[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I finished DS3 and could buy this for about $40. I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
So I finished DS3 and could buy this for about $40. I really liked Bloodborne and DS3. I hear a lot of bad things about DS2 but most people have bad taste anyway, should I pick it up? No PS3 for DeS or DS1.
>>
>>386730342
Yeah, you should.
Its for sure the weakest in the series, but it will be up for you to see and decide for yourself.

Even though most of the game is honestly meh, it has some highlights, and dlc is probably my favorite in the series, and sotfs comes with it.
>>
>>386730342
Yes pick it up.
>>
$40? Don't pay that much.
>>
File: 1491263036648.jpg (21KB, 530x464px) Image search: [Google]
1491263036648.jpg
21KB, 530x464px
It's okay, I gave it a try after playing the others even though most people said it was shit and it was just okay really. What I personally don't like is how the combat feels slower and more delayed than the other games and how rolling is a stat. But you might like it so yeah give it a try
>>
>>386730342
If you liked the series for relatively fast-paced combat and fleshed out arpg mechanics, avoid the shit out of DS2. It's an awful ARPG that feels like you're constantly underwater and with a broken deadzone to boot and with some weird king's field-like dungeon crawler vibe, and if you like that you're better off just playing in actual king's field or any good dungeon crawler, really.

And really not for $40
>>
>>386732197
Fuck I bought it I'm 40 dollars poorer
>>
>>386730342
If you need a souls like time sink go for it, it's nowhere near close to the quality of DS3 and esp not bloodborne.
>>
I liked the combat, dual wielding is fun especially if you get special swords which alter your movesets

The level design is ok, the games kinda easy cause the added consumable healing items like demons, you don't even really need them

I liked the dlc
>>
>>386730342
If you're just wanting to throw $40 away, sure. There are loads of other better games you could get though. And chances are, if you liked BB and DS3, you'll hate this one even more. I played it after DeS and DS1, and I was extremely let down. It's a very hollow (pun not intended) experience compared to the other souls games.
>>
>>386730342

you can get it for way cheaper than 40. Scholar is the best souls game tho
>>
>>386734131
Except it's fucking not, and you're either a mongoloid, or baiting.
>>
>>386734459

only demons is better. but very few people, myself included, can enjoy a 30fps game in this day and age.

DaS1 on PC is pretty great but its nowhere near as long or consistently well made and paced as Scholar

3 and BB are abortions
>>
>>386734612
>bloodborne
>bad
>>
>>386734708

BB is awful my dude

im not hard up for a few quid but ive never felt as robbed as when i bought a PS4 to play that game. pure guff

i gave both the game and the PS4 to my sister
>>
>>386730342
cant you find that "fixed" edition of Dark Souls 2 for $20?
>>
>>386734792
>>386734792
What's didn't you like about BB? What is better about DS2?

>INB4 muh bloodvial grinding.
>>
>>386735260

fundamentally, for me the game has a couple of major issues

>combat/build variety
lack of shields, lack of armor, lack of decent spells either magical or faith, no free form dual wielding etc etc leads to their being basically one way to the play the game no matter what weapon you use. using the wiki or doing second runs/NG+ runs might allow you to use some of the lesser known and slightly more unique weapons to get a bit more outta the game in this regard. but on my playthrough i found the whole game very samey and boring, and i did a quality build with some int so i could use some magic items, so i had a big choice of weapons i could use and i still found every combat encounter played out exactly the same regardless of what weapons i was trying

>encounter design/combat theory vs reality
too many encounters involve either mobs of mooks or one or two big huge enemies in a small space or corridor. gets boring fast when you either rush in and go HAM or just kite enemies into walking into your charged R2s. the game attempts to take a fast paced and reflexes based spin on souls combat, removing shields almost entirely and making parries be resource based(utterly horrible idea) and replacing even being able to defend with your weapons with dodging. however, the game runs at a consistent 24fps or thereabouts and trying to play based on reaction like this was really difficult for me as a mostly PC gamer. as an aside, in this regard, nioh far surpassed BB in meeting that aim

the setting and art direction were cool. but so much of the game was just awful for me
>>
>>386730342
Combat does not feel that good, other than that it is not a bad game.
>>
>>386735905
Seconded. OP play it for a few hours and see if the floaty combat puts you off. If you don't notice it you're good to go.
>>
It's got the most build variety and it's much faster than other games to make the gear for your build available.

Most people hate it because they couldn't adapt to adaptability and/or the disjointed plot and area progression.
>>
>>386736363
I got past the tutorial area right now and I wouldn't say the combat is floaty just not as sharp as 3/BB. I haven't been in any bossfights yet though that would really make or break it.

