[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

serious question what's the point in collecting consoles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

File: console_collection.jpg (56KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
console_collection.jpg
56KB, 600x450px
serious question

what's the point in collecting consoles and video games?

I'm looking at my collection, there are many games just sitting in the boxes, same with consoles

I don't play them anymore, they're just.... there

do we really need those things? we could get some extra money out of it and buy new stuff
>>
>>386759946
A few years ago I sold off all my old consoles, games, accessories, everything.

I didn't really need the money but I was tired of wasting a whole bookshelf in my living room on stuff that was just taking up space.

About once a year or so I have some friends over and it would be nice to be able to bust out my old n64 for goldeneye or something but it isn't worth the hassle of storing it to make it worthwhile.

I say if you don't use it regularly, sell it. Life's too short to hold onto /stuff/ for its own sake. You have the memories and if you ever desperately want to play somethibg just download it.
>>
So you have a library you can always go back to, idiot
>>
>>386760280
exactly my point
>>
File: 1466703935350.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1466703935350.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>386760280
First post best post.
>>
>>386759946
there is no point since nintendo wiiu can be hacked to emulate all nintendo games. Same goes with flash carts and emulatere.
>>
Some of us collect stuff with the simple goal of archiving in mind.

Some day, these artifacts of their era will be no more. Their games and historical influence potentially completely forgotten. Their creators long gone and even dead.
In such time, if even one copy of these items survives via the numerous private collections out there, we have salvaged a piece of the entire media's history.

If you start to judge things in your life with that grey and dull "Do I NEED this?" questions, you better just become a monk. Games especially are a pure luxury, a spice of life, and being an interactive media format, a chunk of their appeal can only be truly experienced through the original hardware.

Finally, I'd argue that a lot of that "new stuff" is absolutely awful.

>>386760989
>there is no point since nintendo wiiu can be hacked to emulate all nintendo games.
it's N64 emulator sucks ass.
Emulation is a fine alternative method of archiving old stuff, but it's often far from perfect and accurate.
>>
>>386760280
Some years ago I used old consoles a lot with friends, but now local multiplayer is coming back so I just keep some extra controllers for my pc now
>>
>not having a PC hooked up to your 4KTV in the living room

I was in this same position before I realized there was a way to play every console ever made up to the fifth gen on both original and enhanced settings with one machine.
>>
I had this with books, 2-3 years ago I sold almost everything, but I think the problem isn't collecting by itself but you are constantly incentivized to take everything you can instead of just keeping the things that even if you don't use constantly you look at them from time to time to reminisce
>>
>>386759946
>No PC Engine
>No Neo Geo
You have bigger problems than that OP
>>
>>386759946
If you see yourself literally never revisiting any of your older games/systems, then go ahead and sell. However, do realize that anything remotely valuable you have that you sell will be a pain in the ass to buy back if you ever do decide you want to play it again on the original hardware
>>
Last year I sold EVERYTHING. No regrets.
>>
>>386761131
true n64 emulation sucks. its one of the exceptions. However you should get a flash cart instead of trying to collect everything
>>
>>386759946
Serious question.

What's the point of collecting postage stamps?

I'm just looking at my binders full of sticky paper. Just sitting there collecting dust.

I don't look at them anymore, they're just.... there

Do we really need these things? We could get a me extra money out of it to buy new stuff
>>
>>386763990
sell them
>>
>>386763618
flashcards are fine and all, but won't give you the satisfaction the original boxes and manuals bring.
Plus what's with modern generation opposing fancy, well kept libraries?
>>
>>386765509
im nearly 30. My collection is huge. I dont have any old boxes because they were just cardboard, and because of that I have no old manuals. I think a good collection is better than a big one. Ive been down sizing my collection to just things I cant emulate, and using that money on consoles, controllers, and flash carts.
>>
>>386766359
I'm the same age as you, and besides some exceptions, I only collect the pure cream on the top -level games and consoles. I do however prefer them in as complete package as possible, and I've even started to hunt some old classics again at adult age.
>>
I like to revisit games. I don't collect anything other than Sony games though so my collection won't get too big.
>>
>>386759946
Give them to me, then.
>>
>>386768627
give me your address
>>
>>386759946
You'll just regret selling them later.

I love collecting old consoles because I see them as pieces of gaming history.
>>
>>386761131
>Some of us collect stuff with the simple goal of archiving in mind.

That's a pretty retarded goal, since nearly all games are archived digitally.
>>
>>386759946

>collectorfag thread
>LOL JUST PIRATE XD

every fucking time
>>
>>386770119
>>386759946

why collect anything
why keep anything
why buy anything that isn't needed for your direct and immediate survival or pleasure
why exist
why anything
>>
>>386770581

This. I collect shit because I enjoy it. I like selling high and buying low. Finding that gem in a bin at a pawn shop/yard sale. Seeing if a newer item suddenly becomes hard to find and goes up in price. Busting out an old console and letting my kids play on it.

