[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the earliest point you started following a game before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Undertale.jpg (50KB, 642x483px) Image search: [Google]
Undertale.jpg
50KB, 642x483px
What was the earliest point you started following a game before it blew up in popularity? What was it like witnessing the eventual influx?
>>
Probably Killing Floor.
It was somewhere around 2004-2005, I was following the progress of another UT2k4 mod, the Out Of Hell. Ended up seeing some articles about it AND the upcoming Killing Floor in practically the same sentence, got interested.

Soon after, it's first pre-release demo came out, and I played the shit out of it. Then the 1.0 arrived, had lots of fun offline and online, top spooky atmosphere.
Then arrived 2.0 and 2.5, which market the end of the mod.
But then in 2009, the Steam version made by TWI was announced. I preordered that in a heartbeat, introduced it to some of my buds when it arrived, and we were hooked for the next couple years.

And now we're at KF2, and everyone loves to hate the games or the devs or both.
I could also note that I did also play the OG Red Orchestra -mod long before it became a retail game.
>>
>>386987174
I played the Undertale demo.

I just thought I was playing an Earthbound clone, so the Flowey scene at the end was pretty magical.
>>
>>386987174
AoS games on Starcraft and Warcraft 3. I just played them occasionally, and then all of a sudden it became a huge genre filled with millions of players.
>>
>>386987174
Playing the Undertale demo and Yakuza series. The former when it blew up ruined the game and the latter is getting a bigger following but also retards spouting garbage or old memes or whatever
>>
I followed the original SA lets play of dangan ronpa where the dude translated it before anyone else and lots of tumblr posters got mad about paywalls
>>
I used to watch pic related when he only did Overgrowth let's plate and had less than 50k subs
>>
>>386988220
Overgrowth let's plays*
>>
>>386988220
>"What was the earliest point you started following a game before it blew up in popularity?"
>Posts e-celeb
You okay in the head, buddy?
>>
>>386988424
This is the eceleb board, buddy. I don't know what you were expecting
>>
>>386988847
Keep telling yourself while everyone actually posts vidya instead.
>>
>>386988220
I didn't even know he used to play video games on his channel
>>
File: Nier _Intro.jpg (104KB, 669x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Nier _Intro.jpg
104KB, 669x1023px
>>386987174
I guess I liked Nier before Automata was a thing.

Thought it was nice to see Yoko Taro get more recognition than none at all.
>>
>>386989512
They are all deleted now to avoid cringe I suppose. He still shows clips of them on rare occasions. Specifically a terrible Slender let's play he did.

It's a shame. His Overgrowth ones were solid. I'd love to rewatch a couple for nostalgia sake
>>
I played Demon's Souls before Dark Souls came out, and while it wasn't unpopular to begin with, I did see the surge in popularity with DaS. There's not a whole lot to say about it really, I don't give much thought to how popular or unpopular a game is.
>>
>>386990356
It's not just about the popularity, it's also about the attitudes that changed. I remembered the /v/ DeS comics and how everyone was excited to explore or friendly co-op sessions. Now it's one of the most garbage communities to the point that you need to memorize a guide and min/max your stats or you're garbage that you can't interpret the lore correctly from one of those fucking e-celebs
>>
>>386990630
That's true, but I wasn't as into DeS as a lot of other fans of the game to begin with, so I wasn't too upset about the decline of the community, though I understand why others were. For each game in the series I would just play them, discuss them for about a month, then not really think about them much beyond that.
>>
Probably drakengard or the original nier
>>
Probably Kerbal Space Program, while there were versions much earlier than the one I played first I was still quite early
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.