[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll tell what was FF8's "problem". Its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13

File: Ff8_logo.png (283KB, 650x529px) Image search: [Google]
Ff8_logo.png
283KB, 650x529px
I'll tell what was FF8's "problem".

Its problem was that it took for granted that its playerbase would be intelligent, and it was wrong on that, only about half was and still is based on the shitstorm this game has been causing since release.

The way both the story and gameplay system of FF8 work, are based on the principle that the player will be interested and intelligent enough to look around, experiment, put two and two together and think to understand the result.
Sadly, half of the player base isn't capable to do that, and why would they be considering every previous FF game had both story AND gameplay unroll itself with no need for the player to think.

I'm not saying FF8 is the epitome of "deep" and "intelligent", but it definitely was a step into the right direction.

Its 'failure' with half of the playerbase is the reason why Square went back to mouthfeeding storytelling, gameplay system that doesn't you to think, and even after that, litteral corridor and EVEN the game playing themselves.

Be aware of this, you don't like FF8, you're responsible for the downfall of the series.
>>
FF8 is my all time favorite. Currently using hax on PC to have some fun, but I just keep breaking the game.

>won't let me land in FH
>Balamb Garden is parked like 3 miles out from FH
>Can't choose who is in my party without the hack program
>Game will mix and match lines from different progressions of the story on the same screen

I should've never hacked it. But, DESU playing it on PC kind of sucks.

On the Steam version, the world loads weirdly when flying around on the ship, almost spherical like a globe as it renders distance, and the roads/locations all look 10x as shitty than on the PS1 release version while in the world map.

But, the pre-rendered backgrounds seem about the same, the text box being a bit different triggers me, and the music sounding weird puts me off too.
>>
>>387148595
Why not put your rant on bigger scale?

At first no one gave a fuck about stories in video games and simply played them for fun.
Then after the medium evolved a bit developers started to add stories to their games most obvious example of this being RPGs.
Stories in video games continued getting more and more important even at cost of gameplay especially in RPGs which people now only played for their stories.
Then in late '90s/early 2000's games like Final Fantasy VIII, Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid series come out. What is common to these games is that all of them had stories that they didn't forcefully spoonfed their stories down your throat.

This presented a problem: many "gamers" were dumbfucks who couldn't understand even the simplest story unless it was shoved down their throat. Video games could have had the chance to have a unique kind of storytelling, telling the story through letting gamers figure things out for themselves through gameplay element for example (which is not possible in books/movies,etc) but instead they cater to dumbfucks and storytelling in video games nowadays imitate bad action blockbuster movies. This is why video game storytelling is doomed and will never reach the level of storytelling that we can have in literature or cinema.

In other words: good job morons, you ruined what could made your favorite media unique.
>>
>>387149097
To add to this in an interview of Tobe Hooper (director of famous movies such as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre) in a magazine. He was bashing modern american movies for often having a part in the movie where they HAVE to explain everything that's going on with words, to explain it to the audience. He claims that it's better express things with the visual and sound, and let the audience understand it that way.
Then he said "unless that audiance plays video games all day, they should be able to understand".

It didn't even take me one second to understand what he meant by that. After talking with many, many, many people on forums and /v/, I've come to realize that probably the vast majority of people who have played and finished games like FF8, Metal gear Solid and Silent Hill series have no idea what is going on except for the basic stuff. Oh, and if you start to explain it to them they'll often reject it and say "nah this is just stupid fan theories". That reason is because games like the Silent Hill series have a different kind of storytelling, they do not tell everything through words, but rather through visuals, sounds, but also gameplay elements.

This is why video game storytelling is doomed and will never reach the level of storytelling that we can have in literature or cinema but instead caters to dumbfucks and storytelling in video games nowadays imitate bad action blockbuster movies.
>>
>the game is not bad, it's that everyone else is stupid

Why are FF8 fans so awful? I have been here for years and I have seen everyone rationalize this so many times it's sad at this point. But this is the worst explanation I have seen so far. Just admit you like it because it was your first FF title and you had no idea that it was a black sheep. Move on already. Out of all the FF fans, 8 fans continues to prove how insane they are.
>>
>>387148595

>everyone was raised in the same orphanage
>GF/Junction system
>Draw system
>terrible towns
>terrible stores
>terrible way of activating Limit Break
>terrible music (inb4 random anon links one good song in the OST or mentions Liberi Fatali to defend it)
>terrible characters
>art and level design were all over the place

