[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people complain about having to fight multiple enemies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: 2555227-ds2clean.jpg (75KB, 394x570px) Image search: [Google]
2555227-ds2clean.jpg
75KB, 394x570px
Why do people complain about having to fight multiple enemies at once so much?
>>
>>386823760
Game isn't built for juggling enemies: the lock on mechanic is imprecise and unpredictable
>>
>>386823760
Mostly because ds2 has such weird movesets. Using a great weapon in ds2 is rough
>>
>>386823802
Then don't use lock on, idiot.
>>
>>386823802
Then don't lock on?
>>
>>386823802
That's every souls game though.
>>
>>386823962
>weird move sets
>ceastus stance right heavy is a fucking spin attack
I swear they were high when the came up with half the weapon move sets
>>
>>386824053
>right heavy
Oops ment left.
>>
>>386823760
They like Dark Souls for the epic praise the sun and giant dad memes, not for what it is.
>>
>>386824053
The one handed r1 for great hammers and great axes is truly retarded too. Such an awkward lurch and slam
>>
>>386823760
Game is designed for z targeting, only works with 1 enemy. "Don't lock on" isnt an argument because the combat system was built around it
>>
>>386823802
>>386824715
>muh lock on
>meanwhile the first time I plays a souls I had no idea lock on was a thing until anor londo when my brother told me
Made me really good at 2hand UGS i feel
I probably use lock on less than half the game for every title, even BB
>>
>>386825335
i regularly don't use it either if the situation requires it but the combat system isn't designed for that style of play. if it were, the camera system would be different for starters. there's a dissonance between how the combat works and how a lot of the enemy encounters are designed. i personally don't mind it because ive become accustomed to it but it's easy to see why people complain. it's no just a case of 'git gud' either, it's a case of how the game has been designed, and whether or not it's been designed well, regardless of how well you can bend the system or condition yourself to not care about it
>>
My biggest issue with this is having to look for an opening where you don't get punished for so long. Second issue was that the enemies often had a shield with them, so you couldn't just use a sweep weapon on openings because then you get punished during the stagger animation. Then because the punishes can be very fatal to you, as you die as fast as your enemies do, having enemies constantly out of vision because of the camera limitations gets tedious and might force you to look for some gear that gets you poise, since you stagger on hit too otherwise. This was especially shit if there was a mix of melee and ranged enemies.

I had some other points in mind when I started typing this but forgot. These aren't even the reasons I dislike the game, as I can adapt, but the lifeless world and NPC's just kill it for me.
>>
>>386823760
Stop acting like its a new thing to pay off journalists/Reviewers to shill a game. FS B-team realized how bad in comparison it was to the previous souls and payed off reviewers, its nothing new and its done all the time. Sotfs is probably the most accurate meta critic we'll get for dark souls 2.
>>
>>386823760
because people are fucking stupid

there is such a huge arsenal in the game to fight multiple enemies but the first time people can't safely backstab they instantly go for muh artificial difficulty. Most mobs even had shit like explosive barrels or oil lying around.
>>
>>386826845
So the huge arsenal is ranged weapons and a few AOE spells? A small percentage of all offensive options in the game?
>>
>>386823760
You underestimate how retarded people are.
>>
>>386823802
Even with hordes of enemies, this is the easiest souls game by far
>>
>>386824052
They're easy to manage in BB and DaS3 dude to the faster mechanics. In DeS and DaS there also aren't as many gangbangs.
>>
This is the only souls game I never managed to finish, should I start it again?
I have the Scholar of the first sin edition for Playstation 4™
>>
>>386828976
Hell yeah boy, don't believe the memes, its just kiddies trying to fit in. Sure it looks ugly in some places but who gives a fuck. Its the most fun I've had in a Souls game and it lasts. Only problem is its the easiest.
>>
>>386823802
>doesn't know how to use a menu
Do you review games for IGN?
>>
>>386823760
They lock-on.
They can't parry
They can't roll
But most importantly they can't position.

>>386827004
Case in point, a well placed ultra or great weapon is better at crowd control than any ranged kite in the game, which is just a waste of time. Relying on magic to AOE is going to get you fucked in the DLC's too, I had to switch to the physical enchant of the MLGS and work with that.
I could imagine having trouble with some cheesy shit like stagger locking single target with daggers, but I mean holy fuck.
There's a reason the longsword is considered one of the best weapons in the game, and it actually has an extremely versatile movepool on top of R1.
>>
>>386828976
You have it you might as well
>>
File: 1485400274593.jpg (74KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485400274593.jpg
74KB, 600x600px
>>386823760
>Why do people complain about having to fight multiple enemies at once so much?

