[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Ways to improve/add to the standard turn based RPG battle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 30

File: Dragon_quest_viii_battle.jpg (28KB, 400x283px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_quest_viii_battle.jpg
28KB, 400x283px
ITT: Ways to improve/add to the standard turn based RPG battle system

And I'm talking the standard, no frills battle system (like Dragon Quest, EarthBound, etc.)

I liked pic related and its tension system, shit was fun as fuck to go straight DBZ on bosses
>>
Remove random encounters
Add turbo button
>>
I never figured out the most effective way to utilize the Tension system. It's been a while, but you lost all tension if you're hit, right?
>>
File: edeaplush3.jpg (69KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
edeaplush3.jpg
69KB, 768x1024px
Bravely Default making the actual turns into currency ala HP and MP was fucking inspired.
>>
i liked bravely default's brave/default system.
>>
Can someone tell me how the system in dqxi works it seems so weird since there is no way to activate in the zone manually
>>
etrian odyssey, with lots of options for character building and resource management/combos
just make it more involved than spamming the basic attack actions with a decent difficulty level, that's all turn based really needs
>>
>>387160619
I despise Tension and think it fucked the series up incredibly hard. DQIX's bonus bosses all spamming buff+tension removal and bosses going from a balls to the wall fight to a fucking joke just by using it properly is living proof of it.
>>
>>387161443
>Can someone tell me how the system in dqxi works it seems so weird since there is no way to activate in the zone manually
On 3ds it is the same as past DQs: you give all the orders before the turn starts and then the turn starts and the speed stat decides which go first.
On ps4 it is like FFX's battle system: the speed stat orders the turns and then each character gets its own turn and acts immediately, so you give orders as the turns come.
Imo I prefer the traditional battle system because you have to predict how things might go, like ordering heals because you know that you will get hit and your healer has a speed stat lower than the boss. Things like that made the battles more challenging and fun, with a heavt prediction element involved. I'll probably still get both versions.
>>
No random encounter
Battle on map

That's it for me
>>
No random encounters, but then how do you get the thrill of hunting that rare enemy? Or getting snuck up on by a Golem you really don't want to face?

My issue with all "enemies on the map" systems is that it makes any enemies you don't want to fight too simple to avoid. You might as will just take out encounters altogether and only have the player fight when he wants to level up. It removes a big part of the danger of adventuring
>>
>>387161201
You lose tension after performing an action aside from increasing your tension further, you can also lose it due to enemy abilities.
>>
>>387160619
Make a system where the cast time of spells mostly determines the turn order instead of just player speed. Make all the selected attacks show on the UI, then add a real time element so the slower you pick your moves, the slower they execute. That way you can quick pick moves to try to preempt enemies, or you can slow play and react to what they're going to do but at the cost of possibly going after them.
>>
>>387162127
I meant the in the zone system
>>
>>387162749
You should play Final Fantasy 10-2. It has all that plus you need to time your abilities/animation speed to ramp up your combo ticker for the extra damage.
>>
You want to improve something that's always incredibly boring instead of a real time system.
>>
I actually want them to do away with enemies showing up on the map. It's god damn annoying when you never know if you're above or below the level curve so you just have to pray you didn't screw yourself over.
>>
File: persona three legs.png (780KB, 647x1619px) Image search: [Google]
persona three legs.png
780KB, 647x1619px
>>387160619
You only control one character, the rest are controlled by CPU
>>
>>387162494
Then make it not that easy to avoid enemies genius
Faster move speed than the player, blocking narrow paths, hiding in the environment...lots of options
>>
>>387163472
DQ already has that.
>>
Fast battle transition, just load up the battle on the overworld.
Option to turn off special animation
Button that initiates 2x speed during battles for battles
Run/sprint button for overworld (i can't believe its 2017 and JRPGs with big maps still leave out a run/sprint button)
Fast travel via save points
Item that teleports you back to nearest town.
On-screen encounters
Ability to link battle encounters if enemies are close to you before battle initiates (Holy shit that was so useful in Tales of Vesperia and it never makes a comeback in later games either)
>>
>>387160619
Is his default name really Eight?
>>
Fast Forward buttons.
>>
Allow animations to overlap
Add a turbo button and auto-battle command for weak shits
The controller has a fuckload of buttons. Use them. I shouldn't have to scroll through menus for every goddamn thing.