Nah dude,the game is shit
>>
>>387148595

Oh I did "experiment", played this on three separate occasions. I can tell you the story is beyond retarded, the characters are boring as fuck save for Squall, and the gameplay is so broken it almost penalizes you for playing it like a proper RPG. I literally enjoyed Final Fantasy 2 than I did this game. There is a reason no RPG takes any sort of inspiration from it. And if you want to play a deep story to begin with then why on earth are you playing a JRPG?
>>
>>387148595

>The way both the story and gameplay system of FF8 work
>are based on the principle that the player will be interested and intelligent enough to look around, experiment, put two and two together and think to understand the result

You literally find magic lying around or play a damn card game to properly power yourself up. That's not smart or deep, what the fuck are you smoking?
>>
File: zzzqf2hz9lyy.jpg (134KB, 783x1200px) Image search: [Google]
zzzqf2hz9lyy.jpg
134KB, 783x1200px
>>387149332
I really don't understand what your autistic rant has to do with FF8 or the fate of the medium when there's a game released in 2017 that does subtle storytelling quite well and got a wide critical acclaim.
>>
>>387148595

Is this a copypasta to prove how nostalgia can turn you insane?
>>
File: 1341750123832.gif (15KB, 440x240px) Image search: [Google]
1341750123832.gif
15KB, 440x240px
FF8 is my favorite, and if you don't like it that's OK. I probably don't like something that you like.
>>
>>387150098
>terrible ost
>Inb4ing because you're so insecure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eU0tRBHnE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB30RVWeuP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvV7IUNra3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs
You're right about a lot of things but you're a dumb nigger if you think the music is bad.
>>
Wrong, wrong and wrong.

The problem is that junctioning is brokenly OP once you understand it and the second half of the game is shit.

t. FFVIII is my favorite FF
>>
File: I'm just saiyan.jpg (83KB, 634x461px) Image search: [Google]
I'm just saiyan.jpg
83KB, 634x461px
>>387149801
>the game is not bad, it's that everyone else is stupid
Please give me a detailed explanation on how this does not apply to FF2 fans. FF2 has ridiculously vocal defense force on (especially on /vr/) nowadays.

>Just admit you like it because it was your first FF title
And this one definitely does not apply to majority FF7 fans, am I rite?

>black sheep
Are you forgetting Mystic Quest's existence? Also what about FF2, FFx-2 (complete and utter shit apart from having the best version of the ATB system) or the FFXIII trilogy?

>Why are FF8 fans so awful?
There is no such thing as FF game with a good fanbase.
>>
>>387148595
>Bad main character
>Draw, Draw, Draw, Draw, Draw
>GF, GF, GF, GF

The was gorgeous looking though.
>>
>>387150921
>draw, draw, draw, draw
You rode the shortbus to school, right?
>>
FF8 needs a 'world' super boss, like FF7 had. Not something you need to be at the end-game dungeon for.

Something you could do on a whim just to test yourself.
>>
>>387148595
>I'll tell what was FF8's "problem".
FF8 has shit gameplay, a retarded plot and fujoshit pandering character designs.
>>
>>387150690

Generic: The OST.

All of these except for Man wih the Machine Gun feel like cutting room floor material for FF VII.
>>
Should I play FF7? Never played it before.
>>
>>387148595
The problem is ff8 fan boys can't stand the fact that people don't like their game. Learn to deal with it and move on.
>>
>>387151075

There's a reason it's the most beloved title in the series. It might end up not being your favorite in the series, but no one denies it's fantastic.
>>
>>387151138
see
>>387150683
>>
>>387151075
If you liked FF8 or FF9, it plays pretty much the same.

Learn to manage your Materia early, and you can be overpowered almost as easily as you can in FF8 early.
>>
File: laughing-puppies.jpg (31KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-puppies.jpg
31KB, 400x323px
>>387150921
>he drawed magic
>he fought by summoning GFs over and over again

You are aware that the refine abilities are a thing or that limit breaks are both faster and more efficient way to fight?
>>
>>387151073
I wouldn't exactly call it generic, they're nice melodies and the instruments used set the tone for the environments they're for.
>>
>>387151337
aside from drawing, my first playthrough was pretty much GF spam, 'cause I thought Boost was the coolest thing ever after my friend showed it to me.

