[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Tropes you love >Sequel has new protag >Old character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1435727208479.jpg (48KB, 551x446px) Image search: [Google]
1435727208479.jpg
48KB, 551x446px
ITT: Tropes you love

>Sequel has new protag
>Old character is still an active part of the plot
>They're just as powerful as they were when you played them.
>>
>villain teams up with the protagonist to take down a bigger threat
>>
>Objective: SURVIVE
>>
>>386893356
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0LXsB6iGg

I still boot up reach every so often to play the last mission.
>>
>>386893212
Yakuza 4 did it well.

You fight Kazuma as Sajemia in chapter 2 and he is brutal as fuck

and then later on you play as Kazuma and fight the other two player characters in a 2v1 fight and there is a QTE where you manhandle both of them at once
>>
File: 1486875353288.gif (622KB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
1486875353288.gif
622KB, 375x211px
>edgy duel against a guy with a katana
>>
>>386893212
I wonder why don't more games do this. Everyone loves this shit or 'previous protagonist is now the villain' trope
>>
File: McClane.jpg (99KB, 500x727px) Image search: [Google]
McClane.jpg
99KB, 500x727px
>>386893212
>game makes you feel like a tough to kill, worn down action movie hero, barely scrapping by but still managing against all odds
>>
>main character of the first game is the final boss of the sequel

The ONLY time I didn't love this was Protoype 2, because Alex felt like a completely different character anyway.
>>
>>386894968
Because it didn't work well for MGS2
>>
>>386895317

MGS2 pulled a bait and switch. If they were up front about playing as a different character, people would have liked it a lot more.
>>
>>386895497
Only time it works well is with series that change the protagonist up with every installment

DMC4 was also hated because you didn't play as Dante at all times
>>
>>386895497
and made the new player character better
>>
>>386893303
this excludes FEAR3
>>
>>386893212
>weak as shit party member you get early on
>they gradually get better the longer you stick with them
>>
>MC can become so OP the game acknowledge you're fucking invincible
>>
>sequel's MC is an entirely new guy instead of being the first game's MC 2.0
>>
I love when there's some side character that is apparently so strong they don't actually care about the bad guy's evil plot to destroy the world.
>>
>game has multiple storylines which occasionally intersect.
RE6 was kinda shit outside of Mercenaries mode, but I liked that part.
>>
>>386893212
the only good part of drakenguard 2 was the handful of scenes where caim shows up dunks on everyone
>>
>You can play as the villain after you finish the game
>>
>>386893212
Didn't Golden Sun do this?
>>
>>386893212
>become best buddies with someone
>they betray you or you betray them
>have to kill best buddy
and
>sequel
>main character from previous game is there
>fucking dies
>bonus points if you kill him
I get a fucking boner when this happens
>>
File: 72.gif (2MB, 318x222px) Image search: [Google]
72.gif
2MB, 318x222px
>insignificant boss in the first game becomes important plot point in the sequels
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.