[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"It's a good game, but not a good [franchise] game"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: h.jpg (27KB, 667x645px) Image search: [Google]
h.jpg
27KB, 667x645px
"It's a good game, but not a good [franchise] game"

Do people not realize how retarded they sound when they say this?
>>
what's wrong with saying that?
>>
It makes sense in the context of a game being pretty great on its own merits. Like the recent Prey is a good first-person adventure, but as a perceived reboot of the Prey series it's a failure, so people would be justified in saying "it's a good game but not a good Prey game". The problem is this argument usually gets used in the context of a game of subpar/mediocre quality (like DmC or recent Tomb Raider) that also happens to be part of a series of better games.
>>
>>387140154
>>387140464
You're basically saying the game isn't good because it doesn't rely on a tired old formula the franchise is known for. God forbid an entry try something new.
>>
>>387140628
>You're basically saying the game isn't good
But it's the opposite. They're saying the game IS good, but that it no longer brings to the table what they like best about the previous titles series.
>>
>>387140628
It is possible to innovate without throwing away anything that made a franchise special. Look at old Mario, plenty of innovation but the games remain Mario games.
>>
>>387140628
Changing the core gameplay is what this situation refers to, and nobody said the game isn't good. It's the opposite - the game IS good, it just doesn't have the same atmosphere, tone, and/or gameplay the rest of the series has had which alienates the original fans of the series.

Nuts & Bolts is the quintessential example of this.
>>
Hello tameme. Fuck off tameme.
>>
File: 1501201055497.png (755KB, 1080x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1501201055497.png
755KB, 1080x1032px
>>387140628
It's /v/ so here's your obligatory food analogy

Imagine if you went to your favorite restaurant and found out they replaced their menu with traditional Filipino food like half developed duck fetus boiled eggs, bull testicle soup, cooked chicken talons, or uncooked pork that was "cured" by leaving it underground in an earthen pot for several weeks.

Those foods are fine. People eat those foods and have eaten them for ages. But I don't like them and they're not why I liked that restaurant.
>>
File: 1419360275254.gif (879KB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
1419360275254.gif
879KB, 245x230px
>>387141326

>food analogy
>it actually makes sense
>>
>>387141326
That's a fucking shit food analogy.
>>
>>387141326
This is a terrible food analogy
>>
>>387140081
they're saying the game is good in a purely mechanical context, but when you line it up against all the other games from the same series it doesn't hold up

why is that so hard to understand
>>
File: remove thicc.gif (2MB, 250x226px) Image search: [Google]
remove thicc.gif
2MB, 250x226px
>>387140081
>this game is of sufficient quality by the standards set by the video game sector as a whole, but below the average when compared to the previous or latter entries in its respected series of games

I think you're the one who is retarded op
>>
>>387140081
It means the game was good but the franchise name was slapped on for brand recognition and nothing else
>>
>>387141607
>Ireland
>>
>>387140081
Civ 5 after expansions and with a balance mod is overall a good game. It just isnt a Civ game its some hex shit dumbed down cancer.
>>
>>387140628
Ass Creed 4 story sucks ass and yet it still is a good game because of the naval combat. It was good but not for Assassin's creed game, because pirates meet assassin was stupid. Hell, you could remove all of the assassin parts and rename the game and it would still be a decent game.
>>
>>387141761
Fucking this god damn
It's especially bad when they do it with a series that had a perfectly fine ending *cough*godofwar*coughcough even though the new one looks like shit
>>
>>387141937

It would be a better game if you did that, actually.

While we're at it, let's make treasure interesting instead of

>follow minimap icons to 200 treasure chests containing the equivalent of 10 dollars inside
>>
>>387141551
>>387141581
Imagine if a pasta restaurant served a fucking amazing pizza and called it "pasta deluxe"
It's a good meal, but not a [good] pasta.
>>
>>387140628
so extrapolating that idea, jak 2 and 3 aren't good because the are not like the first one, and i havent heard anyone saying that, have you?

