[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever fallen for a vidya scam? Have you ever successfully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 17

File: ur_brother.png (151KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ur_brother.png
151KB, 1600x900px
Have you ever fallen for a vidya scam?
Have you ever successfully scammed someone else?
>>
No, because I'm not an idiot. And no, because I'm not an asshole.
>>
File: thanks, jessica.jpg (305KB, 1920x1080px)
thanks, jessica.jpg
305KB, 1920x1080px
>>387040962
Should cheating, scamming and griefieng in online video games be a criminal offence?
>>
>>387041160
Depends entirely on the game. Cheating is never permissible, but scamming and griefing are fine in a lot of situations. Look at EVE.
>>
>>387041160

Scamming is basically fraud. That already is illegal.
>>
File: 1476337615544.jpg (319KB, 1280x720px)
1476337615544.jpg
319KB, 1280x720px
>Steam friend says he'll make an effort to talk to me and be my friend if I buy him a game
>do so
>he doesn't
>this happens with another person as well (I know I was retarded)
Making friends is just impossible for some people.
>>
>>387041160
if there's real money involved scamming probably should be illegal and griefing only if it's actual stalking. cheating should just be bannable
>>
Only scam I ever pulled off was due to a retarded kid initiating it. He wanted to get a certain helmet in Halo Reach I had and thought that people that had it worked for Bungie. I told him I could give him access to it for a $20 Xbox card. He fell for it, gave me the code then I blocked him.
>>
Yeah, I fell for a scam.
I won't go into much detail, because it shames me to this day. All I'll say is that I lost my wow account, irreversibly. But I guess we need to learn these things one way or the other.
>>
>>387041634
Hey that sounds terrible, I'll be your friend if you buy me PUBG
>>
>>387041726
Tell the story my man, there's no shame here.
>>
>>387041664
>scamming for virtual currency
>"REEEEEEEEEE THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. MUMMY, THEY STOLE MY GOLD!
>>
>>387041160
Depends on the game, though younger people can learn from such experiences.
>>
>>387040962
I know a bunch of people that got game-scammed out of, i shit you not, multiple hundreds an in one case thousandS of dollars by a guy named Chris Roberts
>>
>>387041634
>"lol, what a total retard"
>"but maybe i can actually get him to buy me a free game..."
>>
I got scammed out of some black chainmail in runescape when I was like 14.

I "scammed" a bunch of people in eve online but it was really just posting containers named to look like items on the old escrow system to see if anyone would buy them without clicking "show info" to see if they were actually what they said they were.
>>
File: Runescape-logo.jpg (9KB, 330x190px) Image search: [Google]
Runescape-logo.jpg
9KB, 330x190px
>>387040962
A long time ago when I was still a child, some asshole switched a rune scimmy for mithril and I clicked too fast.
>>
>>387041634
I'll be your friend if you'll buy me Stardew Valley
>>
>>387040962
I used to sam the shit out of people back in Runescape. I didn't actually play the game, but man it was so easy. It probably is still. Bunch of young morons in that game.
>>
I've known people that have sold their wow and diablo accounts for upwards of $500 then took them back after a few months. To be fair they were bought for girlfriends of players and they only ever logged a handful of hours before outright quitting
>>
>>387041848
In-game and real life money and items are often basically the same thing.
>>
>>387041958
>>387041760
you funny

I kill you last
>>
I usually gift people games and delete them from the friend list, to fuck with them.
>>
>>387041848
but I specifically said if there's real money involved
>>
File: LeClapMan.jpg (26KB, 202x243px) Image search: [Google]
LeClapMan.jpg
26KB, 202x243px
Back in the day a friend and me did a trade scam in diablo 2:

