[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm pretty shit at factorio. Gonna start a new map, put

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: 20170817022205_1.jpg (832KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170817022205_1.jpg
832KB, 1920x1080px
I'm pretty shit at factorio.

Gonna start a new map, put in the console command for all green/red research and start from there.

This will be my fourth start, 20 hours in.
What other games have gnarly learning curves?
>>
>>387393880
Is Factorio worth it in its current state?
>>
>>387393942
Absofuckinglutely at $20. Me being shit or not, if this game is up your alley it'll be a good time.
>>
>>387393880
Using a main bus will help you a lot here
It's the cure to spaghetti
>>
dota

about a hundred or so hours in, you'll know what the items and skills do
about a hundred or so hours in after that, you'll begin understanding how to use them
about a hundred or so hours in after that, you'll start understanding how to use them to win
>>
>>387394106
Basically. I tried what I thought was a main bus but then found out it is most definitely not a main bus.
>>
I must have restarted like ~10 times before I finally settled on a "design" that lasted me to the end of the game

ignore efficiency at first, just try to organize everything neatly. The first thing you will probably settle on is having a huge line of parallel conveyor belts (the bus), with factories going perpendicular to it. You want to have it set up so it's easy to pull specific things out of the bus
>>
>>387393942
Ive got like 1000 hours into it and its still "fun". Download the demo see if you like it.
>>
>>387393880
>put in the console command for all green/red research and start from there.

Learn how to actually build a basic base including producing red and green science.
>>
>>387394320
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754378586&searchtext=bus

yw
>>
File: FACTORU.jpg (629KB, 1201x899px) Image search: [Google]
FACTORU.jpg
629KB, 1201x899px
I have no fucking clue what I'm doing.

I want to extend the furnace line into a steel production factory as the first step to setting up blue science but i'm drawing blanks with it.
>>
>>387393942
It was even worth the price 2 years ago. The price/playtime ratio is rediculous.
>>
A general tip for anyone learning factorio; Don't be afraid to tear down your entire factory and start over. Sometimes you simply cannot get anymore production out of your current setup as the demand ramps up very quickly in the later science stages. Taking a step back and rebuilding will help you learn immensely.
>>
Protip for new players: just build spaghetti, those maps end up being more fun anyway.
>>
>>387394106
It's a weird cycle where you first start out doing random shit which you quickly find out is COMPLETELY INADEQUATE 10 minutes after you finish it and can't be expanded, then you go to a main bus design because it makes perfect sense, then you get tired of that bullshit and just go back to what looks more like spaghetti than a bus but is easily expandable and has space to increase thoroughput and everything is dandy
>>
In vanilla Factorio, bus designed is objectively always the best.
Which makes it incredibly fucking boring. Vanilla Factorio is in this respect almost a solved game.

This is why I enjoy Angel+Bob mods - it's just because they fucking prevent the whole "build a fucking bus, read up ratios, expand until rocket".
>>
>>387398643
Make busses, split the coal and iron plate busses. Easy.
>>
File: 1459491239015.jpg (14KB, 320x246px) Image search: [Google]
1459491239015.jpg
14KB, 320x246px
>Its another /v/ jerks off the most basic of all skinner boxes thread
Wow that production line sure looks amazing, I bet you're fueling some real fun gameplay with all of that. No? Just more production lines? Thats pretty autistic anon, I mean that literally, this is an autism test, finding enjoyment in such "gameplay".

This is your company. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfLCuHSZ-U
>>
>>387393880
I start to really burn out once I hit like midway through the research paths. When I need three screens worth of automators or whatever just to keep 3 or 4 labs supplied with a single kind of research item, its just a bit much.
>>
Dudes, stop fucking ruining the game for others. When you discover primary bus design in Factorio, congratulations, you just killed game.

Let people actually have fun and figure shit out on their own before handing them the fucking solution.
>>
@387399123
imagine being like this
>>
>>387399159
Bored and not very smart? Not really that hard to imagine.
>>
>>387399148
I'd rather beeline to the most productive/elegant solution than fumble around spending hours I don't have building a wildly inefficient spaghetti factory.
>>
File: 1459758251076.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1459758251076.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
>>387399159
>>387399223
>Samefagging and using the @bait
Let me guess your reply, "dumb frog poster" or an edited screenshot "proving" you're not a samefag.
>>
>>387398643
It's releatively fine. Your smelter setup is not exactly ideal, but you'll eventually learn better smelter setups on your own.
The biggest issue I can see is the one half-belt supplying both the inserter-production and the red-science production with gears.
But in general it seems fine to me for non-veteran.

>>387399258
So you rather have the game solved for you than play it. Why don't you just fucking watch a let's play and call it a day?
>>
>start new game
>trees blocking literally everything
fuck off trees
>>
>>387398998
the fuck is a bus
>>
>>387393880
>shit at the game
>decide to cheat to skip techs, but still have to automate production because the following techs require it too
For what purpose? How about you learn the basics or explain what you are having trouble with so people can help you?
>>
What use is having splitters? Just moving a single belt into two separate belts? Maybe its the way I build shit, but I never have any use for splitters.
>>
>>387399543
Essentially a singular "highway" that the common materials are going down. Typically iron, copper, steel and green/red. Then the production is branched off that main highway, only taking what's needed and sending it to where that is required.
>>
>>387399684
>Balancing belts
>splitting a resource off to supply another input
>splitting one or two belts into more belts
>moving resources from one side of a belt to both sides
>>
>>387399543
Type of massive straight saturated conveyor line that shuffles all the core resources along single line, centered around constant re-balancing of the conveyor load. It stretches in single direction, while all production facilities are branching off it.
Bus-centered design is objectively the most efficient way to design your factory in Factorio. It's absolutely fucking boring if you don't discover it from yourself.

