[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your personal opinion on spoilers, specifically in story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: Adachi.png (65KB, 250x378px) Image search: [Google]
Adachi.png
65KB, 250x378px
What is your personal opinion on spoilers, specifically in story driven games?

How much do they bother you, if at all? How long does a game need to be out before spoilers can be talked about openly? Have you ever purposely spoiled a new game for others?
>>
They bother me but I've found they never impact the overall experience.

In fact knowing about the spoiler can help keep the game experience focused on the content and not "woah le epic twist"
>>
>>387086561
I honestly hate them, but the internet has little to no filter. Sometimes I get spoiled on something only for it to happen in the beginning of the game, other times I get spoiled on something at the very end of the game, and all it does is make me expect it at any moment, so it kinda ruins it.
>>
>>387086561
Spoilers don't ruin games, or stories for that matter. They ruin moments. So it really depends on the game, if the entirety of it's plot hinges on the twist or that's it's only good part, than I hate them. But if the game is good despite those flaws, it really doesn't matter.

As an example I got spoiled on Goro betraying the team. In the long run it was so inconsequential and obvious it didn't matter.
>>
File: 1461199519207.jpg (203KB, 521x700px) Image search: [Google]
1461199519207.jpg
203KB, 521x700px
>>387086561
>What is your personal opinion on spoilers, specifically in story driven games?
It's not going to stop me from playing the game I wanted to play, but it's going to ruin the experience greatly.

>How much do they bother you, if at all?
It only bothers me a little if I accidentally spoil it for myself, but I despise people who intentionally spoil the story.
Adachi's not that big of a spoiler, considering he's basically your only reasonable option when you get the choice and the other two red herrings are fairly obvious. I was annoyed the whole way through though, because I knew it was Adachi and everyone was acting stupid.

>How long does a game need to be out before spoilers can be talked about openly?
I reckon you can talk about it as soon as you've finished the game, just mark threads with "spoiler content ahead" or use the actual spoiler function for what it's meant for.

>Have you ever purposely spoiled a new game for others?
I have done it unintentionally before.
>>
>>387087273
I feel like pancakes was a scene a lot of people actually didn't catch. I caught it right away and I was suspicious as fuck.
>>
>>387086561
If you're dumb enough to sit around reading threads about a new game you're in the middle of playing yet you deserve to get spoiled.
>>
>>387086561
Spoilers don't really bother me, unless it's a game I really care about in which case I'll avoid discussion. I'll spoil people whenever they ask "just bought x, what am I in for?"
>>
>>387087548
And what about the times the threads not even about the game you've been spoiled on? Or a thread asking for help on a boss somewhere in the first half of the game?
>>
File: 1497660841815.png (335KB, 456x522px) Image search: [Google]
1497660841815.png
335KB, 456x522px
>>387087127
>made a "what am I in for guys?" thread like an idiot after picking up Persona 3
>second post spoils the ending and mentions something about so-and-so being the killer
>exit the thread pissed off and just start playing the game
>towards the end no character by that name has shown up so I figure it was a false spoiler to scare me away before a real one was posted
>the spoiler was real but still no so-and-so
>mfw starting Persona 4

I got two for the price of one and didn't even realize it for 70 some hours.
>>
>>387087972
>what about the times the threads not even about the game you've been spoiled on?
not fair if its a brand new game
>Or a thread asking for help on a boss somewhere in the first half of the game?
Casual shitter and so spoiling was deserved
>>
>>387088136
>not fair if its a brand new game
How is it fair in any situation at all?

>Casual shitter and so spoiling was deserved
That's just stupid. The only excuse for spoiling something purposefully is if the person specifically asked for it, with an actual question not because someone thought it was justified.
>>
>>387086561

On 4chan, It's to be expected.

If someone posts unexpected spoilers on a fucking unrelated booru it's where things get retarded.
>>
>>387086561
>What is your personal opinion on spoilers, specifically in story driven games?
They fucking suck. Games are immensely more enjoyable when you go in blind. Not even story spoilers, but also general details about the gameplay as well. For instance, I haven't watched the Mario Odyssey E3 trailer because there's no reason to; I know I'm going to buy the game and I'd much rather let the game surprise me when I play it than getting spoiled by a trailer.
Persona 5 is another good example. I purposefully avoiding every trailer for the game past the reveal and was blown away by its presentation. Even little shit like the menus and UI was blowing my mind left and right. Same with the story too, the shit with Igor was a great twist and I had no idea it was coming. Both these things enhanced my enjoyment of the game greatly, and I wouldn't had gotten this experience if I let myself be spoiled.