baka famalan
>>
File: IMG_4810.jpg (106KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4810.jpg
106KB, 750x422px
>>387141937
Boy have I got the game for you
>>
>>387141326
Terrible analogy. You are actually saying
>dev only makes 1 genre games
>try new genres and new games are good
>>
>>387140628
Then they should have made a new game and not been lazy and stand on the already made work of the games that game before them. You are literally saying it is ok to shortcut and take the half assed way of using something else's success instead of achieving it on your own but still shouldn't be held to comparison to their crutch. Go fuck yourself, people like you are why so few people put effort into anything.
>>
>>387142082
Jak 2 is shit
Jak 3's gameplay is good
But overall everything after Jak & Daxter should have been a seperate franchise and they should have kept the same formula for Jak & Daxter but quit after 3 games like Crash Bandicoot
>>
>>387142126
>dev only makes 1 genre games
Are you retarded? Devs make all sorts of games. Look at the franchises Capcom has developed (not just published but actually developed)
>Street Fighter
>Megaman
>Resident Evil
>Monster Hunter
>Devil May Cry
>Ace Attourney
>Breath of Fire
Tons of different franchises with categorically different gameplay, all under the same developer; and all with a positive reception among vidyagoers.
>>
>>387140081
It's a shortcut that makes perfect sense.

>RE6 is a good game, just not a good RE game
is more concise than
>RE6 is a good action game but it isn't a survival horror game like the earlier RE games, although I guess you could argue they'd been transitioning to action games with 4 and 5 but 6 is still a very different style of game even compared to those. Basically if RE means survival horror to you, 6 is not an RE you will recognise.
>>
>>387142539
lmao are you serious nigger? he was talking about how the food analogy is interpreted
>>
File: IMG_1844.png (488KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1844.png
488KB, 338x600px
Why does OP sound like a butthurt game dev

I don't care about ELDER SCROLLS LEGENDS or TESO's merit as a game. I want a fucking singleplayer first person roleplaying game and I'm not obligated to like other shit.

Fuck off Hines.
>>
>>387142539

You missed his ( admittedly shitty ) point. He was saying that calling a game franchise a restaurant was wrong because it would be more fitting to call the developer a restaurant and the food are the franchises.

Which is just anon being a pedantic fuckstick instead of addressing the critique's idea which is easily understood, making him a useless cunt.
>>
>>387142681
>TESO
>merit as a game
Good one
>>
>>387142126
No, that would be the restaurant owners opening a new place a few blocks down.
>>
>>387140081
No it makes perfect sense OP you're just a retard. For example, Rainbow Six Siege is a fucking terrible R6 game since all it shares is the name.
>>
>>387142732
TESO is literally the best MMO currently, eat shit.
>>
>>387142723
>>387142650
Oh. Well the same exact thing applies to the food anology.

For instance, one single company owns
>Outback Steakhouse
>Bonefish Grill
>Carrabba’s Italian Grill
>Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar
>Roy’s

If Outback Steakhouse suddenly switched from pseudo-Australian food to traditional Filipino food, it would still fit >>387141326 without any of the other restaurants under the same company being affected.
>>
>>387143067

No, I agree with you. It was a legitimately good food analogy, which is rare and should be commended when it happens.
>>
>>387140081
thats like a mario fps, its not a good mario game but maybe a good fps
>>
>>387143123
No, it wasn't. That food analogy implies that you can't buy and enjoy previous installments of the series. A better one would be >>387142063
>>
>>387140081
Fallout 3/NV/4

prove me wrong
>>
>>387143818
>you can't buy and enjoy previous installments of the series
If it's a multiplayer game, it holds up. You can't go play Battlefield 1942 and enjoy it, they shut the servers down. You've gotta play the newer ones.
>>
>>387142943
It's literally the worst game I've ever played for more than 3 hours.
>>
>>387144306
That requires a different analogy entirely
>>
OP is retarded
Hitman: Absolution
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
>>
>>387146096
They're both games.

They're both restaraunts.
>>
>>387146339
>no one likes Sunshine
Speak for yourself, asshole
>>
>>387140081
DmC: Devil may Cry is a good DMC game, but it's not a good game.
>>
>>387140081

Dark Souls is a good game, but not a good franchise.
>>
>>387140858
This so much
Skyrim is technically a good executed game but when it comes to the actual role play part it's the weakest of all elder scrolls games. And that's what elder scrolls games have been.
Arena: crpg
Daggerfall: crpg
Morrowind: crpg
Oblivion: slightly casualized crpg
Skyrim: action-adventure with some rpg elements
>>
>>387140081
Does anyone have the big boss variant of this?
>>
>>387146770
It is a good game and a good DMC game, but it just should not have been called DMC or at the very damn least should not have tried using Dante and Vergil's names
>>
>>387140081
It's a concise way of saying "I liked the game but in my opinion it didn't live up to the expectations placed upon itself by using the title of an established franchise. If it didn't use the franchise's name in its title, those expectations wouldn't have existed and I wouldn't have been as disappointed in it as I am."

Do people not realize how retarded they sound when they can't critically analyze a statement?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.