[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think there is any stigma towards proudly labelling yourself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_m8cq02uPla1qd900fo1_1280.jpg (103KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8cq02uPla1qd900fo1_1280.jpg
103KB, 1024x576px
Do you think there is any stigma towards proudly labelling yourself a "gamer" as part of your identity?
>>
>>386960957
hardly anymore. Its becoming a normal acceptable thing in society like watching tv or any other hobby
>>
Yes, it's autistic.

Gaming should simply be something you do in spare time, not something you base your life around.
>>
>>386961016
yeah but normal people just play video games, they don't try to make an identity out of it
>>
Only from feminists
>>
>>386961068
>yeah but normal people just play video games, they don't try to make an identity out of it
I wouldn't say that using the term "gamer" as a part of things you like to do doesn't explicity define your identity. Its literally like any other hobby that someone does
>>
Yes. Proudly labeling yourself anything is a clear indication of not knowing who the fuck you are and instead of doing something about it and taking responsibility for your own identity you just subscribe to pre-established groups because it's easy.

The stigma exists because by doing that you add zero (0) value to me as another human being because I can't learn anything from you.
>>
>>386961068
This.
It's just a hobby, the moment it starts leaking in your other activities, it turns into cancer.
>>
i'm a gamer but i don't understand the question
>>
>>386961138
>The stigma exists because by doing that you add zero (0) value to me as another human being because I can't learn anything from you.
really? if someone was a welder either as a hobby or profession, you can't learn a SINGLE thing from them?
>>
File: 1474742748025.jpg (17KB, 385x387px) Image search: [Google]
1474742748025.jpg
17KB, 385x387px
>>386960957
>not something you base your life around.
>tfw this is all you've done your entire life and the only thing you know
>>
File: never-alone.jpg (97KB, 1000x861px) Image search: [Google]
never-alone.jpg
97KB, 1000x861px
>>386960957
idk
>>
>>386961353
That's a profession, not an identity. Do you define yourself by your hobbies? Because if you do, no I can't learn anything from you I couldn't just learn by studying whatever you did to get into that hobby or profession.

I'd rather get to know you personally anyway, how humans think and react and moralize is far more interesting to me.
>>
>>386961545
>That's a profession, not an identity.
why can't you make your profession part of who you are? You do it because you like it and you internalize it. The only difference between a profession and a hobbyist is a professional makes money off his work.
>>
File: AWPEKmF.jpg (55KB, 995x713px) Image search: [Google]
AWPEKmF.jpg
55KB, 995x713px
>>386960957
>>
>>386961068
I think the problem is that our society puts too much emphasis on identifying people within groups. We don't use traits to describe people but to define them.
>>
>>386961603
No it's not the only difference. Hobby implies it's something you wouldn't want to do as the primary means of satisfaction for effort exerted, it's just something you enjoy and use to relax or have fun in some way. A profession fits the category of something you'd be comfortable and able to do for the rest of your life as you remain capable - but does that mean you can only be comfortable with one thing? What if you work your whole life as a welder but you hate welding and just needed the money and you weren't bad at it? Are you therefore a welder by identity no matter what?
>>
Calling yourself a gamer has become like claiming to be "such a nerd xD" because because you watched whatever big Disney/Marvel movie that recently came out.
>>
File: 1443374027671.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1443374027671.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>386961626
>>
>>386961809
>Hobby implies it's something you wouldn't want to do as the primary means
Not necessarily. Not every hobby is profitable in that sense. One in particular I can think of is something simple like remote control airplanes. How could you monetize that? In other facets, things like welding can be both non-profitable and lucrative depending on how you imploy that.

This is like arguing that there is a difference without differentiating them.
>>
There used to be. Back when it was people who bought tons of merch and had rooms full of videogames. Around the time xbox 360 came out this all changed.

The megacorps that produce games realized how much money they could make if they normalized it. Like how star wars is hyper-normalized now. It's entirely commercial.

Everyone likes "X"! Become part of something! Be normal!

But they still revile the actual diehard gamers who are autistic and take it beyond hobby.
>>
>>386961973
I'm not talking about money, money as a motivation for profession that is required to have basic needs taken care of is a relatively new concept in human history. I'm talking about the difference between these things as you raised them as legitimate labels to slap on to a human being. If I flew remote control airplanes as a hobby, it's easy for me to say "yeah I'm a remote airplane enthusiast" and then everyone around me says "a-ha, so he's that kind of person!". It's like a social short-hand for grouping people. As another anon said though, is that valid? Did I learn anything from that? Can I? I would argue no, because it wasn't the person describing themselves, it was my preconception of what the "enthusiast" means.

We're getting too far off the original topic which was can you learn something from someone who only uses labels to define themselves. If you want to consider a profession or hobby a label, which I clearly do not, then you're free to draw your own conclusions. I think you are conflating monetary value with identity however.
>>
>>386960957
It's a just a marketing tool and people buy right into it.
>>
File: 1500933303781.jpg (10KB, 325x166px) Image search: [Google]
1500933303781.jpg
10KB, 325x166px
>>386961626
I want this meme to stop
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.