Pretty sure I missed Leviathan, Alexander, Pandemonium, and probably at least a few more GF's my first playthrough. And, I might've only got one or two of them in the Final Dungeon, on the second chance they were nice enough to give you.
>>
Protip: Think FFVIII as unintentional parody of JRPGs and it becomes fun as fuck.
>>
>>387148595
>junction "customization" is essentially "added effect" materia from ff7 for equipment and just picking the best magic to junction to each stat to raise it the most - better farm those meltdowns
>magic is consumable, requires draw farming at worst and tedious crafting at best
>low HP limit breaks are either impractical or overpowered, there's no in-between
>shitty translation "lol whatever dude"
I might actually agree otherwise
>>
>>387148595
What?

The problem with this game is that you can break it in half if you actually use your brain, the system allows you to became so incredibly overpowered because the developers weren't ready for actually intelligent people.

Argue with me, prove me wrong, but in the end you will see I'm right.
>>
File: 1396359840402.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1396359840402.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>387151720
>main character suddenly falling for awful heroine for no reason at all, their relationships are a mockery of any good romance possible
>awful plot twists out of ass with AMNESIA and TIME TRAVEL, two of the worst plot devices imaginable
>cast of characters that is so bad they are basically a mockery of their own stereotypes
>ff4-tier big bad "she was merely controlled by real antagonist who came out of ass" twist
>president of the super-advanced civilization is an enormous annoying fuckup
You know, you may actually be right. Maybe we should hail this game as a postmodern masterpiece, you know, something that is way more meta than Drakengard 1/3 in terms of being an evil satire of jrpg cliches.
>>
>>387148595

I deem your attempt worth it and will defend FF VIII at your side OP if only to put an end to that Rinoa is Ultimecia theory.

Seriously guys, the game is almost 20 years old. That shit must stop. If you can´t understand FF VIII story just get out. NOW.

As for breaking the game you can do that only on your second playtrough or with a fucking guide because otherwise your level is high enough by the time you realize how to break it.
Plus at Ultimecia´s castles all enemies are level 100.

I won´t deny the "they all grew on an orphanage but GFs made them forget" is a fault though... but only because of the filler characters and ALL FF except for XV present that fault. Heck, most JRPGs have several filler characters.

Stop whining.
>>
>>387150683
Thats cool anon, keep on playing games that you like.
>>
>>387149801
My favorite is 7 followed by 4, but I agree with all the points the OP made. Most of the people that shit on 8 are dumbfucks who didn't get the story, had to have it explained to them, and then decided that the problem must be that the game was awful and not that they themselves were retarded.
>>
>>387152468
The orphanage twist isn't meant to be an important revelation though, the game doesn't even paint it as one. It's only there to show how what's going on is tied to fate and was supposed to happen. People focus on this scene way too damn much.
>>
>>387148595
FF8 is still my favourite game ever, but I still think a lot of the hidden stuff wasn't to make you think but to make you buy those guide magazines.
Back in the days hiding content to make you buy the official guide was a thing, much like DLC is now making you pay to access things that were obviously left out.
>>
>>387150921
>objectively played the game wrong
>blames the game
>>
>>387152169
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Here are two examples of applying this logic to FFVIII and pointing out two completely retarded things people say about FFVIII's gameplay:

Just because you can Draw 100 of every magic from every enemy you come across do doesn't mean you should as it's very boring and tedious especially if you couple this to fighting only by summoning GFs over and over again like many people for some reason tend to do on their first play-through. You chose to do this on your own so if you had a bad time it's your own goddamn fault.

On he other hand abusing the refine abilities after you figure out how they work doesn't mean you have to do it up to the degree you completely break the game.
>purposely break the game
>complain the game being broken and therefore being shit
Again game being broken is your own fault.

How should one play FFVIII then?
The simplest answer is to do some drawing and some refining but not anymore than you need.

