[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has any other game accurately predicted the future of civilization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_0880.png (623KB, 600x745px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0880.png
623KB, 600x745px
Has any other game accurately predicted the future of civilization than pic related?
>>
>>386917994
No
>>
>JEWS, running the world

It's amazing how they got away with this line. 2000 was truly a different time.
>>
>more terrorism and globalism
>haha whoooaaa guys can you believe they predicted this shit!!!11!
Have DE fans always been this delusional?
>>
>>386918837
Predicted 9/11 though
>>
>>386918837
Oh yes
>>
>>386918837
do you realize less of the things that have happened didnt happen when the game had already released?
>>
>>386918902
I wouldn't say it was a prediction since they left the towers out due to tech limitations.
>>
>>386917994
It wasn't really supposed to. It was just a fun hodgepodge of popular conspiracy theories at the time.
But now it hits really close to home. Just wait until transhumanism really starts to become a thing.
>>
>>386917994
Did DX predict a literal retard in charge of the most powerful country in the world? The left and right getting absurdly stupid? A mediocre game getting praised to heavenly heights based on memes?
>>
File: jswxMum.jpg (234KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
jswxMum.jpg
234KB, 800x1000px
>>386917994
MGS2
>>
>>386919687
>Just wait until transhumanism really starts to become a thing.
can't w8 m8
>have multiple physical health problems with no cure available at the moment
>in pain every day
>it's not a widespread belief but it still bothers me when i see people acting like medical treatment is unnatural and bad
>all these healthy people so afraid of us changing our bodies without thinking of sick people whose bodies cause them to be wracked with pain
>every day think about what it'll be like when technology is advanced enough to cure all of these health problems
can't
w8
>>
>>386918837
They weren't the same hot topics pre-9/11, especially terrorism.
>>
>>386920775

You were born after 9/11, weren't you? Terrorism has been a hot topic since at least the 70s. The fact that America hadn't felt the need to officially announce they were declaring war on terrorism yet doesn't mean it wasn't a thing.
>>
>>386921025
I'm not saying it didn't come up anon, just that it wasn't the defining topic it still is today.
>>
>>386921117

It's worse today because the number of terrorism incidences has dramatically increased, especially in regards to terrorist attacks taking place in western nations, but that doesn't mean nobody cared about it before 9/11. You do know that 9/11 was the SECOND terrorist attack on the WTC, right? Less than 10 years prior there had been a previous attempt to bring down the towers.
>>
>>386919421
>tech limitations
>for making 2 silhouettes in the horizon a bit taller
nani
>>
>>386921415
I'm aware of the failed bombing attempt, yes. And you keep acting like I'm saying nobody cared. I'm not saying nobody cared before 9/11, that would be patently false.
>>
>>386921531

It wasn't tech limitations, the artist just forgot to put them in.
>>
>>386919878
this fits so well with Google and the control SJWs have over companies, content and social media nowadays
>>
>>386921624
why did you even quote me instead of the original post saying it was tech limitations?

and isn't it fucking mentioned in the game that the towers were taken down by terrorists?
>>
>>386921554

Well then what's your point? Terrorism was a thing that had been on the rise for the past 30 years, was it really an ingenious prediction for them to include it in their political story or was it just simply that they actually watched the news?
>>
>>386918902
You know the World Trade Center had terrorist attacks before 9/11, right?
It wasn't something the devs just came up with.
>>
>>386920508
this is why I didn't really care for the direction the new Deux Ex games went in...I can see some backlash from like mormons and shit but honestly why would resentment be so widespread for people getting replacement organs and shit? Even today people with replacement legs can potentially move faster than normal limbs but nobody gives a shit because it would involve cutting off your legs first to get it.
>>
>>386921531
That's not how it works, the texture has to be a square/rectangle so the entire texture for the buildings would've had to have been a lot bigger. That could've dropped the FPS for a lot of people with lower end computers.
>>
>>386921695
It came up in an interview at some point. For whatever reason it was a pain in the ass to have the distant representation of Manhattan go high enough to contain the twin towers, so they left them out and put that in as an excuse.
>>
>>386917994
>accurately predicted the future of civilization
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>386921841
I think people should be free to do whatever they want even if that means replacing limbs, but I can kind of understand the disdain of that. I'd rather see something like the nano augmentation in the first game that works with your body instead of straight up replacing parts of it.
>>
>>386921856
>the texture has to be a square/rectangle

Not quite, it's the power of two rule. Textures dimensions should be divisible by eight and the one dimension should be double or half the other dimension. At the time you didn't have to do this but you did take a performance hit if you didn't, these days I think non-power of two texture support doesn't even exist in hardware anymore.

