[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never played Majora, which version is better? I've heard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 10

File: N64-3DS.jpg (50KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
N64-3DS.jpg
50KB, 854x480px
Never played Majora, which version is better? I've heard 3DS has better gameplay but fucked the atmosphere, does /v/ agree?
>>
>3DS has better gameplay
They fucked over the bosses and transformation masks, so no.
>>
>>386986227
>but fucked the atmosphere
Only retards say this. It's basically the same game with better graphics.
Basically retards getting triggered that models and textures are actually more detailed.
>>
>>386986227
>atmosphere
>handheld game
Kind of expected. I'd go with the N64 version.
>>
>>386986227
the n64 version is better.
>>
>>386986332
>>386986351

explain pls
>>
>>386986227
if you care about the difficulty and story, play the n64.
if you care about graphics and a little bit easier version, play the 3ds

I played both and both are great games
>>
>>386986450
Each boss now has a giant eyeball and the fight is now "attack the giant eye for massive damage."

Deku mask's skips were made slower. Zora mask costs magic to swim (in the N64, it only costs magic to use its electric shield.)
>>
>>386986227
The only thing that's worse about 3DS version is the fact that it's a handheld game.
>>
>>386986227
I prefer n64 just because I hate the 3ds as a controller
>>
An argument could be made for either version.
>>
>>386986227

Play the originals. They're better. Nothing more needs to be said.
>>
>>386986450
They vastly improved the third and fourth boss
>>
>>386988065
Name 1 (one, uno) game that this works for
>>
>>386986227
That depends on how you would play the original. If you have an n64 or the gamecube version play those but emulating it is terrible. The 3ds version is def worth playing too if only for the boost to the framerate. It controls a lot better too.
>>
On one hand, all but one of the bosses have been made a bit worse.

On the other hand, one of the bosses is SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER HOLY SHIT.
>>
>>386987091
>Zora mask costs magic to swim

the fuck?
>>
>>386988214

Silent Hill?
Easy.
>>
>>386988214
Sillent Hill HD Collection.
Get fucked.
>>
the creepy tribal vibes of the very first boss is out the window because of a dumb eyeball

kind of hoping there's an N64 mini with Majora's Mask on it so that I can play through that again without praying my cartridge works long enough to get there or at all really
>>
I don't think the eyeball is as bad as everyone plays it out to be because it shows Majora's influence over it.
>>
>>386986227
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
>>
>>386988512
Oops, meant for >>386988214
>>
>>386986227
The 3ds version is better, it does more things right than it does worse. The n64 version is also like 24fps which is unbearable by modern standards.
>>
>>386986227
3DS version fixes way more than it fucks up.
>>
unrelated but I'm too lazy to make a new thread, never played Beyond Good and Evil, should I play the GC or PC version (with controller)?
>>
>>386988214
mgs1, first person aiming kills the difficulty in tts
>>
3ds because 30fps
>>
Majora's Mask 3DS is probably the most modified of the games. The main changes are:

>You can now warp to exact time points instead of increments.
>Swimming is very different (and honestly more shit in my opinion).
>All 4 of the bosses are redesigned and have different AI routines. Only the 2nd boss is anywhere near his old one.
>Giant's mask acts a bit differently due to how the 4th boss was changed.
>If I remember correctly, they swapped around a few of the mask locations.
>Everything is based off the PAL and American versions of Majora, Japanese version had some big differences as well.
>Visuals are remade like OoT but use the same gameplay and geometry as the original.
>Fishing was added to the game.

With that said, the changes to swimming and the bosses I felt was a negative one and the changes to how to forward time to be more exact makes the game far easier. I would personally recommend playing the N64 one first and then playing the remake, however stay away from the GCN version of Majora due to bad emulation and frequent crashes.

