[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So like my fiance got me dark imperium for our anniversary. its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: Warhammer_88a4df_118359.jpg (36KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer_88a4df_118359.jpg
36KB, 500x382px
So like my fiance got me dark imperium for our anniversary. its my first step in warhammer, ive been meaning to dig in awhile ago but no time and money.

Im loving it so far but i hear not so great things about the video game. Which games should i stay clear of and which ones are actually hype

I am currently downloading Dawn of War 1, what should i expect?
>>
>>387018516
>games should i stay clear of
Just Dawn of War 3 for now.
>>
>>387018895
>This

And maybe Deathwing (At least until is finished)
>>
>>387018516
It's easier to say what's good over what's bad.

DOW 1, every DOW1 expansion EXCEPT Soulstorm, DOW2, every DOW2 expansion EXCEPT Retribution, and Battlefleet Gothic are the good ones that came out after 2000.

Beyond that, the mediocre ones are Space Hulk, DOW1 Soulstorm, DOW2 Retribution, Space Marine, and Death Wing.

Truly bad ones are most mobile games.Like that fucking lane game, and the side scrolling beat 'em ups, and the twin stick shooters. Also avoid that X-Com ripoff Deathwatch.
>>
>>387019438
this except space marine is good
>>
>>387019438
I liked Space Hulk...
>>
File: 1416471288333.gif (2MB, 817x537px) Image search: [Google]
1416471288333.gif
2MB, 817x537px
>>387018516
The mod Ultimate Apocalypse for DoW1 SS is one of the greatest experiences I've had in video games, let alone 40k.

However, I don't enjoy a lot of the changes brought in the 1.8 The Hunt Begins update. I highly recommend using 1.73.9, the last version before THB.

You can find it here:

>http://www.moddb.com/mods/ultimate-apocalypse-mod/downloads

Earth-shaker platforms, an upgrade for free conscripts, walls, all the Russ and baneblade variants - this is the absolute best mod for IG in existence.
>>
>>387021525
I've heard about a mod for Dark Crusade that's also pretty good. Is this better then that one? I can't remember the name
>>
>>387021619
There are a few good mods out there for DC and SS both. Personally, UA 1.73.9 is my absolute unchallenged favorite.
>>
>>387021730
Thanks Anon. Downloading it as we speak
>>
>>387021730
What did they change in UA that you don't like?
>>
>>387021758
Neato. Prepare to have serious fun. Don't forget to get the tyranid mod, since they do a pretty great job with them.

One word of caution: enabling nukes (superweapons) is all cool and fun, but don't enable it if fighting multiple teams (for example, 2v2v2v2 ib Jalaganda Lowlands). A weird glitch has every enemy team target Team 1 (you), which is unbearably frustrating.
>>
>>387021891
>A weird glitch has every enemy team target Team 1 (you), which is unbearably frustrating.
Referring to nukes. The gameplay otherwise is entirely normal.
>>
>>387021865
not him but I'm beyond pissed they removed the Plaguereaper Baneblade for Chaos
>>
>>387021865
In 1.8? A few things, particularly involving IG and necrons, which is what I tend to play.

First and foremost, they made IG extremely OP. If you can get the basilisk magnus out, it's basically GG. The changes to walls was stupid. The garrison additions were cool, but too weak for what they were supposed to do. Likewise, conscripts were weakened to the point of uselessness except for absorbing fire, which you would constantly use them for.

For that matter, most units were changed to becoming entirely expendable, and only late-game heavy hitters ended up mattering in THB. Which is frustrating since it takes time to flush out infantry squads with units and weapons, only to instigib in a milisecond without firing.

Then necrons. The sentry guns and the "base is immune to ranged attacks" effect are so freaking stupid. The latter especially. Two basilisk magnuses and constant earth-shaker pounding can wipe out bases in a few seconds, if I'm allowed to get that far. Against necrons? Nothing. Only melee will make any dent in their buildings, despite everything else being dead. Yet trying to send in your only strong melee, ogryn, even if sent in waves of 50 to 100, they also instigib like most infantry and make frustratingly little headway.