Another good option is to just play through the game, learning the refine abilities as you go on and occasionally refining the useless ITEMS in your inventory (the ones you get as drops from your enemies) to magic. This way you NEVER have draw for magic or break the game too soon/easily.
>>
FF VIII still remains the most ambitious game Square has ever made and everyone should respect it for that

>character depth that was beyond anything at the time (for squall and seifer at least)
>taking the gameplay that square defined and, instead of leaving it alone, completely changing it making characters incredibly diverse and customisable and removing the concept of grinding and leveling.
>some of the greatest set pieces in gaming history

People rejected VIII because it changed too much, because it dared to be radical instead of a sequel to VII and due to this we got IX, one of the most boring and one note games Square ever released.
>>
>>387153250
>>387151337
>>387151006

There is no such a thing as "playing the game wrong"

The GF should be a special overpowered summon. And you should draw so you could junction it to for elemental damage.

FF8 is retarded.

I've played all of the FF games, and the VI remain as my favorite.

You only probably like it because it was your first RPG/FF game.
>>
>>387153496
And you probably only like VI because your daddy hit you.
>>
File: 2424246.jpg (74KB, 866x720px) Image search: [Google]
2424246.jpg
74KB, 866x720px
>Its problem was that it took for granted that its playerbase would be intelligent

Pretty much. I mean, to this date there's tons of people that still don't understand how the battle system works, so they just spam the summons.
>>
>>387151720
HOLY SHIT ANON

YOU ARE A GENIUS
>>
>>387151163
>no one denies it's fantastic
It's like you don't even know where you're posting, anon.
>>
>>387152847

Sure, but i think people only focus on it because admitedly 4 amnesic characters is just a tad too much.

I mean, the important thing about it is that Squall forgot. Irvine knew but didn´t say anything because no one seemed to talk about it. Seifer knew all along too but wasn´t part of your party so naturally he wouldn´t speak about it with Squall. Rinoa was an outsider so she wouldn´t know.

If there is a problem with the amnesia thing is just justifying the other 3 party members.

Still it´s true... it´s not even that important anyways specially since, as mentioned, all FF games have under developed characters.
>>
>>387153496
If I never equipped an Esper and ran around without gear naked punching people and claimed FF6 was shit as a result, would you agree that it was a valid criticism? After all, there's "no such thing as playing the game wrong."
>>
>>387154138
They all used GFs as much as each other though, so there's not really an issue with justifying it for all of them since they all had the same cause for it. Looking at how Irvine acts knowing what you know about him later fits his character to a tee, and ironically I forget if Seifer says he remembered about it but he should be using GFs as much as the rest so it's just as likely he forgot as well, though either way his role is to be an ass so he wouldn't bring it up.
>>
>>387154394
Espers required MP, so you'd not spam it.
There's no craft system, you can buy/find your equipment.

FF VIII is all over the place with a craft system and no equipment.
>>
>>387154394

Lightning Returns fan here, if you played VI that way, it would still be fun. If you claimed otherwise, I would snort and leave it at that. The esper system has always been an extra fun customizing aspect, not the sole source of the actual fun of the combat.

Now VIII though, the more correct you play it, the less you interact with it and that's terrible. That should never be the goal of a video game.
>>
>>387148595
>find the story retarded
>love the gameplay and magic system
>beaten it 5-6 times already
>once or twice normally, once without levelling, once without junctions, once without levelling OR junctions, once as a solo run

Though it always itched at the back of my head that that no-level runs were basically easy mode.

I think next time I decide to dust off FF8, I'll hack all my characters to level 100 at the beginning of the game and see how that goes. Limiting card playing of course.
>>
>>387154704

He does say somthing on one of the later fights on the lines of "i see you guys remember matron as well now" or something like that basically to shake the party resolve to take Edea down.

In any case it gives that vibe of "i knew all along, you all just forgot because you are weak trash".
>>
>>387153496
FFVI has many problems on it's own as well:

If you gain a single level before getting the espers with +2 stat gains and all party member you will permanently lose stat gains.
Too many overpowered moves are given to you way too early on. For example Edgar's AutoCrossbow is instant win button for the first quarter of the game.
Given that we are autistic fucks that has to level everyone to max level with perfect stats in FFVI you have to do it for 14 fucking characters.
Speaking of the 14 characters while having all those characters is kinda cool there really are too many of them especially when most of the later ones have nothing to do with the game's story and some of them like Umaro are worthless gameplaywise.
Also I do I even need to mention all the bugs like evade stat doing nothing or all the exploits like Setzer slot ability, Gau's Rages or the psycho Cyan bug all being able to kill any enemy in the game (first 2 can even kill the unkillable Guardian at Vector).

