[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to remake a game? How hard is it to give it graphic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

How hard is it to remake a game?
How hard is it to give it graphic upgrades and that's it?
Why does this game has a metric fucktons of "remakes" and "spiritual successors" and why do they all suck?
>>
File: incredible sadness.png (136KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
incredible sadness.png
136KB, 500x477px
>>387398909
It is as hard as you want it to be. Can you take more analytical approach, for example, how exactly Age of Wonders 2 with addons suck compared to MoM?
>>
>>387398909
>Why does this game has a metric fucktons of "remakes" and "spiritual successors"
Because Master of Magic was one of the most ambitious games of its era, and in many ways lived up to said ambition as well in a way that remains relatively unique. So people want to make a product that can dethrone it.
>and why do they all suck?
Probably because they all try to be better than it somehow. Diverging from the formula too much or whatever. Instead of simply respecting the formula and build on it.
>>
>>387399068
Age of Wonders does so many things different, I consider them their own game.
We could also call Heroes of Might and Magic a remake as well, while we are at it.
But I obviously am not addressing these games.
>>
>>387399170
Oh, I thought AoW would more than qualify for a spiritual successor. Well, speaking of a direct good derivative to Master of Magic, it hasn’t come and probably never will.

MoM combines a lot of sub-features, like heroes with experience, items and, different races, dark world vs. light world system, unique faction leaders with leader creation system giving tons of ways to play, violent/peaceful victory conditions. For a modern profit-oriented company it is too easy to fuck at least one of these things up. And even if a company would achieve a perfect remake, who would play it besides a pair of neckbeards?
>>
they always get bogged down in making everything hexagonal or something and having shitty 3d models for every unit
>>
File: and then we will rape him.jpg (42KB, 541x249px) Image search: [Google]
and then we will rape him.jpg
42KB, 541x249px
>mfw pegasus army and I can shoot every melee unit down while they cant touch me
>>
>>387398909
Age of Wonders was perfectly fine, no idea what you're complaining about.
>>
>MoM

Oh man, I remember invoking that armageddon spell, volcanoes popping up all over the world.
>>
>>387400993
read >>387399170
>>
>>387398909
Devs are obsessed about balance instead of letting the player go wild with experiments and trusting him to keep himself in check if he comes across truly broken shit. Or not, if that's what he finds fun.
That's why you get bland spells in the vein of +10% damage on a crit versus undead instead of MoM's game-changing globals. MoM has a shitton of ridiculous potential builds and concepts to toy with, as well as races that are objectively better or worse, depending on how hard you want to challenge yourself. It's just plain more fun as a wizard sandbox.
>>
>>387402878
>Devs are obsessed about balance
Because the players, at least the vocal ones, want multiplayer. And in multiplayer you can't have wildly unbalanced spells because MUH BALANCE AND COMPETITIVE PLAY. If the game was singleplayer only, then it might get away with more interesting and unbalanced spells.
>>
>>387403140
You could solve that by making the spells become balanced when they go into multiplayer mode.
>>
>>387403140
I somewhat agree, but then you have almost strictly multiplayer games like Dominions where the spells can reach utter bullshit levels too, but since everyone has access to the same insanity, it's not really an issue. The notorious troublemakers like Ermor who benefit disproportionately just get balanced out by the players themselves by having to survive a preemptive gangbang.
I feel it's more often the case of a designer's compulsive obsession over strictly controlling all the possible numbers in his game.
>>
>>387403140
I haven't played a lot of multiplayer 4x games, why does balance matter so much? The games are all free-for-all, so surely having a mechanically stronger faction/race also means that everyone else is more likely to gang up against you?
>>
>>387405191
The mechanics often make it either plain impossible or a death sentence for all participants if someone stays out, either due to distance or the exorbitant costs involved.
>>
>>387405428
>if someone stays out

That's an essential part of the dynamic though. The person at the top should feel pressure that he might fall if everyone unites against him, and at the same time everyone else should be looking for opportunities to stab someone else in the back and come out on top instead.
>>
>>387406045
Sure, but if the faction is so grossly broken they're almost guaranteed to win if not stopped early, you're playing a game of lose-lose. Don't stop them, you lost. Stop them, the player farthest away won't have to burn as many early resources on the military and will eventually snowball out of proportion. Ganging up on someone right off the bat should be a choice, not a necessity.
It's not an issue in borderline wargames where you're best off attacking every turn anyway, but in Civ-derived 4X with an economy vs military build order choice it can be huge.
>>
>>387398909
They made a new MOO, maybe they might make a new MOM.
>>
>>387406492
I'd say Civilization games are at least borderline wargames. By far most of the activity available in the game has to do with warfare, especially after the initial land grab and after improvements have been built.

