[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of buying Elite Dangerous on the PS4. No Man's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_1066.jpg (386KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1066.jpg
386KB, 1680x1050px
Thinking of buying Elite Dangerous on the PS4. No Man's Sky is still dogshit, and I doubt that'll change anytime soon. I figure this might scratch the space-sim itch. What does the majority of /v/ think of this game?
>>
I have a friend who plays it all the time on PS4. I would get it if I was looking for a time-sink
>>
>>387288359
I've been wondering about the population on the PS4 though. How many people do you think are active on it?
>>
Huh, guess not many people are interested in ED
>>
It's not great. Closer to a space trucking sim than anything. Combat's alright, it's very pretty, but it's shallow and you're going to spend a lot of time not doing much of anything. I quit playing before the expansion so I'm not sure how good any of that content is. It might scratch that itch for a bit but you'll have to really force yourself to feel immersed.
>>
>>387288273
If you thought No Man's Sky was dogshit, I'm not sure you'll think much differently about ED. It's pretty good at the outset but once you get into the grind, you'll wonder what you're doing with your life.

Unless it supports PSVR. Then by all means, go nuts. It was amazing to experience on the Rift.
>>
>No Man's Sky is still dogshit

Except it isn't now. But it's your loss, bro
As for Elite, I haven't really considered buying it despite being a big spacefag. The whole "no offline" is absolute bullshit.
>>
>>387290397
>no offline
But there is offline? It's the only way to play to avoid dumb interdictions from other players.
>>
I like elite but every time I go back to space sims I always go for either X3: Albion Prelude or Evochron Legacy, for much cheaper they do more than Elite by leaps and bounds.
>>
>>387290397
It's a dynamically changing galaxy, local events affect regional, regional affects sectional, etc...
So all the players trade, transports, combat, etc.. contributes to the continuous evolution of the galaxy
>>
>>387290642
There isn't. There's a "solo mode" where the universe is just bots, but it still needs a connection to the server. If you ever lose your internet, you lose Elite.
>>387290684
Speaking of X, people have been saying that Home of Light dramatically increased the quality of X: Rebirth. Any truth to that?
>>
>>387290642
There are private and solo options available
>>
>>387290397
>no man's sky isn't dogshit
A couple of updates won't fix your games sean fuck off
>>
>>387288273
You grind trade and transport missions, then you buy and outfit ships for combat, exploration, bounty hunting etc..
>>
>>387288273
just play freelancer
>>
>>387290864
>still needs a connection to the server
Ah, right, because of the economy and territory things. I get that.
Though I'm not sure who really loses their Internet these days
>>
I should really play this again now that I upgraded my GPU
>>
>>387291163
Fair point, but for me it's the principle of the thing. If I pay money for something, I generally like to own it instead of forever losing it when the servers die out.
>>387291054
Fuck off
>>
>>387290642
Buy a badass Python, then kill them
>>
>>387289737
>It's pretty good at the outset but once you get into the grind, you'll wonder what you're doing with your life
Sounds like every MMO out there. If I could stomach FFXIV for as long as I did, I might be able to handle this.
>>
>>387288273

I played up until Horizon, and a tiny bit after that.

The game is very pretty. Flying your ship is satisfying as fuck, the sound design, the weapons everything feels tight and on point.

However, its kind of boring. The best way to make money is to trade, which is basically looking up on a wiki a "trade circle" meaning you buy X from system 1, go to system 2, sell X and buy Y go to system 3, sell Y and buy Z etc. until you end up at system 1 again. Repeat ad infinitum. The only thing to spice it up is interdictions, which if its an NPC you'll beat easily and if its a kitted out player you won't stand a chance.

Now here's the important part. The community (on PC at least, no experience on PS4) is what makes the game. Once you've grinded to kit out a ship for what you want, there are actually a lot of community events going on you can join, both formal and informal. There's a group of actual players that goes around rescuing people who ran out of fuel, for example. A while ago the ED newsletter talked about another group of players who decided to make a big expedition to the other side of the galaxy. In ED this is a legitimate undertaking, which took in real time almost a month. When they got back they were basically all rich because of all that delicious survey data but my god it must have been mind numbingly boring. Jumping from place to place can be a chore, and fueling up takes time.

