[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THAT FUCKING ENDING BOYS. But holy shit, is there a more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 3

File: somatitle.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
somatitle.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
THAT FUCKING ENDING BOYS.
But holy shit, is there a more dense MC than Simon?
>>
I'd be as dense as him if I were in his situation, I'm sure. Only I wouldn't get the chance to be surprised because I'd get killed well before him.
>>
>>387070901
Is this game scary?
>>
>>387071321
It's more interesting and thought provoking than scary too be honest.
>>387071256
It's worse when you KNOW you'd kill the previous you to stay in charge. How can you trust a copy of yourself.
>>
>>387070901
M U H C O I N T O S S

To be fair though he had brain damage when he was scanned. SOMA is a fucking masterpiece regardless, not a single book out there that can compete with how truly fantasticly the game conveys the issues with the human perception of self and existence.
>>
>>387071691
Buttsex
>>
>>387070901
>>387070901
>le simon is dumb complaint

the dumbest of complaints
>>
>>387071321
if you're asking then yes
>>
>>387071691
>It's more interesting and thought provoking than scary too be honest.

Try having a deep sea phobia m8
>>
>>387070901
The game could have done better in the monster department, but the concepts it presents are intense enough to leave you thinking for months afterwards so I think that more than makes up for it.
>>
>>387072562

>He didn't think Akers was spoopy especially when running at him when the power goes out
>>
>>387072772
Oh no don't get me wrong, Akers was the strongest monster spook in the game especially with the noises he makes. But other than him only the anglerfish scare really compares for me.
>>
>>387070901
The ending disturbed me pretty fucking hard, awesome stuff, highly underrated game though not perfect. Would have preferred it be closer to Amnesia in gameplay, with a proper inventory and even some metroidvania-esque it would have been even better (for me at least).
>>
>>387072562
>enough to leave you thinking for months afterwards
>literally forgot I played this game a week after finishing it

kewl
>>
>>387073043
I mean if you're that used to existential stuff then I could see why, but it's still pretty rough shit to think about.
>>
>>387071691
>How can you trust a copy of yourself?
Because I don't think I'm powered purely by spite or the need to impose a hierarchy on my fellowship of retards.

>>387072335
I think engaging in reciprocal buttsex with your thought-duplicates doesn't work when you lack functioning sex organs.
And even if your sex organs function both times the character copies his consciousness he transfers his consciousness into the corpse of a woman so he could scissor with his thought-duplicate at best
>>
Yeah there were a few real mind fuck moments that freaked me out hard. I sorta knew the whole coin toss thing was bullshit and that someone had to be left behind. Still didn't expect to witness it like that. Great game. It's a shame to me that there are people who can't stomach playing games that will miss out on the experience.
>>
Are there more games like Soma? I completely loved the story and the characters. The relationship they built felt so natural as if they were truly alive.
>>
>>387073303
Yeah the way the kept you on Simon 3(?) in the ending was handled really well, especially for anyone who let the other Simon live trapped in a room without an omnitool to open doors.
>>
The only thing that could've been better is that the ending could have been an ACTUAL coin toss - i.e. 50% of the time you'd get the ending as it is now currently in the game, and the other 50% of the time you'd get the reverse ending - you first see the scene where Simon had his mind transfered and then after credits you see Simon at the bottom of the sea, alone.
That'd be cool.
>>
Actually glad I stomached playing through this. The part with Akers was spooky as fuck.
>>
>>387073745

No because coin toss a shit.
>>
i quit the game after i deleted some of the brains scans on one of the pcs. like i immediately knew i had fucked up and i couldn't handle the thought of going forward knowing that in theory i had just erased some 'people'. need to go back and finish at some point but it still gets under my skin when i think about it. cool game.
>>
>>387071321
Honestly I'm a huge pussy and this game had my ass clenched for most of its duration. Its more interesting parts come with the dialogue between the characters though, it's a rare example of good writing in vidya.
>>
>>387074405
i wish the voice acting was a bit less amateurish though
>>
>>387074437
what? critics praised the game for its voice acting lol
>>
I didn't find the goopy diving suit guys to be scary at all. It's not fun playing ring around the rosie with dumbass AI. Otherwise enjoyed the environments and story. Wish it was just a spooky walking simulator with some more sophisticated puzzles though.
>>
>>387073462
>Are there more games like Soma?
In terms of what? Mindfuck story that rly makes u think? Nier I guess.
>>
>>387074756
Akers had some good build up though. Some crazy fuck everyone keeps talking about in the logs as you travel, and then you find out he started to put the structure gel inside of him on purpose and it turned him into that shrieking blind fucker.
>>
>>387073745
That's stupid. A coin toss makes no sense. You can't have a 1% chance of magically teleporting your conscience to someplace else, let alone a 50% chance.
>>
>people still think simon is a retard because he can't process the brain scan shit