Persona 5 knew what it was doing.
>>
group or team attacks
>>
>>387165186
P5 didn't have overlapping animations though. And wining a battle was an unskippable 10 second animation
>>
File: latest.jpg (110KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
110KB, 1000x600px
A battle system like pic related with a few tweaks. Things get much faster, and more options open up in the middle of battle as you progress so that you're constantly paying attention and actively doing something when attack or being attacked.
>>
>>387165439
He was talking about the controls
>>
>>387165439
True. One thing that the Neptunia games does very well is that you get in and out of battles instantly. A mediocre game becomes much more palatable when it's paced well.
>>
File: 1473983506842.jpg (172KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
1473983506842.jpg
172KB, 480x384px
I think Dragon Quest VIII already did about as much as turn based games can do. The only real additions you can make would be variations of the same thing. Like team attacks in Chrono Trigger/Suikoden or percentage attacks like in Chrono Cross. But the end result is still the same, damage over time. Compare this to ATB where you actually get penalized by not attacking fast enough.
>>
>>387165881
Dragon quest xi adds team attacks
>>
File: 1502626037722.png (135KB, 941x724px) Image search: [Google]
1502626037722.png
135KB, 941x724px
Status effects work on bosses unless it generally resists like some enemies may do so.
Standard Enemies and bosses can abuse the systems that the party can use, like more turns for weaknesses hit, abilities, buffs, party composition with "classes" and rows/those effects, those shit.
Try and implement rows/positioning or go semi strategy RPG. If latter option, try and reward using enviroment of the dungeon to advantage in battle (traps, pincer attacks at chokepoints, places which benefit certain classes/attacks)
Cut down on animations so battles gets faster, at least load up the battle backgrounds faster or try to make it appear in the field depending on how overworlds and dungeons appear for each game.
>>387165186
Isn't turbo/auto in most atlus games though? I agree though.
>>
File: 1501794342050.jpg (218KB, 903x1278px) Image search: [Google]
1501794342050.jpg
218KB, 903x1278px
>>387166290

Everything I hear about the game just makes me want to play it...
>>
>>387160619
Add a grid based system.

Both you and your enemies act on a 2x3 grid. You can move around and take actions, and your range is based on which row of tiles you're on. Enemies can dodge your attacks. Some enemies have tells for which tile they're about to move to. If you target the tile they're about to move to, you can attack them as they attempt to dodge, dealing critical damage.
>>
>>387166486
A game way ahead of it time called Time Stalkers for the Dreamcast did that. It also had monster collecting, let you equip a total of 10 rings, let you buy more than what you can afford and obtain a debt that gotta be pay off and ton of other minor things that it did right. Sadly the game wasn't well known and even disliked by people who wasn't aware of what type of game it was so it is a dead series.
>>
These things can never have very much tactical depth because they lack character movement, or when they do have the place of movement is too small and open to require much though process.

The challenge has always come from a type of endurance test. You do dozens of simple battles and it slowly chips away at your health and resources (assuming it's one of those games that makes healing scarce). So since it's an endurance test you'd improve it by making there be more resources to manage and by making the path between one save point and another longer and more arduous.
>>
I played DQ8 for like an hour and got sick of it. It's too reliant on spamming items. I don't like that.Trash shouldn't kill you without medicine herbs.
>>
File: ragn_0.jpg (11KB, 248x168px) Image search: [Google]
ragn_0.jpg
11KB, 248x168px
>>387160619
Add enough variety to your options so that your not always just hitting attack cause you have limited resources that are easily regained, like MP in Dragon Quest VIII, at least until you get to late game and you have tons of MP to pull from and items that restore it all, early game is literally just attack until you get to a boss and then you can waste MP, Golden Sun manages this a lot better by having MP refresh a little as you walk, having Dijinn that can act as spells when you don't have MP, summons that act as nukes at the expense of draining your stats leaving you vunerable, and basic attacks that can actually leave an area of effect if you have a weapon equipped that has a special ability.
>>
>>387166856
>a ring for each finger

holy shit i need to play this game now
>>
>>387160619
Better skill systems that implement a lot of damage+effect abilities so that you're not shit on for trying something out when it doesn't work, nonstandard buffs/debuffs like an attack that deals heavy damage to an enemy and also raises the user's Strength by X for a few turns, enemies that aren't autoattack bots and have movesets that can challenge a party and force them to adapt.

Basically steal from SaGa a lot.
>>
Complaining about random encounters is equivalent to saying "this game is shit because it expects me to play it".
>>
What's the best DQ game? I need something to dump time into.
>>
>>387167270
You got a lot more control over it once you got your first Tendril of Tension, and when you eventually get two, so you can keep up tension buffs when you needed them and get to full tension in two turns by focusing on a specific character. Before then it's harder to manage, both because at lower levels the highest you can get your tension at is 50, and because it takes longer to build, you have a higher chance of getting hit, especially if you don't have your full party of 4 yet, enemies will be more likely to focus on you.
>>
>>387166856
It had the unusual feature of resetting your level to 1 every time you entered a dungeon. It worked, as the game was a dungeon crawler rather than rpg, but boy were most players pissed about that.
>>
>>387167412
Shitty speedbump random encounters that amount to nothing but a small drain on resources, if even that, while I mash A to attack them and get nothing else done are shit. Midgame Wizardry-style random encounters that will ruin my ass if I don't methodically take them out are fine.
>>
>>387166972
It's not so much variety but meaningful variety. You can have dozens of different attacks but if one is better than the other: more efficient use of mp, more damage, or more reliable the others might as well not exist.