I ended up rambling, but my basic point is that ED is not good single player. The community can be quite fun and interesting, but you have to engage with them, and you'd have to go to Reddit to do it.
>>
>>387288273
>NMS post 1.3
>utter dogshit

you really should play it, dude
don't let /v/ meme you out of decent games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX4Kj3IcQtQ
At least give it a pirate
>>
>>387288273
its shit, t.player with 1k hours
>>
>>387288273
It's not a "game" as much as it's a space simulation with gamelike aspects, like life.
>>
>>387291598
12 months on, it's almost the game as promised pre release
>>
>>387292273
yeah, they fucked up
but at least it's a game now; I have no idea why /v/ is sperging so hard because of something shitty becoming something decent free of charge

literally impossible to have a thread without being called a shill or sean
>>
File: IMG_1067.jpg (158KB, 755x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1067.jpg
158KB, 755x918px
Welp, guess I'm not getting ED then. Mary Skelter it is. Red Riding Hood is waifu material
>>
>>387292349
You need to remember that people got duped pretty hard by NMS. Of course there's going to be a lot of hate on it, even now with the updates.
>>
>>387288273
I recently started it on PS4, I've seen a few other players floating around, but I haven't really left my home system yet.
>>
File: 359320_20170815112633_1.jpg (579KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
359320_20170815112633_1.jpg
579KB, 1920x1080px
>>387291568
I think it can be fun, even alone (yet I always play online just in case I run into some friendly players), if you just look shit up. I've only played a couple of days now since it was in alpha/beta whatever. But I'm enjoying it way more when I just admitted that if I were to discover everything myself, it would take ages and I would enjoy the experience less.

So I learned about EDDB, Extraction zones [high], neutron stars FSD boosting 150+ Ly by flying into their jets.

I went in and marked fun locations I knew about before since I am interested in space. Like VY Canis Majoris, various black holes, etc. Then there's *actual spoilers* alien stuff like this video that I plan to visit sometime:

https://youtu.be/GqaIWtTCB1E?t=391

And even easier stuff to find like the radio broadcast sent from earth. Finding Sol was the obvious first choice of course.

I just think once you really get a hang of the galaxy map and your interface overall. And look things up, it really speeds up and you can do what you really want instead of being forced to to boring space trucking. It's fucking space, man, it's made to explore, that's all we did in Space Engine.
>>
>>387292545
Not him, but I don't see how sean lying to everyone justifies the scorned fans lying to people about the current state of the game. It's just a cycle of shit. If you understandably don't want sean to have money, it's easy as hell to pirate.
>>
File: 20170726221855_1.jpg (294KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170726221855_1.jpg
294KB, 1920x1080px
I've played about 400 hours of the game. It is great for doing exactly what it is, a space sim. But a lot of people get into the game expecting an MMO. As long as you go in realizing the game is about total freeroaming exploration and experimentation, not questing, then you'll be fine.

The greatest strength of this game is being literally dumped on a station and expected to find everything yourself. You have to figure out the controls, how to make money, where to buy upgrades and etc through exploration. This is not for everyone and of course most people just cheat by looking for a guide online. But I'd highly suggest avoiding this. If you just follow a guide, you can do basically everything in 40 hours.

Also, I'd suggest playing it on PC. But that's just me.
>>
when does it usually go on sale on Steam? No way I'm paying 30 dollars
>>
>>387294808

>No way I'm paying 30 dollars
>for a game I can play for 300 hours
Steam babies.
>>
>>387290397
Your game is garbage Sean, you need to seriously consider killing yourself.
>>
>>387294172
What're some fun things to do in a group besides bounties and community content?
>>
>>387295037
You can play Cookie Clicker for thousands of hours, doesn't make it worth a dime though.

