[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth playing for background on TPP? I've been binge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

Is it worth playing for background on TPP? I've been binge playing all the MGS mainline games and I heard Peace Walker was shit.
>>
TPP has no story so doesn't matter
>>
Peace Walker is decent if you play it on the MGS HD collection. Don't play it on PSP.

The Phantom Pain doesn't reference Peace Walker at all, just so you know.
>>
>>386860043
The gameplay is alright. Its more linear and individual room based like the first mgs. Bosses suck though, just vehicles and mechs.
>>
>>386860043
Just watch the story videos on youtube, its a fun game but its gonna take a bunch of hours to reach the real ending
>>
>>386860119
I want to understand the characters and I have no idea who I'm talking too in TPP besides ocelot. Should I watch a YouTube movie version of PW or would I get the most from playing it?
>>
I'd say its worth it for Kaz and the mother base mechanics. MGSV expands on mother base and you'd be familiar on who Kaz is from PW so yeah.
>>
>>386860317
Have you played Ground Zeroes?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>386860182
>The Phantom Pain doesn't reference Peace Walker at all
nigga, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>386860376
Yea and I was super confused on why I was rescuing a dyke and an annoying Mexican kid.
>>
File: download_1.jpg (11KB, 238x211px) Image search: [Google]
download_1.jpg
11KB, 238x211px
>>386860119
>>
>>386860182
Like half the characters were introduced in peace walker. What the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>386860043
HD Collection version is fine, but te psp version is shit. I like the story and I really loved the soundtrack for some reason. It's worth paying if you like the series and it helps you understand the evolution of big boss more.
>>
>>386860043
>More action oriented but with a good slice of stealth
>Great multiplayer at the time
>Lots of fucking guns to shoot anything that moves with.
>6 metal gears to fuck around with
>You hate grinding? Well too bad have some more
Don't listen to these shitters and just play the game. It's fun.
>>
>>386860043
Yes it's worth it. No it's not shit. The story takes place directly before the events in GZ so you need to play it if you want to know what's going on. There's also a ton of backstory on The Boss. The gameplay's alright, controls feel good, it's easy but then so's every other MGS. The game gets a lot of flak because it was based on Monster Hunter and tried to do the same "grinding a boss for mats" thing but tanks and APCs make for much less interesting fights, however all that is optional and in no way required to complete the game. Do look up how to get the real end though, you'll be lost without it and it requires having upgraded Peace Walker to a certain point IIRC.
>>
>>386860806
Forgot to say that the boss battles are pretty garbage, but bosses have always been pretty hit or miss in the series.
>>
Play the game if you consider yourself a fan of the MGS saga.
Otherwise you'll be a youtubewatching little pussy
>>
>>386860043

>I heard Peace Walker was shit

Stop listening to everything random faggots on /v/ say. They're contrarian, pretentious assholes.
>>
>>386861839
I'll give him a slight benefit of the doubt since I think the psp version is hot garbage, but the HD version is perfectly fine.
>>
PW is the best Metal Gear.
>>
>>386862102

The PSP version has some pretty meh controls, but it's still pretty great fun.

Though, I will agree, if you can play the HD version, definitely go for that.
>>
Not to hijack but is Portable Ops worth playing if I've already played MGS1 - V?
>>
>>386861839
>>386862102
Actually I heard it from Sw1tcher and I generally trust what they say about Metal Gear. Not so much anymore cause I loved 2 and I like Raiden. They don't.
>>
>>386862308

Play it on an emulator so you can have proper controls. Playing it on a PSP is a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>386862308
OP here. I've asked that in a thread before and I they generally said no. I don't believe it's canon.
Try out MG1 and MG2 Solid Snake. Those are canon.
>>
>>386862352
I'll give it a whirl
>>386862471
Yeah I'm intending to play them. Should've done them first but I'm a pansy. Going to play Twin Snakes too.
>>
>>386862308
Ehhh. It's got the old 1-3 controls, or as well as they could be translated to a PSP. Also the prototype of the soldier kidnapping mechanic in PW+. Story is decent fun and self-contained. What have you got to lose by trying it out? Worst thing that can happen is you don't like it and drop it after 1-2 hours.
>>
>>386862308
It's like Metal Gear 2 Lite with lot's of dragging and awkward controls.
>>
>>386862308
It's not a good game. Oh it has fun controls, like 1, 2, and 3, and playing on an emulator can fix the shitty psp controls, but the design of it is shit.

Base building is beyond bare bones and pointless, you need to drag bodies across the entire map to capture since there's no fulton, you have this stupid stamina meter than can only be refilled by hiding in a corner, then changing to a separate character who spawns back at the map start forcing single player co-op, if the stamina runs out you die, and guards respawn constantly fucking up everything. Portable ops is garbage
>>
>>386860182
this guy is a massive faggot.
TPP is built around PW story and referenced everything in the game, and it was better on the PSP but the HD collection has online co-op, though it is dead
>>
>>386862308
PO has one of the better stories of the franchise and the best villan, unfortunately it started the recruitment cancer shit that found it's way into MGSV.
You can skip it if you like, it is similar to PW in that it is a grind, mission based, collectathon and recruiting
>>
>>386860043
Stop playing now faggot.
The series ended with 4
>>
File: mgs pw tactical dicking action.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
mgs pw tactical dicking action.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>386860043
>>386860516
>Is it worth playing for background on TPP?
No.
It's worth playing for ITS OWN story and events.
Seriously, Peace Walker is goddamn awesome. I got over 300 hours clocked on the HD port on PS3, and would gladly do it again. The MP features are great fun too.

People call PW nowadays an "MGS5 prototype", but in reality, MGSV ended up being a soulless wannabe copy.
>>
File: PW - it's not for kids.jpg (75KB, 601x475px) Image search: [Google]
PW - it's not for kids.jpg
75KB, 601x475px
Yes, though you 'll soon notice that PW is the superior MGS game.

>>386862654
>It's got the old 1-3 controls, or as well as they could be translated to a PSP
Nope. It has its own weird free-camera control scheme, which is totally fucked up on PSP thanks to no second analog stick.

>>386864810
>and it was better on the PSP
No, it really, really was not.
I got tired of it in less than couple hours on PSP, and it wasn't until PS3 remaster that I truly fell in love with it.

>>386865636
No. Fuck you.
>>
>>386865943
Fuck your mother you cumslut pleb.
>>
>>386866296
>MGS2
>ludo
holy kek, you MGS2 fangirls really love to blow that SHITTIEST GAME in series out of its boundaries! I bet you haven't even played it in years / never ever.
>>
>>386866420
I just played it a week ago and I kinda agree with the ludo thing. It does make you kinda think of its true but then you realize keeping a secret organization that controls the world secret would be damn near impossible. Campbell ai said they control research results and studies. No fucking way that shit would fly flawlessly. Someone would whistleblow the shit out of it.
>>
>>386866420
Buy the fucking hd collection faggot
>>
>>386866692
I already did years ago.
And the Legacy Collection.
And I have both OG and Special Editions of OG PS2 release on my shelf as well.

It was shit back in 02, and it's extra shit today.
>>
>>386866657
>It does make you kinda think of its true but then you realize keeping a secret organization that controls the world secret would be damn near impossible.
It's already true though.
See: Google, Facebook, NSA.
>>
>>386866657
>No fucking way that shit would fly flawlessly. Someone would whistleblow the shit out of it.
When American school teachers can be forbidden from teaching about the benefits of using a condom during sex, fucking anything is possible in this world.

It's even worse if you've born to a world run by lies and deception, and don't know to even suspect any of it.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.