If you can't play the original, the 3DS version still isn't a bad choice, just different.
>>
File: Snowhead Temple.jpg (165KB, 784x240px) Image search: [Google]
Snowhead Temple.jpg
165KB, 784x240px
>>386986227

The 3DS game has better atmosphere. It's only disliked because some people dislike the idea of it changing rather than what it changed to.
>>
>>386986227
The 3DS version has a better framerate.... but play it on n64 emulated. That way you can play it on a screen that isn't the size of a pinhead and you can use a controller that's actually comfortable.
>>
People complain about the eyeball additions, but all the fights were better with them included. Especially Gyorg.
>>
>>386986227
3DS bosses were remade to be more tedious, but the rest of the game is better.
>>
>>386986227
>NNOOOOO MUH ZORA SWIMMING REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Depends. The remake is more accessible and has quality of life improvements, but not every change is necessarily for the better. Overall it's definitely an improvement desu.
>>
>>386989980
3DS version can be emulated too.
>>
3DS is an objectively better experience. I don't understand how making the Zora swimming slower ruined it for anyone.
>tfw the best part of majora's mask was swimming around in circles for hours on end in an ocean with absolutely nothing in it
yeah I'll take the streamlined iteration that has modern graphics and runs at more than 15 frames per second.
>>
Both are shit.
>>
The better version is ditching the shitty first party rom hack they pushed out the door in 9 months and playing Ocarina
>>
>>386988214
majora's mask
>>
>>386986227
>3ds or n64
>not the best version ever
play the gamecube version you faggot
>>
Play the GCN version.
>>
>>386991392
Gamecube version has shitty framerate AND crashes.
>>
>>386990971
The nerf to swimming gets offset by chateau romani anyway, so if anything it gives you more incentive to do the questlines.

Another good change in 3ds off the top of my head is that you can get all bottles before gerudo fortress, making the zora babbies less tedious. There's also a 7th you unlock in a new sidequest where you cure Gorman's hangover using the troupe mask (which was worthless in the original).
>>
>>386988336
You swim at a slower more controlled speed when you hold A, but the old zora swim speed is only used for the magic shield.
>>
I've played Majora's Mask literally at least once a year since it first came out. It's my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games of all time.
If there's anyone who can weigh in on this, it's me.

N64
>Pros
"Atmosphere"
Observatory staircase is rainbow colored
More fun to swim as a Zora

>Cons
Framerate is absolute, utter shit.
Colors are too dark, in a lot of places
Almost all the bosses are "Hit it until it dies"
No seriously, anyone who thinks Odwalla or Gyorg were good boss fights is a paint huffing retard.

3ds
>Pros
Solid framerate and higher resolution
Better controls
Better graphics
More content
The bosses actually require some strategy. Y'know, like a Zelda game.

>Cons
Handheld
You swim more slowly as a Zora
The staircase to the observatory is wood colored (Serously, what the fuck is up with that?)

Overall, the 3DS version is the definitive version. Anyone who says otherwise is nostalgia baiting
>>
>>386987091
I have the 3DS version and am currently playing through it and I can confirm these things.
>Each boss now has a giant eyeball and the fight is now "attack the giant eye for massive damage."
Pretty much, boss fight mechanics have changed a lot in this version. Odolwa requires you to go Deku and drop deku nuts on his head using the flowers before you can attack his big glowing eye weakpoint, rather than being able to play the whole fight out as Link with the bow. Goht wasn't that much different, you can still knock him on his side and just attack his side as Goron Link but the best way to fight him is to use the ramps to fall on top of him in midair and then constantly switch out to Link with the bow and shoot the eye on top, which breaks the pace a lot. Gyorg is fucking awful and the redesigned fight is tedious and takes way too long - it now has 2 phases, first one is like usual and then the second one is underwater and you have to go close enough to him to make him start sucking in the water and then hit the mines to make them go into his mouth, this sounds a lot less janky than it is. I haven't got to Twinmold yet but I heard the changes there are fucking giant (lol) as well.
>Deku mask's skips were made slower.
The problem with this is that Deku Link accelerates a lot slower when he uses his spin. In the N64 version whenever you got to a lilypad you would just instantly spin across to the water and keep hopping at max speed. In the 3DS version you only gain full speed about 1/3 of the way into the spin, so you have to constantly re-adjust yourself after getting to each lilypad. It's bad and breaks the pace.