I honestly urge you faggots to try this approach next time there's an upcoming game you're excited about. You'll likely enjoy it significantly more.
>>
Spoilers don't tend to ruin games for me. Most of the time, spoilers don't mean much without the context surrounding it. For example, I got spoiled on P4's killer, like many people did. But that was at a time where I didn't even know about the Persona series. When I actually played it, I had no idea why the character was the killer, what their motivations were, who would get killed, and tons of other details. On top of that, knowing who the killer is isn't even the biggest reveal if you get the true ending. I dislike being spoiled, especially for games where the entire focus is the plot. But most of the time spoilers don't matter because it's the context, build-up, and individual events throughout the story that make up the overall experience. Going back to Persona 4, the murder mystery could easily be considered a small part of the actual story. P4's story is mainly centered around shit like Kanji dealing with his perceived sense of masculinity and acceptance, Dojima's split between being a father and putting away the one who killed his wife, how you did on your exams you studied for during rainy days for a week straight, what girl you chose to romance after learning their story, and more. Most games don't center on a single plot thread, instead telling a story through both cutscenes and the player's individual experience with the game. And you can't spoil how each person will play a game.

So most of the time, spoilers don't cause that many issues. Some games are improved by being in the dark, but very few are outright ruined by knowing the big twist. That's why I don't spoil shit for other people. It should be their choice how aware of the game's story beats they want to be. In regards to time, I personally would like at least a few months before spoilers are talked about openly. Especially for long games like Persona, where it could take you months just to beat the game once.
>>
>>387086561
Even Atlus doesn't care about spoiling Adachi for newcomers, in case you didn't notice by his debuts in the fighting game and rhythm game which were all about CHECK OUT THIS EVIL KILLER.
>>
>>387087428
I feel really embarrassed for it, but yeah. I didn't catch it at all.
>>
>>387088937
Who would play P4A or P4dan before playing the vanilla game?
>>
>>387087428
I caught that also, but i can see it being ignored as something random
>>
>>387088937
To be fair, those games came out what, years after P4 released? There has to be some time frame where you can start acting as if everyone who wanted to play the game already did. Especially for games where it's important to the plot that certain details are just out in the open. P4 Arena is a good example because it took place after the events of P4. It'd be stupid to dance around the plot developments when it's more or less a direct continuation of the story.
>>
>>387088074
That sucks, but seriously, whether it's for a story-heavy game or not, why fucking make a "what am I in for" thread? Just fucking play the game. Especially for a story game, how the hell do you not expect people to spoil shit?
>>
File: 1417369297954.png (636KB, 1310x1170px) Image search: [Google]
1417369297954.png
636KB, 1310x1170px
>>387086561
>How long does a game need to be out before spoilers can be talked about openly?
Age shouldn't be a factor, it should be a flat fucking "no" across the board. I recently played through the entire MGS series and the twists in MG1 and 2 legitimately surprised me, and those games are 25+ years old.

At least here, I'm fine with spoilers being talked about openly in threads relating to the game, just don't go plastering blatant spoilers ship in the OP. The Danganronpa fanbase is a prime fucking example of this; I've gotten the main villains and twists of the games spoiled for me because DR fans are fucking obnoxious and can't contain themselves by not plastering blatant shit in the op of almost every thread.

Posting spoilers in unrelated threads fucking retarded though of course.
>>
>>387089168
I only played P4 because I played Arena, though I played Persona 3 before that.
>>
File: 1486877180519.jpg (288KB, 750x893px) Image search: [Google]
1486877180519.jpg
288KB, 750x893px
I can't stop myself from getting spoiled. It's like a drug.
>>
>>387089178
People that played blazblue who wanted to check out another Arc system game
>>
>>387088918
This basically sums up how I feel about spoiler, whether in a game, movie, anime, anything. Especially for a simple "x dies" spoiler in a story. I'd rather go unspoiled, but it makes me more curious to see how/why they died.
>>
File: 1501556168648.gif (183KB, 429x479px) Image search: [Google]
1501556168648.gif
183KB, 429x479px
I feel the need to look into a game before buying it
I never play blind unless its game that didn't interest me to begin with
>>
>>387089371
Fuck me meant to reply to>>387089168
>>
>>387086561
Wh...why is a picture of adachi in a spoiler thread?