>Make 2 barbarians and name them 'NOOB' and 'N0OB'
>Install trade scam software
>Offer to sell windforce for low price (some mid tier runes)
>Moron joins ur game
>Character NOOB moves to trade, puts windforce into trade screen, cancels the trade and exits the game (While the trade screen is blocking the buyers map vision the character N0OB moves up to the 3rd player)
>N0OB opens trade window with 3rd player, the Windforce shown before by character NOOB is now showing as duplicate in the trade screen
>Make trade, buyer gets nothing you get runes
>>
>>387042225
See
>>387041887
>>
>>387040962
I fell for the starcitizen meme
>>
>>387041956
I used to scam people all day in runescape, in the end my brother lost most of my money from getting scammed. runescape is a vicious place
>>
File: gz.jpg (40KB, 368x586px) Image search: [Google]
gz.jpg
40KB, 368x586px
I scammed someone on /v/ before. I had a spare copy of MGS GZ on Steam and made a thread asking if anybody wanted it. Someone replied with a picture of a few games in their inventory and asked which I wanted, we did the trade but I don't have all that faggot shit on my phone so the trade got held for however many days and the anon suggested just gifting eachother the games to get around it. He gifted first, I got Mad Max for free and never played it.
>>
I've scammed neets on /v/ by pretending to be a girl on the internet. Of my 200+ games on steam I've bought all of 5 I think
>>
File: This is not okay.png (282KB, 853x480px)
This is not okay.png
282KB, 853x480px
I used to scam people in diablo 2, phantasy star online, and Phantasy star universe.

An overwhelming majority of scams are just like, oh this person has no idea what things cost and they want something so im going to pretend that the thing he wants is worth a shit ton. But sometimes...

>Playing diablo 2, dismantling my amazon to gear up a wizard
>Trading my buriza for a lidless wall
>Dude immediately regrets that he gave me his lidless wall for a buriza.
>Tell him that if he wants his lidless wall back he has to carry my wizard through act 5 hell.
>We're doing act 5 hell and we get stuck
>Get on my amazon, tell him to let me borrow my buriza real quick and ill do this part with my amazon
>He gives me back my buriza
>Leave.
>>
>>387041794
Yeah.. why not.
>be 13 or 14
>friends are playing new game called wow
>first foray into online gaming
>make account, spend pocket money on gamecards
>get to around level 55 playing a warlock
>guy whispers me saying he'd like to trade accounts because he wants a warlock
>he's got a paladin and mage at level 60
>trade goes through just fine
>we change passwords and it's all good
For some dumb reason I thought trading accounts was a pretty normal and regular thing to do. Scam wasn't even in my vocabulary. Everyone is obviously honest and trustworthy.
So I thought I would leverage my new 2 character account for a rogue
>I advertised in trade and a guy whispers me immediately
>he gives me a fake password
>locks me out of new account
Couldn't retrieve the account because the guy I originally traded bought the account from his friend, and he didn't know his email address.

So yeah, that's one of those regretful moments that makes your stomach turn everytime you happen to think about it.
>>
>>387040962
As a kid I said I would cut gems for people in Runescape, someone traded me an uncut sapphire and I logged out. I was scared I would be banned so I never did it again
>>
>>387042678
that's not even scamming, you are just a horrible human being....
>>
>>387042678
>Willing to swap a full game for a demo
>>
>>387042902
You're absolute scum fyi
>>
>>387042902
Wow, you're a real piece of shit.
>>
nah im not a piece of shit
im sure plenty of pieces of shits from reddit up in here gonna confess how much cancer they are. no surprise.
>>
>>387042902
PSO version 1 was like the goddamn wild west.

>Got it half way through its life.
>People duping stuff was rampant since stuff was stored on your VMU, not the server.
>Action Replay cheat devices were rampant
>People would PK people for loot.
>Another really fucked up thing was NOLing people, which was basically overwriting their character with a useless NPC.
>Tried to play legit for a long time.
>Got hit constantly with PKing, and got NOL'd three times.
>Got upset and bought a Action Replay and started to PK people and fake like I could dupe so I could get rare items (Never NOL'd people, that was too far).

To be fair, Sonic Team was full of idiots and didn't know what the fuck they were doing when they launched PSO, and had no way of patching it. I'm amazed that they got so little flack for something that would be considered a absolute disaster today.
>>
Only got scammed once when I was a kid playing neopets. Saw an advertisement for a site that could double your neopoints and give you a bunch of free fairies and items. Just had to give them your password...

