[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People always talk about about how NPCs in these games all have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

People always talk about about how NPCs in these games all have their own stories that progress as you go through the main storyline. But how does that work exactly? Does that mean massive backtracking through a ton of random encounters just to get back to the towns with these NPCs again? That really doesn't sound all that fun to me, but maybe I'm missing something
>>
It's really not fun and most of the time the NPCs talk about boring shit you have no reason to actually give a fuck about. Not a lot of drama or conflict.
>>
>>387013825
>>387013973
World building is dope.
>>
>>387013825
It really is just minor npcs for the most part so it's nothing major, but it's kinda fun keeping up with whatever is goin on in their lives and how the more recent events have affected them.
>>
>>387013825
At least in the first game, you're limited to where you can travel around and there's a number of events that prompt these changes so the backtracking, while considerable, isn't as big as you're thinking
>>
>>387013825
NPC dialogue changes every time the story progresses which usually gives you a story reason to return to town. Also, this game doesn't have random encounters.
>>
>>387013825
It's just world building. It's not really important to go back and talk to them unless you're invested into them in the first place.
>>
Talking to NPCs is completely optional. It's not even an original concept for JRPGS. It happens to be a particularly noteworthy "feature" in TiTS because Falcom went crazy over-the-top with their attention to detail.

The only painful backtracking is completing all of the side quests and finding all of the books (which are required for the best weapons).
>>
File: Calvard when.png (77KB, 410x458px) Image search: [Google]
Calvard when.png
77KB, 410x458px
Calvard when?
>>
For the large part of the games, you are restricted to one town or area so there are a limited amount of npcs anyways. After every story event and quest (sometimes) npcs dialogue changes relative whatever happened. Don't listen to autists who think you have to talk to every npc every single time something happens, that isn't fun (for most people at least) or necessary. Just keep talking to the npcs you enjoy, if you don't like some just skip them, npcs never really have any information regarding the plot.
>>
File: 1478841272762.png (83KB, 210x181px) Image search: [Google]
1478841272762.png
83KB, 210x181px
>>387014818
>finding all the books
>that one book in FC where you had to backtrack all the way through the tunnel even though there isn't any reason why you would go back in the first place
>>
>>387017629
>the one where you have an incredibly tiny window of going back to talk to Olivier
>>
>>387018830
>walking back and forth between the forts in the Zeiss bit
>>
>>387018937
>everything about Anton's Oddessy

I still feel cheated that the achievement for that glitched and gave it to me the first time I talked to him
>>
>ywn play Trails in the Sky FC for the first time again
It wasn't the most knock out experience ever but goddamn, it was a magical ride that I won't forget. I've been wanting to play it again but replaying any game in the subseries is such a commitment.
>the first time I heard Sophisticated Fight
>Estelle and Joshua on the seaside path overlooking the ocean
>Joshua going FULL EDGE for a second in Ruan
>Olivier
>The first time Silver Will played
>The first time Hollow Light on the Sealed Land played
>>
>>387017629

>that one book where you had to talk to Oliver like 3 times to get it

i always double-checked dialogue but I never triple-checked only to discover IT FUCKED ME
>>
File: 1493828445803.jpg (146KB, 684x980px) Image search: [Google]
1493828445803.jpg
146KB, 684x980px
>>387019463
Its totally worth replaying. There are so many details that you'll realize you didn't pick up on the first time around. The second time is almost as great as the first time around for this reason alone.
Pic related, my face on the second playthrough
What I wouldn't give to play the end of chapter six on SC for the first time again
>>
>>387019954
I still can't fathom how people were able to wait for SC. I was at least able to hop from FC to SC in an instant, same with CS1 and 2.
>>
>>387019463
>>387019954
>>387020026
I can't wait to replay CS/CS II after Sen III hits next month. I've been going through Zero and Ao this summer in prep for it.