Anyway ED is shallow trash OP.
>>
>>387295271
Damn, that's disappointing.
>>
>>387288640
You can't be in an instance with more than 20 players so it shouldn't matter that much anyway
>>
>>387295037
You can have Elite Dangerous running for 300 hours, but I wouldn't describe the majority of that time as "playing."

It does make a great game to play on the side while you're doing stuff like learning to draw, or play a guitar.
>>
>>387295248

This isn't a group based game. It's a single player game with the ability to fight some people if you choose.
>>
>>387295518

You can have any game on for 300 hours and not play it, regardless of how much there actually is to do. You can have Civilization V on for 300 hours and never settle your first city. That's your fault.

>>387295271

>the game doesn't have linear objectives and quests for me to do so it sucks!
>>
>>387295605
I would have hoped you could understand the difference between doing nothing and having nothing to do.
>>
>>387295120
epic edge, bro
>>
>>387296083

The irony in this post. Just because you think the game has "nothing to do" doesn't mean everyone thinks that way.
>>
File: 1452448080670.jpg (41KB, 264x292px) Image search: [Google]
1452448080670.jpg
41KB, 264x292px
>that one guy that got yanked out of space by an alien
>>
>>387296751
?
>>
>>387296962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMGKLjbDwo
>>
>>387292968
>alien stuff like this video that I plan to visit sometime
I don't think the Thargoids are still ripping people out of Hyperspace, but there's quite a few seemingly abandoned Thargoid planetary bases that you can still go and visit. Once update 2.4 rolls out (probably some time next month), the Thargoids are going to become a major part of the game.
>>
File: 359320_20170815100103_1.jpg (983KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
359320_20170815100103_1.jpg
983KB, 1920x1080px
>>387297026
>Once update 2.4 rolls out the Thargoids are going to become a major part of the game

Cool, I already know about the bases and yes, I plan to visit them, and some other cool planets with deep craters.

I think there's a planet where you can actually enter a tunnel system too, where this alien 'architecture' is. How to go about doing it though, is waaay in the future for me. I mean, I am still in a cobra MK3 aiming for a Diamondback Explorer. I got the money for it now, but I want enough to always be in the green when it comes to insurance, which is currently at ~100k

Shame about the hyperspace encounter. At least I got to see it on video.
>>
is this anything like EVE?
>>
>>387288273
great game, but the grind mid game is very very very tedious, generally for me, the fun derives from having progression, i dont mind grinding so long its actually entertaining, but in elite its just the same chores, saving for a cobra MKIII was satisfying, then came an ASPX, and later on a python, and then heres when the game begins to tank, ill still play it and try other mediums besides passengers (which i currently run) such as mining or maybe bounty hunting once i get enough fed rep for a Fed AS, but so far, it gets a little boring after a while.

also fuck multi sun systems, why cant we pick what damn sun we jump into, thats bullshit having to travel 300k Ls for a station orbiting another sun
>>
>>387293140
>sean lying to everyone
I have a feeling that there's a lot of background corporate meddling we don't know about. Sean seems more like a scapegoat for Sony, who were significantly involved in the marketing of NMS, than the actual culprit behind all of the lies perpetuated about the game. I doubt Sean would have been allowed to say anything about the game that Sony didn't pre-approve. It really seems like Sony forced the game out the door before it was ready and then threw Hello Games under the bus and let them deal with the shitstorm that followed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2016/09/17/sony-appears-to-tell-to-no-mans-sky-developer-sean-murray-that-its-all-his-fault/#1b0750eb4c7d
>>
File: Atom.jpg (24KB, 480x331px) Image search: [Google]
Atom.jpg
24KB, 480x331px
>>387297594
>also fuck multi sun systems, why cant we pick what damn sun we jump into, thats bullshit having to travel 300k Ls for a station orbiting another sun

I recently had to do that, don't remember the exact distance but at least I got to go up to 500 times the speed of light.
>>
>>387297870

>he thinks 300c is far
Go out of the bubble. You routinely run into systems where there's a water world 650,000c away from the jump point.
>>
>>387297814
>muh evil Sony
The man himself outright lied in interviews
>>
>>387295248
Multi-crew is pretty fun if you can afford a ship with a fighter bay, or have a friend who can.
>>
>>387298015
Yeah, and he fucked us over. But the point is the dude fixed his "lies".
Also if you're going to bitch about multi, the dude even said on his twitter that it was a SP game.
>>
>>387297980
What kinds of speeds do you reach there? I've read of people going like 1200C.
>>
>>387297814

>muh evil Sony

He outright lied in interviews.