Games generally get around this by having enemies that are more or less resistant to certain types of attacks. You might have an enemy with high resistance to most direct attacks but its vunerable to damage over times like in Darkest dungeon. Or there is an elemental weakness/weapon triangle

Ultimatly the goal is always to do as much damage as possible using as few resources as possible. Damage/Mp cost is a standard formula for measuring the viability of a spell
>>
File: 1447477631303.jpg (187KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447477631303.jpg
187KB, 1920x1080px
>>387166972

You can get items that restore MP and HP as you walk in DQ as well. Plus, in DQ games, you're suppose to use items and skills, not just mash attack all day.

>>387167513

They're all good. But V or VIII usually gets named as the best games in the series. If you want to waste a lot of time, play VIII.
>>
>>387167583
Even the hardest games in the world have popcorn enemies. They exist as a cooldown or build up to the actually tough stuff.
>>
>>387166972
New golden sun fucking when?
>>
>>387167583
>Shitty speedbump random encounters that amount to nothing but a small drain on resources, if even that, while I mash A to attack them and get nothing else done are shit.

Exactly, the random encounters are only shit because the gameplay is shit. People complain about random encounters when they should be complaining about how 99% of RPGs with random encounters have terrible gameplay.
>>
I haven't played DQ8. What did it do with it's battle system that was unique?
>>
>>387167651
Most of the attacks do about the same amount in Golden Sun, at least if you don't count elemental weakness, single target attacks do the most but if you have a lot of enemies you get plenty of AoE options too, not counting summons, you'd have to set them before each battle if you wanted to use them every time, it's a lot easier to just use the dijinn normally in battle and just use your summons when they're availble.
>>
>>387167714
The problem is that any such benefit is overshadowed by them being an annoying waste of time. They could be substituted with cutscenes or even loading screens and it would be an objective improvement over mashing "attack". Gameplay that isn't interesting is gameplay that doesn't need to be there.
>>
>>387167848
Nothing.
>>
>>387168009
In Pokemon you can one shot everything and it's still fun.
>>
>>387167848

Tension and full 3D animations.
>>
>>387166947
You just plain suck or are retarded only time I use items is for bosses, tough fights, and to conserve mp.
>>
File: 1501872663523.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501872663523.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>387160619
>naming yourself eight
>>
>>387167714
That doesn't detract from my point. A game like FF6 has joke random encounters that are consistently easy as shit and can be steamrolled with no thought, whereas in something like Wizardry 6, the vast majority of encounters in the mountains, mines, pyramid, and swamp will destroy you if you aren't bothering to tailor your strategy. Someone who isn't blinding/nauseating the dwarves and hill giants in the mountains or AoEing the swarms of jellyfish/unga bunga women is going to have a nightmare of a time.
>>
>>387167697
it's really slow going in DQ though, you can be 30-40 hours into the game if you don't set up everything just right and if you fuck up you'll be running around mashing attack because you don't have the right skills you need, you don't have the items you need, I played DQVIII tons so I know all this and now that there's a heavy priotity in trying to get far in the game as fast as you can early on so that you level quickly and get access to all this so battles become a drag, the first time going though DQVIII could be extremely tedious cause I wasn't well equipped, and it's not well equipped in a 'your easily going to get killed' kind of way, your still high level from grinding, but because your allocation isn't ideal battles take forever without keeping AoE managment in mind.
>>
>>387167726
Quite often the gameplay system itself isn't shit, as it works very well on bosses and other challenging enemies. It only falls apart on pointless trash enemies where it doesn't matter what you do, you're going to win anyway.
Bad analogy incoming. Chess works just fine. But if you had to grind through ten matches where the opponent only has the king and no other pieces, but you'd still have to go through the motions to checkmate him every time, before being allowed to have a real match it would get old real fast.
>>
>>387168264
*so battles don't become a drag
>>
>>387168137
Sorry, I'm talking about people who aren't autistic or young enough to still be playing Pokemon. Normal people get annoyed when they have to spend a minute mashing the A button with zero through or decision involved.
>>
>>387162494
>It removes a big part of the danger of adventuring
You completely counter argued your whole post with this one sentence
>>
>>387168191
Speed running and keeping track of your runs I guess?
>>
>>387166947
you're complaining that.......you have to use items?

???????????????

just fucking use items you two year old
>>
File: 5420f3dc1e95da62fd1e10a2f829ed54.jpg (340KB, 744x1052px) Image search: [Google]
5420f3dc1e95da62fd1e10a2f829ed54.jpg
340KB, 744x1052px
>>387168009

>replacing combat with cutscenes would be an improvement
Final Fantasy proves otherwise.

And once again, there's nothing preventing you from using actual skills. What a lot of people don't seem to realize about Dragon Quest is it is about economizing effort, not just doing damage. The 'fun' is in finding the optimal way to get through battles faster and with better synergy. Yes, you can win a random battle by just mashing attack with single target weapons. But it would be much more efficient (and faster) to use group and all field weapons/skills. It may take you four turns to defeat a group of enemies just mashing attack. But only two turns to finish off the same enemies using boomerangs, whips, thin air and woosh.

