[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>one shot kills unless you follow specific arbitrary rules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 2895081-cover_b.jpg (110KB, 452x640px) Image search: [Google]
2895081-cover_b.jpg
110KB, 452x640px
>one shot kills unless you follow specific arbitrary rules and set paths

This is why horror games suck ass. This doesn't make them scary, only annoying to play.
Gameplay is secondary in games like this.
>>
>>386825525

I'd much sooner criticize The Evil Within for that before Resident Evil 7. I can't even think of any noteworthy instances in that game, the worst enemies by far were four legged Molded on Madhouse and if memory serves me right those guys took two solid blows to kill you.
>>
What do you mean? I don't really remember that happening other than the garage fight that took me a couple times to get.
But yeah, I would prefer games to have more player agency.
>>
>>386825818
The only parts of TEW that followed this dumb design philosphy was right at the beginning when you had no weapons.

After that it actually played like a game. Sneaking around was better and you always knew if you were hidden or not. A character didn't just warp up to you out of the blue because he was scripted to magically "hear" you or something.

It started early on with the Dad in RE7 and just kept piling on the shit.
Maybe I'm stupid for playing horror games for the gameplay, but when the devs start putting higher value on trying to scare me (which always fails) over making a well playing game I just can't take it anymore.
>>
>>386825525
Have you tried not being bad at video games?
>>
>>386825525
I guess you're playing on madhouse? i don't remember this happening at all on normal
>>
Have you played more than an hour?

RE7 has a normal health mechanic and enemies except for a few scripted sequences.
>>
>>386826412
>Have you tried not being bad at video games?

Maybe you should tell the devs that, since horror games are barely games. They're designed to intentionally play poorly and take away control from the players hands. All this just to try and throw the player for a loop in a cheap attempt at trying to scare them.

So stop being bad at game design.
>>
>>386826187

Off the top of my head every Laura encounter was a one hit kill affair in TEW, even the proper fights, and I haven't played the game in nearly 3 years. Jack also doesn't have any guaranteed one-shot kills as far as I can recall.
>>
>>386825525
>>386826187
>>386826527
>A game's not a game if it's too hard for me
lol
>>
>>386826527

>They're designed to intentionally play poorly and take away control from the players hands.

Being being capable and in control is anathema to a decent horror experience.
>>
>>386826527
Not him, I'd argue with you, but since I saw that Doom video from Polygon, I can't take any criticism towards "difficulty" anymore. You should try to get better at video games, friend.
>>
>>386826574
>Off the top of my head every Laura encounter was a one hit kill affair in TEW, even the proper fights, and I haven't played the game in nearly 3 years.

It was a visible chase sequence that was telegraphed. You can also kill her. There is no retarded warping and shit going on.

>Jack also doesn't have any guaranteed one-shot kills as far as I can recall.

As I said, it starts right at the beginning (after the dinner) and just keeps going.
>>
>>386826527
could you please list some moment in RE7 where you felt that you didn't have control? you can literally dodge every attack that isn't in a cutscene
>>
>>386826801

>It was a visible chase sequence that was telegraphed.

You also fight her properly twice and she can one-shot you just for shits and giggles in both encounters. Not chase sequences, actual boss fights.

>There is no retarded warping and shit going on.

Funny you mention that, another insta-kill in TEW is the randomly spawning Ruviks in the mansion chapter.

>As I said, it starts right at the beginning (after the dinner) and just keeps going.

He has no one-hit kills at that point, or at all. At full health you can always tank at least one blow from him, and he's certainly blockable so it's not like that should matter too much anyways.
>>
>>386826801
He has no one shot abilities. The only time in the game where you can fuck up with no chance to survive is when jack takes control of the car in the garage and drives crazy till you die.
The whole sequence after the dinner scene you can completely avoid him with stealth or simply run away and move on to the next area.
>>
>>386826630
>>A game's not a game if it's too hard for me

You must love games that are "difficult" for the wrong reasons then. Shit camera, bad controls, poor game design? Never the devs fault, always the player because they didn't "git gud", right?

>>386826647
>Being being capable and in control is anathema to a decent horror experience.

Which is my point. They sacrifice gameplay.

>>386826675
>Not him, I'd argue with you, but since I saw that Doom video from Polygon, I can't take any criticism towards "difficulty" anymore

You think I'm bad at videogames and I'm just whining? I'm someone that likes well designed challenge. I have beaten most DMC games (not DMC2 and DmC) on the higher difficulty (usually Dante Must Die). I beat Doom no problem. Etc.
I'm literally saying that the games are designed to play worse to try and make them scary.
This would be like if Doom's gameplay was dumbed down to try and tell a better cinematic story.
>>
>>386827059

>Which is my point. They sacrifice gameplay.

Survival horror isn't the genre for you if this bothers you. That's understandable though as it's a niche appeal.
>>
>>386827002
>another insta-kill in TEW is the randomly spawning Ruviks in the mansion chapter.

I see you don't understand what I mean when I say warping.
I'm talking X enemy is on the other side of the house, but because you stepped on an invisible trigger said enemy is scripted to spook you, so they're moved directly to the player. Even though it makes no sense as to how they would know you're there suddenly after searching for you for 5 minutes.
It's shit game design.
>>
>>386827257

Assuming I'm talking to OP your original argument was about one shot kills. That's what I've been questioning this entire time, what one shot kills are you talking about?
>>
Only thing that bothered me was
>game has brutal death animations
>game also has brutal non-death animations
>you never know if you die or if it's a part of the game
>>
>>386827257
Not the other guy, but Jack only warps to you in the bathroom tub scene on normal mode.
I really do think that you are exaggerating the degree to which this happens, and even then, you can ALWAYS get out of the situation. I don't really understand how this is an example of taking player control away and sacrificing gameplay, when it actually introduces a fair challenge (at least on normal mode).
>>
>>386827376
I expected to die like three times in the opening part.
>>
>>386826527
>Capcom removes tank controls from Resident Evil
>they even toss in first person aiming and moving
>casuals still mad they can't sprint insanely fast from enemies

Shit son, Dying Light is pretty much not scary because of how easy it is to climb and run from volatiles at night.

If you can't get used to a modern horror games control scheme then you're hopeless. A person who's at least competent at games can learn a new games control scheme and get used to them to complete and enjoy said game.
>>
>>386829486
>>they even toss in first person aiming and moving

You do realize this is a hindrance, right? It is far more limiting for your vision than a 3rd person camera.
Stealth also becomes clunkier, especially if you don't have a lean system or a system that tells you that you're in cover (like in Riddick where the screen tints blue).

To use TEW previously mentioned, it controls and plays much better.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.