The game wasn't designed for it.

In general the combat is pretty poorly designed. Compare it to Nioh's and it's like night and day.
>>
>>386829710
>>386830086
Guess I know what I'll do when I get off work, thanx famalams
>>
>people think lock-on is the problem

If you want your player to properly be able to fight multiple enemies in melee you don't use a camera placed behind the player and too zoomed in. You also then don't design elements that require specific directions. Etc.

This is basic action game design.
>>
>>386823760
If I were them I'd be complaining about how the game fell short of the 1st in every single way

Only thing good it did was give me the Faraam Armor Archdrake too
>>
>>386827004
helbard, great swords/ultra great swords
consumables
pyromancies, free for everyone
spells/hexes/miracles
environmental hazards that you can trigger

>b-but I can't do it with a straightsword
you can even just lure them to choke points and kill them one by one
>>
camera isn't good for it, fundamentally the game isn't designed for it, end of discussion, multiple anons have pointed this out i'm not sure why people are still trying to argue a case for it with "but these weapons swing further!"
>>
It's not really the issue of multiple enemies. It's multiple enemies placed in a brainless way.
>>
>>386831327
That's not really often the case though in default DaS2+DLC outside of the designated shitting areas in the DLC.
>>
>>386829710
>don't believe the memes
you mean shitposters who post the "DaS2 was good" meme?
>>
>>386823760
It's not that it's difficult but that DS2 so obviously uses it as a crutch. That quite literally used quantity over quality. Why program unique and crazy enemies when you can just put five of the same big asshole with three moves in the same room within earshot of each other?
>>
>>386833424
it makes me laugh when people unironically say it's the best souls game because it has the most content
>>
>>386823760
the game is not designed around it and nearly every fight is a gank squad
>>
>>386833424
It's not like it doesn't have some fairly unique and crazy (what even is the definition or benefit of a crazy enemy?) enemies.
And generally speaking most multiple enemy encounters in DaS2 also involve at least a decent degree of planning for using the provided environment and enemy setup to your benefit.
It is roughly as bad as DaS3 really in terms of its encounters though I think DaS3 is a fair bit worse most of the time.
>>
>>386834580
DaS2 is far worse than DaS3 with its encounter design, IMO.
>>
>>386834580
At least DS3 though still using the crutch, at least makes more sense than "these shambling mindless warriors have been watching the door you're about to walk through for the past two thousand years."
>>
>>386834716
I don't think it is significantly worse.
DaS3, much like DaS2, relies a lot on encounters with multiple enemies and while actually weighing the two up more precisely would be a significant amount of effort, I think in terms of encounter design DaS2 offers more varied enemies (at the very least in terms of how you have to approach them) in more unique situations than DaS3 does.
I'm not entirely sure but as far as I can recall DaS2 also relies less on scripted encounters with repeated level triggers than DaS3 though DaS3 is far more fresh in my memory than DaS2 is.

>>386834875
>These shambling mindless villagers have been waiting thousands of years for you to pass this point to start walking out this door
>These staggering, maddened hollow slaves have been clinging to the walls of this fortress for centuries just so that you can throw a dagger at them and they can try to not glitch out while dropping down
>These abyss ridden, bloated legions of dead and forgotten soldiers have been waiting thousands of years under a thin layer of muck for you to reach the bottom of these stairs so they can start going up the stairs
>These two warriors from a distant land and one game ago have been waiting thousands of years for you to approach these stairs so they can buff their weapons with dark and go after you
I can do the same thing. All of these games take place in the ruins of dead civilizations.
>>
>>386835485
>DaS2 offers more varied enemies
lolwat? Are you serious?
>>
>>386835645
What is your problem with the statement
>DaS2 offers more varied enemies (at least in terms of how you have to approach them)
DaS3 generally reuses a lot of enemies across all of its areas and the design of combat leads to most enemies being fought in relatively similar fashions.
Even if you want to meme that DaS2 is all knights with weapons the statement still holds relatively true.
>>
>>386823760
people don't know how to aim without lock on
>>
>>386823760
Because memes. DS2 was the first Souls game that I beat without a shield and I've always found it odd that people complain about having trouble with the combat.
>>
It kills pacing by dragging every minor encounter out as long as possible waiting for openings. DaS2 has to be one of the most padded out things I've ever played solely due to that bad design philosophy.
>>
>dude you must just suck at it
>dude you just don't understand how to play
>dude i played it this specific way why didn't you?
Why do people always say these to defend this poorly designed game? Are they just trying to justify the time they wasted on it as time spent "mastering the mechanics"?
>>
>>386823760
because they are fucking casuals
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.