[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the horror genre irredeemable at this point? It's all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

File: puking dog.jpg (116KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
puking dog.jpg
116KB, 720x960px
Is the horror genre irredeemable at this point? It's all the same overused tropes
>jumpscares
>little girls do scary things
>people/humanoid things crawling on all fours
>"The man brutally murdered his entire family..."
>>
File: 1501749340661.jpg (90KB, 918x892px) Image search: [Google]
1501749340661.jpg
90KB, 918x892px
>>387005882
Yes, in both vidya and movies. Which fucking sucks because I love horror.
>inb4 "Horror is fine, you're just jaded!"
>inb4 T U R N Y O U R B R A I N O F F F A M
>>
>>387005882
Would disagree. It's never been better.

Of COURSE you're going to see some of the same stuff. No shit, that's EVERY medium. How many fucking paintings of bowls of fruit do you think exist? You're going to see the easy to make horror stuff. Not every creation needs to be the crème de la crème. Some stuff can be the same story told differently.

For every 10 or 20 Resident Evil 130:Racoon Cart Racing there's [insert game you think is good]. That's just the way creating things works.
>>
BECAUSE I FELT

I H A D TO
>>
>>387005882
So much horror lacks atmosphere.

Power drill massacre had shit gameplay that overused tropes but I was really unsettled and wanting to get the fuck out of the place by any means necessary
>>
>>387006173
>turn your brain off
Seriously though, anyone who unironically says this should kill themselves.
>>
The horror genre in a nutshell
>More FPS mechanics than actually horror mechanics
>Stereotypical Cult Background
>Repetitive story
You know what was an amazing horror game...Dead Space (1st one)
Had amazing balance of FPS and horror mechanics
>>
>>387006369
>for every 10 or 20 bad horror games, there's one good one
disappointing desu
>>
>>387005882
dog is sick?
>>
Honestly I think VR is saturating the horror genre. Amateur developers are just shitting out youtube bait, unity based trash to make a quick buck.

I wish I knew how to program a game so i could do the same desu.
>>
I really liked Alien:Isolation. No cheap jumpscares, nice atmosphere and gameplay.

More games could be like it. Seems underrated on /v/
>>
>>387006369
Well if more horror games are getting made then of course there will be more total horror games that are decent. But is the industry really better if it's just bigger? I also can't think of any recent horror games in that were groundbreaking or did something really unique.
>>
>>387006173
The Witch is the last good horror movie that came out but most plebs called the movie boring because it lacked jump scares and gore. Even horror movies got the RE5/6 treatment nowadays.
>>
>>387006369
You didn't even have the balls to list a good horror game because you knew it would get shot down, so you left it to the imagination.

That kind of tentative sleight of hand pretty much assures me that you're wrong.
>>
>>387007337
Because no matter what he picked somebody would pop into the thread and say that its shit, remember where you are.
>>
>>387007337
Because horror is incredibly subjective. I actually really like horror/comedy. RE4 is one of my favorite games, Tucker and Dalve Vs Evil and Cabin in the Woods my favorite horror movies and I know those aren't everyones.

>>387007124

I thought Outlast was a solid horror game, with more green penis than I thought there'd be, but a nice short one. Alien: Isolation was a fantastic play as well, and that's recent. Otherwise also enjoy eternal darkness, which was the best Not-lovecraft lovecraftian game if you consider Gamecube to be "recent"
>>
im in the mood for a good horror movie tonight, any recommendations for something recent? i liked The Witch but havent really seen anything else that caught my attention
>>
>>387005882
Stop buying mediocre PT ripoffs. Go read some Lovecraft or Junji Ito shorts if you want different. The problem with horror movies and games is a lot of them don't know how to execute on the aspects that matter most to horror fans.
If the story has violence
>Capitalize on the gore detail
If the story is meant to be more atmospheric
>Set the mood with or without music
Jump scares i'm not entirely against like some morons, but I gotta admit they're used way too much these days.
>>
what if you make a horror game but the horror is based entirely on suspense and there is no monster just ambient sounds and darkness and you'd only find out at the end?
>>
>>387007454
If someone says good modern RPGs don't exist, I'm gonna have the balls to say I that I liked Divinity: Original Sin, and I'm gonna do that because I know I can defend it from criticism coherently and explain its good points.

That guy didn't, because he drew a blank on modern horror that did it right. Should just name some fucking games.
>>
>>387007652
the audition. japanese horror. dont read anything about it beforehand
>>
File: Ha.jpg (20KB, 512x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ha.jpg
20KB, 512x523px
>>387005882
I get the impression you're one of those faggots that watches a horror movie/plays a horror game and just spends the entire time trying to convince people that "It isn't even scary"
>>
>>387005882
I always feel bad for the pupper in this picture
>>
>>387007652
Check out The void if you dig eldritch horror.
>>
>>387006950
Nah he's fine he's having fun.
>>
>>387007821
on it, thanks friendo

