[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/ I need your help. Let's just say I'm retarded.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 20170816_220942.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170816_220942.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
/v/ I need your help.

Let's just say I'm retarded. How do I know if a game had a good story or is thematically consistent? I can tell good gameplay because it feels good.
>>
Does a game address the human condition? Does it strive to illuminate truths? If so, does it do so effectively, or during the experience are you routinely reminded that you are being told these things?
>>
Story in games is almost always bad. Read some books if you want to understand see examples of good storytelling.
>>
>>387435335
What is the human condition?

>>387435418
What are good story telling books? I struggle to read anything that isn't non-fiction.
>>
>>387435073
>I can tell good gameplay because it feels good.

You sound like a shitter that would defend Pubg by saying it's fun
>>
>>387435724
I actually can't stand PUBG. I just always feel out of place when people talk about good story in games and I don't know what's going on. Like I was in a Witcher 3 thread earlier. People were raving about every aspect of it especially in the story. I played through it in its entirety and could not understand what people thought of it.
>>
>>387435073
Try to look for ideas, themes or concepts that are shared between the events that happen in the game. Found one? Good. Does it tell you anything interesting regarding this idea, theme or concept? How well does it explore it? Does it offer examples that really bring out the point the story is trying to tell?

The worst offender for a story is that there is no point. There is no over arcing theme or point to all the events. Events just happens for the sake of something happening. This can be okay on its own but it leaves you with nothing in the end. There is really nothing to digest. It's just bunch of events.

Next big offender for story is that it has ideas but never commits to them. They are scattered and inconsistent so you never quite grasp what the fuck was even the point.

These are some things that come to my mind.
>>
>>387436190
So I'm playing through Owlboy right now and to me the theme is really strong. Maybe not the story, but thematically it is strong in my eyes.

The idea of a band of outcasts doing things that everyone tells them they can't. It's simple but strong. It makes you love the characters for even getting out of bed when they could just tell everyone to deal with their own shit if they want to act that way. Plus the writing of the character interaction is funny while consistent with the overall theme
>>
>>387436490
Would that be a correct analysis of a good theme in a game?
>>387436190
>>
Another game I really like the story for is Wonderful 101. It's really simple but it's one of my favorite.
>>
Help
>>
a good story caters towards current politics, as in supportive LGBTQ+ characters and main dark-skinned protagonist.

I know you guys will call me a troll, but this is my genuine believe
>>
>>387439549
I can understand that honestly. The people that call video games art also have to be open to current politics and so on being part of the genre. Art in and of itself is a form every type of expression. So there can't be any limiters to what can be expressed if video games are to be considered art.
>>
>>387435073
Does the story entertain you? If yes then it's good, if not it's shit. A story doesn't need to ask deep or compelling questions, though if it does then that's a plus.
>>
>>387440225
I feel dumb when I can't say a story that is deep and compelling though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.