So if you're getting bored just spamming attack, then do something else. Its not the games fault that you're ignoring all the options it gives you and wasting turns. Of course you're gonna get bored when you limit yourself.
>>
>>387165546
I still prefer the combat system from the first game, but that might be because the characters in 2 just had much less interesting and creative movesets. Just needed to be more difficult and make status effects actually fucking useful.
>>
>>387166947
Just level up properly you dingus, if you run straight into the cave at level 1 as soon as the story let's you no shit your going to get your ass handed to you.
>>
>>387168264

You don't have to grind at all in DQVIII. You just really suck at the game. You can have slime killing skills 5 hours into the game. But you don't even need to grind of slimes at all. All you need to do is focus on maxing one weapon and one passive per character. You can beat the game with any combination. Even all fisticuffs.
>>
>>387167952
Once you become familiar with the game's systems, how scarce each resource is, and the most efficient use for them you sort of develop a system of thought that auto-mates the process.

This is generally why such games need heavy RNG because it breaks you out of your normal routine sometimes. Something unexpected or unusual happens and you need to think on the fly about how to change up your routine.

No RNG means that once you figure out the most efficient thing for the encounter you can just repeat that every time the encounter happens.
>>
Anyone have DQVIII for 3DS? I'm playing the JP version but don't know where camera control settings are, want to fix the inverted controls, where are they?
>>
File: Inhale.jpg (116KB, 587x645px) Image search: [Google]
Inhale.jpg
116KB, 587x645px
Crazy chink spends 200 hours at the start of the game to grind up to level 40 on DQ11 to see what happens when you kill the dragon from cell escape. Jesus fuck.
https://youtu.be/mvVVLyf7BCg
>>
>>387166947
>>387168264

>wah Dragon Quest sucks because random mobs make you use items and its hard!
>wah Dragon Quest sucks because all you need to do is spam attack and its easy!
I'm getting some mixed signals here...
>>
>>387168540
>>replacing combat with cutscenes would be an improvement
>Final Fantasy proves otherwise.

I didn't say it would be good, I said it would be less bad. And it's not like Final Fantasy even does what I said (it commits both sins of worthless encounters and too many cutscenes) so I'm not sure how you thought that was an argument.

>So if you're getting bored just spamming attack, then do something else. Its not the games fault that you're ignoring all the options it gives you and wasting turns. Of course you're gonna get bored when you limit yourself.

If Nintendo released a Mario level that was a flat line, maybe with like, a single block in it, no one would defend it by saying "just use your imagination, do some triple jumps". How you can find "encounters should always make you think, at least a little bit" to be a controversial statement is beyond me.
>>
More anime girls.
>>
>>387166947
Wow we have a retard here
>>
>No mention to the Mario & Luigi series
ftfy
>>
>>387166290
IX had it first.
>>
>>387168930

>How you can find "encounters should always make you think, at least a little bit" to be a controversial statement is beyond me.
It helps if you read my entire post. Where I pointed out that random battles do make you think. That is, if you want to actually play them efficiently. You're literally saying "I want to play smarter, but won't do it unless I'm forced to."
>>
Anyone one else think it's sort of silly how you just stand there bobbing up and down in every turn-based RPG?
>>
>>387169058
I personally feel like only the first one had a good balance of action and RPG elements. When you get to 3 and beyond every attack from you or the enemy becomes a fucking minigame onto itself and it's just too repetitive.
>>
>>387169058
>looks up with both eyes
>attacks with only one arm up
why does this gif trigger me so much?
>>
>>387168264
This is why I prefer the remake version, since it has reset skills AR code.
>inb4 hurr cheaters
>>
>>387168748
Well I know now, that's the point, I didn't realize how the game expected you to play until I was halfway through and spending tons of time on random battles because Twin Dragon Lash was my only AoE attack, after I realized ability point allocation was extremely important because of the limited number points you got and required good planning to have a game go well, I understood it a lot better, and I've played through the game 2 or 3 times since then and it went a lot smoother, you just have to know what your doing
>>387168843
Early game yeah, mid-game if you don't know what your doing not having the right weapons and skills will just make battles take forever, the idea is to get through the early game quickly so that you don't spend a ton of time on the boring type fights and you have a fun mid-game.
>>
>>387169342
You have autism
>>
>>387169236
People do move when they are idle, it's just exaggerated in RPGs because if they didn't do that you would be staring at models which basically are static for 80% of the time.