FFVI is my favorite (and my first FF game) but I'm more than aware of it's shortcomings as well. Also I'm willing to overlook everything I said above for the same reason I'm willing to overlook most of FFVIIIäs flaws: I had good time with both games even if they are flawed as fuck.
>>
>>387155340
I dunno, it could be like that, but that "as well now" in there makes it sound like he remembered later too. Either works.
>>
>>387149097
>blaming the terrible standard of storytelling in gaming on the players

If these writers had actual talent or were even proper writers they wouldn't be in video games
>>
My main problem was that it was simply too easy to get OP in this game. It's definitely possible in other entries, but it usually requires intimate knowledge of the game or grinding. Here you just have to know about core gameplay mechanics. Wasn't a fan of the setting and artstyle either but that's more subjective. As a card game though I guess it's nice.
>>
>>387149006
8 is my favorite as well.
On my very first play through I had 9999 gil eternally.
Odin would pop up on 50% of all encounters. And gilgamesh would excalipoor every once in a while too.
And it would crash to desktop every time I'd be going through the forest as laguna.
When I restarted my playthrough I was really confused about why Odin wasn't showing up
>>
>>387148595
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can abuse limits to break the game and stay well within safety range if you have healing spells junctioned to HP. Fuck off.
>>
File: IMG_1126.jpg (34KB, 350x398px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1126.jpg
34KB, 350x398px
>>387151720
It works down to fucking gunblade.
>>
File: 1439099711761.jpg (60KB, 499x436px) Image search: [Google]
1439099711761.jpg
60KB, 499x436px
>The junction system is broken and exploitable as fuck!!!!1!
While this is true I love how people complain about this when there are just as big exploits in other FFs:

FF1: Pick a team of 4 fighters and you can just run through the game slaughtering everything in your path
FF2: Nothing is keeping you from gaining ridiculously overpowered stats at the very start of the game. Hell getting couple of point in your evade stat alone makes you pretty unbeatable for the rest of the game.
FF4 DS Version: Cast Slow on every boss except the late game bosses and spam attack + Ice2. You have to fucking steal from Rubacante to keep him from casting magic (what the hell, how am I suppose to know that?). CPU boss can OHKO your entire party 33% of the time before you can even select your commands. Enemies on the moon have 4x the HP and Deal 10x more damage than enemies you were just fighting.
FF5: There are dozens of job/skill combinations that are broken but to mention the most notable one: Blue Mage coupled with Chemist's level altering Mixes can kill any enemy in the game including both superbosses, Gogo and Exdeath without even allowing him to turn into his final form.
FF6: Edgar's Tools oneshot kill just about anything you come across at the beginning of the game, Setzer Slot command can kill any enemy in the game and then there is the Vanish+Doom thing...
FF7: Get Beta from Midgar Zolom learned as soon as you leave Midgar. That's on the same scale of "easy" as abusing limit breaks in FFVIII. And do I even need to mention Knights of Round?
FF9: Get Quina's Limit Glove and keep Quina at 1 HP. Congratulations, you are now oneshotting bosses. get Freya's Dragon Crest and kill some dragons. You can now do reliable 9999 damage against everything regardless HP or stats. And if that wasn't enough both Zidane and Quina can also do reliable 9999 damage regardless of their stats if you steal and catch frogs a lot.

Maybe you should at least acknowledge these while you are at it?
>>
>>387157148
But the junction system is a core feature, same as limit breaks. Anyone with half a brain, and no guide can steamroll through ff VIII without grinding. Not to mention the (awesome) card sidequest. It's not the same as getting a particular blue magic or hours of chocobo (in)breeding.
>>
>>387157896
There's ample GF ability division that leads to a lot of different optimization paths.

And you have to go out of your way to efficiently grind it, and not even until mid-late Disc 2 is that an option.

Not everyone knows, or understands optimal GF ability pathing without prior knowledge.

And, seeing as how they default on strengething themselves first, and players last, if you never manually adjusted your GF's ability learn order, you're not going to be nearly as efficient.

You directly have to manipulate the flow of the game to optimize a path that best suits your direction and needs to break it.

Unless you're trying to break the game early, nobody is going to learn Card Mod right off the bat, and have all of those elite early cards to refine immediately.