They could have actually put the two towers into a texture of the same size, it would have just meant a probably inconsequential clarity drop because it would necessitate reducing the detail on the other buildings. It's not like the skyline had to be exactly 1:1 with real life, a relative representation is enough. This probably would have even resulted in a smaller texture size because it would be more compressible. I don't buy their explanation.
>>
>>386922691
>reducing the detail on the other buildings
There were dozens of other buildings though, to make them all look worse to make two look better would probably look worse overall.
>>
>>386920775
Globalism was huge back then. The USSR had just collapsed and China was thoroughly capitalist at that point as well. Lots of people had hoped that we would finally have a truly globally interconnected economy because communism had been defeated.
>>
File: libertyisland.jpg (122KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
libertyisland.jpg
122KB, 800x600px
>>386923195

It's a mess of glowing lights shit already. Scale them down slightly and stick two slightly taller building in the texture and you have now put the two towers into the texture without comprising it much at all. The line now is that they couldn't do it because of "engine limitations" but the first explanation I ever heard was the artist forgot to put them in and when they finally noticed they were missing it was faster to add some in universe lore to explain it than to have the artist go back and redo the texture. The latter sounds a lot more plausible to me.
>>
>>386923870
>The latter sounds a lot more plausible to me.
Yeah that would make sense too, since they don't have to admit to a mistake. But are there many other levels with skybox textures like the first level? I don't recall seeing much of them after that, which makes me think it could still be due to performance drops. It would help if we knew how much of a performance hit skybox textures were on the average computer when the game was first released.
>>
It didn't predict shit. But Pacotti and everyone who wrote for this game knew their stuff and kept up to date with current affairs and technology and so forth. But it wasn't even hard to "predict" or see that for example wealth and income inequality would rise massively, and with it would come more corruption, conflicts etc.

Just as Fukuyama and his economist buddies were triumphantly proclaiming "The End of History" had arrived and several US Presidents had basically sold the White House and especially its foreign affairs and military to banking elites (power which ie; Robert Rubin used to remove Suharto in Indonesia for example, not because he was a murderous dictator but because he had failed to pay back large international investors). I was just a kid back then but I can imagine these are trends a talented writer could weave into any decent near-future cyberpunk plot.
>>
>>386924582

The skybox part is irrelevant. What they claim is that they didn't have the two towers because that would necessitate a non-power of two texture and that would have a performance hit. It is true that a non-power of two texture would have had a performance hit, what I don't believe is true is that adding the two towers necessitated a non-power of two texture. That's skyline texture is not accurate to real life, it's representative, and they could have added the two towers in a representative manner too without having to compromise the other building too much and without having to alter the texture dimensions.
>>
>The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

>The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement same functionality with data-mining algorithms.
>>
>>386924893
>a talented writer
I think that's the most important part. The game had ideas and it had writers that knew how to weave them in.
>>
JC Denton: How about a report on yourself?
Morpheus: I was a prototype for Echelon IV. My instructions are to amuse visitors with information about themselves.
JC Denton: I don't see anything amusing about spying on people.
Morpheus: Human beings feel pleasure when they are watched. I have recorded their smiles as I tell them who they are.
JC Denton: Some people just don't understand the dangers of indiscriminate surveillance.
Morpheus: The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms.
JC Denton: Electronic surveillance hardly inspires reverence. Perhaps fear and obedience, but not reverence.
Morpheus:God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgement and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary.
JC Denton: No one will ever worship a software entity peering at them through a camera.
Morpheus: The human organism always worships. First, it was the gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgement of others), next it will be self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgment.
JC Denton: You underestimate humankind's love of freedom.
Morpheus: The individual desires judgment. Without that desire, the cohesion of groups is impossible, and so is civilization.
>>
>>386925368

Honestly, this is the sort of pseudo-intellectual crap you would expect to hear from a "everyone but me is a sheep" college kid.

>Morpheus:God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgement and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary.

This, for example. The gods explained creation. Other sentiments, including observation, judgement and punishment, are secondary as evidenced by the fact that most mythology has the gods being largely indifferent to humanity, or at best amused by them, and almost nobody who claims to be religious is actually all that devout in practice and it's always been like that.
>>
>>386925796
Then why do you have a smartphone?
>>
File: 1494044859207.png (520KB, 811x940px) Image search: [Google]
1494044859207.png
520KB, 811x940px
Global Meme War
>>
>>386926018

Who says I have a smartphone?

People don't desire judgement, they desire acclaim. Nobody wants their dirty laundry publicly aired and the notion that we do is utterly fucking ridiculous. Why the fuck do you think people hold on to internet anonymity so tightly?