>>387087127
I had Star Wars episode 7's twist spoiled by some asshole on /v/ who claimed he spoiled things because he hates Americans.
Some people are just garbage.
>>
>>387088918
>On top of that, knowing who the killer is isn't even the biggest reveal if you get the true ending
Hard to spoil a stupid asspull when it literally has no build up.
>>
>>387086561
I try to avoid them. I'm pretty autistic about it actually. But I also have poor self control, so I often end up spoiling things for myself anyway. I remember when spoiling something for myself meant flipping to the end of the guidebook to look at the final boss, rather than watching a video on youtube...

The only long RPG I can remember playing completely unspoiled is Final Fantasy 9, because I couldn't find the guidebook for it in stores and I hadn't started regularly using the internet at that point.

With Persona 5, I actually managed to do very well for a long time. I didn't even know the game's basic premise going in, and I remained completely unspoiled all the way up to the Goro reveal. But at that point I just really wanted to go talk about the game with other people, and I saw enough hints dropped about Igor to figure out what was coming.
>>
>>387087428
Yeah, I got it too, but I thought it was clever though.
>>
>>387089215
That happened many years ago and I think making those threads was something of a minor meme/fad that season, so I made it without thinking. Still though, I enjoyed both games a ton despite it, so I guess it wasn't that bad.
>>
>>387089452
Why? You're just ruining yourself of enjoyment. Go try to play a game blind, you'll enjoy it more.
>>
>>387089628
Oh come on, even I knew that guy was suspicious. I just wondered why they never touched on him again for the rest of the game
>>
>>387087428
I think it might have triggered some suspicion in me, but by the time he actually joined your party I had completely forgotten about it.
>>
File: harold-bloom.jpg (152KB, 1000x646px) Image search: [Google]
harold-bloom.jpg
152KB, 1000x646px
>>387086561
Doesn't matter, if revealing a plot point is enough to "spoil" a work (in any medium) it is a poorly constructed piece of work.

No coincidence the concept of "spoilers" come from trash culture such as fantasy novels and science fiction films, the most famous example being a poorly written, meandering and bloated children's series about wizards.
>>
Its a shitty thing to do and it takes a few seconds to put spoiler tags
>>
>>387089215
>how the hell do you not expect people to spoil shit?
If a man murders me it is out of anger or mental illness
If a man robs me it is out of want
If a man rapes me, it is out of lust
But there is no justification for spoilers. You don't even get to see the other person's reaction.
>>
>>387089168
They don't have to play it, they just have to catch one of the many trailers or magazine ads for it.
>>
I will always try to avoid spoilers but desu >>387089875 is right.

No one ever complained about getting "spoiled" on Ulysses. You're there for the artistic craftsmanship, not cheap parlor tricks and misdirection.
>>
>>387089628
It doesn't have much build-up, but the question of where all the shadow world nonsense came from, how/why you have powers without facing your shadow, why both Namatame and Adachi could access the world, and what the entire scene where you're wandering through the fog world was about all did hint at something else. It just gets lost in what is like a 60+ hour game.

>>387089413
Exactly. The context of how events play out can be way more interesting that the event itself. It's why so many games/movies/stories start off with showing an event that happens way later, then it cuts back to the events that lead up to it. Spoilers can sometimes even be something that gets people interested in a game. For example, when I heard Bloodborne goes from hunting freakish werewolves to eldritch horrors, I immediately bought the game. That spoiler of late game events got me interested in a game I may have just ignored for a while.
>>
>>387089887
Unfortunately, some jerks at /v/ either don't know how (which is pathetic), or don't give a shit
>>
>>387089717
Not him but for some games I think I get more enjoyment out of keeping up to date on all the info before release and talking out it here and with others than having a fresh experience. Like for the sixth he pokemon games I went in 100% blind, and it was alright, but I felt left out thinking about all the reveals and rumors and shit I missed.
>>
>>387089875
Most of the examples in this thread, persona especially, aren't ruined by the spoilers, but it takes away a really fun moment for the player all the same