Art exaggerates things.
>>
>>387169058
I am now suddenly aware of an interesting similarity between M&S and Undertale in that they both involve dodging during turn based RPG fight, and in both cases it serves the narration really well.
Really, the way I remember both games fondly are very similar due to this. I'm surprised I never noticed this before.
>>
>>387169236
I liked how Skies of Arcadia had your other party members and monsters doing their own attacks in the background. It didn't affect anything, but it felt nice that they're not just standing there.
>>
File: IMG_20170815_041350.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170815_041350.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>387168750
Menu>misc(right column, second from bottom>setting(fifth option)
>>
>>387169467

You're an idiot.
>>
File: Nep Victory 2.jpg (865KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Nep Victory 2.jpg
865KB, 1920x1080px
I think one really good thing about Nep VII (have not played other Neps) is that you can skip most of the animations in battle, so for grinding you dont have to see same animation thousand times and just blast through cannon fodder.
EXE drive is nice thing as well, so not all skills are bound how much mana you have.
>>
>>387166856
>monster collecting
Hold the fuck up. How many monsters can you collect in that game?
>>
File: 1179388325.jpg (1MB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1179388325.jpg
1MB, 1500x2000px
>>387170194
i'm not seeing it, is it not in the JP version? Camera turns right when I hit left, it's confusing as fuck.
>>
>>387170447
that's how you play though
>>
>>387160949
fpbp

I fucking hate "random" encounters. They dont' add anything to the game, they just interrupt my questing with an epileptic fit that requires me to waste 3 minutes in an unskippable low level encounter designed to make you want to rent the game fifteen times. It's outdated and outmoded now.

By all means have spottable encounters and some random if you have to, but don't have them every four fucking steps on the world map that shit is ridiculous.

Length=/=Quality.
>>
>>387170976
Why are you playing the JP version, anyway?
>>
>>387171181
I wanted to play through with Japanese voices, I already played through with English voices a ton.
>>
>Make it about building your team before the battle just as much as the actual battle itself. Etrian Odyssey does this very well.

>Fluid animations. Despite all of the flaws with its battle system, P5 was still very fun and refreshing due to how nice everyone moved. It could use more of them, though.

>Have bosses be weak to statuses and debuffs. Bravely Default and Etrian Odyssey do this. EO especially makes it a priority: get your Gunner to bind an enemy's head and suddenly they can only use suboptimal parts of their moveset.

>Make it about scouting for information. Make the players learn about the boss and its skills. It has a bunch of sleep attacks? Make it almost unbeatable without a very reliable way to disable sleep.
>>
>>387170884
All of them, including at least two that don't show up as enemies at all. Bosses excluded. They're also the only way to have more than one party member in that game. I think you can have two in your active party (might be three, been a while).
But you need to play a minigame on the Visual Memory memory card to raise their stats.
>>
>>387160619
Bravely Default
>>
>>387171282
>Make it about building your team before the battle just as much as the actual battle itself. Etrian Odyssey does this very well.

This is one of my favorite things RPGs can do. It's part of why I liked Final Fantasy XI so much. Unfortunately it seems not everyone is into it.
>>
>>387171267
Did you not have your 3DS? There's already a patch for that, along with uncensoring models.
>>
Thoughts on Yokai watch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbRwposS9o
>>
>>387171442
hack*
>>
File: 1446492576958.jpg (33KB, 496x414px) Image search: [Google]
1446492576958.jpg
33KB, 496x414px
>>387168824
>watch to see what happens
>it's all in japanese and I can't fucking tell or get anything out of seeing the alternate cutscene

I should have expected that.
>>
>>387171442
Oh yeah I heard about that, I didn't know if they had finished and released it yet or not, I'll check it out.
>>
>>387160949
>Remove random encounters
Many modern JRPGs already don't have them anymore.
Even the DQ 7 remake got rid of it (eventhough enemies spawning on top of you does happen and it's aggravatingly stupid).

No clue what the tension system is, but I like the Limit thing FF 7 had.
>>
>>387166486
>>387166420
Always been fond of ideas like these. Either grid based or free movement, having positioning and weapon/spell/ability ranges would open up the gameplay a lot.
>>
>>387160949
This. The tales series and persona are one of the few that I can think of that did it right with you being able to choose encounters by running into field enemies
>>
>>387166972
>>387167651
SaGa games are usually good about this sort of thing.
>>
>>387162749
>Make all the selected attacks show on the UI, then add a real time element so the slower you pick your moves, the slower they execute.
I've never heard a more horrible idea.
Except for "make it not turn-based".
>>
>>387161301
>>387161325
>>387171354
/thread
>>
>>387160949
I've always enjoyed mixes of both. Etrian Odyssey and other crawlers have random encounters that can be decreased with items and are actually difficult, but then have super enemies you have to fight through on your own.
>>
File: file.png (135KB, 760x659px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
135KB, 760x659px
>>387171550
looks like it's still at 95%, if I get the V1 and the V2 comes out later will it work with the same save file?
>>
>>387170508
You can skip animations in Re;Birth games. But animation skip/fast forward is pretty much an industry standard at this point. Gust does it. Falcom does it. It's nothing impressive. But, of fucking course, SE, Atlus and other "best JRPG makers" don't do it.
>>
>>387162749
This is pretty much what Grandia does. Timing an interrupt-capable skill to land when an enemy is charging up a big attack is pretty important there.
>>
>>387169467
oh I quoted the wrong guy, meant >>387168684 not >>387168748
>>
>>387169851
The Last Remnant did that too. Its pretty great.
>>
>>387170508
It's not just for VII, all the main games let you do this. The thing only VII allows though, is skipping the victory screen, where you see exp received/battle spoils. You can also skip all characters level up animation with a single click.
>>
>>387171829
EO doesn't really have "random" encounters, there's a danger meter so you always know when you're about to enter a battle.
>>
>>387171829
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB_PVPyn6n8
>>
>>387166947
>items other than tension seeds
>mattering
You can steamroll the game by abusing the tension system. The only item that matter is that resurrection herb before you're able to learn the spell.
>>
>>387171829
I wish not wanting to battle in EO was easier and not detrimental, getting warding bells takes a fuckton of time and in EO3 running away from enemies lowered your gauges.
>>
>>387171282
>Make the players learn about the boss and its skills.

