[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /v/ help me understand why this series is so well liked?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53KB, 256x330px
Can /v/ help me understand why this series is so well liked? I've tried numerous times to git gud, but I just don't have the patience or time for it. I love the art style of it, and most of the bosses are really fucking cool.

Is it the story?
Is it the character customization?
Or does it really come down to git gud?

Now, I'm not saying anything negative about it. I just don't understand the attraction.
>>
>>387121360

Also applies to Demons Souls and Bloodborne.
>>
>I love the art style of it and most of the bosses are really fucking cool but why does anyone like it?
You just answered your own question OP, the game also has amazing level design.
>>
git gud, and you'll git it
>>
>>387121360
>I've tried numerous times
>Can /v/ help me understand
No. If you already tried it and didn't realize why, then no one can help you anymore.
>>
File: e66629711fabbddd6e5bade74a7285a8.jpg (545KB, 2500x1778px) Image search: [Google]
e66629711fabbddd6e5bade74a7285a8.jpg
545KB, 2500x1778px
Posting some concept art in the meantime
>>
>>387121360
>>387121407
Extremely replayable
No bullshit forced exposition or unskippable walking sequences of the sort, just unadulterated gameplay
>>
>>387121360
For me, I love grinding and making my character stronger, and the gratification of it paying off in bossfights.
>>
>>387121360
>I love the art style and most of the bosses are cool
This is part of it
I like that it's a Zelda ish game but more difficult (I don't play for the difficulty but I like a challenge)
>Story
There's not so much a 'story' but there's tons of lore for the world, if you're into that shit it's really cool but a lot of people don't give a fuck
>>
The melancholic lonely atmosphere, the world design is good and lends itself well to exploration, not to mention how surprisingly nonlinear it can be on repeated playthroughs. The combat is fun too, pretty grounded and weighty while still having exaggerated animations to not feel awkward like western games in a similar style (Severance BoD, M&B, Chivalry, etc). I think the learning curve is the thing that keeps people hooked. It doesn't demand difficult execution, has practically no randomization that can make your strategies less consistent and the encountes are always simple enough so you can work out a solution quickly. Makes progress in the game smooth and satisfying.
>>
>>387121360
For me is the atmosphere, walking slowly and methodically exploring areas full of unknown dangers, knowing that a mistake could cost you dozens of minutes of progress increases the stakes and the tension. And then the satisfaction of overcoming all that.
>>
>>387121360
>>387122881
This, the game doesnt treat you like a retard with a billion tutorials and quest arrows. Just take your item exploring and enjoying the atmosphere of the game, death in this game can be frustrating at times but thats deliberate to enhance the feeling of accomplishment when you overcome that boss whos been kicking your shit in for the past hour
>>
>>387121360
You need patience and time to enjoy it.
The game forces you to back track several times and bosses are trial and error.

If you do have patience then it's a great time sink. There's always something to learn, someplace to explore, lots of gear and grinding xp makes the game easier over time. Humanity makes it even more interesting.
>>
I'm not a particularly big fan of Dark Souls 1 & 2 but I love the fuck out of Bloodborne, I'm convinced it's one of the best games of our generation.

While the first 2 souls games rely heavily on defense and patience for tackling enemies, bloodborne focuses on speed and quick reaction time, but at the same time requiring skill.
dark souls is good but it's way too slow, I can adapt better to a fast paced game like bloodborne

I've played through Dark Souls 3 a few times and it's obvious they were trying to make a blend of the gameplay styles from Souls 1 and Bloodborne, however I ultimately feel like the experience leans more towards bloodborne than a souls game, albeit more "cautious" in it's gameplay style since it takes elements from previous souls games. However Dark souls 3 just feels watered down in comparison to both since it tries to give us the best of both worlds but I don't think the styles clashed as well as they hoped. It's TOO easy.
>>
>>387121360
It's an adventure game with enjoyable exploration and fine combat.
>>
>the story- the vagueness of it and really trying to piece the world you're in together through what little information you have.

>in terms of creating your own character, it's one of the only RPGs where I really feel like I'm shaping my character through the choices I'm making

>the freedom of choosing your game style

>they're heaps difficult, but the feeling of overcoming an obstacle that you thought would be impossible 5 hours ago is better than sex

I don't care how pleb people on here think I am for saying it- the games are so immersive, beautifully crafted and really hard to fault.
>>
>>387121360
Unique online mechanics and it's a good, fun challenge
>>
>>387121360
I liked it because I had to improve as a player to progress.
>>
>>387121360
It feels like a fucking video game and it came out in a time where indie trash, interactive movies and walking simulators were gaining popularity among the mainstream (which obviously has an effect on most big names in the industry that might have spewed out your favourite games before).

Fair challenge
Satisfaction of progress
Anticipation to explore a new area
Character building
Always on your toes about a new boss encounter and how to deal with said boss

It's a fucking video game.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.