[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would somebody spend money on some shitty romhack that doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: SONIC.png (413KB, 3148x1308px) Image search: [Google]
SONIC.png
413KB, 3148x1308px
Why would somebody spend money on some shitty romhack that doesn't fix the core problem with every 2D Sonic the Hedgehog game?

>inb4 the cool spot webm
It's called a camera that dynamically adjusts based on sonic's speed and direction.
>>
the camera orientation is fine, just scale it back.
>>
You realize right is worse right?

He is all the way back at the end of the camera so if he runs the other way the camera will jerk fast the other way, while the lect is constantly centered and won't jerk around
>>
>>387155512
>autism boy over here doesn't like fast moving cameras so everyone else has to suffer by running into a wall of spikes that they couldn't have possibly avoided
>>
>>387155224
>you can see more of the underground and the place you fucking came from than where you're going in a game about going fast
Why do people like this shit?
>>
>>387155224
>>387155750
>>387156876
Shut the fuck up and git gud you faggot, I beat these game when I was 9 I need no guide for that fuck off
>>
>>387157229
I beat them also through trial and error.
>>
>>387157331
Your reaction times being shit isn't my problem buddy
>>
>>387155750
Have you tried jumping?
>>
>>387157823
I did after I died when I ran into a wall of spikes :)
>>
>>387155224
Why not just use smaller sprites and take advantage of HD screen resolutions?

Like what Nintendo does?
>>
The games have widescreen ports now so this is literally not an issue.

Anyone still crying about running into obstacles being the games fault needs to stop playing it like a speedrunner. Sonic's a normal platformer and should be played like a normal platformer, not a game where you're supposed to hold right to win.
>>
>>387158458
BOTH PICS IN THE OP ARE IN WIDESCREEN YOU DENSE CUNT. IT'S A PROBLEM WITH THE FUCKING CAMERA. YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE WHERE YOU FUCKING CAME FROM
>>
>>387158694
The camera is too zoomed into Sonic.
>>
File: widescreen.png (96KB, 801x911px) Image search: [Google]
widescreen.png
96KB, 801x911px
>>387158458
Dang... So wide...
>>
>>387159126
>widescreen
>clearly shows a longscreen
Come on, son
>>
File: Sonic-2-Mobile-Screen-02.jpg (714KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-2-Mobile-Screen-02.jpg
714KB, 1280x720px
>>387158694
Sonic levels outside of the Green Hill zone clones tend to fling you back and forth. They're never straight roads.

You can't see why a camera focused on one direction wouldn't be a much bigger problem in a game with Sonic's level design, or why a dynamic camera at Sonics stop speed wouldn't be super disorienting?

And yes, the widescreen alleviates most of the issues with the field of view. Sonic 1 and 2 have so many bigger issues even in their ports, focus your complaints about the game on them instead of your slow reaction time.
>>
Taxman already fixed it.

If you still have trouble with the remasters of 1 and 2 or Sonic Mania, then you just have to git gud
>>
People get amazingly autistic about the fact that you can't hold right to automatically gain speed and beat the levels without penalty or thought in Sonic. Mega Man is "progress is a reward for careful thinking and reflexes", Mario is "progress is a reward for careful thinking and reflexes", but speed being a reward in Sonic dumbfounds people.

>but the marketing is go fast

Yeah because remember all the advertising for Super Mario showing him being smacked by enemies and falling into pits, rather than showing the gameplay in a positive light (e.g. jumping and moving forward)?
>>
File: 1426110752283.png (1MB, 1764x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1426110752283.png
1MB, 1764x1056px
>>387157229
>he can't see the difference between fixing a game and toning down the difficulty
>>
>>387155224
You're just bad.
>>
it's pretty simple. You just tie the camera drift to sonic's speed. When he's standing still it's centered, the faster he's going the more it drifts forward to show what's coming up, maxing out at around 2/3 of the screen so there's still a 1/3 of screen behind him.
sonic fans are massive fucking autist babies though and they'd rather play a flawed game than just admit that it'd be an objective improvement that wouldn't harm the platforming at all. see:
>>387157229
>>387157642
>>387157823
>>387158458
>>387159869
>>387160007
>>
>>387160406
I agree completely,a game called Ms.SplosionMan does it right.
>>
>>387160406
>look mom i quoted everybody in the thread
>>
>>387160624
>>387160007
Not an argument
>>
>>387160406
>It's simple just do X

Spoken like a true armchair dev that genuinely thinks the programmers have never executed and tested his amazing original idea
>>
>>387155224
This only works if "le only hold right to win" was true, which it isn't. Literally more than half of Sonic 1's levels and all levels in 2&3 require you to go left at some point.
>>
>>387160716
That's why there's a dynamic camera that adjusts based on the camera, fuckface. It was said in the OP
>>
>It's called a camera that dynamically adjusts based on sonic's speed and direction.