God, this. Lots of rpgs throw strategy out the windows a lot of times when it comes to figuring out how bosses fight since you can't account for every eventuality and could fuck yourself in the ass going in with the wrong set-up. Some games alleviate this by letting you scan enemies, but its still less than preferable.
>>
>>387171341
Oh fuck yes nigger. I'll make that another monster collector to add to my list.
>But you need to play a minigame on the Visual Memory memory card to raise their stats
Can I just go the SMT-route instead, then? AKA constantly switching out my monsters for newer ones once they start underperforming in battle?

>Make it about building your team before the battle just as much as the actual battle itself
And this is one of the reasons why I love monster collecting games
>>
>>387166486
you ever heard of radiant historia?
>>
>>387172907
Second part was for
>>387171282
>>
>>387172241
That's kinda splitting hairs. The meter can sometimes sit at blue for several minutes, and other times jump from blue to red in no time at all. And you can't avoid the battles. Its really just an indicator. The battles are still random for the most part.
>>
>>387171853
V4 is already finished. That's outdated. Take a look on 3dsiso
>>
>>387168505
retard, its because its dragon quest eight
>>
>>387165062
His default name is Hero but anyone who doesn't name him Guv is a cunt
>>
File: 1433985685142.gif (277KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1433985685142.gif
277KB, 500x382px
>>387160949
Despite the absurd encounter rate in SMT1, I loved how fast and the way the autobattle function plays out.
>>
>>387162494
a kinda shit game cthulhu saves the world did this sorta

you fight a limited amount of encounters per map, and the time between them goes up a bit as you keep fighting, but then after a set number, all encounters just stop, unless you actively trigger battles
>>
What more RPGs need to do is put less emphasis on fighting lots of battles, and more emphasis on making the battles you do fight feel meaningful.
>>
>>387171875
Etrian Odyssey has fast forward.
>>
>>387167412
I think a good way of solving this would be like in earthbound, if you are way stronger than the enemy you instantly win and get exp without the fight happening.
Maybe make it so after killing the same enemy 20 times and proving youre good enough, they just get skipped
>>
File: Vageena_with_Mug8.jpg (18KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
Vageena_with_Mug8.jpg
18KB, 450x338px
Question: How long did it take for you to realize that Tension in VIII affected the strength of spells as well?
>>
>>387172907
You can just swap out monsters for newer, shinier ones, yes. You might not need to, as monsters can level without the stupid minigame, they will just have lower base stats which means they won't be able to equip as many skills. Also I checked and there's apparently 71 kinds of normal monsters to capture, two uniques from a quest, and five rares with abysmal capture rates. Have fun!
>>
>>387173010
That's because the game turn off encounter or reduce it severely during puzzles or during a situation where it would feel very unfair to have a random encounter, like when you are trying to dart through a million FOE
>>
>>387160619
Make it real time. There, fixed the problem. Modern gamers no longer desire turn based RPGs
>>
>>387173758
The issue is that prevents grinding, which is annoying if you're trying to go for 100% completion.

I kinda liked how Ar Tonelico handled it. Each area had a limited number of encounters, so you could freely explore after beating them or use a craftable item to remove encounters from an area. Alternatively, if you wanted to grind, you could walk out of the area and go back right in or use an item to restore the encounters.
>>
>>387168191
so what I called myself ; in some game, whatever name floats your boat
>>
>>387170508
animations could be skipped since the first one on ps3
>>
>>387173010
I'm pretty sure encounter rates actually depend on the group of tiles you're on. A2 might have more spawns then B4.
>>
>>387174196
>they will just have lower base stats which means they won't be able to equip as many skills
Eh, I'm sure I'll manage.
>78 monsters total
That's kinda low by my standards, but what the heck, for all I know they might be the 78 most well-designed and fun to use monsters in any monster collecting game.
>>
>>387167651
It's best if spells are balanced in Such a way that they exist on a scale of best damage/turn to best damage/mp, then the skill is in figuring out which one to use.

