[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why Dreamcast has such cult following,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: Dreamcast-Console-Set.jpg (2MB, 4540x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast-Console-Set.jpg
2MB, 4540x2200px
Can someone explain to me why Dreamcast has such cult following, even tho it had so little actually good games?
>>
File: thanksdoc.jpg (69KB, 432x531px) Image search: [Google]
thanksdoc.jpg
69KB, 432x531px
>>386895967
It had good games at the time, even if most were eventually ported elsewhere. It also had the best versions of some multiplats, like Soul Reaver and JJBA. It was also incredibly easy to pirate games (just burn n go), the online was novel, and the it had a few other fun gimmicks. That said, anyone who unironically likes it now is a nostalgia-fag. There are better versions of all its games on PC and other consoles, the online is obviously long dead, and (as should be expected for anything that isn't a gameboy) a lot of the hardware has failed over the years. It's 1000% not worth tracking one down nowadays unless you have a boner for playing 2000-era games on legit hardware.
>>
You know how people like to bah "Sonybros" and "Xbots" and such?

Well, once upon a time, we had "SEGAYs", who were the most notorious bullshitters and the root of the original console wars.
They happened to release the first and worst 6th gen console, which got one or two noteworthy games that were impressive by 1999's standards... but that's it.

All the competition that followed totally steamrolled over DC, and resulted of SEGA's theoretical "death" soon after.
>>
File: 24.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>386896582
>>386896709
>i watched a few videos of the console on youtube,here are my opnions about a machine that was released three years after i was born
>>
File: 1499131845063.png (70KB, 1426x674px) Image search: [Google]
1499131845063.png
70KB, 1426x674px
>>386896709
>root of the original console wars
Haha no, pic related. Does anyone have that screencap of the guy shitting on the NES and comparing it to an outdated IBM?
>>386896889
No sweetie, I'm 30 years old and have owned a DC since launch.
>>
>>386896889
Segay detected
>>
>>386896889
Nice story bro, but who are you quoting?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I was born in the 1980s, went through ALL major consoles of each gen, and DC was the most underwhelming machine of late 90s / early 00s, next to OG Xbox that is. Yet somehow a HUEG box that no one took seriously at first became the new behemoth of the industry.
>>
>>386897318
well done, now get a job and a girlfriend and leave this place, grandpa
>>
>>386897037
>Haha no, pic related.
You seriously think that Sony vs Nintendo was somehow "the root" of things?
Totally ignorant about the SEGA's entire "Nintendont" trash-campaigns and endless comparisons for years?

>>386897415
I've got a (shit) job, had a wife for 4 years now. She's playing BotW in livingroom as we speak, post-game platinuming it like a boss.
>>
>>386897318
>behemoth of the industry

A money dump that is only alive because Microsoft finances are infinite? There is not a single XBox that i would call good.
>>
>>386895967
Dreamcast had a really cool boot screen, general look, and a small handful of pretty much undisputed classic games like Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, and arguably Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Dreamcast was also just kind of cool because it was the first console to do things that later consoles like PS2 and Xbox did, such as online, and even Wii U, with asymmetrical gameplay in a sense. Dreamcast was also Sega's final console, and I think that alone gives people a greater appreciation for it now. I don't think Dreamcast was the most amazing console ever or anything, but there's something about it that's just kind of interesting and cool
>>
Qulity over quantitie, also its segas last console so it recives mystical unicon status
>>
>>386895967
Good question.

It did have a lot of good shit when it first game out though

Real question is where and when did Gamecubefags start coming out of the woodwork?
>>
>>386897494
>You seriously think that Sony vs Nintendo was somehow "the root" of things?
No, that's why I asked if anyone had a pic of the guy ragging on the NES, pay attention please.
>>
File: 1500295231777.png (71KB, 602x817px) Image search: [Google]
1500295231777.png
71KB, 602x817px
>>386897037
Do you have anymore of these?
Trying to build a collection.
>>
>>386895967
contrarians just cannot resist being huge faggots all of the time
they confuse their obscure taste with refined taste because they're idiots
>>
>>386897494
>he took the marriage meme
enjoy coming home from work one day to see your wife getting blacked
>>
>>386897512
>There is not a single XBox that i would call good.
Same, but somehow that shit ended up being THE industry standard platform most big games were scaled (down) to.
>>
>>386897708
We don't have niggers in our country, thank goodness. Plus she's a devoted Christian and has quite fancy, strict taste in men.
>>
>>386896582
My Samba De Amigo maracas have not been properly emulated on any other system. It's pretty much the main reason it's still plugged into my TV.
>>
>>386895967
It was the first sixth gen console, and it only had meaningful competition the year it died. It has a lot of cult favorite games as well as the best port of 90% of multiplat games, and it was extremely easy to steal games for.
>>
>>386896582
>There are better versions of all its games on PC and other consoles
name 5
>>
>>386896889
I was born 1990 and didn't even SEE a real Dreamcast till 2003. Saw the games on the shelf but always wondered what gen it was exactly because a lot of the games were also on PS1 like shadowman and Resident evil 3. I didn't really get it and so paid it no mind. Nice console design though.
>>
>>386898152
JSR, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, MvC2, Crazy Taxi, Third Strike, Ikaruga, Rez, Shenmue 2, etc had upgrades or HD rereleases on later platforms.
>>
File: SW0703000.jpg (286KB, 1000x1157px) Image search: [Google]
SW0703000.jpg
286KB, 1000x1157px
>Here's the console you always wanted son
>>
I absolutely love the Dreamcast but it came out when a shift in the market had already happened and was further happening. It has a ton of quality arcade ports but people weren't interested in pick up and play arcade action anymore. They had been introduced to long complex and story heavy home experiences like Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII. People didn't feel right paying $60 for something they can finish in an hour or two anymore even if the replay value was very high.
>>
>>386899478
Was Arcade games all Sega ever had? Were they banking on that popularity being enough forever? These days even some arcade games don't get arcade releases, look at SFV or really, don't.
>>
>>386895967
At the time, it was ridiculously next-gen. The graphics were mindblowing back then. It had online play. A new proper Sonic game finally came out. Soul Calibur was a joy. Best looking versions of multiplats at the time. MVC2.
Sega seemed like they were back on top, and people lined up for the things.

and then two years later, the machine died despite fairly strong third party support and about 7-8 million units sold because Sega was bleeding money
seemed a bit unfair

>>386899674
Sega's best work was always in the arcades. It's what made them so successful, and it's part of why the DC's failure hurt them so hard -- at that point, falling arcade revenues weren't enough. At least during the Saturn days, Sega was bring in a ton of money from their extremely popular Model 2 games (like how Daytona was the highest grossing arcade cab of all), which kept them afloat during their awful era of mistakes in the home market.
>>
>>386899674
Arcade titles were still heavily in demand during the 5th gen,its at the start of the 6th gen that casuals flooded the industry and demanded games to last longer and be more cinematic.
>>
Dreamcast was king of the offbeat vidya that was still in tune with gameplay above anything else. Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5, Elemental Gimmick Gear, Record of Lodoss War, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Ikaruga, all those fighting games, Maigo no Golem, Phantasy Star Online, etc.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.