[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got $50 on Steam. Which total war game is the best and why should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 14

Got $50 on Steam. Which total war game is the best and why should I get it? My friend says Attila is the best. Is this true?
>>
>>386757737
Attila is fun, but it. But Medieval 2 is the best.
>>
>>386757737

All i can tell you is that Medieval 2 was my favorite, i really liked Shogun 2, and now with Total Warhammer it's the most fun i've had with a Total War gme since Medieval 2.

Honorable mention goes to Rome 1, i don't care about the rest.
>>
>>386759035
>>386759242
Sounds good. I am a big fan of the medieval era
>>
Warhammer will have the most mileage if you have money to keep dumping into it.
You can skip faction DLCs if you don't want to play as that faction, as they'll still be on the AI campaign in the base game.
With TW:W 2 not far away, maybe you should hold out for that and get TW:W 1 on sale, since there'll be a free DLC that lets you play them together.
>>
>>386757737
Get Medieval 2 or Shogun 2.
>>
>>386757737
Here seems as good a place as any to ask
I've tried to get into the series through Empire, Shogun and Medieval but they've left me cold, is there a recommended first playthrough experience/game to make me see the light?
>>
>tfw such a dinosaur you haven't been able to get into a total war game since Med2.

If there was a way to modify Rome 1 ai it would make every sequel obsolete.
>>
>>386759792

I assume you meant Shogun 2 and Medieval 2, if those didn't interest you then i doubt any other will, except perhaps for Total Warhammer, that might be your last chance to like the series.

You can pirate it now too, and Warhammer 2 comes out soon(?) so you might want to give that a try.
>>
>>386759858
I've heard multiple times that Medieval 2 was the best one.
>>
>>386760028
Yeah, I meant S2 and M2
I do dig the setting of Total Warhammer, but I thought I might just have been flailing playing S2 and missing the best way to acclimatise to the series
>>
File: lies1.jpg (18KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
lies1.jpg
18KB, 480x320px
>be TWWH fanboy
>buy every title and every dlc as soon as they release
>pre-order everything to get every bonus dlc
Pic is advice.
>>
1. Medieval/Rome (tied for first, both are excellent with great modding support)
2. Shogun 2
POWER GAP
3. Attila
4. Warhammer
5. Rome 2
6. Napoopan
7. Rest dont matter SHIT
>>
Have some good memories in Medieval II, Ottoman campaign in that game has to be the best campaign in all total war history. It was a fun game, especially when mods were added.
Rome: Total war was fun only with mods, vanilla was a nice kick every now and than but it was very arcadey for my taste, Roma Surrectum II was one of the best mods I have ever played with. The total war games of that era were much more moddable than currently where CA restricts addition of new content so they can keep people to buy their shitty DLC's.
Warhammer is where it's at currently though, its pretty colourful and has alot of flavor and asymmetry. But only accessible if you are willing to be jewed out of alot of your money for DLC's.
>>
>>386757737
Atilla is best for Empire Management.
Warhammer is best for Army variety and battles

Medieval 2 is a good all rounder, but shows its age in many areas, such as the AI/Pathfinding
>>
>>386760298
When you say medieval you mean medieval 2 or 1, cause both are great, but 2 is better.
>>
Medieval 2>Rome1>Warhams>Shogun2>the rest
>>
>>386759792

You sound like a casual. Try total warhamms arcady kiddy edition.
>>
>>386757737
atilla is the very best they could do with the skeleton of the abomination that is rome2.
But as admirable that may be, it makes the game a whole lot worse than most other TWs.
>>
>>386759858

Same here. I still cringe and moan at what the series has become.

Kind like the rest of how you grow up. We thought we would have flying cars in 2017 but it's all allahu akhbar, cuckolding and 3476 genders now.
>>
>>386761134

Warhams is at the very bottom. I hate looking at the retarded animations and moba style gameplay. One of the biggest disappointments in my life tbqh
>>
File: 1452865619193941599.jpg (72KB, 600x408px) Image search: [Google]
1452865619193941599.jpg
72KB, 600x408px
>>386757737

I miss grizzly old warhammer..
>>
>>386762791

And I miss classic total war...
>>
>he fell for the steam meme
>>
File: goblin_attack_moddlord1.jpg (255KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
goblin_attack_moddlord1.jpg
255KB, 1024x719px
>>
>>386759035
I loved Medieval II too but now it feels too dated, the cavalry movement feels clunky and the need to have a general for recruiting units has grown on me
>>
>>386757737
Shogun 2
>>
>>386762875
You mean when AI couldn't siege properly, couldn't disembark troops across the sea and historical accuracy was at its very worst?
>>
>>386757737
The best total way will always be Rome 1. Diplomacy is very significant when dealing with senate, and it makes taking any action against another faction feel important.

If you're looking to get into the series, Shogun 2 is the best place to start. it does a very good job of streamlining the combat units while still retaining the tactical elements of the real time battles.
>>
Why are people recommending Medieval 2? It's extremely fucking dated and clunky at this point and the warscape engine is a lot better. Shogun 2 and Warhammer are the best tbqh.
>>
>>
wait for warhammer 2
>>
>>386763635
might as well buy warhammer 1 now then cuz 2 is an xpac
>>
>>386763134
I sort of miss the smaller scale skirmishes that happened all over the place, but large scale battles being the norm is a nice change from it being a rarity.
Empire probably embittered it to me, given how often you got single stacks running around irritating the living fuck out of everything then running away.
>>
The same reason genwunners exist. Rose tinted glasses and /v/irgins trying to appear hardcore.