1/3
>>
Alright sixteen-year-old fag, here's the foolproof way to play a video game that has a remake: you always play the original first and then you play the Remake if you have to. Full stop.
>>
>>386991829
>Zora mask costs magic to swim (in the N64, it only costs magic to use its electric shield.)
This legitimately made me rage. Swimming around Great Bay is fun when you're going fast, and having to get around places quickly necessitates the use of the swim/shield. The biggest problem here is that there are no magic pots or bushes or stuff underwater to regain magic from, so if you're like me you swim around everywhere until you literally run out of magic and then when you're in pirate's fortress and (here's another change) Tatl hints you should use the Lens of Truth to find the Guard and get the Stone Mask from him by giving him the Red Potion. Stone Mask Guard dude is moved to being right in the middle of Pirates' Fortress from Ikana. The problem is I got to this point without any magic left because of all the swimming you do to get to Pirates' Fortress and then all the swimming you do while inside and going under all the boats and shit. And there is NOWHERE to restock on magic in there. I literally had to leave the entire place and ended up just going and getting chateau romani for the remainder of all of my time spent in Great Bay.

2/3
>>
>>386991915
Some other changes I can think of apart from boss fights and the above stuff listed
>Song of double time lets you pick specific hours, I don't think this is bad at all and removes a lot of the waiting around from the game - i think this is totally fine because it's a handheld game and they expect people to be playing it while they're doing other shit.
>There are save points as well as song of soaring owl statue save points, saving works way differently in that you can just keep playing after saving, the game no longer saves when you play the song of time and only when you hit up a save point or owl point - i'm fine with this, it's another thing for the handheld gamers that have shit to do so they can save and turn the game off
>the banker is moved in front of the save point in clock town - this is good
>cosmetic changes, garo's mask is now the garo leader mask instead of the normal ninja dudes. the sun blocks you're meant to use the mirror shield on have eyes on them instead of the sun faces from OoT (which were in OoT 3DS as well so I'm not sure why this happened) - whatever, i don't really care that much
>they moved some shit around (bottles for heart pieces), there's a couple of extra quests too with new bottles, troupe leader's mask actually does something
>they changed some rupee prices on some shit, powder kegs are cheaper. blue potion is more expensive from the deku in ikana. the gibdos in the well ask for less of the things (5 magic beans = 1 magic bean, 10 bombs = 1 bomb, etc.)

All in all there's some good and some (frustrating) bad to it, but it's still very much Majora's Mask and it's on a handheld which is something my kid mind could never have imagined when I played it on N64. I'd still recommend it if you're looking to go into a replay and have a 3DS and the visual upgrades for 95% of the stuff that didn't get artistically changed is overall good.

3/3
>>
>>386986332
>being this much of a pissbaby

They made all the bossfights objectively better save Majora and you know it.
>>
Honestly, I recommend playing both.
>>
>>386991826
I didn't mind it so much but they changed the noises the zora on the beach makes I believe which kinda confused me

odd place to have nostalgia but I do have nostalgia over that guy
>>
Playing 3d zelda on handheld is a no, also nintendo always fuck up their remakes, just play the original.
>>
>>386991826
>3DS
>higher resolution
I'm pretty sure the N64 version was 240p still, and it's probably standard definition for the Gamecube version.
>>
nigger
>>
>>386986227
3DS by a country mile, the masks are clunky and awful in N64. The controller was not equipped to handle the gameplay at all, a complete mess

Anyone who says otherwise is just a nostalgia baby, there's no actual reason to play the N64 version over the 3DS version other than nostalgia
>>
File: upxkWCL.png (286KB, 920x264px) Image search: [Google]
upxkWCL.png
286KB, 920x264px
Play Majora on 3DS.

Ocarina is the dodgy one.
>>
It's better. Don't listen to the N64 purist autismos. The "atmosphere" shit is just a meme.
>>
File: nigger.jpg (60KB, 1093x410px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
60KB, 1093x410px
>>386986227
3DS has REALLY bad audio, like compare the deku mask's footsteps. Worse gameplay and visuals also.
>>
>>386986227
>Fucked with the atmosphere
>fire from impacting moon is burning brighter
oh no
>>
>>386992863
>Worse visuals
Your screenshot does not help your case. Oh no the resolution is slightly less. Look at the detail on the clock town gate right in front of deku link in both of those screenshots.
>>
>>386992863
You really can't make that claim when you post an example of 3d's new lighting taking a dump on original.
>>
>>386992292
3DS is 800x240
>>
File: Capture.jpg (30KB, 1079x338px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
30KB, 1079x338px
>>386993006
>>386993112
>muh saturation
it ruins the art style.
>>
>>386993146
>800
Only because it's fucking 3D. It's still 400x240.
>>
>>386991187
kek no
>>
I played OoT for the first time ever on 3DS, had a blast. Now I'm playing through MM (again for the very first time) on 3DS and I think it's pretty good. Right now I'm recovering the Zora eggs, I didn't know that swimming didn't use magic in the N64 version. Wish they kept it that way, other than that the game is pretty enjoyable. Not sure why they gave Goht an eyeball though.
>>
>>386991187
No, the better version is ditching the shitty 3d remake they pushed out as a n64 tech demo and playing the original, LttP
>>
>>386993187
I didn't say anything about saturation. The 3d modelling and features of everything in the game are way better looking.

