[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Splatoon 1 maps: >Pick a nice location >Nice smooth ramps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

File: 800px-S2_SturgeonShipyard[1].jpg (74KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
800px-S2_SturgeonShipyard[1].jpg
74KB, 800x450px
Splatoon 1 maps:
>Pick a nice location
>Nice smooth ramps and curves for easy fun travel
>Strategically placed cover
>A clear line of progression with side paths to help subvert choke points
Splatoon 2 maps:
>Boxes!
>Boxes boxes boxes!
>Absolutely randomly placed boxes
>Wide WIDE open flat environments LOADED WITH BOXES

I hate this level design. This is the biggest flop of level design since Hotline Miami 2.
>>
>>386861625

I mean I partially agree with you, but Splat2ns maps are much more congested and less open than Splat1s, like Mahi Mahi or Triggerfish
>>
Just bring back Walleye Warehouse and Saltspray Rig and I can forgive them.
>>
>>386862329

Bring back every Splat1 map except Mall and Underpass
>>
i blame esports
>>
File: Starfish_Mainstage_Thumbnail[1].jpg (110KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Starfish_Mainstage_Thumbnail[1].jpg
110KB, 600x338px
>>386862085
I'm not sure about that. You could say things are "Main path, path 2" and rarely "path 3" in splatoon 1 maps. Things like Kelp Dome were wide but not open, they had very defining walls. Splatoon 2 maps are either just 1 giant flat area or so tangled together that there's no sense of strategy in how you approach a level.
>>
File: 1432916174799.png (1MB, 1280x1758px) Image search: [Google]
1432916174799.png
1MB, 1280x1758px
>complains about marginally worse map design
>not the incredibly worse soundtrack
Im baffled that no one is complaining about how much worse the soundtrack is this time around.
Still a great game, but man they need to just port over all the splat1 content including the ost
>>
>>386862761
Underpass was fine after the fix. Mall might have been Splatoon 1's design philosophy to an extreme that made it a bad Splat 1 map but honestly after playing Splat 2, I kinda miss it. It was the extreme in the opposite end, just 1 long line with mild bumps, but I'll take it over flat and wide open.
>>
>>386863461
>marginally worse map design
This shit is WAY worse. I could tell you what the theme of each map is in Splatoon 1. I could tell you what they were each going for in terms of content. I cannot even begin to describe Splatoon 2 maps because they are such a clusterfuck and as such, it makes the whole game play like a death matchy clusterfuck.

Soundtrack is meh, but so was Splatoon 1's in all honesty. The few tracks I liked in Splat 1 mostly came in the post launch update.
>>
>>386863797
Honestly the only map I have a problem with is Moray Towers and thats from Splat 1, Humpback Pump is a better map than any from the first game. But yeah I agree that the best music came in the update, but thats still no excuse to not include it in this game.
>>
File: billy.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
billy.png
226KB, 468x345px
how the fuck did you guys procure a Switch? I can't find one anywhere. It's pissing me off. And every place online jacks up the price and I refuse to buy one almost 100 dollars over the regular price.
>>
>>386863996
There's a delicate balance you need to strike in a team based game like this that you have to form strategies around choke points. Obviously too narrow of a choke point is going to create too much defense but loosening it up too much creates zero defense. That's what Splatoon 2 is. Their idea of a choke point is the stage in Starfish Mainstage which is an area as big as the wide open parts of freakin Kelp Dome. This is really devaluing a lot of weapons that should have defensive potential in favor of just blaster kill weapons because everyone will be coming from every direction at all times. The splatling is the biggest casualty of this. I reached A+ with it in splat 1 but splat 2 it's completely ruled out as an option for me.
>>
>>386864240
I called Target, they said they had one then I bought it.
>>
>>386864240
I got told they restocked one day and ordered online pretty casually. Was an hour after it became available. Sold out pretty shortly after and apparently a lot of the time before the site was down, but it doesn't sell out THAT fast. You just have to be around when it's restocked.
>>
>>386864440
That is not at all what Splat2 is. Starfish Mainstage is the only one that is even close to that, and it still has chokepoints for TC and RM. SZ is more open, but that's fine. There are still sniper platforms and areas to sneak around and flank. The map design in Splat2 is better than it was in Splat1. They even fixed Mackerel so that it isn't just 3 longrange weapons shooting down hallways for the entire match
>>
>>386862329
Rig was dogshit.
>>
>>386864887
No, god no. Starfish Mainstage is not even close to the worst, that's the only one I can honestly think of as having any semblance of a design, even if it falls to pieces right after that stage into a clusterfuck box mess. Musselforge Fitness, Inkblot Art Academy, Sturgeon Shipyard, The Reef. ALL OF THESE MAPS HAVE ZERO PATHS. They all embrace fully the design philosophy of "No lines, wide open, clutter it with boxes!". The rainmaker in all of these goes from 0 to 100 in 5 seconds and I haven't seen a time out in Rainmaker in forever thanks to this outside of the splatoon 1 maps and sometimes Humpback.

