[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artwork titled "Bath 2077" made by official CDPR concept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: klaus-wittmann-bath333.jpg (519KB, 1920x972px) Image search: [Google]
klaus-wittmann-bath333.jpg
519KB, 1920x972px
Artwork titled "Bath 2077" made by official CDPR concept artist.
Why concept arts often look so great/are full of atmosphere but once they are implemented in the game, it can look very generic/watered down?
>>
>>387346626
Because of technical and monetary limitations.
>>
>2077
>turntable
Fucking hipster
>>
>>387347992
I mean it can't be budget right?
You can have a better artistic style with worse graphics.
>>
>>387346626
Am I missing something or is that Japanese text made up bullshit?

Anyway, there's a reason you will only pay about $60 for a game but could drop several millions for a painting.
Different mediums have vastly different standards.
>>
>>387346626
>AG-SYSTEMS
>>
>>387346626
>>387350593
Wait, EG.X and Icarus are there too.
Is this wipeout concept art you're passing off as something else?
>>
File: egx.jpg (92KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
egx.jpg
92KB, 960x544px
I love wipeout.
>>
>>387350708
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rdVbJ
Artist works at CDPR.
Literally titled the picture "Bath 2077"
>>
File: tony-skeor-portraitttssss.jpg (651KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tony-skeor-portraitttssss.jpg
651KB, 1920x1280px
This wait is beyond absurd at this point. I just want to be a sexy faceless cyborg assassin in a cyberpunk RPG already.
>>
File: tex1_80x32_9bd4d31319a66457_2.jpg (19KB, 480x405px) Image search: [Google]
tex1_80x32_9bd4d31319a66457_2.jpg
19KB, 480x405px
Because today's industry favors realism over stylization. That's why Persona 5 was such a big hit in the west, it showed fucking idiotic western devs that everything doesn't have to be hollywood cinematics and storytelling.
>>
>>387349914
Million dollar paintings don't cost millions instead of 59.99 because of "different standards." They cost millions because there's an incredibly limited supply of them and a high demand.

There are about 2,500 known Monets in the world. The Witcher series has sold over 25 million copies total and there will always be more copies available. The difference in price isn't because someone arbitrarily decided the "standard" for paintings' quality was higher than games, the difference in price is determined by supply and demand interactions (as is the case with literally every good ever).

Educate yourself.
>>
>>387346626

A painting can is color organized into patterns and freely distributed by the artist, meaning he can manipulate, move, twist and distort whatever he wants.

The graphics in a game are the result of not as easy to manipulate assets combined and arranged within the limits of a system. Dynamically changing the palette of textures, certain lighting effects, models that can't be as easily changed without distracting the player contribute to that. Besides, artists use something called composition to the create "atmosphere" and to guide the audience's eyes through the piece. In a video game, you're always moving and usually you can look from any direction at objects. So it's hard to create consistently interesting scenes without taking control from the player.
>>
>>387351324
Are you implying The Witcher 3 is a comparable artistic endeavor to a Monet?
>>
File: 1419305647039.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1419305647039.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
They're not gonna show any 2077 at Gamescom this year, are they?
>>
Realizing those are just screens and not windows sort of ruins the comfy mood and architecture boner.
>>
>>387351324
>They cost millions because there's an incredibly limited supply of them and a high demand.
They cost millions cause they're all used to launder dirty money
>>
>>387351679
Whether or not they are comparable is irrelevant, the point of my post was merely to point out that you're understanding of how the monetary value of art is determined is completely incorrect.

But to answer your question I'd say it depends on what you mean by comparable. Monet's work is in my opinion so much more timeless and beautiful than the Witcher series that you cannot really compare the two but art is subjective and I'm sure that there are people with which the Witcher 3 resonates but The Water Lilies does not. On the other hand, if you compare man hours spent developing the Witcher 3 it would far outweigh the man hours spent painting all of The Water Lilies.

Once again, though, beauty and man hours are only relevant to art's monetary value to the degree that they influence supply and demand. On their own they are meaningless for such a determination.
>>
>>387351920
This desu.
Nobody is retarded enough to pay millions for someone puking on a piece of cloth.
>>387351190
100% agree.
Retarded cinematic shit that got pushed incredibly far with TloU is ruining games.
stylisation>realism always
>>
>>387351324
While you're true in part, the demand portion is directly related to the value of the product. Controlling for supply, a higher quality product will have higher demand than a lower one, as the user gets more use out of it. Additionally, in this situation, the market is being affected by a price restriction, and a production delimiter. It may not be literal restriction, but the culture surrounding price of video games is definitely restricting an increase in price, and production is at least in part unrestricted because of digital distribution, so honestly speaking, comparing high art supply and demand and the price of video games is just pointless. The markets are just too different
>>
>>387349240
Not when you're given a week to get your shit done and pressured to move on to the next thing you have no time to work on.
>>
>>387352447
I specifically addressed this
>beauty [is] only relevant to art's monetary value to the degree that [it] influences [...] demand
>>387351920
Think of it like the chicken and the egg. Paintings auctions can be used to launder money because they are high ticket items. They aren't high ticket items because they can be used to launder money.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.