And lets not forget how the game got pushed back when they lost all their data in a flood.

Seems to me the dev studio was incompetence incarnate.
>>
>>387298163
if you want to find the voyager 1 in SOL, you pretty much travel around 2370000 Ls from the sun, you do reach 1200c but it starts to build up speed very very slow
>>
>>387298015
>>387298207
Ok, samefag.
>The man himself outright lied in interviews
Yes, he lied in interviews set up and paid for by Sony. Use your critical thinking skills, anon: if Sony was footing the bill for marketing NMS, then who do you think had the final say in how it was marketed? Why would Sony allow Sean to use their money to just go on stage and say whatever he wants about the game? Anything that Sean said or didn't say had the Sony seal of approval, and you'd have to be stupid to think that Sony would invest as much as they did into the game's marketing without having any control over how it was marketed.

>they lost all their data in a flood
This only helps support my theory.
>Hello Games loses significant data so game has to be delayed
>Sony get impatient with delays and force Hello Games to release NMS before its ready
>Collect their cash and pretend they never had anything to do with NMS
>>
>>387298207
You keep saying this, yet NMS is now a pretty good game. I wouldn't call them incompetent in any sense of the word.
>>
>>387288640
>population
You're never going to run into another player anyway
>>
>>387296751
At least they're nice enough to not disable life support
>>
File: 1495824894966.jpg (973KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1495824894966.jpg
973KB, 1600x1600px
>>387299061
Yes you are, there are systems with community goals where people are bound to be, not to mention the starter system and Sol.

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/237792/how-can-i-find-other-players-in-elite-dangerous

And generally they have a hollow icon on the radar. Just check your contacts list if you believe you are near one. Their name will always have CMDR in front of their name.
>>
>>387288273
don't wait till theres more content. The game doesn't even have an end game.
>>
>>387299403
Thanks anon, I played it like 90 hours when I got it and never saw anyone, but I never figured out those community goal things anyway.

Maybe I'll pick Horizons up and give it a go again when I get my VR headset and RMA'd x52 joystick back
>>
>>387288273
No mans sky isnt comparable to elite
No mans sky is more solo focused and about mining, crafting, trading, exploration.
Elite is more multi and fighting.
Also 1.3 made no mans sky into a passable thing. They still need to work on the species generator.
>>
File: 359320_20170815105224_1.jpg (432KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
359320_20170815105224_1.jpg
432KB, 1920x1080px
>>387300686
You don't even have to read the news to find out where it is. Just check the galaxy map and zoom out. The system has it's own icon.
>>
>>387298163

Your speed is based on how far you are from an object. Almost always a star. So say you are trying to reach a star that's 300,000c from another star. You will start flying towards the star gaining speed the farther you are away from the first star. Then when you get within the second stars 'gravity' (around 50-100c depending on the star type), your speed will start to slow down. Usually its about 12-15 minutes to go 300,000c, depending on the star type.
>>
>>387301028
>Your speed is based on how far you are from an object. Almost always a star.

I know, I just didn't quite figure out the nature of it, considering when you move closer to any other astronomical body you usually speed up, not down. While moving away from a star naturally will slow you down.

I always over speed on purpose when going to say, an extraction zone, because I nose down until my speed is adjusted and then head on up in perfect speed.
>>
>release game with false promises because pressured by Sony
>realize you fucked up
>1 year later 3 huge free updates released
say what you want but at least Hello Games have backbones
>>
>>387300851
Last time I played I had finally reached the anime grill's faction and started doing some of that, but I never saw other players and couldn't really see any notable progress with the faction
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.