[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do diablo-like action RPG's have quests? I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: GrimDawn.jpg (685KB, 1728x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GrimDawn.jpg
685KB, 1728x1080px
Why do diablo-like action RPG's have quests? I've been playing Grim Dawn with a group of three other friends who I normally play these type of games with. It doesn't matter what game it is quests seem to always just get in the way of actually killing shit for loot. Like when I'm playing these types of games I'd almost prefer the exact opposite of what I'd like in most single player open world RPG's. I just want an enclosed dungeon that has constant rooms with enemies, traps, bosses, and loot. Really even merchants are fucking pointless.

Why isn't there a game where there's an Embark Screen where you select gear and equipment and you make your characters together Oregon trail style and you just try and get as deep into an endless dungeon as you possibly can? We spend more time searching for quest shit and wandering around looking for mobs as actually playing the game killing shit. It just seems like a massive waste of production time that doesn't add anything.
>>
>>387325160
Action or not it's still RPG and follows the traditional rules
It'd be hack and slash otherwise
>>
>>387325160
Sounds like what you're looking for are roguelikes.

Some diablolikes have questless content at endgame. But quests are just a thing. It's just sort of how the genre has been since diablo 1. Not that it's the right way or the only way to do it but the developers seem to want to do it.
>>
>>387325160

D3 has greater rifts that are just that. Just keep dungeon delving for loot galore. There is an arena type mode in Grim Dawn where you just fight increasingly harder and harder waves of mobs but it won't give you the bags and devotion points and shit you'd get from doing campaign so you still need to do that.
>>
Well usually these games are about the endgame where you've done all the quests and you're basically just hitting embark and grinding maps/bosses/that dungeon that grim dawn has.

Just think of them as part of your character creation.
>>
Is Grim Dawn the best Diablo-like right now?
>>
>>387325772
The problem is there aren't really like party based co-op roguelikes. Honestly the quests would bother me less if I was playing by myself because its easy to keep track of everything. In a group though regardless of how diligent you're trying to be, people kind of just get high and wander off because they see a boss or whatever. You end up having a million incomplete quests. In Grim Dawn its even worse because there are branching faction stuff and for example in our group three of us chose the Dark Legion or whatever and one of us accidentally chose the other side. Admittedly this could have been avoided if everyone actually read the quest dialogue and was attentive but honestly that kind of defeats the point of playing diablo with your friends.

Nobody wants to pause every five minutes to read quest stuff when you're trying to play a dungeon crawling game together. I guess the problem is probably our group instead of the game though, they knew what they wanted to make.
>>
>>387326267

>incoming PoE posters in 3... 2... 1...
>>
>>387325160
Vestigial leftovers from CRPGs. These games really aren't about that, though.
>>
>>387325857
Do people normally level up separately and then just play together at end game?
>>
>>387326414
Quest items taking up already limited inventory in POE is a pain in the ass, if its meant to encourage you to complete the quest as fast as possible, it works
>>
>>387326267
Does it have ladders and trading yet?
>>
>>387326582

Uh, I never play with random people so I just do campaign and level with buddies in all aRPGs. It also helps you get used to the increased difficulty so you gear properly.
>>
does PoE have quests too? been thinking about starting that shit
>>
>>387325160
>RPG's

>>387326267
Without a motherfucking doubt, my dude.
EXPANSION SOON, FELLOW STALKERS
>>
>>387326742
>ladders
Thank god no

>trading
You have always been able to trade if you know where to look.
>>
>>387326830
it has the standard NPC fetch and kill quests and also a set of "masters" NPCs who can be found randomly and you level an influence with them by doing their quests. Level it enough and you can do a quest for them at your personal base daily and they unlock unique stuff once its high enough
>>
>>387326937
>no ladders

dead
a
m
e
>>
>>387325160

>why

A lot of people will tell you its because of the "RPG" part of ARPG, but I think it's also so that developers can control the rate of leveling much more easily. Quests provide a huge portion of your actual leveling experience (or, in the case of PoE, passive points), which allows the devs to essentially force you to be within the vicinity of certain levels by the time you reach certain areas. If there were no quests, they'd have to balance the exp gain around the possibility of people just rushing through areas and potentially being underleveled, which will make them have to backtrack to grind and potentially kill their enthusiasm.

Any other system of just dumping a big lump sum of exp on you will resemble a quest system anyway, only with all the backstory and writeup to try and make you want to get the quest goal for roleplaying reasons as opposed to the reward alone.
>>
>>387325160
There is, it's called Diablo 3 adventure mode.
>>
>>387326830
There are quests during the early and mid game but the endgame is basically just hitting 'embark' and getting your grind on.
>>
>>387327029

only without*
>>
File: a good feel.png (5KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
a good feel.png
5KB, 645x773px
>>387327029
nice writeup anon
>>
>>387327024
Why would I want to be competitive in a single player game? That's retarded. If the game's replayability is carried by seasons/ladders it's a shit game.
>>
>>387325160
Go play Diablo 3 then. Sounds like it's adventure mode is all you want.
>>
>>387327029
I think I'd prefer a PSO/PSU like system honestly. Just have dungeons and level requirements to get into them.
>>
>>387327315

PSO2 has fantastic gameplay but fuck the F2P model fucked up the general feel of the game where you're just loading up on dailies and shit all the time or waiting on emergencies.
>>
>>387325160

I like how d3 and dark souls handled that, shit doesnt even feel like a quest, more of a straight path with dps checks, dark souls being more dps check centric and d3 more linear. Talk to xy, get a marker on your map, expliore the zone or rush directly to the quest being up to you. Never breaks the pacing whatsover
>>
>>387325160
Actual reason: those whole genre is built on instant gratification, not challenge. They are pretty much like slot machines or cookie clicker or trash like that.
Quests are just another way to give player fake
gratification.
>>
>>387327029
>Quests provide a huge portion of your actual leveling experience (or, in the case of PoE, passive points)
I can't remember a single diablolike that actually rewarded you with XP from quests. And in the case of PoE you get like a fraction of your skill points from quests and you can still easily rush ahead and be underleveled because ALL of your xp comes from killing shit. But rushing ahead is something experienced people do intentionally because it's much efficient to catch up at a higher level than it is to go at a normal pace killing most of the shit you meet.
>>
>>387327523
The games are more about long term planning and gradually seeing your build come together. Instant gratification is not that these games are any good at.
>>
>>387327795

Being underleveled in PoE only affects gear, which comes in tiers anyway. You're rarely going to be underleveled by a huge enough margin enough that you can't pass a gear check.
>>
>>387327795
>I can't remember a single diablolike that actually rewarded you with XP from quests
You can't remember titan quest?
>>
>>387325160
To tell a story, also isn't there an endless mode you can buy?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.