Code this functionality into a vanilla Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 ROM without inflating the ROM size, while still ensuring it plays in a Genesis without the machine crashing or burning, then get back to us
>>
>>387160936
See this, shit-for-brains. You really don't think they haven't thought of this?
>>387160954
>>
>>387160954
>without inflating the ROM size
Why? Is sonic mania 200KB?
>while ensuring it plays in a Genesis without the machine crashing or burning
Does sonic mania run on a Genisis?
>>
>>387161237
>sonic mania

Oh cool you moved the goalposts. And here we thought you were discussing the basic design problems of the original games, can't imagine what gave us that impression though
>>
>>387161431
>talking about moving the goalposts when you made a camera issue into "hurr can u make it run on a sega genesis"
>>
>>387161237
>he needs dynamic camera AND widescreen to be able to play sonic
Holy fuck. what a casual. It was somewhat reasonable to have such a camera on the 4:3 screen for the genesis games if it was able to be done, but you just outed yourself. All your opinions are null and void.
>>
>>387161237
>Genisis
>>
>>387161431
>And here we thought you were discussing the basic design problems of the original games, can't imagine what gave us that impression though
I thought I was too, but then you started bringing up hardware limitations that you know nothing about. A dynamic camera was possible on those 16 bit consoles, btw. See: Bubsy
>>
>>387161506
>hurrdurr the camera in original sonic sucks, the camera is the core problem with every 2D Sonic including all the genesis games, here's how you'd fix it
>how do you make that run on the original system
>m-muh mania
>>
>>387161604
>Bubsy is the same as Sonic

May as well have used Mario as a rebuttal
>>
>>387161431
He mentioned sonic mania in the OP, fuckface. Your arbitrary limitations don't matter either, kiddo. Dynamic camera was possible, but the nip retards are too lazy.
>>
>>387161798
>you will never be this obtuse
>>
>>387161808
>dynamic camera was possible, but the nip retards are too lazy.
Nigger, Sonic CD had dynamic camera, so they clearly couldn't do it on standalone genesis. If they were able to they'd had it on Sonic 2, since both games were made roughly at the same time. Quit spouting shit you have no clue about.
>>
What if you have to go to the left? The camera changing orientation every time you turn around would get old fast. Best to just keep the original but scale it back a bit.
>>
>>387161808
>Dynamic camera was possible, but the nip retards are too lazy.
no, implementing it like >>387160406 wants is just a retarded idea because sonic tends to change directions way too fast for the camera tilt to be actually useful.
if it was made fast enough, it would make the player feel dizzy and make the action actually harder to follow instead of easier.

sonic games are already more than adapted to going fast with their attack system, where being rolled literally turns your entire body into a lethal hitbox for enemies that you can keep up 90% of time, AND health system that allows you to recover from every situation but getting crushed/falling into the pit assuming you have more than one ring. if your reaction speed allows you to respond to getting hit fast enough to grab that one ring, you're set.

most of these camera ideas come from people who refuse to learn the very simple mechanics of sonic games and just want to go fast with minimal user input, all while not understanding that camera in 2d games is actually a surprisingly complex subject with lots of subtleties.
>>
>If a game requires me to die a few times to learn a level's layout and get better each time it's bad
>modern video game players

The only game you really have a point with this is CD because they went overboard with the bait and switch stuff. 2 and 3&K did it just fine. Having some degree of trial and error in a platforming sidescroller is not automatically a bad thing.
>>
>>387162319
Sonic CD was developed by the people who made Sonic 1
>>
>>387163160
desu nowadays the problems of dynamic camera systems are easily solveable by scripting, for example they could center the camera in areas with a lot of springs etc. Its unreasonable to expect that out of a fucking genesis game though
>>
>>387155224
You could please more than few people and allow the player to control the camera (zoom and positioning)
>>
Making the camera shift based on Sonic's speed would be disorienting. You constantly start, stop, turn around, and go different directions in Sonic games, and it takes very little time to reach top speed from a stand-still, so the camera would be whipping around constantly. It would work if Sonic levels were broader and scaled up, and Sonic himself took longer to accelerate so you could get that gradual increase in speed accompanied by a gradual shift in camera, but that just isn't how it is.

Here's my idea for solving the problem, what if we made it so that the best way to get speed, the means by which the player would be most likely to be unable to see what's coming up, would be if they were curled up into a ball? That way, if Sonic collided with an enemy, he'd plow right on through and destroy it. Pretty novel, huh? We'll also implement a health system where the player can ensure they're always able to survive one hit, and immediately upon taking that hit, they can get their safeguard back, in case they're unable to react to any upcoming spike traps. Just to be safe, we'll make sure bottomless pits are extremely sparse or otherwise highly telegraphed. The player would have to be a real dumbass to die now.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.