I fucking love this series.
>>
File: 1469925942138.jpg (36KB, 216x351px) Image search: [Google]
1469925942138.jpg
36KB, 216x351px
>>387019463
>tfw jogging to Looking Up at the Sky on a warm summer day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqAzKJIr5aQ
>>
>>387020143
Zero was quite the ride too, even with the awkward translation. I couldn't pull through with Ao with the spreadsheet but I heard there was some progress on the actual patch
>>
>>387013825
I'm at the ending of chapter 4 in SC and man
>at some point in time, some chucklefucks got together to decide how the game would go
>then someone gives the idea of an entire chapter based on a fog covering Rolent and having to go through that famous japanese game staple of a maze/illusion forest with rooms that look exactly the same
>then some other guy said "what if we put a chest in one of these rooms, with no clear indication, no clear boundaries so the player can accidentally move to another room while looking for said chest, ramp the fog effects up to eleven so they can't see shit and add an arbitrary number of steps this maze has to be completed in otherwise they'll get less BP at the end of the chapter, and this section can only be done ONCE, so no backtracking to get the chest"
>and everyone at the fucking table agreed that this was a great idea
I'm pissed beyond belief that there are people who thought this was good game design
>>
File: justapinchofsalt.jpg (86KB, 960x866px) Image search: [Google]
justapinchofsalt.jpg
86KB, 960x866px
>>387020343
I know Japanese, I actually went through Zero before the leaked translation. Hence why I'm grabbing Sen III at launch.
>>387020342
>tfw it was the ending theme for the 3rd
>>
File: 1493683509488.png (48KB, 92x187px) Image search: [Google]
1493683509488.png
48KB, 92x187px
>>387020342
I think all three sagas absolutely nailed the overworld themes, Looking Up At the Sky is one of my favorites too. Imagine my absolute joy when I heard the vocal version to finish 3rd with, one of the reasons it's my favorite entry in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3igqS1Ttlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmJUB74bdM
>>387020448
I regret not asking a friend of mine to pick up the EVO versions of Zero and Ao since I'm way better at understanding nip verbally instead of through reading.
>>
Basically any time the story advances most NPCs in the area get their dialogue refreshed. You aren't really expected to talk to every NPC and read every line (unless you're really into that) but it makes the world feel more lively because every time you talk to someone, odds are they'll have something new to say. Usually they have their own little storylines that play out but they're nothing too elaborate, just basic arcs.

It's not for everyone, it's a pretty niche game, I love it but a lot of people probably won't be able to get past how slow it is. That turbo mode they just added might help with that but it's not just a matter of the combat, the story doesn't really have a central thrust to it until about a third of the way into the game, before that it just feels like episodes of a buddy cop show. I would recommend trying it if you like settings that have a very lived in feeling to them. I like to compare it to Gothic though it accomplishes it in a very different way.
>>
File: NPJH50473_00023.jpg (158KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
NPJH50473_00023.jpg
158KB, 960x544px
>>387020343
That's understandable. The current patch is based solely on spreadsheet, so it's mostly only convenient in not having to look back and forth, but still missing non-plot dialogue and has tons of grammar mistakes, misspellings, and programming bugs. The actual patch is apparently still in-progress.

I do plan to replay it eventually, but even with the rough patch, there were still many memorable first time highlights. Like pic related, I don't think any other Trails boss in any of the games has tore my asshole apart as badly as Arianrhod.
>>
>>387020403
With that said, I need help
Where do I go and where do I find the chest
>>
>>387020587
The 3rd's entire ending was 10/10 in general.
>>
>>387020143
>I can't wait to replay CS/CS II
why
>>
>>387020730
3rd's ending was absolutely magical. I played CS2 while 3rd came out and didn't touch it since I was consumed with P5 but goddamn, the whole farewell scene nearly broke me with all the happy emotions.

But Josette left a lot later than the rest which irked me to no end
>>
>>387020621
I found the 5 minute IBC fight much worse than her
>>
>>387020621
is the combat good in these? is it alright to start with zero and not play the earlier ones?
>>
>>387021505
A lot of Zero's impact is lost if Sky hasn't been played.
>>
>>387021863
fuck it then.
>>
>>387021505
If you're an English speaker you're gonna have a real hard time starting with Zero since it's untranslated. Anyway, it's not the first game in any sense, it's the fourth game in the series both in release order and chronological order.

Combat is pretty bad in the first game. Encounter design is improved a lot in the subsequent two games and by Cold Steel the combat is actually pretty fun.
>>
You will never have Trails game with FF15 production value
>>
>>387022048
Bloated budgets aren't always a good thing.
I'd rather have a small budget game with a clear scope.
>>
>playing Trails in the sky late at night with a glass of wine in hand

Is there a better feeling?
>>
>>387022849
I guess that depends on which part you're in. Finishing the bracer stuff before moving on gets a bit annnoying sometimes
>>
>>387022849
>playing Trails in the sky late at night with a glass of wine in hand

>Is there a better feeling?

Yes. Playing with a whole bottle in your hand.
>>
>>387023054
>schera will never drink you under the table
>>
The game is painfully average anyway. Pretty crappy battle system.
>>
Slightly off-topic but not completely. I just finished playing through Sen I, I liked the game but toward the end it the story got really corny and went off into a weird direction. Is Sen II any better in the story department?
>>
>>387024301
>Corny
Elaborate, the ending was probably the best part about CS1
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.