[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm compiling various sources to get to who did what in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1502800658140[1].jpg (2MB, 2429x3501px) Image search: [Google]
1502800658140[1].jpg
2MB, 2429x3501px
I'm compiling various sources to get to who did what in Mega man designs. This is what I've discovered so far:

Akira Kitamura:

>Mega Man
>Roll
>Dr. Light

Inafune:
>Elec Man
>Bomb Man
>Dr. Wiley
>MM1 minor enemies (including favorites like Sniper Joe, Metal, etc)
>Zero
>Punk
>Splash Woman
>Plug Man
>Auto
>Beat
>Trinity (MN9)

Unknown:

>Cut Man (possibly Kitamura)
>Ice Man
>Fire Man
>Guts Man (Possibly Bon Bon)
>Rush
>Eddie

Hayto Kaji:

>Bass
>Trebble
>X
>Shield attacker enemy
>Duo

Sources:

Mega Man Complete Works
Wikipedia
>>
File: tumblr_losf17GOBZ1qzp9weo1_1280.gif (18KB, 604x695px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_losf17GOBZ1qzp9weo1_1280.gif
18KB, 604x695px
>>387227834
>Unknown:
>>Cut Man (possibly Kitamura)
It was Kitamura:
http://shmuplations.com/megaman/
>Kitamura: When I first created the world for Mega Man, but before I knew what the gameplay system would be—originally there was no Mega Man, no Roll, no Dr. Light. Cut Man was the hero. (laughs) I imagined a game where you’d use those scissors on his head to cut down enemies and other obstacles as you progressed through the stage.
>>
>>387228230

I figured that. He doesn't specifically say he designed him though, but he created the character and implies it.
>>
>>387228594
True, I guess disregard what I said/linked then. Good luck on figuring all that stuff out by the way, any reason you're doing this or is it just because it interests you?
>>
>>387228675
>Good luck on figuring all that stuff out by the way, any reason you're doing this or is it just because it interests you?

There is immense confusion out there. People think Inafune did everything. Then after MN9 flopped, people think Inafune did nothing. I want to get to the bottom of this, and clarify the issue.
>>
Mega Man Complete Works

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dpgpc1bvb9fhbu7/MM25pt1.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/39lqyqklp10vxek/MM25pt2.zip)

http://shmuplations.com/megaman/
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tgs-07-mega-man-celebrates-20th-anniversary/1100-6179759/
https://www.destructoid.com/keiji-inafune-dropped-mad-mega-man-secrets-on-me-261362.phtml
>>
>>387228815
Well I know memes and all but everyone has to be aware how much Mega Man was derived from fan submissions. But obviously you're the majority of the Robot Masters shouldn't be an issue.

Also if you read in that book you posted you'll find out that while Axl was absolutely designed by commitie; as a token gesture they had Inafune join the initial design meeting and he did some concept sketches. I think that was the last time he participated in designing anything for Mega Man until 9. But Tatsuya Yoshikawa is still credited for actually making a final design.
>>
>>387229753
>Well I know memes and all but everyone has to be aware how much Mega Man was derived from fan submissions. But obviously you're the majority of the Robot Masters shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, Kitamura got the idea from Toku series that did the same thing. Inafune's job was to clean/tweak these fan submissions for 2. I'm not sure who did that for the rest of the games.

>I think that was the last time he participated in designing anything for Mega Man until 9.

I noticed that Inafune did less and less designing as he became more of a manager. You have people and even Wikipedia saying (wthout source) that Inafune designed Beck or Frank West. The logic being: Inafune is an artist, therefore if he's a producer on a game he designed everything.
>>
>>387229667
Well Inafune CLEARLY marketed that he was designing Beck when he did his kickstarter videos. And the sketches look like his work.

There's a real chance that could completely be for show. But that misinformation would be his doing.

The only credit for character designs in the credits of MN9 is KIMOKIMO but that isn't broken down to specific characters.
>>
>>387230074
>Inafune's job was to clean/tweak these fan submissions for 2.
Wait what? I thought the submission contests started with 3 and the first two games were only designed inhouse. I can't find any record at a glance of a Robot Master Submission contest for Mega Man 2.
>>
File: inafune on kitamura.jpg (555KB, 784x1106px) Image search: [Google]
inafune on kitamura.jpg
555KB, 784x1106px
>>387231168

From untold history of Japanese game devs. Vol 1. Complete Works also mentions they had 8,370 fan submissions.

>>387230783

The only design that I can find for MN9 by Inafune is Trinity, which is a recycled Call design. One of the MN9 kickstarter updates goes through the design of Beck, and Inafune only offered the standard producer inputs and approval. It was all other people doing the actual designs. Let me try to find it.
>>
>>387227834
>Hayto Kaji
>X

That's interesting. The way Inafune tells the story, he designed Zero to be X, realised it was radically different and wouldn't get approved, designed X and presented them both, with Zero being a sidekick of sorts. Or at least, that's how I remember the story being told.
>>
>>387231483

That's mostly true.

>"I didn't get to completely design a Mega Man [protagonist] from scratch until Zero (Mega Man X, SNES). Back when the SNES was coming out, I was asked to give Mega Man a redesign, so I created this character. But I realized that this design wouldn't be accepted as Mega Man, so I had another designer create the new Mega Man, and I worked on Zero to release him as the 'other main character' that would steal all the good scenes!"

The other designer is Kaji, who was kind of Inafune's protoge.
>>
>>387231741
Well, it's good to know I was at least close. Keep up the work, I'm interested in seeing what else you dig up.
>>
>>387232246

I'm just pirating books, and reading internet articles. If you have any places to get some, that'd be great. I want to pirate the Boss Fight book on MM3 next.

Related to this, I've been trying to get as much info as I can on Akira Kitamura. I ended up finding his blog, but it's very light on details. He blogs about his life, and game design from an abstract standpoint. He does have a list of game's he's worked on, but he leaves out many of the minor games (only noes he was main director for). That list is useful since it confirms a lot of details about his biography, but also raises some questions. he lists having worked on the Gameboy, and I'm not sure which title that refers to. There's even the ability to leave comments, but I'm terrified of being the one to ask him something. What if I offend him or scare him off? He's supposedly super private.

http://aknote.hatenablog.com/
>>
>>387232246

I've also found this interview with MM1-2 programmer HMD.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/rockmanunity/archives/8436419.html
>>
>>387232246

My sources are:

1. Wikipedia, both JP and ENG.
2. Shmuplations
3. GSLA, JP interview dev archive.
4. Game Developer Research Institute
5. Pirated books
6. Pirated art books

That's about it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.