[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has this game aged well? About to start as I haven't played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

Has this game aged well? About to start as I haven't played it in forever. Paladin all the way.
>>
File: e6a717_5587396.jpg (257KB, 1095x730px) Image search: [Google]
e6a717_5587396.jpg
257KB, 1095x730px
>>387298807
It could've aged much worse. The sprites are actually pretty neat looking still, and the gameplay is not that archaic. It's actually quite a refresher of how simple combat is for the most part. For most encounters you just need to choose the right people to attack the right enemies, and the game does the rest. Modern CPRGs seem to be a skillfest with every encounter and they're balanced that way, so combat gets annoying after too long.

t. someone who played Baldur's Gate for the first time earlier this year
>>
FUCK RPG CODEX!
aged like milk, play Pillars of Eternity
>>
it was fucking terrible to begin with so I guess it's aged well because it's still terrible
>>
>>387299307
I want to but it still costs 40.-.
>>
>>387299307
Pillars of Eternity is boring as fuck tho
>>
If you had the patience to play this kind of game back in the day to begin with, then yes. But if you have no nostalgia for it, I'd say no. This style of RPG is very slow and antiquated.
>>
>>387298807
I played 1 and 2 for the first time a year ago and I think they aged decently. The biggest issue is how slow the first one is at the start unless you stuff enemies with arrows. Unless you know the game pretty well, the first few levels are going to be pretty painful as a mage.
>>
>>387298807
>games age meme

If you actually played it before why would you ask a stupid question like that.
>>
>>387298807
>2D4+2
>Armor Class
>Roll for Initiative
>Rest at Inn to replenish cast
>Caltrops

Only autistic man children who wasted their lives playing DnD in their mother's basements like this game.

Any rpg with "roll dice" for anything is cucked to death.
>>
>>387299307
>>387299430
I agree somewhat, the game only gets fun to play once you unlock the bulk of your abilities which is about 2/3 of the game. Until then, It feels like a chore but once you hit that make you'll feel like a god.
>>
>pick paladin
>highest difficulty
>get rekt by the thief at the very beginning
DROPPED
>>
>>387299307
>Pillars of Eternity
You can't be serious m8
>>
>>387298807
I'd rather just play D&D, TTRPGs almost ruined videogames for me, anyway.
>>
>>387301063
How do you fuck up that bad? I remember even mage characters being able to one-shot that "assassin" at the start.
>>
>>387301063
Which thief? Oh and that kind of makes sense, You've spent your whole life under the tutelage of monks and Gorion, you're basically a school boy who hasn't really fought at all.

Once you're past the first main boss you're gonna fare much better as the good equipment starts to roll in.
>>
>>387301145
Most certainly not on the highest difficulty. The enhanched edition has more.
>>
>>387301063
>pick mage
>highest difficulty
>get oneshot rekt by rat in tutorial quest area
DROPPED FUCKING WORST GAEM EVER

This actually happened to my friend. He still mad
>>
>>387301198
Either way a melee character should have literally zero trouble, even on highest difficulty.
>>
>>387301214
>friend ask for a game like dungeons and dragons since we do tabletop rpgs all the time in our own fantasy setting
>tell him about baldur's gate and he tries it out
>ask him how it was
>''lol I didn't play more than 5 minutes of it I hate top-down games''
I guess I can understand it
>>
>>387301296
You know, you can't do more than right click attack at first and when he beats you to death without you taking any of his life, you might be questioning this difficulty.
>>
>>387301358
Just stop rolling 1, it's just a game :^)
>>
>>387301198
>>387301358
Not the guy you're talking to but you're not bullshitting, I just tried it with a 99 roll paladin. Unless you use your protection from evil spell you're gonna get hit hard and your weapon is most likely going to break half is health. Tried it several times without the spell and with.
>>
File: 1500838947889.png (147KB, 367x647px) Image search: [Google]
1500838947889.png
147KB, 367x647px
>>387298807
I don't know how well it works for some new player with a taught young body experimenting with THAC0 and dual-classing, but it aged great so long as you can handle AD&D. Recently replayed BG1 and have gone in to Dragonspear and they're both significantly better than modern knockoffs like Pillars of Eternity. Divinity Original Sin is enough of a different beast there isn't much overlap, especially if you play it co-op. The enhanced editions are pretty fine too, but I would recommend disabling the stupid sprite filter but it's a matter of taste.
>>
>>387298807
Good concepts (sprawling wilderness, lots of shit to do, world doesn't really give a shit about you except when the story demands you start tripping Bhaals) with horrible execution of combat as is typical with DnD geimu
>>
>>387299379
>40.-.
How much is this in a real currency?
>>
>>387298807
BG2 is literally the best thing to ever happen to video games which originated from this side of the japan sea since the invention of the transistor. Maybe the best, period.
And I never played BG1 because of the low levels, it feels like it's awesome but with boring combat.

Don't play at highest difficulty right away and if you find trouble play a tanky character.
>>
>>387303284
>Don't play at highest difficulty right away and if you find trouble play a tanky character.
You can't switch to the highest difficulty later on.
>>
>>387303317
Since the game has enormous replay value, try highest in the second run. It makes sense not to play on highest difficulty since the difficulty scales HP and damage of enemies up to double, which is not intended in D&D (lv1 warrior taking a swing on lv1 mage is 75% assured 1HKO while he has to cast about 6 magic missiles is just frustrating for a new guy, even considered that lv1 mage is supposed to be the worst)
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.