[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell is Dark Souls only a spiritual successor for Demon's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: UfJGt6l.jpg (118KB, 520x598px) Image search: [Google]
UfJGt6l.jpg
118KB, 520x598px
How the hell is Dark Souls only a spiritual successor for Demon's Souls? Both have Souls in the title and in both games you collect souls and the gameplay is the same even some characters are the same
>>
>>386992080
Because it's not called Demon's Souls 2 due to Sony owning the ip?
>>
Because copyright stuff.
Same thing with Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark.
>>
>>386992080

Faith build was so fun in this game. Nigh unkillable with fast hp regen
>>
>>386992165
PD is very similar to Goldeneye in gameplay but it is nothing like it as far as story, whereas Demon's Souls and Dark Souls share some characters and themes. They are likely in a similar boat but DaS and DeS are even closer
>>
>>386992080
Because Sony own the DeS IP.

Bamco commissioned From for not-DeS after it'd become a cult hit, so they own the IP.
>>
>>386992374
tbqh hp regen builds in the sequels are pretty powerful for solo runs

they just have more barriers to entry and require specific weapons

oh and they're useless for pvp and only useful for pve if your host isn't retarded

definitely viable for co-oping darkeater in ds3 tho
>>
>>386992537
Dark Souls and Demons' Souls take place in the same world and that's exactly why the creator is on record as saying they don't. The similarities are way too many to ignore, there are shared characters and even the occasional ambiguous reference.

Think about it from a creator's perspective - when your hands are tied by copyright law. How many times has Bungie gone on record saying Destiny doesn't take place in the Halo universe? Or Epic Games gone on record saying Gears doesn't take place in the UT universe? It's an unnecessary statement unless you're lying through your teeth and covering your ass for reusing ideas you have agreements with massive hardware companies not to reuse independently.

Besides, who gives a shit. The idea that the creator establishes the canon has been ridiculously abused to beat series after series to death and milk your hard-earned cash. As a culture, we should probably try to take ownership of the things we consume.
>>
Different approaches to traveling, boss design, and story telling.
>>
>>386992838
>As a culture, we should probably try to take ownership of the things we consume.
I don't care if you're trying to be ironic, shitposting or whatever. I'm going to take you seriously now and call you an idiot.
>>
I CANT BEAT FUCKING QUELAAG IN DARK SOULS REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>386993098
I'm being dead serious, but if you want to live in the world where 50 years from now, people are still reading Superman-branded comics and arguing over Superman's Pewter Age canon, that's fine by me.

IP law, the vicious Hollywood recycling schedule, and all of the anti-consumer shit that comes with it is woefully retarded and I'm not sorry for thinking that.
>>
>>386993445
hug the spider's head and spam r1, run when it's about to spit lava

alternatively: get a bow and a lot of arrows, shoot her torso
>>
>>386992374
>fast hp regen
doesnt help much when most things can kill you in less than 5 seconds
>>
>>386993621
So if I went and wrote a book, and you bought that book, you think you should have ownership of it and be able to write your own sequel on my creation or something?
Sure if it's just fanfiction but if you're going to monetize it, I'll fucking find you nigger.
>>
>>386993098

t. triggered /poliberatarian/
>>
>>386993839
No, you're right, the academic textbook market is fine.
>>
>>386993839
Really enjoy celebritalism where there's no illusion of merit at all, but instead the most popular publishers, studios, and sell-out artists bully and flood the market until it dies and then uses its infrastructure and resources to transition to a new one.
>>
>>386992838
>final archstone
You're one of THOSE guys, eh
>>
>>386993664
Do you know the closest place to buy arrows? My zweihander is too slow to spam r1 by the head I think.
>>
>>386993839
More like don't let the author's words stop your interpretation of what you think. As a semi-professional writer myself. a lot of time, words have no deeper meaning and are just there to pad the narrative or to establish a plot point.
>>
>>386992080
Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP.
Simple as that.

>>386992838
It's a shame we'll never get another game that explores the world, but there's a world of fan stuff made for the game and that's enough for me.
>>
>>386992165

>timesplitters

Legend has it Sony's own playtesting team never beat TS1 on hard before it shipped.
>>
>>386994401
probably the undead woman in the aqueduct

but the reason to get right up next to the head is because you'll get kinda caught in it and most of her attacks will miss you in there
>>
File: pepe posting.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pepe posting.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>386994458
>More like don't let the author's words stop your interpretation of what you think.
But if the author is telling you something about his creation, why would you blatantly, ignorantly ignore their words and decide things for yourself? That's equivalent to plugging your ears and talking as loud as you can.

If it's about something debatable such as theories, science and whatever where you can make up your own interpretation sure. But if it's an established fact supported for years then why would you intentionally go against the grain?
>>
>>386994783

Thanks! I was actually trying to stay at the left of the head before, but I keep getting hit and dying. Gonna go through drake valley and new londo ruins to get arrows to try now, though.
>>
>>386994938
>fact
>fiction author

You're really dumb and auteur theory has been dead for years.
>>
>>386993694
Are you talking about DS3/Bloodborne? Because the movesets in other games are slow as fuck, just roll back and chug/eat grass and you're fine.
>>
>>386995050
Tip: get lots of poison arrows, if you get stuck in some part of the game just use them to kill tough enemies without risking getting yourself killed.
>>
>>386994938
>why would you blatantly, ignorantly ignore their words and decide things for yourself?

This is pretty much how shippers work.
>>
Which one is the hardest game in the series.
>>
>>386998103

Strictly speaking its unpatched Dark Souls because fuck you not enough Souls. Realistically Demon's is hardest for newbies precisely because a lot of mechanics are rough as fuck and unforgiving (elel limited gecko spawns).
>>
>>386996462

I don't think quelaag can be poisoned, it didn't work for me.
>>
>>386998103

Even though I played Bloodborne last, it kicked my ass harder than any of the others.
>>
>>386999227
I didn't play it much but it seemed ez modo with the gun
>>
test
>>
>>386992838
>As a culture, we should probably try to take ownership of the things we consume.
This is true. Copyright is demonic.
>>
>>386998103
First Dark Souls, also i felt like Bloodborne was really hard (i had to summon NPC on some bosses)
>>
>>386999385

I didn't use it much, so that's probably why I got my ass kicked harder than normal. Though really, it was only the very beginning and some of the later parts (fuck that place that's full of werewolves and brainsuckers). A lot of the mid game was fine.
>>
>>386999227
I played BB last and it was easy as fuck for a souls game (not that I minded as I'm more interested in reasonable difficulty than lol2hrd4u games). Played DaS2 right before it and it shat all over me.
>>
>>386999610
I have seen someone play Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, he had a harder time with Souls 3 which is weird.

>>386999227
I was hoping to get into one of the games, Bloodborne seemed to be more my speed.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.