I've never trusted another human since.
>>
>>387041634
i'll be your friend pro bono
>>
>>387045725
pls no bono
>>
Never been scammed as far as i remember. If i did it must been a really small thing.
I already scammed some people on shitty games with AH
>Get shitty rare vendor trash with pretty name
>Put it on AH for a retarded price
>Spam the chat that you want to buy it for an even more retarded price
>Eventually someone will buy it trying to make it a quick buck, and i log off.
>>
I never got scammed once personally, I did rip off 2 WoW accounts when the battle.net merge happened during WotLK though
>>
File: 1498700760682.jpg (111KB, 400x600px)
1498700760682.jpg
111KB, 400x600px
>>387040962
I once scammed two kids out of their hats in Tf2. I traded them 2 weapons per hat.
>>
>>387041634
you realize that friendship is not something that can be bought, right?
>>
>>387047095
>>
I sold an mmo account through playerauctions for several hundred dollars, and a few months after I recovered it by talking to the customer
>>
>>387040962
Had one time when could screw someone over very good if wanted.

>2d fallout based fan made mmo
>have probably highest lockpicking of all players (because such high wasn't that useful)
>some guy lost key to his car
>ask around in a central hub about people with high lockpicking
>I volounteer
>he leads me to his camp
>i unlock car after first try, but since it was my first experiance with car I click it to see if it's unlocked
>this causes my character to get into car and drive away
>can't go back to that guy's camp because you either need map or be someone to lead you in
>drive car to one of my camps
>install superhard lock on it
>go back to hub
>find guy, lead him to my camp and give him car
>he so happy I didn't stole it that he gives me tons of caps
>>
File: 1501901482485.jpg (207KB, 960x768px)
1501901482485.jpg
207KB, 960x768px
>>387047735
Unironically cool story.
>>
>>387040962
some fucking korean hacker used my steam identity to try to scam a guy out of a Max Head in TF@, it ruined my rep on tf2rep and now i cant fucking buy or sell anything on marketplace or scrapyard

im still pissed 6 year later
>>
>>387040962
I got a 6 buds unusual (120 keys at the time) for a machina in tf2 (which is 0.05 refined, and keys were like 8 ref then)
>>
>>387041634
I'll be your friend for free, anon.
>>
>>387048106
>Getting hacked
You literally have nobody to blame for this but yourself.
>>
>be 13
>have shitty SRCDS tf2 server
>this was back when tf2 was bearable
>run 24/7 trade unusual island
>crappy server, no one ever playing
>all time high of 15 people
>'randomdudename (TRADING UNUSUALS) ' has joined server
>i guess i come off as trustworthy because im the owner
>ask him about his unusuals, he shows me
>dude is fucking loaded
>im a fucking poorfag so i hatch a simple scam
>ask to buy his scorching flames pillar of hats for 300 paypal
>he agrees, takes screenshots so i dont scam him
>he goes first and i get the hat
>unplug router
>sell hat on some website for 230$
>dude still has the screenshot of the trade from all those years ago on his profile

still feel a bit shitty to be honest. wasn't worth it

im sorry mr pfoot i'll pay u back after my lawsuit clears
>>
Purchasing edge of space aka edge of shit on steam counts, right?
>>
>>387048853
>feeling bad for tf2 scams
i bought so much shit on steam with all the pixels i got from tf2
>>
The only thing I did was destroy any MMORPGs world market by selling rare or expensive items/ gear for cheap and with quanity so it would force other players to sell for cheaper until those items became worthless.

You can thank me later for making your market plunge.
>>
>>387048648
>"""""hacked"""""
phishing isn't hacking
>>
>>387049486
>he fell for a phishing scam
Son that just makes you even more retarded.
>>
>>387049550
who are you quoting?
>>
>>387044661
I miss Neopets. I never did get a cybunny, but I love me some aisha.
>>
When I was a bored high schooler, I used to catfish guys into giving me tons of shit on steam. I would just make a dating profile around the time of the Summer Sale and bait desperate betas into buying me shit. It's was great.
>>
>>387045725
>>387048269
Why would you want to be friends with some loser who can't make friends on his own?
>>
>>387042115
can you fuck with me please
>>
>>387040962
>tf2
>get unusual from someone
>they say they can swap it out to something else
>take the hat and run
>>
File: 1473433269009.jpg (191KB, 1280x986px)
1473433269009.jpg
191KB, 1280x986px
>>387049987
Because I'm also a loser that can't make friends on his own, and this gives me an opportunity to make one.
>>
I scammed a ton of idiotic Nintendo kids when those 3DS smash bros demos came out. got a lot of free cash and games from that. The begging threads were amazing
>>
I posted a random pair of tits on /v/ on 3 separate occasions now to get people to buy me games.
>>
File: 1473315231386.png (467KB, 432x653px) Image search: [Google]
1473315231386.png
467KB, 432x653px
>>387042678
Holy shit I know you. I was in that thread.