Also stop making the cost of healing trivial, too many games allow you to just heal for nothing so resource management is meaningless. I really like games with a soft time limit because of this but most people seem to hate that.
>>
>>387166451
she looks fat in that bunny suit
>>
File: 1492525925322.jpg (306KB, 1542x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1492525925322.jpg
306KB, 1542x2048px
>>387174331
>Modern gamers no longer desire turn based RPGs
Is this type of sentence a meme ? I keep seeing "Modern men no longer desire big breast" on this gay board
>>
File: 1465706455261.jpg (185KB, 691x688px) Image search: [Google]
1465706455261.jpg
185KB, 691x688px
>>387172792

This is actually something Dragon Quest does well. Because it gives you a few turns to learn a bosses tactics. Instead of the boss just going all out on you right on turn 1. Then usually when the boss is low on HP, it will start to do more damage. But by that time, you have learned his tricks.

Compare this to a typical Final Fantasy boss which is either stupid easy the whole time or casts a OHKO on you before your ATB bar fills up for the first time.
>>
>>387175579
Post more big tits.
>>
>>387174331

>Modern gamers no longer desire turn based RPGs
>Dragon Quest XI sells twice as many copies in Japan in one week than Final Fantasy XV did in 10 months
>Pokemon is still the best selling RPG
>Civilization is still one of the most played games on PC
>>
>>387175680
Doesn't SMT1 do this as well? At least I remember it throwing the first major boss at you in kind of a weird dream/hallucination scenario so that you could learn what attacks it'd use and what it was weak against.
>>
>>387176328

Maybe. SMT is the one series I haven't gotten into yet.
>>
File: 1420844755687.jpg (713KB, 1582x1864px) Image search: [Google]
1420844755687.jpg
713KB, 1582x1864px
>>387161301
Basically this. Bravely Default made it interesting enough but not stray too far from the norm into the 'annoying' realm.
>>
File: 1485824400615.png (2KB, 110x153px) Image search: [Google]
1485824400615.png
2KB, 110x153px
What RPG lets me date/marry one of my party members and go adventuring with her?
>>
Reduce drastically the number of random encounter, like one every 10 minutes. And make every fight challenging. (with a way to force random encounters if you're searching a specific enemy)
Every enemy should be unique and all the attacking/supporting spells have interesting effects ( easy to say, harder to do )
Make a non-spammy exp system. You could for example gain one level every time you beat a new monster.
Get rid of rng drops, make them 100% when you kill an enemy with a special method
>>
>>387176634
Fire Emblem
>>
>>387176634
DQV.
>>
File: Fesoj_-_Papilio_machaon_(by).jpg (499KB, 931x931px) Image search: [Google]
Fesoj_-_Papilio_machaon_(by).jpg
499KB, 931x931px
I think the problem with the "bare bones" turn-based system is the lack of positioning.
It's difficult to come up with cool or interesting effects/deep combinations when everything's so static.

If I made a game like that, I'd probably have some sort of environmental factor which would alter after each turn, like a day/night cycle, in order to keep the conditions of the field dynamic (but largely predictable, if you're paying attention).

I think that magic/skill systems which are just "deal x damage" or "inflict slow/stop/poison" are really boring, essentially auto-attacks with mandatory nested menus. I think it's interesting when games have techniques which are useful for setting up opportunities for other teammates, or outright skill combinations (good example: Radiant Historia). Again, this helps with keeping the game dynamic, giving the player (and enemies) control of field conditions.

In-battle resource management is another thing to consider. Golden Sun's djinn system is a good example. In GS, your class (and thus skills and stats) are determined by the djinni which are assigned to a character. You can use combinations of your djinni to cast powerful summons, but they need a few turns to recover. While they're on recovery, your class will change since they won't be active, and using a summon which deals big damage might prevent you from using another summon with a defensive effect because you won't have enough djinni on standby. All of this adds dynamism to the format.
>>
>>387176634
Rune factory 4. Baldurs gate 2 maybe but I didn't get that far since I stopped to play the first one.
>>
>>387168264
Nigga if you had to grind at all in DQ8 you just fucking suck.
You can even beat Dhoulmagus before you get Multiheal with a bit of alchemy abuse
>>
>>387160619
Few games have done it well. Stuff like Turn Press which let you shuffle the order of turns, timed attacks as well as combos and team attacks all help.
>>
>>387160619
I liked the idea of stocking up actions from Xenoblade 2 but the actual implementation of that system made it the optimal action pretty much 100% of the time.
>>
>>387176772
>>It's difficult to come up with cool or interesting effects/deep combinations when everything's so static.