I dunno. It doesn't have some big life affirming meaning. It's just a hobby, like playing my guitar/keyboard.
>>
>>386770581
I don't collect anything, I don't keep anything that isn't needed for my survival or pleasure. I don't need my life being weighed down by a bunch of useless bullshit. You can keep you stacks of video games if you want, I'd rather not.
>>
>>386770873
>I don't need my life being weighed down by a bunch of useless bullshit.

Yet you post on 4chan.
>>
>>386770581
>why buy anything that isn't needed for your direct and immediate survival or pleasure
>why exist
>why anything
you went too far. and yes, collecting anything is fucking pointless
>>
>>386771223
That's utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand. What point are you trying to make here?
>>
>>386760280
>a whole bookshelf in my living room
there's your problem. I have 1 container tucked away in the back corner of my closet that has all my game cases. All my discs are in a few wallets in my room. Consoles are stored under my tv stand where they belong.

I only have games for systems I care about. Got a flashcart for my 64 because I hate the 64. Can provide pics of anything ya'll want
>>
>>386771232
>>386771414

the point is that you are sayign that collecting is pointless because it doesn't mean anything and yet you are wasting time and money posting on a taiwanese pottery board talking about it. In short, you are a hypocrite and judgmental as fuck.
>>
>>386771556
We're discussing wasting space, not wasting time. I don't want my house clogged up with useless bullshit. Wasting time on the interwebs is irrelevant.
>>
>>386771556
I'm just gonna kill myself
>>
>>386771489

>keeping discs in a cd wallet

enjoy your scratches faggot. Keeping CDs in cases where they lie somewhere rubbing against a surface area was the biggest meme of all time.
>>
>>386769042
I'm in Russia. Will you send?
>>
ITT: I just impulsively sold all my games and I'm starting to regret it. Can someone give me reassurance.
>>
oh lawdy /vr/ would have a field day with this thread
>>
>>386771832
nah
>>
>>386771651
>I don't want my house clogged up with useless bullshit.

so boxed vidya is useless but animu waifu statues are okay?
>>
>>386771937
I can't imagine how you think I was implying that in any way.
>>
>>386770763

>letting your spawn touch your stuff without them understanding what it is

you have more trust than i ever would
>>
>>386759946
>3 dreamcasts

My nigga.
>>
>>386759946
>what's the point in collecting consoles and video games?
There is no point. You do it because you want to. Just like all those animufags who pay hundreds of dollars for plastic figurines of their animu waifus, only real difference here is that the stuff you collect is interactive.

There is no shame in having this stuff, there's still people out there with lame shit like stamp/coin collections out there, if you like collecting consoles go ahead and do it, but if you don't or "You've lost that lovin feeling" then you might as well just turn to Ebay and sell it to someone who does.

>>386761131
>That one fag who seriously tries to preserve this shit so post-apocalyptic people find it and start worshipping the last working copy of Diddy Kong Racing
Kek. You keep believing that, ok.
>>
>>386772025

I'm sure he meant that you have a double standard SOMEWHERE. Just because it is useless to you doesn't mean you don't have chotchkies yourself they they would find frivolous. Like say you had guitars, vinyl albums, toys, comic books, movies or model trains and you told someone they were stupid for collecting physical vidya because you could just emulate you'd be called out for being a fucking idiot.
>>
>>386771556
collecting is pretty pointless desu but then again so is something like watching football
>>386771651
I don't mind having a bin that 10x8 in my closet that has a bunch of games in it.
>>386771724
I'll enjoy them. If anything gets scratched to the point where it doesn't play I'll just bring it to get cleaned.
>>386771832
There's no excuse for it. If you sold all your games then they must have not been that important to you, if they were then you're just an idiot.

I pretty much only "collect" games that were relevant to me when growing up. Even then I only get stuff that peaks my interest and is unique in some way; not just spam buying everything I see. Although I'll agree with >>386770763 it's a fun hobby to buy low sell high and keep whatever I want.
>>
if I sell something on ebay. how much do those fuckers keep for themselves?
>>
>>386772451

>I pretty much only "collect" games that were relevant to me when growing up.
>staying in your lane because MUH NOSTALGIA
>not buying shit you missed when you were younger
>not trying new things

pleb tier. I don't hate casual collectors that only collect what they grew up with but it shows how much they don't care about vidya if they only stay within the bubble of of their previous perceptions.
>>
>>386772364
I'm not saying I don't have or do anything frivolous, just that I don't like my frivolous things to take up a lot of space. People who collect video games like to keep the boxes, manuals and shit, but all that just takes up too much room. I like to keep my house relatively free of things that suck up space without providing much in return.
>>
>>386759946
>what's the point