They got it so much more right with NG Resonance in IW. She friendly and accommodating and recognizes that not everyone is the same and adapts accordingly. Frankly, the writing of IW is vastly superior and far less obnoxious even if the gameplay lags behind.
>>
>>386921629
Take your anti-Google conspiracy theories back to /pol/
>>
>>386920508
You won't be able to afford them.
>>
File: me a big brain boi.png (34KB, 642x401px) Image search: [Google]
me a big brain boi.png
34KB, 642x401px
>>386917994
fallout
>>
>>386925245
>God was a dream of good government.
>>
Why are you locked in the bathroom?
>>
>>386926435
>Why the fuck do you think people hold on to internet anonymity so tightly?
What people?
>>
>>386925368
>>386925796
It's highly effective writing because the sheer 'zealotry' with which Morpheus explains his existence and purpose, programming etc. in such a banal manner is (probably) supposed to creep the player the fuck out, it did me.
>>386926018
>people have smartphones because they desire judgment by Morpheus AI
t. Morpheus AI
>>
>>386926763

Doxing is a potent weapon on the internet. Even the "normies" know this. It wouldn't be if we all desired public shaming.
>>
>>386925796
Anon, you're confusing the voice of the creators of the game with the opinion of a character in it.
>>
File: DeusEx 2015-04-21 02-02-57-20.jpg (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DeusEx 2015-04-21 02-02-57-20.jpg
116KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>386927527
>public
You didn't get it. You desire the feeling of someone somewhere judging you, a higher being of sorts that knows everything about everyone. Not public shaming by your peers.
>>
>>386927527
There's a big difference between simply being judged and insane people having your address and going to your house/sending you things in the mail.
>>
File: 1445471854485.png (312KB, 1680x820px) Image search: [Google]
1445471854485.png
312KB, 1680x820px
>>
File: DeusEx 2017-01-31 11-43-03-11.jpg (103KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DeusEx 2017-01-31 11-43-03-11.jpg
103KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>386927625
>You desire the feeling of someone somewhere judging you, a higher being of sorts that knows everything about everyone.

No, I don't. That's an incredibly obnoxious "you simple people" statement to make.
>>
File: 10029344.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
10029344.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>386928867
>>
>>386929783

Thank you for proving my point.
>>
>>386926172
this picture is FUCKING BANANAS man. imagine the odds...
>>
>>386917994
Not really, no.
>>
>>386921629
we're not even near "creating context" though. facebook and other shit just filters "bad words", bans people who uses them for couple of days, so it's nothing more than filtering content.

also, they're pretty much shit about it
>in poland, offensive word for gays and bicycle pedals are the same word
>a guy who ran facebook page of his bicycle-oriented fanpage got his page blocked because he was using this word too much while describing his pedals
>>
>>386926435
>Why the fuck do you think people hold on to internet anonymity so tightly?

Lol internet subcultures are not "normal" people. The modus operandi of normies is to post first ask questions later. The only thing they want is validation without judgement. The end game of western civilization is for anybody to be able to livestream footage of them fisting themselves without anybody replying in disgust. The only exception is for any anti-utopian beliefs or beliefs that go against unconditional validation to be persecuted to the fullest extent that the monolithic bureaucracy they all gladly volunteered for can. Nobody minds the panopticon, so long as they are able to debase themselves unjudged and to only persecute those who judge others.
>>
>>386926478
t. brainlet who doesn't follow recent events
>>
>>386928867
so are you saying that you do not desire feedback on how you are performing on the job?

When you are depressed or angry you don't need advice?
>>
>>386933674

People want help, not judgement. "Hi John, I've found it's quicker and easier if you do things this way." is far more likely to be accepted than "Why the fuck are you doing it like a retard! Do it my way, you dumb shit!" Any hint of judgement and people will naturally begin to push back.

Recognition of superiority is an individual gift to give and it must be earned, not something an individual can demand of a collective. The latter is almost always only achieved under duress. And there is no such thing as universal superiority. Nobody is ever followed 100%. Not even God.
>>
>>386934507
Kicking people's shit in produces better results though and the military proves this.
>>
>>386934740

The brutal drill sergeant is largely an invention of movies, kid.

The military is more concerned with reliability and conformity than raw performance results because consistency has more value to them. If you have the best people on the planet but aren't sure they are going to do what you ask then what fucking good are they? Especially considering what you ask them to do is often going to go against their morals or self preservation instinct. No, the reason why they would execute for mutiny was not because that produced the best results, it's because you cannot have the people you train to kill and equip to kill being unreliable and untrustworthy. Their will and their sense of individual identity must be as broken as is reasonable.
>>
What is it specifically that makes the hub areas of Deus Ex feel so alive and so real? Even Mankind Divided doesn't quite do it as well.
>>
>>386935625

Nothing does, you are imagining things.

If anything they felt noticeably dead but ostensibly there is a curfew and police state in effect so whatever.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.