>>387399684
>What use is having splitters?
They are INCREDIBLY important. From balancing single-purpose belts (making sure there is equal amount of the resources on both sides of the belt at any time) to splitting higher-speed belts into lower-speed belts to just making sure even on lower production volumes your your resources get equally distributed among multiple different production lines (instead of one hogging majority of the resources).
They can also be effectively used to merge two belts into one (again particularly important when you are shifting between different belt speeds).

Really, eventually you'll learn that splitters are absolutely indispenseable.
But in early designs you probably won't be using them that much.
>>
>>387399972
I don't know if I will ever have the energy to be gud enough at the game to really make good use of all the shit the game has. Just looking at the circuit stuff confuses me, for example.
>>
>>387400060
That's probably the main feeling that a lot of Factorio veterans want back. The overwhelming sense of confusion. When you actually sit back and work things out for yourself and cobble together a make shift production that just gets out the few circuits you needed. Then you take that knowledge and make a better version of your spaghetti design.

One of my favourite moments playing Factorio was trying to come up with a good smelting design that could feed all of my factory, which required more ore than before which led to the revamping of my train network.
>>
>>387400060
You really don't need to make use of all the features. The game is all about finding out how to do stuff easier/automating, but most of the stuff isn't technically necessary. You will figure out what works and what doesn't, find better solutions and like that discover the new features like that. Circuit network in particular isn't really necessary. It does have some uses like automating Oil Cracking or turning off Steam Engines when you have Accumulators charged.
>>
File: 1494539723163.jpg (43KB, 411x418px) Image search: [Google]
1494539723163.jpg
43KB, 411x418px
>>387399123
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE REEEEEE

i love when people reacts like you, it reminds me that half the people on /v/ are either stupid or 15 years old
>>
>>387400489
>Stupid
Played the game and finished all its content within the hour, its barely a game at all, more a simple test of cognitive faculties. Cut down tree, put wood in machine, get coal, put coal.. Etc etc. The worst part? That is all there is, a game for stupid people to feel smart, and it has the nerve to not even be a game at all.
>>
>>387393942
No because you'll play hundreds of hours and get bored by the time the game will be at it's best, full of features. Wait for the updates to die out after it comes out of early access. In my experience it's about 2 years. Play other games meanwhile.
>>
>>387400060
Logic circuits are - at least in vanilla - the least important function of the game.
They do empower you do some AMAZING stuff, but you by no means need it to build the rocket and to learn it order to progress. It's just a whole lot of fun and options should you chose to learn them.

They also aren't that hard, at least on basic level.

Generally, Factorio has several levels of features.
CORE features that you really need to learn are basic rules of production - knowing how to set assembly lines: knowing how to get from a raw resource to material to final product: how to set smelters, assemblers and petrochem plants so that they ultimately make all the possible products in the game automatically.
This is necessary to learn in order to beat the game.

SECONDARY features are basic logistics: knowing how to use belts properply (how balance them, how improve through-put, how to set up proper ratios). It also includes BASIC trains (not counting train signals).
This is not completely necessary to master, but you'll eventually start learning anyway unless you want the game to SERIOUSLY drag.

THIRD is advanced logistics: using automated train networks including train signals, and robot-related logistics and blueprints. This is where things will start to get a bit complicated (with requestors and provider chests and rail-road segmenting). You can avoid all of this, but it makes the game a lot easier and funnier.

FOURTH is completely optional: Circuits. You don't really need to touch this at all. But if even basic understanding of them can make some things a lot easier (petrochem in particular).
If you learn it more in-depth, you do basically anything with it: construct your own virtual machines, construct your own virtual decoder connected to lamps to make digital displays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfwwqwxdxY&t=33s).

With a mod called "recursive blueprint", you can literally make simulated living organisms and grey-goo-scenario factories.
>>
>>387400734
>being this retarded
The game is about designing a factory so you don't have to do everything manually you dumb little shit. You are complaining about your own tedious playstyle which is exactly what you shouldn't do.
>>
>>387400489
Why do you feed this obvious troll?
>>
>>387400874
Did you mean the "etc" or are you too dense to understand what that means? It means there was more too it. You start collecting wood, then move onto creating machines to cycle the process, til you have a map wide autism train that has no pupose and is only "fun" for idiots who believe there is anything impressive about linking one machine to another.
>>
Best mods?

Been loving black market, good way to make use of overflow and giving the game a small trade/economy element in singleplayer.
>>
>>387401017
What are some games for well adjusted individuals such as yourself?
>>
>>387401380
Kerbal Space Program. It has progession, gameplay and goals.
>>
>>387401259
I use full suite of Bob and Angel's overhaul mods (completely turning most base production systems around), plus Rampant A.I. (dramatically improves bitter behavior, makes the game quite a lot harder) plus Natural Evolution (make enemies more strong too).

I also use a handful of basic quality of life mods (research for reach, driving assist, HELM, that kind of stuff) and visual mods (Shiny Bob's and Angel's).
Oh, and of course, RSO. But I kinda think that goes without saying.
>>
>>387393880
Don't skip sciences. They teach you how to play the game.
>>
>>387400734
>all content
>within one hour
you tried
>>
File: 1498047508957.jpg (53KB, 400x505px) Image search: [Google]
1498047508957.jpg
53KB, 400x505px
>>387400734
thanks for confirming the fact that you are the dumbest guy in the thread, and you are the one calling other autistic, that's very funny
>>
>>387401547
So like Factorio
>>
>>387404765
>>387404362
Why. The fuck. Do you fall. FOR THIS OBVIOUS fucking bait?!
>>
>>387405219
Neutral observer might take his bait as truth, so there is a need to point out that it's incorrect.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.