He was some fag from Canada who had a fucking brain injury. He "woke up" after being examined by a doctor in an underwater lab 100 years in the apocalyptic future with only a voice to guide him, being hunted by monsters, and with no context from which to understand literally anything. Catherine was just some cunt who manipulated a dead kid into doing what she wanted and he did as she asked because he had no idea what the fuck was happening. He was in shock the entire game, and is literally a walking headless corpse with a camera stapled to it. How the fuck was he supposed to react to anything? What was he supposed to process? He was a fucking zombie and he was just desperately trying to avoid the inevitable mental collapse of his life and the entire world being over. The Ark represented the one faint hope he could have from his perspective that something could go "right" for him, no shit he latched on to the idea of "getting on" so hard.

You fucking people, I swear.
>>
File: 1423039742915.gif (410KB, 221x196px) Image search: [Google]
1423039742915.gif
410KB, 221x196px
>tfw had to follow a walkthrough for the final monster (asian dude in diving suit) because I spooked my ass off
Damn I'm such a pussy
>>
>>387075023
No I mean, the game ending should have been stochastic - 50% of the players would get the current ending, while 50% of the players would get the reverse ending, where you first see the scene on the barge, and then the scene where Simon is stuck under the sea
>>
>>387075183
What people don't seem to understand is that there's Simon's point of view, who is a brain damaged average joe template for a prototype brain scanner, and the Player's point of view, that (supposedly) understands everything and is able to understand why Simon acts like he does.
>>
>>387074786
Nah, Nier is pretty weeb trash. I mean more serious games like Soma itself. A great story with good characters and a nice setting.
>>
>>387075183
It was pretty fucking retarded though you gotta admit. Of course you cant scientifically transfer your consciousness somewhere else. Even a 10 year old should be able to understand it would just be a copy of his consciousness. It's not like he was dealing with magic here.
>>
>>387075967
Nier has a great story with good characters
>>
>>387073745
Naw, the "coin toss" was just wordage used so he'd continue working with her. The first body swap felt like one because the previous one was KO'd and he doesn't really think much about it. I sort of regret killing the original now, his second body is so lonely....
>>
>>387075967
I mean if you can get over xD 2Bs BUTT and the fact that there's humor at points in the game, it deals with a lot of stuff that Soma did so it's a fair comparison.
>>
>>387075749
But the whole point is that there is no coin toss. One consciousness stays behind while a new one is pasted.
>>
>>387076063
Maybe i didn't explain it well. I meant nier automata, not the first.
>>
>>387075971
No, a 10 year old wouldn't understand that in the situation Simon was in. What ice cold 10 year old do you know who could face such a monumental collapse of their psyche as well as the disassociation one would feel when they learned to their great horror they aren't actually walking around in their own body.

You can't even "see" that you're a robot until someone points it out and even then most people remain in denial. The guy you find in the computer you can run a current through to open the door genuinely thought he was alive and his legs were broken, and the one girl you meet at the bottom of the ocean in a robot was convinced she was on the Ark even though she was just sitting at the bottom of the ocean. The robots you have to shoot in the one part are so delusional they have a conversation about their workplace crush even though they've been down there for fucking years, they're still convinced they're human and normal. Notice that Simon 3 never bothers to refer to Simon 2 as "me", he refers to him as "him", an incorrect statement Catherine never bothers to correct because she was manipulating Simon from the first minute.
>>
>>387075183
Except during the game he constantly sees people put into robot bodies thinking they're human and thinks it's ridiculous, and at one point he swaps bodies and has to make the choice on KILLING HIS OLD SELF.

