[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people think turn based combat is bad? It's great.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: ghosts.jpg (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ghosts.jpg
20KB, 640x480px
Why do people think turn based combat is bad? It's great. It gives you time to actually strategize and plan out how and who you're going to attack. Real time combat sucks because you're forced to act on impulse or else you'll take too much damage
>>
Why do you care what others think
I vastly prefer turn based because party management is the best, dont really enjoy only having control over one character.
>>
it's neo /v/ ADD don't worry about it
>>
Because it's borderline impossible to program in turn based combat that actually requires strategy.

The height of strategy in turn based combat is using moves of an element your opponent is weak to, so either A:
You are told what element they are weak to and it's as simple as doing what you're told like a trained monkey or B
You are not told what element they are weak to and so you go through some bullshit guessing game until you find out, and then spam that, or else just look it up online and follow instructions like a trained monkey.

So generally it's not that hard to figure out what you are supposed to be doing, i.e, getting the most damage from the least amount of time/mp invested considering post battle needs. You'll generally use some variation of the same "strategy" each random encounter. Once you are playing optimally, everything else is handled by a computer you have no control over arbitrarily deciding what happens. You don't hit that enemy in it's weak spot, the game just tells you you got a critical hit. You don't use a dodge roll with i-frames to avoid that attack, the computer just tells you it was dodged. You''re basically playing a skinner box where your "role" in the entire thing could be played by a fairly basic script (because you're going to be using the most damaging move in near all situations, or the debuff with more utility than the opportunity costs), and the gameplay remains fairly constant for a 30 hour + playtime where you can't ignore the fact that this strategy with minor variations depending on enemy weakness will always kill an enemy quicker than a "varied" approach.

Turn based combat objectively sucks, but people just love skinner boxes. Anyone who thinks there's one iota of strategy in most of those games really needs to take a look at anyone else running it, and realise it's no different for themselves.
>>
when you're out on the streets or some soldier you have to think on your feet (think while sitting on a chair/couch/bed in this case of video games). kids don't want that jrpg shit, also doesn't really make you feel like you are doing something if you just press 2 buttons a turn
>>
>>387065709
I hope this is pasta
If you want strategy go play chess, nobody plays turn based games to feel smart
>>
>>387065709
>i've never played an XCOM or Final Fantasy Tactics game

just admit that you're a moron who thinks all turn-based games are 1v1 rock paper scissors games because you've only played basic bitch entry level RPGs
>>
>>387065709
>element

Oh look found the FF babby
>>
File: Capture.png (14KB, 142x60px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14KB, 142x60px
>>387064639
>people should like what i like
no
now kys
>>
>>387064639
Turn based is good when it doesn't rely too much on RNG
>>
>>387064639
>Real time combat sucks
Nah but I can't get into ATB games at all.
>>
>>387068152
that's not what he said. He said "why do people think this is bad? This is why I think it's good"
>>
>>387066087
No but they're all the same also, with a minor variation being added. It's still mostly just obvious moves along with risk management with the computer arbitrarily making the actual meaningful decisions, not the player.
Final Fantasy Tactics especially is ridiculously low on strategy.
>>387066185
Element can mean any characteristic. Anything can be an element, gun, slash, stab, crush, etc. The fact that your mind went for the basic "Fire Ice etc," when you hear element is your own babbiness shining through.
>>
Turn based is best when you have a small time limit for each action
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.