And you think they made Mackerel better? Oh I'm sorry, yeah, you like chargers having ZERO VIABILITY apparently. Because they had a place where their range actually meant something, you cried. Making your way through Mackerel wasn't impossible thanks to chargers at all, there's 4 fuckin lines they would need to watch and a team of all chargers is not going to win. So instead what do we get? We get a generic center area that makes it play exactly like other maps right down to stripping it of it's fun splatzone setup where each side got their own zone and taking a zone was like capturing a base. No, now the entire map is all just centered in the center and never moves until a big push that instantly ends it.
>>
>>386865963
>ALL OF THESE MAPS HAVE ZERO PATHS
Are you dumb, or just retarded?
>>
>>386862329

>bring back Saltspray "your three mouthbreathing teammates head for the bottom of the map at the start of every game" Rig
>>
>>386866253
>Maps are as wide as they are long
>Zero hard cut offs or walls
Yeah, there's zero paths. This is so obvious in rainmaker for the reason I just described but you wanna know what makes it even more obvious? The amount of times they have to zig zag the tower around a flat area because it if actually just moved towards the enemy's goal, it would be over in 1 check point.
>>
>>386866730
>maps aren't linear garbage anymore
Good.
Sturgeon alone has more viable Rainmaker paths than any of the Splat 1 maps combined.
>>
>>386864240
Literally every Tuesday I see two or three at Target.
>>
>>386861625
>Hotline Miami 2
>bad level design
Sorry you can't barrel through the level with a bat like in the first game.
>>
>>386866848
>I sure am glad paths are gone
>These maps have better paths!
You are such a fuckin fanboy it hurts. At least make up your mind what you're arguing.

Wide open is shit for this kinda game, it makes 80% of your tools worthless and creates just a chaotic deathmatch environment.
>>
>>386866975
THAT WAS THE POINT OF HOTLINE MIAMI. It was a chaotic mad arcadey shooter, not a tactical peekaboo lure and shoot.
>>
File: shitdesign.jpg (21KB, 300x283px) Image search: [Google]
shitdesign.jpg
21KB, 300x283px
>>386865963
You're an absolute moron. Time outs happen all the time at high ranks in RM, there are plenty of lanes, and you have to be absolute ass to think chargers aren't viable in new mackerel. They have perches. They just can't shut down the entire map by shooting down the 3 hallways that the original had. SZ in original Mackeral was shit that only ended if a team was stupid enough to try to rush into the opponents base and die. Shit was a boring stalemate 90% of the game
>>
>>386867036
>paths are gone
But that's demonstrably wrong.
>>
I'm genuinely annoyed there isn't a farming weapon
>>
File: he_does_it.png (179KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
he_does_it.png
179KB, 500x475px
>>386864240
I never actively hunted for one, but I checked the electronics department every time I went to a store for something.
Eventually I found one in late June, which was actually the perfect time since it gave me a whole month to play Zelda, then I'd go right into Splatoon 2.
>>
>>386867208
>Time outs happen all the time at high ranks in RM
Like you would know high level anything splatoon. And once again your argument contradicts itself as you argue splatoon 2 is both better for not timing out and for timing out somehow. Splatoon 2 maps are NEVER a time out if you have a team that knows what you're doing. Once a team loses a significant number of players, there is NOTHING stopping someone who knows where they're going from just instantly winning.
>>
>>386867480
Sounds like Splat 1 Rainmaker if you removed Krakens.
>>
>>386867146
>I don't want to think things through waah waah