Fuck you. Hope you die.
>>
>>387040962
No
Thought about scamming people in EVE, but I can't be arsed to spam Jita local 23.5/7
>>
>>387040962
I lost my steam account temporarily ages ago so I guess I'd call that a scam, some guy copied a friend of mines name from Xfire and messaged me about borrowing my steam account. I was a naive teenage at the time so I was dumb enough to do it. I ended up getting my account back by sending valve a picture of my product key from my boxed copies of CS 1 Anthology and Half Life 2. Good lesson learned I guess because ever since I've refused to ever provide my password for anything to someone.

I think I got scammed on Runescape by someone "trimming armor" once as well.
>>
>>387040962

When I was in highschool I had an online friend I knew from elsewhere that gave me hacks for APB

I realize hacking is bade but APB is bad and I loved listening to people scream at me on mic when I bean bag them and arrest them

Anyways he linked me more hacks later so I wasn't suspicious, clicked it, long story short I lost my steam account for a week.

Apparently he had fallen for it as well, and the person just sends the same message to everyone on the freshly jacked account's friendslist.
>>
>>387050530
I've got a few nudes from erp partners and a folder full of my ex girlfriend, but I'd feel bad doing that with pictures I shouldn't share. Any good place to find tits that can't be reverse image searched?
>>
>>387050870
Go on Omegle and bait a girl into showing you hers, record it and then use snipping tools or whatever to take screenshots of the tits.
>>
File: 1483905723789.jpg (60KB, 639x609px) Image search: [Google]
1483905723789.jpg
60KB, 639x609px
>christmas 2011
>over at cousins house
>we're both around 14
>he shows me his gaming pc
>we both love tf2
>he starts playing, telling me about the new unusuals
>shows me one that he has
i don't remember it really, but it was a flaming something or other
>go to be, thinking about how cool the hat is
>realize i could just trade it from his game to mine when he was asleep
>wake up next morning before everyone else
>take my laptop and open tf2
>join an empty server and trade
>fuckingamazing.jpg
>he doesn't notice all day, busy doing other shit
>leave next day
>5 states now separating us
>play tf2 a bit but get bored rather quickly
>about 2 weeks after the incident mom gets a call from sister
>mom comes into my room
>'anon ms cousin anons mom is on the phone, she says cousin anon is crying about something, saying you stole from him? he's really upset.'
>our moms don't even sound angry because they really don't know what the fuck he's talking about, must've not explained 'magic internet hats' very well.
>tell her its just some dumb thing from a game and i didnt think he'd care about also that i can't give it back anyways
>mom laughs because the concept seemed silly. she doesn't give a fuck because it didn't sound like i really stole anything
>moms talk to eachother, my mom keeps saying its no big deal and and its not like i stole something real
>other mom cools down a bit, agrees that it doesn't make much sense. says she'll talk to cousinanon

i do appreciate the defense mother but you don't need to because in reality i'm a piece of shit and it's all my fault
>>
>>387040962
Yeah, I kickstartered Planetary Annihilation.

I just really wanted another Supreme Commander.
>>
File: 1502596398338.jpg (13KB, 228x206px)
1502596398338.jpg
13KB, 228x206px
>>387051191
>wow cool cousin anon is visiting
>i cant wait to play some vidya with him and show him my awesome hat
>man anon is such a cool guy
And then you fucked it and stole the hat
Fuck you
You are evil
>>
>>387051441

In this world it's kill or be killed

Also you should always keep an eye on your shit all the time
>>
>>387040962
Minecraft. I'm thankful I learned my lesson so early, really
>>
>>387040962
A million years ago I was playing everquest as a vah'shir. A guy once lent me very expensive heavy shoulders so we could see what heavy armor looked like on my race.