He literally transferred his consciousness in the middle of the game and can't work that out, nevermind his consciousness transferred at the start of the game too.
>>
>>387076460
I guess I can get the argument if he's literally in denial. There's just no logic to thinking his consciousness would magically transfer into a computer.
>>
>>387076441
How is Automata any more weeby than the first Nier?
>>
>>387076168
I played it and got the first ending. I know there's way more to the game with the other endings, but i just couldn't bother. You can see that the game is made for retarded, nihilistic weebs. Soma, on the other hands, was a way more serious story and the relationship built between Simon and Catherine was 100000 times better than 2B and 9S.
>>
>>387076254
Yeah, so imagine you first see the scene on the barge, with the transfered consciousness, where everything ends nicely. Credits roll.
And then after credits, a scene plays where you are returned to the bottom of the sea with Simon copy number2, where he screams as to what the hell is going on, and the robot chick telling him about the coin toss and blabla. And the game ends with that scene instead, it would have been much more unsettling.
>>
>>387076482
Yes, he thinks it ridiculous because it isn't him. The "people" he encounters are almost all as delusional as he is, they refuse to acknowledge they're robots entirely and they were around working in the lab the scans came from. It's not something your brain lets you process when it happens to you specifically. It's too much of a shock, but you can comprehend it happening to someone else. The only person immune to this was Catherine because she's an ice cold manipulative bitch.
>>
>>387076587
I don't know. I know absolutely nothing about the first so i can't argue. I only played automata and didn't like it for its weeby stuff.
>>
>>387076653
I really don't get the 'nihilistic weebs' complaints. In fact the last ending of the game is about making your own meaning in life. But hey, if you didn't like it so far then I doubt 9S' playthrough will change your mind.
>>
>>387070901
>>387071691
>>387072562
>It's more interesting and thought provoking than scary too be honest.
>the concepts it presents are intense enough to leave you thinking for months afterwards so I think that more than makes up for it

Brainlets detected. SOMA is as deep as your backyard kiddie pool.
>>
>>387076920
It's not deep, it just opens the door to deeper concepts like human consciousness. I don't think anyone was claiming more than that, my shitposting friend.
>>
>>387076858
I thought that the story had potential but it was wasted with all that fan service. I may be alone in this, but i just can't take a story seriously when the main character is basically a maid robot with huge swords.
>>
>>387077154
It doesn't "open the door" to profound thought. Everyone thinks about human consciousness at some point in life - it's an inevitably of human consciousness being self-aware.

The game does nothing but take a dilemma you might find in your philosophy 101 course and make a game out of it.
>>
>>387077191
I realize you probably won't buy this, but it really is done for a reason. Huge swords aside which I can accept complaints for, the yorha units are supposed to look like the opposite spectrum from the machines. So perfectly human that they look like dolls, the game even refers to them as dolls multiple times.
>>
>>387077191
i've never played a japanese hack n slash game with a story that's meant to be taken seriously. there are some weird tonal issues.
>>
>>387075183
Honestly he is how the average person would process all this, and it pisses people off how stupid others are
>>
>>387077401
what was up with that chick in the original nier who was wearing lingerie?
>>
>>387077348
That doesn't necessarily make it bad?
>>
But who was best Simon?
>>
>>387077469
Compensating for the fact that she had a dick and wanted to be looked at as a woman. Kind of a flimsy reason for a character having a dick, but in the first game she was treated like a freak for it so.
>>
>>387077501
It does when the game lacks gameplay.
>>
>>387077414
In that i agree with you. Really rare to find one. I mean, there are japanese games with serious stories, but hack n slash? it really is hard to find one.
>>
You guys know why the did the coin toss bull shit? Because people are stupid when it comes to these type of questions, go look up some lets plays of the final scene in SOMA. Almost all of them thought the coin toss was real
>>
>>387077348
>take a dilemma you might find in your philosophy 101 course and make a game out of it
If it remains a dilemma which has no general consensus on resolution at any level of philosophy, does it matter that it would be one of the first taught in the study of philosophy?
>>
>>387075272
Me to. Shit rocked me for some reason.
I'm not usually a little bitch in games like this, but I guess I am now.
>>
>>387071321
Wasn't too bad for the most part until I had to traverse an abyssal trench. I hate deep sea.
>>
>>387077985
>you have to go down into the abyss
Fuuuuuck that. Please don't tell me there are sea monsters after your ass down there or I might drop the game entirely because I'm a huge pussy
>>
>>387077348
this is shitting on the works of sartre, camus and dostoevsky because they read a book on kierkegaard's existentialism and decided to write their own books on existentialism

i feel like there's nothing wrong with exploring philosophical ideas through a narrative. soma does a pretty good job of it considering the shit attempts games like bioshock have made in the past.
>>
>>387073462
Talks Principle also deals with the same philosophical subject matter under similar pretences.
>>
>>387078131
No yes
>>
File: 1423000488655.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1423000488655.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>story revolves around Simon getting a brain scan due to his traumatic brain injury
>everyone gets butthurt that Simon is dense
>game tells you Simon is literally brain damaged
>mfw have to remark that he's dense
>>
>>387077896
Yes, because it isn't saying anything smart. It isn't making any commentary. It's bringing up an age old philosophical idea and throws it into a "video game."

