x421px
>Combine two different genres into one game
>one part falls so hard on its face it might as well not be a part of the genre
>>
>>387436389
>I don't remember how much the two actually feed into each other, though.

The more points you score in the action mode, the more max people your town can get. The more populous your town is, the more health and level you are.

Story wise, you are God in the sky, who sends down an avatar, by making a statue come alive, you kill demons, who then reincarnate as humans. You build up human civilization as you go and the humans take care of small nests, while you tackle the big ones.
>>
>>387435917
>Removed the world creation part in the sequel

Fuck Enix
>>
>>387436783
They actually didn't want to, but some idiot publisher said that the genre shift confused and enraged western players.
>>
Reminder that Magical Light is a horrible spell and Magical Aura is the patrician's choice
>>
File: gel.jpg (34KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
gel.jpg
34KB, 300x389px
>>387436893
>Using anything but Stardust after Bloodpool
>>
You faggots better be playing the tranlasted japanese ROM, presenting the game in its original difficulty and it doesn't shy away from the fact the player character was god himself.
>>
File: ActRaiser (E) [!]_00000.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
ActRaiser (E) [!]_00000.png
4KB, 256x224px
>>387437013
It's a good translation. The ending always makes me cry bitch tears, just like their other game Terranigma.
>>
>>387437013

The simulation game time was sped up significantly, which is a good improvement. Sim Mode is a nice feature, but it's pretty much just a linear mode and all the towns look the same by the end. It's at best just a series of little puzzles.
>>
>>387436878
>focus group wanted
>lowest common denominators ONLY
>>
File: 1483204567627.jpg (14KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483204567627.jpg
14KB, 450x300px
>>387436878
>Idiot publisher's idiot kids couldn't figure out a game
>Oh well I guess people don't like this genre
>>
I prefer ActRaiser 2, despite the shittier framerate. One of the best looking and sounding games on the SNES.
>>
>>387436474
then you wake up
>>
>>387437328
To be fair, originality wasn't valued that highly back then. As long as a game played good it got high marks.
>>
>>387437007
Stardust is too iffy, Aura lets you quick kill Marahna Act 2 in no time at all
>>
>>387437150
>Terranigma
How a game that good went so unnoticed, that was amazing at the time. In fact all this loose series: Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, ActRaiser were something out of the norm. It's a sin Enix never made a compilation release of them all.
>>
>>387437957
Terranigma was sort of big in Europe, which didn't get final fantasy or chrono trigger. Though any serious RPG fan had one of those converters you stuck to the bottom of the game cart.
>>
>>387437957
God, Illusion of Gaia was so good. Weird, but good. Soul Blazer too, something spoke to me about having to unlock and "respawn" the town piece by piece. Alot of silly religion shit mixed in though.

Just hearing "Illusion of Gaia" makes the Dungeon theme play in my head immediately. Memorable shit back then.
>>
>>387438051
This. PAL regions got shafted out of most JRPGs. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Lufia, Super Mario RPG, EarthBound etc. Hell, even the Ultima ports didn't make it to Europe. You'd think fucking Ultima would be a good idea to release here, but no.
>>
>>387438051
Our local Gemstone Video rental place had one of those converters and carried Japanese cartridges. I had played FF2 and FF3 (US) already, and I went in one day to see what they had, and saw "FF6" and was like, "holy shit, what? Where'd FF4 and 5 go?!"

Asked the clerk if I could try it out since they had 1 of every system hooked up in-store to try games out before renting them. Was confused as fuck when FF3's intro started playing in Japanese. This was like the mid-90s and I was still young, so no internet, the only time I ever got to peek online was a few years later at my Aunt's house cuz she had AOL, and then most of that time was spent being trolled on AOL's "message boards" about catching Mew and Pikablu at the Truck by the SS Anne or the hidden 23rd Cheatcode in Diddy Kong Racing. Didn't even occur to me to look up why FF6 was FF3 at the time but I think I found out sometime after and learned about how Translation/Importing worked back then and was rarer/cheaply done.
>>
File: avgn_skeptic.jpg (50KB, 425x319px) Image search: [Google]
avgn_skeptic.jpg
50KB, 425x319px
>>387435917
Good game design basically.
There are no more good game designers, they became movie directors.
>>
File: file.jpg (256KB, 480x353px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
256KB, 480x353px
>>387435917
step aside, the real king on genre mashups coming through
>>
Always wondered how the angel got past Nintendo's censorship. That's a bare ass.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.