different time online I guess.
>>
My one and only time was when I scammed someone with trimming armor
>>
>>387040962
On TF2, yeah.
>join Valve servers or those premium servers full of kids just DMing each other
>scan their inventories to see if any of them had any hats
>ask to trade them
>"hey what's your favourite class?"
>give them a few weapons for their favourite class
>they give me their hat

It was kind of an asshole-ish thing to do, but I don't think they realized they were getting scammed either.
A shitty cosmetic hat in exchange for a bunch of cool new weapons? Definitely a win in their eyes.
>>
>>387040962

I have scammed for pretty much half of my life, but only in digital runescape currency.

basically, I would advertise I would trade runescape for TF2 items and make them go first.

then log off
>>
>>387047735
>Sorry, I accidentally drove off with your car
>>
>>387051523
>Says the NEET waiting for his monthly tugboat.
>>
I donated 20 dollars to Mighty Number Nine, does that count?
>>
>>387052919
As much as people like to meme otherwise, MN9 wasn't a deliberate attempt at fucking people over. It was just pure and simple incompetence and mismanagement.
>>
>>387051892
What's the point of having a hat when you can play with new different weapons.
It's more like you scammed yourself.
>>
You guys will probably say "that happened" but this is my only scamming story.

>make a friend in runescape 2005 through the castle minigame
>manage to get enough lobbies to buy that shitty green god armor
>thinking I'm hot as shit
>tell friend about my new armor
>he ask if he can try it on and will give it back to me
>give it to him because I'm an idiot
>ask if he will give it back
>he doesn't
>says he will give it back tomorrow
>I keep asking about it
>keeps pushing it back
>get depressed
>quit for a week
>found out you can make more gold by server hopping and reselling items at higher value
>spend weeks doing this
>I'm literally drowning in gold
>get full dragon and abyssal whip at extremely low levels and still drowning in jew gold
>faggot friend whispers me later asking what I'm up to
>tell him that I got full dragon and whatnot
>he is surprised, said that he would like to try it on and will give back my shitty green god rune armor back
>tell him I can get him the abyssal whip if he follows me to the wilderness to kill the guy that drops it
>he does
>kill him, get some of my shit back
>screams profanities at me

Fucking worth it. About 5 years later I sold my runescape account to some kid for $80. I had a 3 of the dragon hats on that account, I remember reading they were worth a lot. Damn that was 12 years ago, I was 12.
>>
>>387055731
So you're 26 now?
>>
>>387055973
Yes times flies. Graduated college, got a girlfriend, got /fit/ and still shit post on /v/.
>>
File: 1497982444618.jpg (49KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1497982444618.jpg
49KB, 300x300px
>>387055973
>26
he is 24???
>>
>>387048853
>>dude still has the screenshot of the trade from all those years ago on his profile

POST IT FAG
>>
>>387041061
But, I mean, you ARE an idiot though. Why'd you lie?
>>
>>387041160
As far as I'm concerned, if you willingly trade your own items to someone and don't get what you wanted out of it, that's on you. If someone phishs or hacks you to get them, then yeah, it should be potentially criminal (depending on the offense, number of victims and means of doing it).

Scamming, griefing and cheating in games should only be bannable via the rules of whatever respective game they're in.
>>
>>387056612
>>
File: 1336481385901.png (19KB, 291x317px) Image search: [Google]
1336481385901.png
19KB, 291x317px
The only times I've been scammed are humble bundle threads on /v/ where people want to trade keys.
Luckily the keys are cheap and the ones I'm trading away are games I have no interest in anyway so I don't feel too bad when it happens.
>>
>>387057792
>TF2 trading
hasnt been the same since they required phones, how do i trade without a phone??
>>
>>387058009

I gave some guy rocket league and hotline miami 1 and 2 and he took the keys and ran.

I got those for pretty much free though and I felt at least someone got to use them rather than them sitting in a text file.
>>
>>387058249
That's pretty much how I feel, I wasn't going to use them anyway, none of my friends want them and I don't care about a few dollars I can make from g2a and whatever.
However if there's one game out of a really shitty bundle I want I usually try to find a trade for it.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.