[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best Zelda-like games out there that aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: okami.jpg (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
okami.jpg
2MB, 1680x1050px
What are the best Zelda-like games out there that aren't Zelda?

3D or 2D, new or old, just name 'em.
>>
>>387082450
You're looking for so-called action adventures.
>>
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
>>
Darksiders and Hyper Light Drifter are alright games.
>>
File: 51N91DFCTNL.jpg (52KB, 366x500px) Image search: [Google]
51N91DFCTNL.jpg
52KB, 366x500px
Just beat this on Dolphin. It's pretty neat, though the camera bothered me a lot during combat segments. I appreciate they tried to keep the combat really simple to focus on the platforming and puzzle solving, but a soft-lock on camera would've made this game better.
>>
>>387082450
Surprisingly, there are very few of them.

Okami and the Alundra are the only proper non-Nintendo Zelda-clones out there. PS1's Kingsley's Adventure was kinda close too.
There's also the GC's Star Fox Adventures, which people mostly played for Krystal anyway.
>>
>>387082450
I always saw GoW games more like Zelda than DMC
>>
>>387082614
I think I saw the studio was doing another one (or a remake) for the Switch, is it true?
>>
>>387082710
The game was cool but the bosses were bullshit
>>
>>387082718
>I always saw GoW games more like Zelda than DMC
That's some fucked up point of view.
>>
>>387082710
Alundra isn't a Zelda clone. It's a spiritual successor to (the superior) Landstalker, made in part by some of the same people.
>>
File: Ulthane_war_gate.png (924KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
Ulthane_war_gate.png
924KB, 1280x544px
>>387082602

Mah nigga, Darksiders was pretty good. I really enjoyed the first game, but I never beat the second. I got like halfway through it maybe, up to the ghost ship, but I stopped playing and never picked it back up. It was fun, I don't remember why I stopped.
>>
>>387082450
There are no true Zelda-likes, there are only action-adventure games. None of them actually properly capture the Zelda formula.
>>
>>387082718

How

>>387082826

No idea, but I hope so. They deserve a second chance. I could have swore the game had receive a wii port, but I guess not.
>>
Adventure Time games.
Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage is a Zelda 2 clone and Nameless Kingdom is top down Zelda style.
>>
>>387082980
>Alundra isn't a Zelda clone

Nigga pls. Landstalker is great, but both games borrow pretty heavily from Zelda. The only difference is that Landstalker has isometric view and shit controls.
>>
>>387082980
>Alundra isn't a Zelda clone
I'd like to hear how you'd argument and justify such statements.

It was considered a pure Zelda clone back in the days, and it's certainly a Zelda clone today.
>>
File: starfoxadventdolphin.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
starfoxadventdolphin.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
It's rushed towards the end but other than that its wonderful.
>>
>>387083104
>There are no true Zelda-likes, there are only action-adventure games

You're either baiting hard, or you haven't played many games, because there are lots of games that capture the Zelda feel, even if not being completely similar.

Not all action-adventure games are like that, in fact most aren't.
>>
>>387083278
They don't borrow heavily from Zelda. Sure, there is some influence but that's because they are action adventure games. There used to be plenty of games in a similar style.
>>
File: truedong.png (68KB, 161x162px) Image search: [Google]
truedong.png
68KB, 161x162px
>>387083424
>>
>>387083005
Same. I wasn't hooked on the game. It had great art direction, combat was alright, music was good, there were some good puzzles but still
I think it was just bland. Despite all its hard work, it's unremarkable. Some games are better than the sum of their parts, but it clearly wasn't somehow. Too safe, too refined perhaps
>>
Beyond good and evil
>>
>>387083521

Why do you think the opinion of thousands of players is somehow wrong and you're right?

Action-adventure is like my favorite vidya genre, Alundra is NOT just some generic top down action game, it does borrow heavily from Zelda. You get fuckin' Power Gloves ffs
>>
>>387083835
You underaged Nintendo fans are something else; it's kind of funny to me desu. Zelda didn't invent the wheel. It wasn't even the first game if its kind.
>>
>>387082450

I remember actually really enjoying this game back in the day. The gameplay and everything was pretty fun.
>>
Theres a pretty good Zelda 1 clone based on Golden Axe on the Master System.
>>
>>387084245
>pretty good

Funny way of saying "it blows Zelda I completely out of the water".
>>
is oceanhorn good?
>>
>>387083997

>comparing Alundra to Zelda makes me an underage nintendo fanboy

Nice logic. I love Alundra, I'm just saying it is clearly inspired by Zelda.

>Zelda didn't invent the wheel. It wasn't even the first game if its kind.