And, even if they did, you then still need to learn the GF Ability to refine that item properly to get it optimized for your use.
>>
>>387157896
>Anyone with half a brain, and no guide can steamroll through ff VIII without grinding
Anyone with half a brain, and no guide can steamroll through all post FFIV FFs without grinding anyway. They aren't exactly hard to begin with, at most there are one or two fights that might take you few tries in each game and on top of that there are many easily figured out exploits in all of them.
>>
>>387157148
>Get Beta from Midgar Zolom learned as soon as you leave Midgar.

I'm gonna point out Beta is really strong for when you get it, but it also costs around 50-70% of your MP to actually use it when you first get it. By the time you have enough MP to spam it, it's damage is right around on par with most other things you could be doing, and have Magic Breath with is basically Disc 2 Beta: really strong but expensive.

You're also downplaying how easy getting Beta is right out of Midgar. Midgar Zolom has a lot of hit points, kicks 2 of your party members out during the fight, can easily paste the remaining solo character, and in order to get Beta, you actually have to get hit by it. And Beta generally deals more than your entire health bar that early, unless you were grinding the Elemental materia up a lot.

Not to say FFVII isn't an incredibly easy game to faceroll, but Beta isn't really what I'd call the go-to early gamebreaker. Even for Enemy Skills, Matra Magic (that you can get the instant you leave Midgar) by itself is usually enough to carry you through the first disk.
>>
>>387148595
I hate 8, leveling up is genuinely bad for you, so you just draw then run from random encounters, and then boss fights are all total jokes because you can spam limits every turn, and its not even dangerous to do that since if things are looking bad, you can just reroll Selphie's slots until you get full-cure and bam, there is no longer any danger whatsoever in the fight.
Just face it, 8 was bad.
>>
>>387159784
If your goal is to spam limit breaks, why the fuck would you pick Full-Cure?
>>
>>387159885
I said if things are looking bad, like say if your party is low enough to die in one more hit.
>>
>>387159996
If you're playing properly(ie, spamming limit breaks), then that should never be a problem.
>>
Zell takes too much effort.

Squall is the perfect Limit Break spammer.
>>
File: 2017-08-14 14.02.02.jpg (87KB, 412x618px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-14 14.02.02.jpg
87KB, 412x618px
Will we ever see a huge graphical upgrade like we saw from Final Fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 8?
>>
>>387148595
Tbh I never understood the hate for FF8. Now it isn't perfect I grant you that. Haven't played it since release but I actually liked the draw mechanic and the gf junction system was hard to understand as a kid but thought it was great when I did. Game didn't live up to post FF7 hype but it was a good game.
>>
>>387159784
No, you moron. You're supposed to CARD every enemy encounter, then turn those cards into items and magic. If you have a team without that ability, you use the Ability to set Encounters to Off.
>>
>>387160227
You should show the world models instead, Battle Models were roughly well done on both games.
>>
>>387160357
>Doesn't have an ability he could learn almost immediately
>Is supposed to substitute that ability with a later game ability that costs atleast 4x as much AP to learn
>>
>>387160227
Not likely. Final Fantasy VII was a bitch to program because no-one knew what the specs of the Playstation was going to be, so they had to play it safe. That's why so many early PS1 & PS2 games looked like absolute dogshit compared to games that came out even a year later.

People have gotten smarter since then.
>>
>>387160521
By the time your party starts splitting up (thereby locking certain GF to certain characters), you should have Brothers.
>>
>>387160642
Did you even play the game? You're lack of basic game knowledge is showing.
>>
>>387157148
FF6 and 7 are the only two that pull an FF8 and throw broken shit your way that's so easy to use that even a braindead caveman can destroy the game with it. FF5's gamebreakers take much more effort and knowledge of the game to use effectively or they only become available at the end of the game, while I figured out one half of one of many ways to break VIII before it even came out thanks to the demo disc that came with Brave Fencer Musashi. I was 8.
>>
>>387153278
What you are saying doesn't make an ounce of sense, nigger.
It's my fault that I can break the game? How the fuck does that work?
You were complaining that people are unintelligent that's why they think FF8 is bad. I'm pointing it out that on the contrary. It's bad even when you are intelligent and figure the game system out.
When you have to go out of your way to manually adjust the difficulty and how not to completely break the game apart, you know you are dealing with bad game design.
>>
>>387160424
Yeah, I thought about that or the cinematic modles
>>
>>387162018
>Play Symphony oh the Night
>Crissaegrim or whatever the fuck it is called drops on my first playthrough
>Wow this renders the game trivial and is clearly retardedly overpowered, I'm not having fun!
>Switch to another, non-broken weapon
>Wow, this game is fun again!
Take notes faggots
>>
>>387157148

Honestly, anyone playing JRPG's for the difficulty is doing it wrong. The only difficult part, usually, is the super secret final boss, and that usually requires just grinding for hours and hours.