Coming off of the first game there's no excuse
>>
I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who was spamming his hate for the new maps in a thread yesterday, despite having no semblance of an idea of what good map design is. Notice how he says "it's cluttered with boxes!" and "it's wide open!" which are conflicting ideas. And the smooth ramps he is praising are way worse for swimming than flat surfaces. That was the one problem with Blackbelly. Not to mention that these "sidepaths" didn't even exist in old mackerel or were tedious and ineffective, like in Triggerfish
>>
>>386867583
I don't want to slow down and play peekaboo, I don't want melee to become absolutely worthless, I don't want to have to memorize a map because people shoot at you the instant they're in draw distance and have to hold down shift everywhere I go because the maps are so open that you have to see everything in advance. The fuckin speedrunners who have max ranked everything and can consistently play Hotline Miami 2 without dying even complain about how shit the design is in 2.
>>
>>386867791
It's wide open because there's no hard walls. Their substitute for this is just clutter it with boxes so the entire game has zero thought process beyond "shoot first" because the enemy could be literally anywhere on the map. There's no hard points where they can't just casually get past and behind you.
>>
>>386868114
>It's wide open because there's no hard walls
That was more of an issue in Splat 1.
>>
>>386866975
>>386867583

Nigga there isn't any fucking thinking to getting shot by an offscreen enemy because a level features multiple giant spanning open areas or hallways. Even with Shift there's tons of blind moments.
>>
>>386868384
That was not an issue. No one is having fun playing crazy blaster deathmatch. It was so much more fun when things like splash walls, chargers, splatling guns, echo locators, disrupters, and so on actually served a purpose.
>>
>>386867480
>as you argue splatoon 2 is both better for not timing out and for timing out somehow
where the fuck did I say that? I simply said that timeouts do happen in RM at high ranks. I never opposed that idea. I did, however, say that Port Mackerel is no longer a shitty stalemate for the whole match

>>386868114
how fucking stupid do you have to be to let opponents "casually" get past and flank you? They couldn't be "anywhere" cause they have to be in their own ink. If you're leaving places uninked and are suprised when people pop out from behind cover, you are beyond help
>>
>>386868663
But it was crazy blaster deathmatch in the first game, with krakens and zink minis sprinkled on top.
>>
>>386866701
>everyone always does whatever they want: the game because there's no sense of teamplay or communication: the sequel
>>
>>386867480
even losing 1 mediocre player is a significant number of players due to the turf mechanic.
>>
>>386868768
>He actually died to krakens
They were a "don't die" card but you had to be a complete chump to actually have them wipe your team. C rank fuckin detected. If you really cared about the game, you'd be complaining about super shields for giving you and the WHOLE TEAM invincibility while still keeping their ability to kill things at not point blank.
>>
>>386869345
Most of the weapons I played had a shit time pushing Krakens back.
>>
>>386869543
Oh no, that means you had to probably casually walk away from them and wait for them to wear off where in they would instantly die to you because they chased you with the kraken like a fuckin moron. The thing the kraken does for a good player is provide a way out of danger. It was pathetic for anything but pub stomping.
>>
>>386869345
not that guy, but that's not the purpose of a kraken, you moron. A kraken would instantly kill any tower/rainmaker push and would secure your own tower push for another 15 ish ticks. Shit was broken for those objectives, overtimes may as well have not existed. That's in addition to it being a panic button that killed the viability of low range guns that weren't quick respawn lunas
>>
>>386869694
Oh wow, your super is to sit on a tower for a little bit and only the tower because that's the only mode where you've described any level of viability. What a useful thing to spend your super on.
>>
>>386869948
Yeah, cause killing any push in RM isn't worthwhile either, brilliant. Meanwhile, you're touting the bubbler, which, while still too good, required your team to group up, which rarely happened and would give the opponent time to see it and retreat. It lacked the movement, and thus, offered way less ability to pressure the objective. It was good for SZ, but kraken was better in the other two modes
>>
>>386864240
Just walked into a walmart at seven in the morning on launch day.
>>
>>386861625
Splatoon 2 has worst ultimate attacks, shitty maps, a worst rank system, no voice chat and its necessary on this game I don't give a fuck about kids they are not my sons and Im a god damn adult, I'm going back to gamestop, return this shitty ass fucking game and the console and buy something better, Nintendo sucks and its doomed.
>>
File: Splatoon-Arowana-Mall-Map.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Splatoon-Arowana-Mall-Map.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
Is it just me or were the splatoon 1 maps more memorable? It feels like splatoon 2's maps aren't cohesive, all the boxes and shapes sticking out of the ground make them look very messy.