Except it literally did. You have no idea of what you're talking about, Alundra is literally inspired by Zelda, it has Zelda references in the game.
>>
>>387083005
Well you got a little under half way through the game then. You can see theres four worlds to visit through the tree, but this game was one of THQ's last gasps and the dev team had to rush pretty hard to get it done, so the second half of the game is super condensed and feels more like a third. The undead land is about a quarter smaller than the forged lands, and the angel and demon outpost's you visit are even smaller. You do get to visit earth for a little bit... but it's not what you'd expect, and goes by really fast, which is fucked up because its map is nearly as big as the Angel and Demon world together.
>>
>>387084338

Too bad it came out on the same year as AlttP, which was much better.
>>
>>387084518
Of course there is a little influence as I already stated myself. Zelda itself still didn't invent the action adventure genre. If you're not familar with other important games from the 80s and early 90s, then maybe you should do your homework before discussing something you clearly don't know much about?
>>
>>387084693

I want to go back to it and finish it sometime, but every time I kinda go "eeeeh, I'll just play something else".
>>
>>387085061

>overworld filled with secrets and dungeons you have to travel to
>puzzle-based dungeon progression which requires specific items
>said items can be used not only to solve puzzles but to attack enemies and defeat bosses
>very similar plot progression
>non-RPG based real time combat system based on movement and reflex instead of stats

It's basically AlttP with a jump button

Seriously, name 5 games from the time that weren't Zelda that do all of that
>>
File: 3D_Dot_Game_Heroes_JPNBox8.jpg (161KB, 300x346px) Image search: [Google]
3D_Dot_Game_Heroes_JPNBox8.jpg
161KB, 300x346px
>>387082450
>>
File: gfs_155200_1_1_mid.jpg (33KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_155200_1_1_mid.jpg
33KB, 540x304px
>>387082450
Does this count?
>>
>>387085864
>>387086004

>dotmind

I really wish I could overcome the art style and give the game a chance. I don't know why, but it doesn't feel as good to hit enemies when they're just piles of 3D blocks.
>>
Shantae my niggy
>>
>>387086179

I was actually looking to get into the series. Which one should I start with?
>>
>>387085442
>It's basically AlttP with a jump button

No, it's literally Landstalker with a slightly different perspective (remember, Landstalker already had a jump botton?) and a little additional Zelda influence.

Also, do your homework yourself, youngfag.
>>
>>387082450
Thanks for reminding me that this game exists, I'm going to have to finish it off.
>>
>>387086280

>He disagrees with me, so he's clearly underage

If that makes you feel better. I've been providing tons of arguments here but your only replies are "lol no ur wrong and ur underage", so it's pretty clear who's the child here.

Anyway, both games are great, and you're a massive faggot.
>>
>>387086162
I kinda gave up on the game when I realized the items and spells you get don't really matter in the boss fights. Just swinging your sword at a glowing spot a bunch of times isn't that fun. And that fucking dragon boss pretty much killed my motivation to continue.
>>
>>387086471
>he loses the argument
>starts to throw a tantrum

Can you show your underage any clearer?
>>
Ys I & II
>>
>>387086594
Not him, but you're a dumb faggot
>>
>>387086594
>starts tothrow a tantrum
>said the guy providing zero arguments and just calling people underage fanboys
>>
>>387082450
Just ask for action-adventure games and people will hand out long lists of games. Speaking of "Zelda clones" will trigger many people, myself included.
>>
>>387086638

Ys isn't really Zelda like at all, it's more like a real time action RPG. Still great though, except the combat in I & II is pretty boring.

>>387087042

Maybe he doesn't want a list of action-adventure games, but games similar to Zelda, which is what we're discussing in this thread.
>>
>>387085061
Dude it's more than a little. If it wasn't inspired mostly by Zelda it'd be more like Challenger or something.
>>
Unepic is like an open world Zelda 2 in a Castlevania sort of castle, if that's something that would appeal to you.
>>
>>387087247
>he doesn't want a list of action-adventure games, but games similar to Zelda

Too bad. I could name plenty of decent to great action-adventure games similar enough to Zelda but I won't because the OP is clearly meant to stir up shit and not to actually ask for recommendations.
>>
>>387088452

Huh, that sounds neat.

>>387088470

"Hey recommend me games similar to X series"

Wow what a controversial request, clearly he's just out to get you all with his masterful bait
>>
Was the DS sequel to Okami any good?
>>
>>387089970
no
>>
>>387086278
I dont think it actually matters that much wich order you play them. Half genie hero is best game in my opinion
>>
>>387082450
You named it already
>>
>>387082450
Ninja Gaiden Black.
>>
>>387082450
Do the Soul Reaver games count? I heard someone call them "3D metroidvania" games once which I thought sounded stupid.
>>
>>387092409

It's kinda true. You have an overworld, and you backtrack to previous areas when you get a power-up to reach new areas.
>>
>>387091738
>Half genie hero is best game in my opinion

But Pirate's Curse was the best.
>>
>>387092705
Half genie hero was great but it shouldve been longer
>>
>>387082602
I just started Hyper Light Drifter and it is really confusing me, I have no idea what I'm doing or what anything does
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.