>>387007906
checking that out for later
>>
File: pkqbgmb34duknfedbrwr.png (691KB, 1029x763px) Image search: [Google]
pkqbgmb34duknfedbrwr.png
691KB, 1029x763px
RE7 and Alien Isolation were awesome Horror games in the last 5 years.
Horror games can still be good we just more of them.
>>
>>387008236
Don't forget outlast 2
>>
>>387005882
oh my god that poor dog ;-;
>>
File: tallwoman.jpg (10KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tallwoman.jpg
10KB, 400x300px
>>387008352
Fuck no Outlast 2 was dog shit.
And I liked Outlast 1.
>>
>>387008610
Outlast 2 was way better than part 1.
>Has more than 1 fucking location throughout the game
>More enemy variety
>Better graphics
>Obvious path isn't so obvious this time around
>>
>>387007278
jesus christ how delusional
The Witch and people who didn't like doesn't give a fuck about jumpscares/gore
>>
>>387008236
>Alien Isolation
This game is frustrating me so much... I don't feel spooked but that's not the main problem.
I only played for an hour and feels pretty tedious, like all you have to do is "talk with X" or "repair X" (while avoiding robots and the alien)
I think it's pretty cool that the map is big and doesn't hold your hand, but that would be better if I had any will to explore, I just don't.
>>
File: 61814831_p1_master1200.jpg (349KB, 1200x943px) Image search: [Google]
61814831_p1_master1200.jpg
349KB, 1200x943px
>>387008753
>Has more than 1 fucking location throughout the game
Only the school was kind of interesting the whole village sucked ass as it was boring and too damn dark with no interesting locations.
>More enemy variety
No it didn't Every asshole you came across did was run at you and kill you.
>Better graphics
Eh I guess.
>Obvious path isn't so obvious this time around
You know that's not good right? being lost and dying is not fun.
>>
>>387009139
>>Obvious path isn't so obvious this time around
>You know that's not good right? being lost and dying is not fun.
dumb
>>
File: Mosh.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
Mosh.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>387009139
>Being lost and dying is not fun
Sorry you suck dick at real horror scenarios?
You think in real life there will be a lit up path for you when you're facing some crazy shit?
>"Run at you and kill you"
As if the 1st one was WAY different kek.
Get the fuck off my internet.
>>
File: sh3.webm (3MB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
sh3.webm
3MB, 800x480px
>>387006430
>>
>>387009369
that fucking gif

>sh2_mannequin_enemy.gif
>>
>>387009562
Underrated
>>
>>387009139
Outlast 2 was just way scarier imo.
>oh be careful little eyes what you see.
>>
>>387007826
i get that impression from every horror thread that comes up. /v/ is not the place to talk about horror.
>>
>>387005882

Just finished SOMA at the instant. its good, good horror athmosphere, level design , story. would recommend.
also if the gameplay tend to be like the first amnesia, the deep horror abyss thing seems original for me. got a bioshock vibe but tend to be really different in environment. close spaces or deep sea area when you actually fear for your life and the horror in the dark.
>>
>>387008610
Man fuck that bitch in Fatal Frame 5.

>"What the fuck is that shit"
>"Goddamn that's a huge bitch"
>"She's huge that's mean she's slow"
>she's not

And don't get me started on that security camera segment.
>>
>>387006795

Sturgeon's law, man. Most of everything is garbage.
>>
>>387005882
I feel like the only way to save the horror genre is to not make a horror game.

Hear me out. I always feel that you don't really feel all that frightened when playing a horror game because you KNOW that it's a horror game. You just know that at some point something spooky is going to happen. You know what's going to happen when you walk pass that door in the hallway. You know what is going to happen when you walk pass that corpse. You know what is going to happen when you are done solving that puzzle and turns around. The only thing you don't know is when, but other than that you know that a scare is coming up one time or the other.

I feel more tension when I play a game that isn't horror yet something unexpected happens.
>>
>>387007278
That movie sucked ass jumpscares or no. The babadok had none and so do it follows and everyone I know loves those movies
>>
>>387009139
D-Do not harm the Akarin! You are the real monster here.
>>
>>387010715
Although you're 100% correct that isn't the formula for good horror. That's just what it takes because human minds are flawed as fuck and everyone acts like they're tough shit.
>>
>>387006659
They'd certainly be turning their brains off then.
>>
>>387007048
Alien Isolation was fucking great, the only problems were the cliffhanger and how by the end of the game you can only ward off the Alien for a few seconds before it reappears.
>>
>>387005882
More info on the pic?
>>
>>387007821
>>387008029
doubt you're still in this thread but im almost a hour into the audition its been decent so far. i cant tell if the dialogue is just really weird or the translation im watching is trash, but i really like the tone and atmosphere of the movie
does it just like turn into a psychological yandare
>>
File: 1502590272100.gif (3MB, 238x333px) Image search: [Google]
1502590272100.gif
3MB, 238x333px
>>387012559
its all real friend
>>
>>387007643
>I thought Outlast was a solid horror game, with more green penis than I thought there'd be, but a nice short one.

they didn't even do a good job at making it seem organic. it was literally just activate switch A while avoiding enemy B to open door C.
the mid-game section where you walk out in the pitch black rain for 10 minutes and inevitably run out of battery was just awful.

i've been more scared being chased by a dark knight in DS1.
>>
File: 1495636334985.png (258KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
1495636334985.png
258KB, 421x500px
>>387013313
oh fuck
>>
>>387013363
>being chased by a dark knight in DS1.
What are some other examples of spooky stuff in non-horror games? I got spooked by these the first time I played them:
>Arkham Asylum's ''glitch''
>The dentist jumpscare from Bioshock
>Level Infinity from Thumper
>Lab X-18 from SoC
>>
>>387013313
What's the context of this gif
>>
>>387014294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km1p2-SB-WE
>>
>>387010715
>make horror game but advertise it as non-horror
i've seen this retard shit posted /v/ every week every year

no game can do that, devs can't lie about the genre, and even if they do, everyone will easily find out about its secret after 1 minute googling about the game (or just by visiting /v/)
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.