[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are indicators inherently bad? Inherently good? Are some of them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: indicators.jpg (2MB, 800x2404px) Image search: [Google]
indicators.jpg
2MB, 800x2404px
Are indicators inherently bad? Inherently good? Are some of them bad and some of them good? Which are which and why?

By indicators I mean any kind of help that let's you easily perceive part of the ruleset, instead of having to spend (possibly dozens or hundreds of) hours playing the game to make you used to the lack of indicators.

Examples of indicators (pictured):
>crosshair in shooters (some lack crosshairs!)
>projectile trajectory in shooters (if not straight)
>angle of attack in artillery games
>radius of towers/skills in mobas
>capturing area in ctf games

Should trajectory of all non-straight missiles be optionally visible (except maybe in artillery games, since they are turn based)? Why(why not?
Should hitboxes be visible in shooters/fighting games? Why/why not?
Should areas be clearly delimited? Why/why not?

Main reasons why I've heard people be against indicators are:
>it's not realistic
>it's more difficult if they aren't there
Both of which are true. Then again, it would also be more difficult in any sport to follow strict rules regarding areas in the field if those aren't weren't clearly delimited with lines everyone could see...

What is your opinion on the matter?
>>
>>386944461
The best AND most popular FPS games that are still played to this day, including CSGO, Quake, TF2, etc, all abstain from indicators.

Minimal indicators are totally fine, but if it isn't needed, it shouldn't be there.
>>
>>386944461
>>386944775
Oh and
>crosshairs
I mean I never even think about this. They are rarely more instructive than memorizing the middle of your screen, or as some nerds do put a tiny sticker on it.
>>
>>386944775
All of those have crosshairs.
>>
>>386944853
>>386944895
>>
All of the examples you posted work fine in the games they are in. Indicators are neither good nor bad as a concept, it's just a question of whether any individual usage of it is more helpful or intrusive in the game that it is actually in. A grenade trajectory arc would not be helpful in like, Quake. It would just get in the way.
>>
>>386944914
What do you mean by intrusive? How are areas lines clearly indicating where you should stand to capture a point bad? What if you can enable and disable it in the options?
>>
File: 1473011886120.png (227KB, 390x388px) Image search: [Google]
1473011886120.png
227KB, 390x388px
theres nothing wrong with crosshairs and shit like that in my opinion. this isnt real life, so why should it be as hard as aiming a real gun? many shooting games let you turn it off, anyway, so i see no real harm. its not like you have an unfair advantage since everyone else has the same thing
>>
>>386944991
Wouldn't the trajectory thing be helpful for beginners?

I made the thread specifically because even though you said all of those work fine, dota players complained about visual radiuses (radii?) being added to the game, as it made it easier for beginners.
>>
Learning the trajectory of a non-hitscan projectile and getting that perfect snap shot on target is more satisfying than every laser-arc assisted shit combined.

I think games should be about mastery, something to "solve", something with depth. This does not have to be punishingly hard, just not so idiot proof that you're just pouring gasoline on your free time and lighting a match.
>>
>>386944991
>>386945036
>>
>>386945253
Only video games or all games? Should sports remove the visible lines from the fields (but still punish you if you cross them, etc)?
>>
>>386944461
Indicators are bad because they are QTE trash according to /v/.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.