It's just childish and cruel
>>
>>387090045
>>387089875
I dunno, I had the ending of flowers for algernon spoiled for me and it dampened my enjoyment
>>
>>387086561
>Got spoiled the Nier "plot twist"
>Finally got to play the game
>The ""plot twist"" is blatantly obvious and is foreshadowed literally from the start of the game
>>
>>387089738
That's hindsight. The twist is pure bullshit
>Only show up once in the entire game
>at the literal beginning of a 70+ long hour RPG
>Has no build up or foreshadowing in the slightest
>Has no character portrait, insinuating he's an irrelevant NPC like literally everybody else without a portrait.
>Trigger for him at the end is retarded. You just have to be talking to every NPC in the game at the end to get the "real" final boss
>Doesn't contribute anything to the plot, literally only serves as an additional final boss. Good ending and the True ending are identical if you remove him.
Fuck, P4 is a stupid game.
>>
>>387090076
>Spoilers can sometimes even be something that gets people interested in a game.
This happened to me with Breath of Fire IV. I got spoiled on Elina's fate and it got me interested in the game, may not have even picked it up otherwise.
>>
>>387090254
That is precisely an example of a trashy genre work, there is not enough substance or level of craft to carry it on its own, and thus it relies on crafting cheap drama and tension via. surprise and the unknown.

You wouldn't enjoy it any less if I hummed the final few bars of the "Jupiter" symphony, would you?
>>
>>387090505
SHE is actually important to the plot, but only in the background. She's also related to another important plot point added in Golden.
The foreshadowing is that the whole game makes even less sense if she doesn't exist.
>>
>>387087428
I caught on because it was such a stupid scene I knew it had something to do with the story.
Even my brother watching me, who only saw that from post Kamoshida, knew something was up
>>
>>387090612
>Doesn't matter, if revealing a plot point is enough to "spoil" a work (in any medium) it is a poorly constructed piece of work.
Don't be stupid. If you read a spoiler for a book, you just spend your time waiting for the spoiler to happen instead of enjoying it the way you would have if you had gone in unspoiled. It also deprives you of a reread to pick up foreshadowing may have missed before, because you've already spotted it, knowing the spoiler. It has nothing to do with the book's literary merit.

>You wouldn't enjoy it any less if I hummed the final few bars of the "Jupiter" symphony, would you?
Are you pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>387091757
Don Quixote recovers from his madness, disavows romance and then dies. Now do you think that reading DQ would be useless?
>>
jaime dies this episode lads
>>
>>387090612
Alright, but like I think you're missing the fact that there's more than 1 kind of entertainment

Think of a roller coaster. Do you complain that a roller coaster has drops for "cheap thrills"? Of course you don't, that's why you road it in the first place

Same for things like persona or Star Wars. I can appreciate the build up and the set pieces, I can appreciate how it was all put together even if it didn't necessarily push many boundaries but the twist or the outcome or major character deaths being a surprise adds to the overall work
>>
>>387092274
Not the same thing, but yea you just made that story worse for me
>>
>>387092274
Damn, I actually wanted to read that book one day, thanks man.
>>
A game is only as good as the gameplay so I only care if it's a game I know is going to be good. Like Breath of the Wild.
>>
>>387090602
As someone who's never played a BoF game, what about this person's fate is so interesting. Get me interested in the game.
>>
I avoided spoilers for P5 until a day before the game. Then a faggot on /toy/ said in a figma thread 'hey you think we'll get some P5 figures? I'd like one of Goro even though he's the traitor and Igor is a fake'
>>
>>387087273
Well that's why Akechi being a traitor wasn't a twist, the two was that everyone knew the whole time and turned it around on his bitch ass
>>
>>387086561
spoilers have become an overblown meme (thanks in part to game of thrones). spoiling a twist takes out some of the impact but if an entire game/book/show/movie is completely ruined by one sentence (like "adachi is the killer") then it probably wasn't very well written in the first place. even if you know the twist/ending of a story, a good story should still enjoyable with the build up and climax
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.