It's my favourite TW, but unless you were playing it back then, you wont properly appreciate it now, considering how badly it's aged.
S2 is the best game for new players
>>
Why do I get fuckin rekt in my TW campaigns?

I'll win the first 1 or 2 battles but then I start to lose money and my soldiers begin to die and leave, and then I get rebellions. No matter fucking what. But the CPU can have massive as fuck armies but only 1 settlement and just wreck house.

Does the CPU cheat in TW?
>>
>>386763253
>>386763447

It was a flawd gem. Modders took care of most of its issues.

Modern AI can siege because sieges consist of 'MOVE FORWARD IN ONE DIRECTION IMMEDIATELY' for example. All of these so called 'improvements' hit the exact same vein. Extreme simplifications to the point of being an arcade game.

Warhamms is a mess to look at (not that you have time zooming in while microing your 13 super speshuls and moba characters anyways). Units hack in the vague direction of each other without any interaction or contact and randomly decide to faint...or get up after being hit by a canon ball.
>>
>>386763635
just get both, since 2 is a glorified expansion.
>>
File: becc76d52bdd582b6378018d72ad3ce4.jpg (363KB, 1200x862px) Image search: [Google]
becc76d52bdd582b6378018d72ad3ce4.jpg
363KB, 1200x862px
>>
Shogun 2, Warhammer, and Atilla are all pretty good, especially with all the DLC (which I recommend pirating because fuck that jewery).

All fit a different niche / setting / tech age too, which is nice.
>>
Warhammer 1 has sexy griffins/demigryphs
>>
>>
>>386764014

So what you are saying is that Warhammer Total War would be better if it didn't have heroes, monsters and wasn't a visual mess?

I can respect that opinion except for one crucial flaw. It would not be warhammer.
>>
>>386764176
Ayy lmao
>>
>>386757737

Listen OP, we can give you tier lists, but let's be honest. If you're an entrant into TW, you're not going to want to play something dated like Medieval 2 (which I love so much I just replayed a campaign last week.)

So I'm only going to talk about the new era Total Wars.

Your best bet, to be honest, is going to be Shogun 2 and its counterpart, Fall of the Samurai. Both are exceptional, and the nature of the Japanese map makes for maximum comfy as you embark on your conquest.

IF you want to do something else, then I would recommend Empire. It's known for bugs, but with Darthmod it's a truly exceptional game and clinically underrated in my opinion.

If you must go for one of the new-era three (Rome 2, Attila, and Warhammer,) Attila is the clear winner. Its systems improve greatly upon a lot of Rome 2's failures, but in truth I have no real love for these games. These titles just feel stripped of soul. Certain fundamental design differences from prior titles are also downright annoying (for example, you must have a general to recruit units, and the garrison system is completely fucked.) In addition, Warhammer is a shell of a title; more DLC than anything else.

Enjoy!
>>
File: tumblr_nd2m01swmG1sz7asho9_1280.jpg (146KB, 802x618px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nd2m01swmG1sz7asho9_1280.jpg
146KB, 802x618px
>>386764435
Nice strawman. I am saying that it would be better if it was less of an arcady piece of trash bringing out the worst in an already flawed engine.

Going full moba is not the only way to implement all these elements. In fact it is the very wrong way to do a warhammer game. Actually human/elven/whatevs hero units running arround completely alone and tanking 120 people regiments completely goes against the spirit of warhammer anyways. It was supposed to be a fantasy world with the dynamics of real life military history. Just read the damn rules or fluff or look at the artwork unti all went downhill with age of shitmar.
For all events and purposes even the older ttw games did a better job at catching the spirit.
Being a visual mess has even less to do with anything.
Look at the mediocre mod Call of Warhammer to get an idea how it could have been done.
>>
File: skaven-4.jpg (47KB, 580x365px) Image search: [Google]
skaven-4.jpg
47KB, 580x365px
>>
>>386764903
I'd say Napoleon is better than Empire, especially for babbies first time.

Want to play with guns and cannons and rule an empire?
>Napoleon
Want to play samurai and raid castles and forts while honoring your clan and taking control of an island for your shogun?
>Shogun 2
Want to play with magic and odd creatures and control unique hero units as well as massive armies?
>Warhammer
Want to invade, pillage, and fight with antiquated weapons?
>Atilla
>>
>>386764903

Shogun 2 has a super limited unit variety though. Kinda game breaking for me. Also the gameplay is a bit too fast paced for me and ranged combat is so overpowered that it breaks the immersion. The Avatar conquest is nice but kinda ruins the balance of the game. In general its one of those titles where many battles are decided by army composition alone...which kinda sucks especially if you compare it to medieval II where a militia stack could beat any elite army just by encircling and routing it.

FoTS on the other hand is quite ridiculous setting wise....that shit only happened in a Tom Cruise movie. But I might give it a try.
>>
>>386764014
sieges weren't the only thing wrong with Medieval 2. there was:
pikemen dropping their pikes the second they get into melee
charges breaking down because 1 man got stuck on another enemy
only the front line of a unit actually charging an enemy while the rest just sit back away from combat and build fatigue.
cavalry being insanely micro heavy because They would often charge 3/4ths of the time with their swords instead of lances
the absolutely horrid pathfinding in cities
the absolute joke called sieges where you could defend a castle against a full stack with just a unit of bowmen a spearmen
the AI would hate you no matter what you did and would always backstab/betray you whenever possible
>>
File: Hannibal.jpg (348KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Hannibal.jpg
348KB, 1360x768px
Hey they finally fixed the chariot spam bullshit.
>>
>>386766459
What the fuck is that filter you're using?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.