[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that it's settled that he can have a great 2D game in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: Sonicgen.png (657KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Sonicgen.png
657KB, 1000x1333px
Now that it's settled that he can have a great 2D game in the modern era, when are we going to see a great 3D Sonic?
>>
Generations came out in 2011 though lol xD
>>
>>387370974
Generations is more than half 2D.
>>
File: sayonara.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
sayonara.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>Adventure 2
>Shadow
>Riders
Pick one
>>
>>387371217
Seriously, even the 3D levels are mostly 2D
>>
3D Sonic can't work, can't have a game about going fast while also being a franchise that wants to appeal to kids and casuals.
>>
>>387371637
>Maturity falacy
>>
>>387371637
It can work they just haven't had appealing ideas for it yet. Current Sonic Team/Dimps couldn't even make 2D Sonic work well until the Mania guys showed up.
>>
>>387370386
Sonic Adventure.
>>
>>387371637
Then don't appeal to casuals. Sonic 1 didn't
>>
>>387373006
1/6 of it is decent.
>>
>>387372000
>Current Sonic Team/Dimps couldn't even make 2D Sonic work well

Sonic Rush was pretty gud. Then again I'm a diehard Blazefag so maybe I'm biased.
>>
>>387373885
Dude that was a decade ago
>>
>>387372000
>Current Sonic Team/Dimps couldn't even make 2D Sonic work well
Except they did? Rush and Advance games are good. You should actually try playing them.
>>
sonic R was good
>>
Hold on their champ, Mania was good, not great. That fat fuck Mario will show you a great game in a few months.
>>
File: 1145464666.png (903KB, 800x732px) Image search: [Google]
1145464666.png
903KB, 800x732px
>>387370386
In the brief moments that remain to you.
>>
>>387370386
Unless Izuka is fired, then never.
>>
>>387374141
Odyssey will be mediocre but will get a free pass by critics.
>>
>>387371221
I just realized, boost was just ripped from riders which still did it better.
and OP meant a modern great 3d game
>>
>>387373537
1/6?
There are 30 stages in all
Sonic has 10 and tails has 5, so that's half, if you're fine with chuckles, that's 2/3
>>
>>387374501
So just like Sonic Mania?
>>
i liked unleashed
>>
>>387375174
Ouch.
>>
>>387375174
Mania is absolutely perfect as a nineties Sonic game.
>>
>>387375187
You liked the Sonic levels.
>>
>>387375443
The 1990's were twenty years ago, duder. And even back then, Sonic was Mario's bitch.
>>
>>
>>387371637
Sonic should inherently work better in 3d then 2d since you can actually see shit ahead of you
>>
>>387374571
It's from the Rush games you tool.
>>
>>387375443
It's 2017 though.
>>
>>387377354
like 4 months difference, don't get your panties in a knot
>>
>>387374681
anon, tails' levels are literally the fucking same sonic stages but as a race
you can even go to the third part of speed highway if you fly to the building that triggers the falling down sequence
i would say that big's stages are the only ones that are different
>>
I don't know. Still waiting for the first good 3d sonic
>>
>>387370386
Simply just take the people behind Sonic Worlds, Sonic Utopia, and Green Hill Paradise as well as others, put them in a room and they'll sort something out no problem.
>>387373537
>>387374681
I'd wager that 4/6s of Adventure was fun. Gamma's stages are a straight upgrade of the SA2 schut style thanks to wider pathways, Gamma's run speed, and his jump. Fight against Beta was pretty ace, too.
>>
>>387375472
But Sonic is still technically Sonic even though he's in werehog form which were originally going to be Knuckles' stages. This displays that tone of the problems wasn't multiple playable characters in a 3D Sonic, but multiple Gameplay styles, otherwise people would REEEE at Tails and Knuckles in Mania.
>>
>>387370386
Sonic Unleashed 2
>>
>>387374051
sonic team and dimps also made Sonic 4.

Sonic Advance/Rush was more than a decade ago
>>
Just play Sonic World
>>
Once they decide to actually fix the problems 3D Sonic has had since Adventure 1 instead of doubling down on them or turning them into features.
>>
File: Sonic-Utopia-download.gif (2MB, 650x369px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Utopia-download.gif
2MB, 650x369px
in a perfect world, Sega would contact the Utopia people and do with them what they did with mania
>>
>>387380451
What are those problems in particular?
Hallway like level desgin?
Automated speed?
Imbalance when it comes to speed and platforming?
Momentum?
Glitches?
Adding in multiple styles instead of focusing on and perfecting one main style and A: getting rid of the others or B: Turning them into minigames?
Spit it out, man.
>>
Like this:
-Level design is split into 3 paths, left path middle path and right path. The left and right paths alternate between high and low. Levels are designed to encourage spindashes, a.k.a. alot of wallramps, and steep drops. The steep drops will have a top down perspective as it follows the spindash.
-Physics(similar to Adventure 1 but there is an ability to roll in the air to keep momentum)
-Hubworlds(like unleashed but with more quests, that require hunting specific robots or finding flickies/chao)
-Playable characters:
Sonic,Tails,Knuckles
-Unlockable characters(optional): Amy, Tikal, Shadow, Rouge, Espio, Charmy, Vector, Metal Sonic, Blaze, Silver
>>
>>387381382
I still play 06 because its the only time I could play with Blaze and Silver in 3D and I miss Shadow and Amy. Tails, Knuckles, and the Chaotix are the worst Sonic friends.
>>
>>387381135

The rigidly linear level design, automation (or rather excess of automation), and movement in general are the main offenders I think.

The first two combine to make a lot of 3D levels really boring to replay, because of how little changes between each run. Movement in general has somehow deteriorated since Adventure, with even fans of the boost formula admitting Sonic doesn't exactly control gracefully at low speeds. I think the movement systems generally aren't "robust" enough for interesting level design either, given how loops or pretty much any fancy geometry still aren't handled by the movement system itself, but scripted sequences. The third dimension is a bitch, but I honestly don't think it's acceptable that nearly two decades after Adventure they still have to use band aid solutions to fix what a game from 1991 could handle naturally.

I don't think they need to follow the Genesis exactly to make a good 3D game, but as it stands they've taken out intricate level design and nuanced movement mechanics, and replaced them with a whole load of nothing.
>>
>>387380721
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paaz16Nw20
Holy shit it's beautiful
>>
>>387378279
Then that means there's less game, not shitty gameplay
>>
>>387383406
Just about hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>387383468
Why are sonicfags so obsessed with remaking the exact same game over and over again?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.