This makes eliminating a necron base, after their obvious actual defeat, take almost half an hour. Stupid and frustrating, especially since they are one of the best factions to fight against otherwise.
>>
File: qsxj9xk562yy.jpg (63KB, 540x634px) Image search: [Google]
qsxj9xk562yy.jpg
63KB, 540x634px
Good: Dow 1, Battlefleet Gothic

Mediocre: Dow 2, Spess muhreen, Space Hulks

Trash: basically everything else. There's unfortunately alot of garbage 40k games.
Buy dow1 with the expansions on sale and that's all you need to get into the setting. Get it on sale cuz they still charge 40 bucks on steam for all 4 packages. It's a great game though. One of the best rts games ever made. Dow 2 is a step down but still has good stuff. Dow 3 is trash.
>>
File: 1390286078262.jpg (473KB, 1280x1987px) Image search: [Google]
1390286078262.jpg
473KB, 1280x1987px
>>387022654
I enjoy DoW3 more than vanilla DW2, desu.

For skirmishes, that is. DoW2's campaigns are its only redeeming factor.
>>
File: dawn of war.png (3MB, 1624x2423px) Image search: [Google]
dawn of war.png
3MB, 1624x2423px
>>387018516
>>
Armageddon is ok if your into turn based hex games.
>>
>>387021525
>Ultimate Apocalypse
No
>>
>>387024564
>Ultimate Apocalypse
Yes
>>
>>387024582
No, shit mod made by retards who have no idea how RTS games work, removes all skill and strategy from the game in favor of just mindlessly spamming shit for 3 hours till you get the "i win" upgrade, all early game removed because "rushing is cheap" map control is non existent, utter garbage.

Only the most casual retard would recommend such an awful pile of shit, avoid at all cost.
>>
>>387023794
Your image made me gag
Soulstorm is only good because of UA.
Dark Crusade was the last good vanilla dow
& winter assault has the best campaign by far.
>>
File: 1438749480694.jpg (432KB, 867x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1438749480694.jpg
432KB, 867x1300px
>>387024810
Hey, that sounds a lot like everything I hate about the THB update, as complained about in >>387022236.
>>
>>387024918
"dawn of war.jpg" is the oldest bait in the duration of 40k threads on /v/. Good job taking the nibble.
>>
>>387024918
This is bait
>>
File: contrarian.png (111KB, 748x546px) Image search: [Google]
contrarian.png
111KB, 748x546px
>>387024918
>>
>>387025087
Now THIS is bait
>>
>>387024918
DoW1: Vanilla
Classic squad based RTS game utilizing cover with a heavy focus on map control, agression and micromanagment. A solid game, had some balance problems and hickups along the way but most of it got ironed out throught the games lifespan.

Winter Assault
Released in a very poor rushed out state, game was clearly unfinished, was extremly buggy with units shooting in melee and various other game breaking glitches. Not bad when Relic got round to fixing it though.

Dark Crusade
HORRIBLE game, some of the worst balance in any RTS game to date, random changes for no rhyme or reason, extremly buggy, was absolutley hated by the community, fire on the move bug crippled the game and online was plagued with connection problems that would drop people from games mid match and rampant hacking. Relic promised a patch was coming but it never happened.

Soulstorm
Fixed many of the problems with DC, saved the DoW1 community which was on its deathbed after the mess that was DC, had a few minor problems on launch but not as bad as WA or DC and they were patched out with updates, best balance out of all the DoW games. Still has an active community that plays the game regularly online stood the test of time, great game. Currently the most played DoW game.
>>
>>387024918
Even though you're replying to bait, I'll reply seriously.

Vanilla Dark Crusade was not a good game. I could nearly always kill an enemy AI player by marching my first necron warrior squad into their base at game start and hold it there until I killed them. For multiplayer, the game was hilariously unbalanced towards eldar, which was entirely unfun.

Soulstorm, in comparison, had a shit launch filled with gamebreaking bugs that rightfully wiped out its own multiplayer community. However, those bugs were fixed after about a year, and in its current state it is far more balanced than DC ever can be. That said, it's campaign was shit, but that was never a selling point to me anyways.

That's just vanilla. Modded DC and modded SS both have a great variety of mods, depending on what you're looking for.
>>
File: rip dow3.png (412KB, 771x783px) Image search: [Google]
rip dow3.png
412KB, 771x783px
Soulstorm is the best game in the series, theres a reason why its the most played and why it stood the test of time while all other garbage was swept aside.

This is not even up for debate, numbers dont lie.
>>
>>387025394
I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion or if most people never gave it a chance, but the Annihilation update was actually a really good thing. It made DoW3 a hell of a lot more bearable, both with a real gamemode and those delicious turrets.

The only reason I don't play it more is because my PC started crashing from something unknown mid to late game, and I'm waiting for another patch before trying again.

I like DoW3 far more than unmodded DoW2.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.