>>386862761
fuck you I liked it
>>
>>386864240
Walmart usually has 5 or 6 whenever I go.
>>
>>386864240
don't worry about the console, is not worth it, I have one and there is nothing to do i had a Wii U and believe me, Splatoon for Wii U is way much better than this piece of shit and is cheaper, fuck the switch I still using my Wii U for virtual console, wii games, wii u games that are the same as switch, netflix.

Switch has... nothing, into the trash.
>>
>>386862761
Mall and Underpass (until the fix) were great, fuck off.
>>
>>386871320
It does have voice chat you silly troll.
>>
Reminder that Blackbelly Skatepark and Kelp Dome are coming soon.
>>
>>386872043
a shitty one you dumbfuck, is a fucking mess and you know that, but it seems that if nintendo does it is fine right? i dont care believe me if it was another company that wasn't nintendo you would be hating that move.
>>
>>386861625
Ya its a shit sequel time to move on and start hyping up Odyssey
>>
>>386870592
You can't Kraken with the rain maker, dumbass.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (2MB, 3260x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
2MB, 3260x2448px
oh, what's this?
>>
>>386873890
Where did I imply you could? Are you too stupid to understand the meaning of "kill any push"?
>>
>>386874078

It's a Nintendo Switch.

It's Nintendo's newest video game console. How do you not know this? Why are you on this board?
>>
>>386871431
I like Moray Towers, but I couldn't of any other S2 map I care about. And other people understandably hate Moray
>>
>>386867036
Open areas are good for this game because the gameplay style involves players creating their own lanes and paths even in wide open spaces because of the turf covering mechanic. Even in a huge open space, you can only move around it as freely as your ink coverage allows. With narrower, more defined paths, that aspect of the game is weakened. Your ability to deny the enemy team control of, or access to, an area is not strictly defined by how good you are at deterring them with lethal damage, but your ability to cover potential paths and hamper their movement. That's why open middle zones like Starfish Mainstage work, on top of the matter of vertical movement and how height differences can impact fights with certain weapons.
>>
>>386868114
>because the enemy could be literally anywhere on the map.

You know where they can't be? Places you've inked. Covering turf is less important in ranked modes than in turf war, obviously, but it's still important. You can create your own blockades and boundaries, you shouldn't need to rely entirely on the stage to funnel enemies to you through specific paths when the game is so thoroughly designed around area control.
>>
>>386863461
>Im baffled that no one is complaining about how much worse the soundtrack is this time around.
Presumably because they don't have shit taste like you
>>
File: git gud.jpg (109KB, 553x552px) Image search: [Google]
git gud.jpg
109KB, 553x552px
>>386861625
>>
File: 1445147734569.png (18KB, 626x551px) Image search: [Google]
1445147734569.png
18KB, 626x551px
>>386874078
>Nintendo Switch Dock Set
>$89.99
Gets me every time
>>
>>386861625
I hate to tell you this, but both of them are just call of duty for kids but with no voice chat on a shit console.
>>
>>386875910
But Nintendo's newest console is the Wii. Everyone knows this.
>>
>>386874078
irrelevant anecdotal "evidence"
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.