[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the playstation 2 the best bang for your buck console on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1200px-PS2-Versions.jpg (84KB, 1200x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-PS2-Versions.jpg
84KB, 1200x1063px
Is the playstation 2 the best bang for your buck console on the used market?

>very cheap; very clean examples with cables, controllers, games, accessories can be had for around $60
>most games are still dirt cheap, $10-15 for great titles in good condition complete in box
>easily modified to play burnt games with nothing more than a spare memory card and a way to load the installer
>network adapter can be used on the fat PS2 to load games either over windows network share (smb) or directly from an IDE hard disk (or IDE to SATA adapter with a 2.5 inch laptop HDD)

I bought a fat PS2 for $60 including shipping that came with 2 controllers, component video cables, GTA:SA, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Ace Combat 4 and the first Devil May Cry

I've since bought a network adapter and an IDE to SATA adapter and just threw a used 250GB laptop HDD in the PS2 and I've yet to fill the HDD up.
>>
Yes. Unless you happen to find a working PS3 Fat, which would have a full backwards compatibility with PS1 and 2 games as well, meaning kazillion games up until this very year.
>>
Ps2 slim can use opl with a hard drive plugged into your computer to share games directly to it.

Almost all games work and it's pretty amazing.
>>
>>386967154
I thought that was a legend.
Like some people mentioned it from time to time. But never heard about it directly from users
>>
>>386969413
Most are yellow lighted by now. They were good consoles
>>
>>386969413

i have one

20gb, 4 usb inputs, no wifi
>>
>>386969475
is the yellow lighting really that common? My ps3 fat still works
>>
Original X-Box > PS2. Fight me.
>>
Usually consoles from 2 generations ago are super cheap to collect
>>
>>386966709
360 with Region Hack an you're settled for an eternity.
>>
File: 5kaut5.jpg (6KB, 163x175px) Image search: [Google]
5kaut5.jpg
6KB, 163x175px
>>386969413

I have a 60 GB model with wifi and it still works

Surprise, surprise. If you open up your fucking consoles and clean them, they tend to not explode and die.
>>
>>386969583
4% of ps3's, but a huge percent of that 4 is the old fat ones
>>
>>386969602
Rule 2: "You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18."

How's Call of Duty?
>>
>>386970401

>Call of Duty
>original Xbox

Funny, since PS2 had more CoD games than the original Xbox did.
>>
Just bought a fat PS2 for $45. PS2s are not the most enjoyable consoles to buy used since they are easily the most unreliable of the four consoles of that generation. It's easier to find a reliable PS1 than a PS2.
>>
>>386969413
>I thought that was a legend.
Nope. How new / young are you?
I still OWN the 60GB Fat I bought back in 2007, and it still works fucking fine. Which some claim to be a total miracle, as if the failure rate would have ever been even remotely close to OG Xbox360's literal 75%.
>>
>>386971246
I have my fat sitting here, in the last 6 years or so it has seen maybe 5 hours of use.
Partly because I'm afraid to yellow light it, partly because no games
>>
>>386971442
I'm willing to bet that majority of those amazing FOUR PERCENT got their systems busted by insufficient cooling caused by keeping the machine in cramped spaces for too long, not realizing that machines of that caliber are practically like PCs and need some basic maintenance from time to time.

My 60GB started to sound like a goddamn jet-plane when playing games at one point, which was remedied simply by pulling it out from the tight TV-stand's shelves.

The more advanced method, still not pro-hard, of keeping Fats alive would be purchasing those Sony-Philips screwdrivers, opening the sucker up, and cleaning any and all dust from the innards. If you wanna take it a step further, apply some new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

Final fancy-pants trick is to add more copper plates on top of the stock cooling pipes.
>>
The best value for a console currently is a Wii. you can pick one up for $50-60 and they can most games from the first 5 generations
>>
>>386971851
I don't get it. You buy a wii and then you have a wii. This doesn't get you any closer to playing video games.
>>
>>386971851
WiiU is better.
>Literally includes Wii
>and thus can also run GC games, natively
>HDMI output as default
>easy peasy to Homebrew & fill with emulators
>~150 bucks for a system with extras and one game, average.
>>
>>386969602
As someone who grew up with the original Xbox the exclusives were ass. Pretty much multi-plat -
the console. Though if I wanted a game I always bought the Xbox version if it was available.
>>
>>386969413
My ps3 is a launch model and still works.

Also you can replace the HDD in them.

I played persona 5 on it and its still my primary blu ray player.
>>
>>386971851
I bought my Wii from a garage sale for literally $3
Cleaned it up and hacked it, it now serves as my emulator box and I play gamecube games on it from time to time. Couldn't get over the strange controls for Super Mario Galaxy so I was a little bummed considering that was my first Wii game.
>>
>>386969798
But the good 360 games you dont need region hack because they were released in NA.

Or do you mean the simple japanese exclusives that either get ported or have similar games that do better on other consoles.

Face it! Your console is a console multiplat machine and thats it.

Abiet, the best multiplat machine.
>>
I meant that backward compatibility. I thought that was only in ps4
>>
>>386973515
Are you literally 10?
There was a huge shitfest when the newger ps3 gens came out with no bc
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.