I liked how Dragon Quest VIII did a sort of workaround for this by having different "versions" of negative statuses. Aside from the basic paralyze that prevents a character from attacking, you have stuff like enemies forcing your characters into dancing, becoming infatuated, or knocked clean off their feet. Its the same basic outcome, but it adds some spice to things.
>>
>>387176856
the point is that it's a game that can throw off first players on their first playthrough if they don't know what to expect, and becomes a lot better the more time you spend figuring out the ideal way to play
>>
>>387169058
inside story had such an incredible battle system.
the dual screen robot fights were on another fucking level
>>
>>387177158
Dragon Quest in general is like that. If anything 8 is a lot more new player friendly than past entries.
>>
File: IMG_4623.png (180KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4623.png
180KB, 500x405px
>>387174167
Never did until just now.
>>
File: FFLIII_Borgin_US_Artwork.jpg (24KB, 296x380px) Image search: [Google]
FFLIII_Borgin_US_Artwork.jpg
24KB, 296x380px
Get rid of or rework "mana" mechanics. There are things that are entertaining with RPG's, one of them is developing your characters stats and skills. The standard mana mechanics incentivize players to be stingy with their mana and dump it all on bosses. Various ways to regain resources during combat to utilize on skills would make it so combat would be based around players constantly utilizing their skills and much more options to the player since they won't default to the standard attack as easily.

One game that did this very well is Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song with its battle point regeneration after every round so you could either spend or save battle points on skills to use a certain technique you'd like. Another interesting one is Citizens of Earth in which you have one type of action that builds up resources to spend on actions that actually consume your battle point build up.

Nothing is sillier than customizing and developing your characters with getting various skills and new skills and it being utterly inefficient to actually want to use most if any of the skills during standard encounters.
>>
File: 1438312767596.jpg (11KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
1438312767596.jpg
11KB, 250x333px
Remove the basic attack who cost no MP so players don't spam this no risk move
>>
>>387177961
Wild Arms series already had the FP mechanic where instead of mana you basically just had a super meter, had to be above certain points to use your normal moves and your special moves used some of your meter (stuff like being guaranteed to move first, summons, hitting with two ARMS attacks in one turn, etc)
But then the problem was the characters who used ARMS were severely limited by ammo and that was an even bigger bitch to restore than MP can be in some games, either go back to town or use one of your pretty damn rare Bullet items.
>>
>>387178592

Or have 2 resources like MP and stamina so physical attackers would have to sit some battles out (wait/defend) or use items/gadgets. Of course both would gradually replenish when out of battle
>>
>>387178684
The problem with the ARMS as you said it is essentially mana except it is named bullets. It is still a resource you have to be stingy with through a dungeon and utilize it more against boss like foes. If there was a way to generate bullets in the course of a dungeon/battle outside of just finding them then it would promote using those skills more.
>>
>>387176714
I'm genuinely relieved that people like you aren't allowed to be game developers.
>>
>>387176714
>Once every ten minutes
Once every five at maximum.
>>
SMT does it well. Press turn is by far the best turn based system. You gain turns from exploiting weaknesses and lose turns from using ineffective moves. It promotes an actual strategy instead of just healing and attacking.
>>
>>387179674
Exploiting weaknesses is nothing new, it just further rewards you beyond a damage boost for effective attacks.
>>
>>387179830
This. SMT fags praise the Press turn system as if it's way better than it really is.
>>
>>387179674
>It promotes an actual strategy

Not really, get the right demons/spells and just spam the whole battle.
>>
File: 1450820586797.jpg (39KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1450820586797.jpg
39KB, 429x410px
>>387179674
>>387179830

severe deja vu right now
>>
>>387179674
The only thing Press Turn adds is more flexibility than just a straight damage boost.
>>
>>387180195
More flexibility is already something huge
>>
>>387181306
On paper, but in practice you'll still be using the extra turns to deal damage anyways.
>>
>>387181306
If you want more flexibility, take the Fusion Spell system from Persona 2 and polish it. That gives hell of a lot more flexibility than what Press Turn offers.
>>
>>387181602
Its a shame Combo-type attacks aren't more standard in rpgs.
>>
>>387181602
You know what, I'm so bummed that they removed that system from Purseowner, it was such a cool way to differentiate the Persona line of games from mainline SMT in a way that wasn't just highschool simulation. I also wish that they'd take a more mutation-based approach to getting new Personas. Instead of fusing them, you just use Fusion Spells until they can mutate into another Persona.
>>
>>387182162
>I also wish that they'd take a more mutation-based approach to getting new Personas. Instead of fusing them, you just use Fusion Spells until they can mutate into another Persona.

Has any other Megaten game done this?
>>
>>387183583
Closest thing I can think of is Evolution in Nocturne and IV, but they just evolve the demon around a certain level. Imagine having a kind of Mutation Meter or something that increases every time you use a Fusion Spell or something similar. And when that meter fills up you can have a choice of either learning a move only available through mutation, increasing your Persona's stats or making the Persona able to change form. When changing form, you'd be able to carry over some skills to the new Persona, because that's an element of customization that I really felt was missing from P2.
>>
>>387169851
Yeah, that was a great thing in Skies especially how they'd line up so their special attacks could hit multiple enemies.

I also liked the action point system (which kind of returned in Valkyria Chronicles) though items being free to use essentially made magic worthless and in the late game you essentially always had to spam certain specials to protect yourself from insta-kills.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.