I agree with the OP, FF8's story wasn't explained like a children's story book so people just got upset.
>>
FF8's story is the Dark Souls of the series.

>we don't know shit about Hyne
>we don't know shit about Junction Machine Ellone
>we don't know shit about the transfer of power from Sorceress to receiver

I still think Ellonne was a Sorceress, and Rinoa received two different Sorceresses powers.

I remember some dialogue somewhere that indicated there were "three"total sorceress in their current timeline, Adel, Edea, and Ellonne from my point of view.
>>
>>387163209
SotN was already trivial without that.
>>
>>387150098
>everyone was raised in the same orphanage
And?

>GF/Junction system
And?

>Draw system
And?

>terrible towns
And you have shit taste.

>terrible stores
Wtf does that even mean??

>terrible way of activating Limit Break
Literally nothing wrong with it.

>terrible music (inb4 random anon links one good song in the OST or mentions Liberi Fatali to defend it)
Jesus Christ, how does it feel to have such shit taste?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofvJ3p4Xp0A&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhuIY8HcgE&index=8&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYHblHmoQKg&index=19&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_ca4IuF7E&index=37&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ycsv_cc8E&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7&index=49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNTx2RSgq8&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7&index=64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TctM-S7BXMs&index=66&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egij2QgKNpw&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7&index=67
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjnvHzdhwU&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7&index=69
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWpwFkORZYY&list=PL1422692A3D34FDF7&index=71

>terrible characters
But with the best MC in the entire series

>art and level design were all over the place
In the sense that were fucking great? Yes, I agree.
>>
File: 1490994868329.png (201KB, 370x426px) Image search: [Google]
1490994868329.png
201KB, 370x426px
>tried to replay it not so long ago
>Rinoa appears
>have no fucking desire to continue playing it as she's even worse than i remember her
jesus fuck what they were thinking with this bitch
>>
>>387148595

FFVIII's problem was it was a Final Fantasy game. All FF games fall apart because they focus on plot and cinematics over gameplay and design. And to make matters worse, they all feel the need to have a series of 'twists' that destroy the story. It's basically if M Night Shamalamalan made a video game series.
>>
>>387160227
This is bait right?
Top pic looks just like bottom, if not even better.
>>
>>387148595

People were not even intelligent enough to understand that Squall died at the end of Disc 1, let that sink in.
>>
>>387160227

Final Fantasy already saw even bigger jumps in graphical difference from VI to VII and IX to X. But we've long past the point where graphics matter. Final Fantasy constantly improved graphics as a substitute to improving game design and gameplay.
>>
File: moon guard 2.png (2MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
moon guard 2.png
2MB, 1440x900px
>>387163783
help plz
>>
>>387150098
>>terrible way of activating Limit Break
Hey, at least it's not like the Trance system in FFIX
>>
File: 118c144b720141675046504765d6e1fb.jpg (297KB, 800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
118c144b720141675046504765d6e1fb.jpg
297KB, 800x1100px
>>387165302

It's funny, I consider FFVIII the worst game I've ever played and hate it with an irrational passion, but Rinoa, while awful like the rest and I certainly detested her, was to me the second best permanent playable character after Squall, whom I despise, because she expressed her personality and individuality. She had her own agenda that drove the plot at times, while everyone else in the party was extremely annoying just like her but also cardboard. In any case her design is by far above the others and is probably the main reason I was endeared.

So in short, I find people's distaste for Rinoa baffling. I will never understand the tastes of the actual FFVIII fans, since they seem to react the worst to her.
>>
>>387167029
>I consider FFVIII the worst game I've ever played

what are you, 6
>>
>>387167417

31. I stated the hate has an irrational element. I see red on nearly any screen in VIII, including the menus.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.