I don't want to be an edgy nihilist, but there is no point in anything in this life. We do whatever makes us happy. Just like some women like collecting purses and shoes and not even use them, we buy a lot of physical games to have a good collection (even if we don't play them), and that alone makes us happy. If you feel as if your collection is wasting your space and is just a bother, go ahead and sell it, but if it makes you feel as if you have something going for and it makes you smile, then by all means, continue collecting. This is why I don't agree with >>386760280 , because if you really take everything that objectively, be true to that objectivity and just kill yourself because nothing in this world matters in the slightest and human life is devoid of meaning. Oh, have I gone too far?
>>
>>386772964
>I don't want things taking up space pointlessly
>therefore nothing in life has meaning

This is the most retarded logic and you should feel bad
>>
I stopped even trying to sell my old games, I just give them away now. Most of the games I like can be emulated perfectly or nearly perfectly, or can be replaced with flash carts.
>oh not I got rid of this game and now I want to play it again
I can just buy it online, play it, and resell it when I'm done for around the same price. Now it's not rotting in my collection and somebody else can play it.
>>
>>386761131
>collecting is archiving
>thinking the EPROM in the cart will last forever

Dumping the games is archiving, not hugging onto a seal boxed that you won't let anyone else touch like some hoarding rat. Collectors who posses prototypes of games and will not dump them are also the ultimate cancer.
>>
>>386772529
>>
>>386773287
>not hugging onto a seal boxed that you won't let anyone else touch like some hoarding rat

there is a WORLD of difference between a guy keepign a boxed of Link To The Past because they grew up with it and some greedy jew that is hoarding the Bill Clinton's cat Bootsie platformmer because he is using it as a bargaining chip for his retirement fund.
>>
File: wallets.jpg (276KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
wallets.jpg
276KB, 1200x900px
>>386772451
pic reeelated
>>386772529
whatever you're trying to sell multiply the final price plus shipping by .129, ebay takes 10% and paypal takes its cut of 2.9%. Also yes they take away from what you charge for shipping too.

I prefer to just set shipping to free and compensate in the final price of the item. If i'm selling a game for 30 I expect to have 22 when all is said and done after I ship. If I'm selling a controller that could be way worse, selling a controller for 30 I wouldn't expect more than 18/19 back from it because shipping something of that weight will just be more expensive.

Really go big or go home. If you're not selling something thats cheap to ship then you're going to be fucking yourself unless the item is expensive and can compensate for it's own shipping

>>386772817
das me, I try new games that I never played before. But i'm not going to go out and buy an atari or a fucking master system because I'm suddenly a cool "retro gamer collector"
>>
>>386770581
Because, why the fuck not. That's why.
>>
>>386760280
kill yourself
>>
>>386773576
thanks. fuck ebay then
>>
>>386760305
thats what emulation is for
>>
>>386774229
Selling on Ebay is a rip off now. Plus the buyer can just troll you and give you a negative feedback even if you did nothing wrong and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>386773106

In what way have I correlated these 2 ideas? I just said that objectivity doesn't have to be the only factor in judging whether or not he should keep his collection or not. Did you skip primary school years and not learned how to proprerly read?
>>
>>386774229
absolutely

you can pay them like 20 bucks for a month where they give you a lower rate I want to say ~5% but that's still not even worth it. Just sell your shit on craigslist, but don't price it at ebay prices since they have to be inflated!
>>
>>386774568
I'll just sell the stuff here in my country. but it's hard because it's a 2million market
>>
Collecting is a waste of money if you can already emulate the game precisely in a correct manner.

It's however, not a big whoop if you are managing to get the stuff for under $30. As they always say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
>>
So I'm actually going through a bit of a clearout at the moment as OP and 1st pots suggests - I just don't use the stuff anymore.

Thing is I'm also about to buy a Sega Saturn on eBay 'cus I never touched it's library and I hear the emulation is absolutely shit?? I'm gonna mod it and play Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers and a whole load more that I sound really neat.

Is this a waste of time, or a worthwhile endeavour?
>>
>>386774568
its a ripoff but if you have a large stock and can optimize your shipping it's not bad. If you just want to sell 1 thing because money is tight then it's an awful decision
>>
>>386774836
waste of time and money
>>
>>386774615
>because if you really take everything that objectively, be true to that objectivity and just kill yourself because nothing in this world matters in the slightest and human life is devoid of meaning

Do you even read what you write?
>>
ITT: existential crisis
>>
>>386774836
og saturns are going to get usb loading somewhere in 2018, emulation as it is is good through mednafen too

itt follow your dreams but maybe avoid the modchip if you do purchase one
>>
>>386775325

I was actually planning on using a hacked action replay card with psuedo saturn kai on it, it's not a hardmod. What does the USB Loading thing mean?

