[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your personal holy trinity of vidya franchises /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: 1502991876764.png (197KB, 1028x448px) Image search: [Google]
1502991876764.png
197KB, 1028x448px
What is your personal holy trinity of vidya franchises /v/?

>MGS1 blew my mind back in '99. I'm a big Metal Gear fan since then, played all of them multiple times except PO which i'm currently on.
>Monster Hunter: played the first one on PS2 around '05 and I just loved the prepare/hunt/craft cycle and oh boi dem monsters. Played every game by now except Tri on Wii. I might have thousands of hours put in these babies desu.
>SMT: Persona 3 vanilla was my entry-point into the saga when I played the shit out of it back in '08, 'been playing the mainline and spinoff since then.
>>
File: Muh Game Collection 3x3 sets.jpg (281KB, 908x908px) Image search: [Google]
Muh Game Collection 3x3 sets.jpg
281KB, 908x908px
>>387429880
>MGS
>Silent Hill
>Zelda

started all of them with their very first titles ages ago, went through most of them in release order as they came out. Each one of them have molded my life one way or another, and offered memorable experiences.

Had to do some tough decisions with some of these IPs though. Like whether or not to include STALKER trilogy, or have Resident Evil there just because it helped me discover joys of horror vidya and thus Silent Hill.
>>
Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey.

Would be Mega Man instead of EO if Capcom didn't kill him and Kirby is pretty close up there.
>>
>>387430683

Your first statement hit right at home but with my games instead.

I tried SH on ps1 back in the day but it didn't do it for me. I enjoyed RE3 on the other hand.

Zelda...I've never understood the appeal. Maybe if I'd had a NES instead of my Genesis growing up but I don't know.

Can you describe me the main appeal of those 2? I may want to get into SH.
>>
>>387430865
Haven't touched EO beyond Persona Q so...
Dragon Quest loved the VIII on ps2 and now 3ds, and IX on DS.
I'm waiting for the DQXI release date in the west.
>>
>MGS
>Kingdom Hearts
>Ace Attorney
>>
Half Life
Hitman
Mario
>>
>>387431212
If you enjoyed the gameplay of PQ, I highly suggest giving the series a try. IV and both Untolds on 3DS have demos.

I'll be pre-ordering whatever LE and versions of DQXI we get, that means I'll double dip for PS4 and 3DS and even triple if there's a Switch port.
>>
>>387431041
>I tried SH on ps1 back in the day but it didn't do it for me. I enjoyed RE3 on the other hand.
I was already a HUGE RE-fan since the original, and had played the then-existing trilogy by the time SH arrived. Initially I didn't care of it at all, as it seemed like "yet another RE clone" there'd been plenty of at the time.
However, thanks to my friend acquiring a copy and spending some nights watching him play it (at the age of around 11-12 I think), not only were we spooked shitless, but I was also quickly addicted. You could say I jumped the teams at that point, though I still enjoyed later RE games too. SH1 is just one helluva trippy nightmare fuel ride, and SH2 is that gigantic cult-hit that deserves to be called "art".

Silent Hill's appeal?
They're spooky as fuck at best. Gorgeous as hell. Soundtracks and sound-world is simply amazing, with the series' composer, Akira Yamaoka, being an industry legend at this point. The stories are well written and thought out, and not always spelled out loud to the player; instead, there's lots of symbolism and many hidden layers you can slowly unravel, or even need to assemble together from numerous small hints. On top of that, they got tons of replay value.

>Zelda...I've never understood the appeal.
Design-wise, they're very simple fantasy action-adventure games. However, production-value and atmosphere-wise, they're just extremely captivating games. Like any long running series, it has its ups and downs, with different games appealing to different people.
I wasn't really that big of a "Zelda fan" during the 8-bit times, but Ocarina Of Time, a game I chose as a Christmas present on a whim back in 98, was just magnificent experience. Totally worth all its praise, and I still go back to replay it from time to time.

The later games were hit or miss for me, but the latest entry, BotW, really did knock my socks off. Once again it overhauls the entire formula, resulting THE most open game there's ever been.
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>387431949
>>387431041
>I may want to get into SH.
Great
Here's the often re-posted SH PC Guide and the DL links to the PC ports:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW widescreen fixes mentioned in guide, the sh2proxy's EXE works as no-cd crack too.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
If SH3 runs like shit even on a strong PC, check and lower the Rendering Resolution setting.
You can now see fine emulator settings for SH1 in the guide. You may also try the newer PGXP emulator for wobble-free PS1 graphics.

>Protips
-Play in release order.
-Never play below Normal mode.
-Replaying = very recommended.
-turn down in-game Brighntess.
-don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors.
-turn OFF flashlight. It helps!
>>
>>387432229
Thanks guys. Will try at least SH1 and see where it goes from there.

Btw, I can play all that on pc but I've got a working PS2 too. Where should I play them on?
>>
>>387432532
>Where should I play them on?
On whatever you want, EXCEPT the god-awful PS3/360 ""HD"" "Collection", which you should avoid.

That being said, the Playstation originals ARE the originals, so if you got a chance to experience them on that, you can't go wrong. The copies are kinda hard to acquire these days, and the prices are also going up thanks to collectors and HC fans not giving away theirs. And Konami has turned into a bunch of extra jewish pricks in the past decade that they cannot be assumed to re-release the games in any form now, especially the gigantic blunder the HD Collection was.

The PC versions and emulation are a fine alternative, and the only good way to go if you want HD graphics and stuff.
>>
>>387432796
>Konami has turned into a bunch of extra jewish pricks in the past decade
but they let kojima do whatever he wanted and he thanks them for it.
http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-thanks-konami-1797926808
>>
>>387432980
About that...

>Cultural context: He is "thankful for the experience working with Konami", not "thanking Konami". Big difference in Japanese.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (81KB, 850x481px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
81KB, 850x481px
>>387429880
Reminder that Snake has canonically hunted a Rathalos
>>
File: Konami Disbanded Team Silent.jpg (475KB, 663x744px) Image search: [Google]
Konami Disbanded Team Silent.jpg
475KB, 663x744px
>>387432796
>>387432532
...oh, also adding that you can literally forget the whole series after SH4. It was at that point that Konami broke down the Team-Silent, kicked the devs out, kept the SH's IP though, and started whoring it to random, western no-name devs, totally butchering the series for good.

>>387432980
Konami WAS a fine studio and host once upon a time, but little by little the aging business-man heads started to stomp down on creativity and serving fans.
You gotta remember that the whole "indie scene" practically didn't even exist before a mere decade or so ago, meaning a publisher was a required part of releasing vidya.
>>
>>387433262
My NIGGA!!
You can imagine my Joy when I played that part in PW. It was so FUCKING hype.
There was MGS armor sets on MHp3d too (I played the import ps3 version)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.