Note that I put "video game" in quotes, because there isn't much game to it. Unlike Amnesia, which had an excellent, brooding atmosphere and a surprisingly fresh take on a classic horror setting, SOMA simply harps on a very basic premise, makes it look confusing because the protagonist is a mouthbreathing retard, and calls it a day.

>>387078347
Fuck off. Those works are written with the intent on discussing the premise in a new light, not retreading old ground. All this game does is educate the handful of retards in the world who have never sat down and thought about what it means to be conscious.

Hardly a surprise those people would be from /v/
>>
>>387078380
>Talks Principle
That one actually looks nice.
>>
>>387078676
>Hardly a surprise those people would be from /v/
SAVAGE
A
V
A
G
E
>>
>>387075971
>Of course you cant scientifically transfer your consciousness somewhere else

But that's exactly what he thinks happened to him. That's what he has memories of. He remembers being "transfered" from the past to his robot body, and then again into the new body later in the game. He was never actually transfered, but his memories made it seem like he was since he remembered everything from before the transfer.
>>
>>387078676
How is Amnesia at all fresh compared to SOMA? Insanity and alien god beings? Running from monsters? I mean really?
>>
>>387078676
It's presenting a philosophical dilemma which hundreds of years of the best philosophers have yet to resolve, in a way that most (~85% Metacritic) people would describe as compelling and entertaining, and in less time (~10 hours) than a Philosophy 101 course. That's a remarkable achievement.

It's not a commentary, it doesn't explore the harder problems of consciousness, but it presents them in a way that gets people who thought "Of course the person at the end of a teleport is the same person who was at the beginning" to understand why philosophy cares about consciousness so much.
>>
>>387073462
Event[0] is kind of similar. Maybe check that out. Don't expect it to be better than Soma though.
>>
>>387080064
>>387073462
Oh also Tacoma just came out. Made by the people who made Gone Home though so it's more of a walking sim than anything.
>>
Finished the game yesterday, this ending is really harsh

What did you think about the WAU ? did you kill it? Why?

Also what did you think about the fact that none of your actions actually matters and are a way to get in the skin of simon and think about what you are doing?

and will simon 4 be able to kill himself? or he will be trapped in the deep sea alone forever?

>tfw you have a deep sea phobia and get into the abyss

Also post your face when ITS NOT A LAMP AAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>387081275
WAU was infecting sealife which was a problem for the already devestated biosphere. Sealife still being around meant there was long term hope for the biosphere and its best to euthanize the WAU along with its creations to let nature go back to the drawing board after humanity.

As for Simon, all the Mockingbirds have a limited battery supply and the power finally goes out permanently after you launch the Ark since the station was already barely holding together. Simon and Catherine basically destroyed everything useful along the way, simon will eventually run out of battery, just like simon 2 does if you leave him alive. It'll be a long lonely road to that point though depending upon how long that takes.
>>
>>387081275
>did you kill it? Why?
I didn't. WAU will probably slowly fix the earth and create new and better lifeforms.
>>
>>387083543
The problem is the WAU while getting better only has preexisting brain scans to work with, and limited supplies. After Simon trashes the site all it has left to do is mutate sealife. It's accurately described as more of a tumor than a source of hope.

Sealife is still prevelant and the canon web series even shows that whales are still alive. If a creature like a whale can survive the comet impact, that means that nearly the entirety of the planets ocean based biosphere survived, meaning it killed land animals and humans mostly.
>>
>>387070901
Story was good overall, too bad it was wasted in walking simulator.
>>
>>387076920

Deeper than your post, anyhow.
>>
>>387077191

>I may be alone in this, but i just can't take a story seriously when the main character is basically a maid robot with huge swords.

You're not. There's a whole class of people like you, who can't see beyond the surface and who are enamored with the idea of appearing mature. They're called teenagers.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.