Also I heard about Mednafen through retroarch is good but heard its compatability is still patchy.
>>
>tl;dr autists living in barren homes don't understand how people enjoy old hardware
darn shame
>>
>>386775535
Basically it plugs through the card slot at the back of the console and adds an usb port for you to jam isos in, it's still WIP but the video I saw of the prototype looked great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

Didn't know about the action replay method tho, I'd say that's good if it doesn't cost a hundred bucks
>>
>>386774478
emulation is shit
>>
>>386759946
in case you ever want to play/use the actual hardware again. If you don't, then sell it.

>>386769517
I sold my launch PS2 years ago but I regetted it this year and bought another one. Now I got games loading from an hdd and it's made me love the system again. Now I keep all my systems and started looking for physical copies of games (for ps3) I missed out on.
>>
I want to build my collection, literally and genuinely, because of autism. Autism very blatantly forms abnormally strong connections with physical inanimate objects, and as of such, physical video games bring me a strong sense of personal happiness just to have a tangible object to hold in my hands. Maybe it's a waste of space and money, but it just makes me feel happy to own tangible, physical games.
>>
>>386776063

You can load PS2 games off a harddrive?? I didn't know this was a thing!
>>
>tfw collecting console games and consoles from before 6th gen would be too much of a hassle to get a good product because PAL scum.
>>
>>386776319
Harddrive adapters cost a shitload though, you're better off hooking a raspberry pi or something tthrough ethernet to a ps2 slim and load your games through a usb plugged in it.

It's a godsend considering the lenses on ps2s fucking suck and it was an uphill battle to get it to read discs a few years ago already
>>
File: B T F O.gif (3MB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
B T F O.gif
3MB, 500x294px
>>386774127
>lmao manchild collectors absolutely btfo
>>
I just sold all my old consoles and games recently. Used the money to build an emulation station.
>>
>>386776824
what did you sell
>>
>>386775806
>Basically it plugs through the card slot at the back of the console and adds an usb port for you to jam isos in, it's still WIP but the video I saw of the prototype looked great
I'm buying a Saturn as soon as this is working.
>>
>>386777824
>mfw as soon as the dude releases his version chinamen will copy it and resell knockoffs at 90% off just like the vita sd adapters
God bless
>>
File: 20170810_162145-2016x1134.jpg (668KB, 2016x1134px) Image search: [Google]
20170810_162145-2016x1134.jpg
668KB, 2016x1134px
I have recently been thinking of selling all my N64 games and buying a everdrive cart and doing the same with snes. I love having physical copies of my games for display purposes and just picking up the game off the shelf and reading it.
Have also thought about ripping all my 360 games too and selling them.
>>
>>386778818
waste of space if you ask me
>>
>>386760280
an actual good first post
nice one, Anon.
That said I do really want to build a collection again
>>
It's more satisfying for me to play on the actual console instead of emulating
>>
>>386778818
Where did you get your cases from? Been looking for some
>>
>>386760280
I'm about to sell all of my old shit ad just use my raspberry pi. I was able to score one of those nes pi cases that sold out so I can pretend.
>>
>>386777517
NES + eight games
Genesis +16 games
N64 still in the box
OoT still in the box
GameCube still in the box
SNES + 12 Games
Game gear
XBox
I think that's it?
>>
File: 20170729_234423.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_234423.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I love to look at my games case spines every time I come back from work. It always feels special and there always something to play when I feel bored. Currently having fun with folklore and viking for ps3. I don't really trust digital distribution and my psn account from sony's recent track record.
>>
File: 1500940336398.png (397KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1500940336398.png
397KB, 640x480px
>>386760280

Almost the same here. Worked at a vidya store before retro prices went fucking bonkers so I built up quite a collection. After many years of moves and getting sick of storing shit I sold off or gave away the games I never played, reducing my collection to a more manageable amount. I kept all of my consoles since I like playing on original hardware but only kept games I've had since childhood, ones I would actually play time to time or the ones that I knew would be damn near impossible to find again for a reasonable amount or in the condition I had.

Collecting just isn't my thing anymore. It is really neat to see anons or other people with huge game collections. I just don't want to deal with that much vidya anymore and whittled it down to what I really wanted.
>>
>>386778818
Don't do it, if you games in your collection are special too you then keep them. Not everything in life will always be immediately useful at any random time.
>>
>>386783517
how much money?
>>
File: 1487944264598.png (248KB, 700x655px) Image search: [Google]
1487944264598.png
248KB, 700x655px
collectors is cancer of retro gamimg
>>
>>386778084
Not him but if you're really interested in the saturn the action replay pseudosaturn hack is really easy to do and fairly cheap. You also get slight improvement in games too because of the extra ram. Only issue is you can't use the AR to save your games and instead use the built in saturn memory.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.