I wouldn't worry that much about the guy that's tucked far away from everyone else. Military spending is an investment, and in general, population = power in 4x games; if you're in a position to take population centers from a neighbor then you're in a position to become a powerhouse if you just manage to defend your acquisitions. The guy who started isolated from everyone else won't get that opportunity, nor should people in a multiplayer game trade with him so that he can grow in peace.
>>
File: Strategic.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Strategic.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
How's Sorcerer King?
I remember trying Elemental and while I liked a lot about it, the amateurish interface graphics and (more importantly) broken balance put me off, then I forgot about it and missed the patching attempts and Fallen Enchantress completely, now I'm reading they finally managed to get it right?
Right now I'm playing around with Eador but either it hides most of its features in the early tutorial missions or it's really simplistic.
>>
>>387409154
Isn't Sorcerer King made by the guy who made Fall from Heaven?
>>
>>387409543
I thought it was by Stardock as a second remake of Elemental: War of Magic, which was such a wreck that they gave Fallen Enchantress for free to people who bought it. Or something.
>>
>>387409780
Stardock hired Kael.
>>
File: Master_of_Orion_II_Boxart.png (356KB, 400x475px) Image search: [Google]
Master_of_Orion_II_Boxart.png
356KB, 400x475px
>>387398909
>How hard is it to remake a game?
>How hard is it to give it graphic upgrades and that's it?
>Why does this game has a metric fucktons of "remakes" and "spiritual successors" and why do they all suck?
>>
>>387403506
>but then you have almost strictly multiplayer games like Dominions where the spells can reach utter bullshit levels too, but since everyone has access to the same insanity, it's not really an issue.
Which is played by 100 total people in the world.
>>
>>387403140
that feel when multiplayer is no fun allowed
>>387410315
MoO got a remake in the style of the original (at a glance)
can't say I found the motivation to play it though
did it get better by release?
>>
>>387410676
>did it get better by release?
No it didn't.

AoW franchise is closer to MoM than MoO remake is to MoO2.
>>
>>387410830
but is it close to MoO?
I never cared for 2
>>
>>387410676
>better

It did. It is MoO2 levels of fun now that Antarians are in. Spy system is good but I still feel the AI is not that good at war. At least Antarian attacks are a challenge.

Oh also the trait system feels a bit different. No more government types. But everything else is more or less same
>>
>>387410315
>>How hard is it to give it graphic upgrades and that's it?

I imagine the problem with that is that publishers think more people will be interested if they make a larger overhaul.

Have there ever been official remasters to a game that only touched the graphics and didn't alter anything else? Only one that comes to my mind is Starcraft.
>>
Also can we compile a list of MoM clones, what they do different and where they fall short?
So far I got:
Age of Wonders
Elemental -> Fallen Enchantress -> Sorcerer King
Eador: [subtitle] - basically the same game with graphics upgrades
Warlock - Master of the Arcane (I don't know anything about it other than it looks ugly in the screens)
Worlds of Magic - the whole front page on Steam is thumbs down so probably not worth trying

I only played AoW and it was a while ago, but it felt more heroesyy than civ-y from what I remember, like everything was on a much smaller scale and consisted mainly of leading a bunch of units around the map, not building your own kingdom from the grounds up.
>>
>going full white and launching a crusade

feels good man
>>
>>387410885
Not really.

- AI
- Research
- Combat
- Ship design.
- Uninformative UI
- Diplomacy
- Governments
>>
>>387411231
>I only played AoW and it was a while ago, but it felt more heroesyy than civ-y from what I remember, like everything was on a much smaller scale and consisted mainly of leading a bunch of units around the map, not building your own kingdom from the grounds up.

That's the first wrong feel that I get about AoW compared to MoM. Its more localized, you don't get the impression of a whole world around you (+ Mirror plane).
>>
>>387411119
>Have there ever been official remasters to a game that only touched the graphics and didn't alter anything else? Only one that comes to my mind is Starcraft.
Off the top of my head, Turok, Planescape.
>>
>>387411594
Didn't the Turok remaster contain a bunch of changes to the level layout and enemy positioning? I remember getting that feeling and seeing comments about that although I never found a direct comparison of the maps.
>>
>>387411928
I haven't encountered any level changes up to world 8, where I am right now. But its been over 10 years since I played Turok first so I won't state it as a fact.

Interesting, I'll look into the topic.
>>
>>387412116
Likewise, I played Turok on the N64 when I was little and it's been over a year now since I played the new remaster, so my memory isn't exactly crystal clear on the differences.

I did find this topic just now, so it's not all my imagination https://steamcommunity.com/app/405820/discussions/1/458604254447461842/

Don't know anything about Turok 2 though since I never played it on the N64.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.