There is more to graphical fidelity than a coloured filter or a slight change in screen resolution.
>>
>>386993290
He needs to see.
>>
>>386986227
who the fuck cares? MM mask is one of the worst games in the series, next to phantom hourglass and skyward sword.
>>
>>386991826

nice opinion
>>
>>386993234
Yeah, it's fucking 3D, the other versions aren't
>>
>>386988214
Zelda series, Final Fantasy X, Assassin's Creed series.
>>
Daily reminder that they fast-forwarded the scene where the Giants stop the moon.
>>
>>386993430
>MM mask
>>
>>386993430
>>386993959
btfo
>>
i don't have a 3ds but i say play the n64 version.
>>
>>386986227

N64 has better bosses.

Only thing wrong in the 3DS version was
>bosses were made not only easier, but they changed up the progression of the fight, and some of them are more annoying, like the fish boss
>Twinmold got a new and pretty cool wrestling match bossfight, but it takes longer to beat
>Zora swimming was all jacked up
>Deku gains no momentum when spinning anymore
>>
File: CTRP_AQE_char01_01_ad.jpg (461KB, 2782x3463px) Image search: [Google]
CTRP_AQE_char01_01_ad.jpg
461KB, 2782x3463px
So, is Ocarina of Time the best Zeldan?

For me it is.

It also has the manliest Link.
>>
>>386986351
wrong
the opening cutscene is too bright and colorful, unlike the dark gloomy intentionally foggy and mysterious original

and the rest of the game is similar
>>
>>386986227
just stick with the original. 3ds is aight and fun to revisit but play it the way it was intended first

as far as atmosphere it's a little different in 3ds mostly due to colors being more vibrant and bloom everywhere in an attempt to make the game look better. n64 is more gloomy
>>
>>386992863

>3DS has REALLY bad audio
It's not that bad, but whatever. Opinion.

>Worse gameplay and visuals also
Pause. You just played yourself with your own screenshot.
>>
I think the journal they added in the 3DS is the only good improvement.
>>
>>386994461
>It's not that bad
You have autism enough for owning a 3DS, just stop while you're behind. The audio is fucking horrifying on the ears.
>>
>>386991991
>pissbaby
>being too afraid of offending someone to say "faggot"
What's the matter, your tumblr pals reading over your shoulder?
>>
>>386993187

>my opinion is fact!

Wew boy.
>>
>>386994482
You mean the Bomber's Notebook? It was definitely easier to get in the 3DS version, and it can hold more info but it was in the N64 version too.
>>
>>386986332

I hate what they did to Odolwa. It wasn't scripted shit like it is in the 3DS version, you were able to fight him however you wanted. I really enjoyed just having a sword fight against him, but they fucked that up.
>>
File: nipsu.png (103KB, 288x346px) Image search: [Google]
nipsu.png
103KB, 288x346px
>>386993146
>>386993234
>>386993591
>Nintendo so desperate it says it has 800x240 resolution because it has two 400x180 resolution images working together to produce one 3D image
Is this criminal, or what?
>>
>>386994947

I don't think he's ever attacked me any of the times I've fought him in the 3DS version.
>>
>>386995051

The screen is rendered as a whole and then split across 2 displays.

But whatever fuels your autistic nitpickery.
>>
>>386995051
>>386995221
>400x180
I meant 400x240. It's divided in the middle and 400x180 would mean it has four screens instead of two under the parallax barrier screen.

I apologize if I confused anyone.
>>
>>386992570
It's mindboggling how cool and dark Zelda games managed to look in certain scenes in the N64 games and how all of it was thrown out the window afterwards. No, TP is just a sad attempt to recapture that and doesn't even come close.
>>
>>386994947
>scripted
Every day /v/ gets dumber and dumber.
>>
>>386995334
>>386995334
Also, I have never touched or seen a 3DS in real life, so I might be completely wrong about everything I say in this thread.
>>
>>386995118
Yeah. He's way easier now in the 3DS version. You're invincible while you're in a deku flower or while you're in the air and that's your means of stunning him. Once he's stunned you wail on him a bit and then go back into the deku flower. It's painfully easy to just not even take even a quarter-heart of damage doing the fight.
>>
>>386986227
Both versions are fine, question is what system would you rather play it on? On emulator you can play it on your PC with great resolution. 3DS has more polygons but better overall graphics, however smaller screen

Both versions play fine, don't listen to the babies whining about the 3ds changes. They weren't particularly bad or good. They are just there.

I myself always play the 3ds version these days just because Link is such a cutie with more polygons.
>>
File: faggot fantasy.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
faggot fantasy.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>386995660
I think the trend holds true for all Japanese game series'.
>>
>>386996296
I fucking hate that the second half of the story was a hallway, but god damn it was a good hallway.

I just wanted it to be traditional FF "before last mission you are free to roam anywhere" instead of time travel.
>>
>>386994406
>intentionally foggy

looool
>>
>>386996876
you're a real idiot
>>
>>386997954
>he thinks it was foggy by intent and not limitation
>>
>>386994406
>fog
>on Nintendo 64
>intentional

anon....
>>
>>386998070
>>386998076
>one of the only parts in the game that is foggy
>unintentional
retards
>>
>No rumble
That alone should tell you which version you should play.
>>
>>386986227
Just play the 3D remaster if you can. It looks great and apart from the modified Zora swimming mechanics, it's the superior version. Boss fights are better.
>>
>>386991392
>version that warns you about audio issues when starting up

no
>>
>>386998269
do you put the controller on your weiner while you play or something?
>>
>All these "lol N64fags are BABIES who WHINE about anything that's different!!" comments
>Several posts detailing actual changes that could cause problems like
>>386991829
>>386991915
>>386991987

Either opinion is perfectly valid. The only babies here are the children who think that the changes changes being a deal breaker makes you a whiner in some way.

>>386991858
This, god damn. It's fine if you prefer remakes, but always at least take a solid look at the original.
>>
File: 1501698819845.png (973KB, 1196x453px) Image search: [Google]
1501698819845.png
973KB, 1196x453px
>>386986227
3DS is much better.
The N64 version is completely obsolete now, it served it's purpose well for the 15 years it was the only thing available, but it's not worth wasting your time with now. Same for Ocarina by the way.
>>
File: citra-qt_2017-07-15_22-30-55.jpg (219KB, 1920x1027px) Image search: [Google]
citra-qt_2017-07-15_22-30-55.jpg
219KB, 1920x1027px
>>386989980
Implying
>>
>>386986227
Play the N64 version first then the 3DS. The definitive way to play is on the new 3DS, latest OS update, latest game update.
>>
>>386986351
nigga. in the original that's a moon... on the 3ds it's a fucking sun... retard.
>>
>>386986227
They're both great. Play whichever version is most convenient to you.
>>
>>386999162
Right looks better. It also sounds and plays better.
>>
>>386991826
>"Hit it until it dies"
What the fuck else would you do? Tickle it?
>>
>>386988995
You also don't have to hold down the A button anymore to roll while a Goron.
>>
>>386991826
>Hit the gigantic fucking eye
>"""""strategy"""""
m8
>>
>>386994675
look at this triggered diaperbaby
>>
>>386987091
>Zora mask costs magic to swim
Damn, that sucks. In the original it was fun to just be able to swim freely.
>>
>>387001887
Also the boss fight with the Giant mask is a fucking shitshow, absolutely awful fight and extremely badly designed.
>>
People seem to be forgetting that the bosses in Majora's Mask are meant to be simple because you have to kill them multiple times to do some of the sidequests. Adding a ton of tedium and extra phases to the boss fights gets old real fast if you're not literally playing by a guide and have to go through multiple day cycles killing them over and over.

This is why when you fight Majora itself it has three phases and a lot more to it, because you're only meant to fight Majora once.
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.