Right off the bat I'm not as enthused as I was when i started DS3.
>>
Get used to literally every off the wall build you make working well into NG+. The enemies in PvE are plain sad.
>>
>>386735803
>lack of shields
This isn't a problem whatsoever. Shields were optional even since DaS 2 introduced omnidirectional rolls. Overusing them slows the game to a crawl.
>lack of armor
There are certainly less unique sets, but removal of equip load makes more fashion combinations viable.
>lack of decent spells either magical or faith
While there are fewer spells in total they also have much less overlap.
Take any DaS game and throw out spells that act as purely more powerful versions of others and those that have borderline zero utility (like cure status effect, I would even argue that healing spells are borderline useless in DaS 2) and you're not left with much either.
>no free form dual wielding
True, but weapons have more moves and combo for more than 2 attacks, also transformation moves.
>basically one way to the play the game no matter what weapon you use
This is incredibly reductive. Taken to an extreme it's true for every single Souls game - does it really matter whether you whack dudes with a dagger or a building sized hammer?
>too many encounters involve either mobs of mooks or one or two big huge enemies in a small space or corridor
You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but once again I fail to see how is this different to any other of the Souls games.
>removing shields almost entirely and making parries be resource based(utterly horrible idea)
On the contrary, this is one of the best ideas the game had.
Learning parry timings and experimenting with the mechanic is finally not a chore that will get you killed over and over until you get it just right.
Gun parries also allow for a much faster and more fluid pace.
This is balanced by putting a soft limit on the number of parries you can make so you can't just spam them ad nauseam.
>play based on reaction like this was really difficult for me as a mostly PC gamer
You need to acquire more skill and stop blaming your failings on minor performance issues.
>>
>>386730342
>$40
lmao

no
>>
I fucking hate this game but I cannot stop playing it

What is wrong with me? I'm more interested in messing around with classes and weapons in 2 than I am in 1, and I much prefer the latter as an overall game. There's something about 2 that's so appealling, even though I think the game mechanics are pretty garbage.
>>
>>386736858

well we're at an impasse then. you clearly have totally different ideas to me about what constitutes quality or quantity.

i'm glad you enjoyed it. i personally thought it was a massive waste of time and potential.

also a game running at less than 25fps is not a minor performance issue by any means. especially for someone used to games running at 60 at a minimum on lagless displays with wired input devices. you might as well tell a formula 1 driver not to complain about his car when hes competing in a dacia 1300 with flat tires
>>
>>386737165
Mechanically it's at the very least deep. You're probably like me and find fast combat really annoying, and you may find that you actually like the RPG aspects of Souls even more than the Action aspect, of which most people are immediately aware of with the game. Miyazaki's titles are far more action oriented.
>>
>>386730342
It may be the weakest in the series, but even the worst souls game, is leagues better than pretty much everyother game out there
>>
>>386737494
Yeah, I think that's it. It's much more of an RPG. I also really like some of the armor and weapon designs.
>>
It's the weakest in the series but i had some nice ideas like powerstancing
They really should have kept that shit
>>
It's pretty great and worth $40 (but you can get it for cheaper). It also has an assload of loot, builds, magic and is also hysterically long if that's your thing.
>>
File: c word.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
c word.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
I paid 15$ for it and it was my first souls game, I liked Dark souls 3 ALOT more. DS2 is deliberately frustrating towards the player so when I started playing Dark Souls 3 it really wa a relief. I have yet to play DS1 or BB but it's obvious to me that where these games shine is when it's hard but fair, Dark Souls 2 isn't fair in it's design.
>>
>>386730342
DS2 is great. Every DS game is pretty much worth the full price of admission.
>>
>>386738049
DS2 fucking sucks when it comes to being fair, but is pretty rewarding when you manage to out-bullshit the game

It seems like they deliberately tried to make the game hard instead of accidentally making it difficult like previous games. It's probably just Namco Bandai believing their own marketing and forcing From to make a purposefully hard game.
>>
>>386738049
>>386738348
Dark Souls 2 isn't fucking hard.
>>
>>386738450
Did I say it was? It's just the most bullshit.
>>
>>386738450
Once you've memorized every bullshit enemy placement and frustratingly kited every mob etc. It's not necessarily harder, It's just not as fun to overcome it.
>>
File: 1456196026139.gif (2MB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1456196026139.gif
2MB, 400x350px
SOTFS is much better than 3
Dont listen to bandwagoners
>>
File: 1476969453797.png (704KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1476969453797.png
704KB, 720x1280px
>>386734612
>Scholar
>consistently well made
>>
>>386730342
It feels very different from the other soulsgames, like it's on an entirely different engine (not sure if it is). Try it as if it's a completely new game, not a souls game.
>>
>>386738619
much better than 3 which is consistently dogshit
>>
>>386738968
When did I mention DS3? Anyway.
They made the base game worse, the branch placement changes were the only improvements.
No changes to the DLCs, which is good because they're still the best part of the game.
>>
It's OK
>>
>>386738619

>dark souls 1
>blight town
>ash lake
>izalith
>in fact everything between the entrances to blight town and bed of chaos is just pure trash

the DLC was also tiny and very underwhelming, especially in relation to how it handled its representation of the abyss, manus, a dragon as a boss and some other stuff. the chimera boss thing was fucking trash too. but artorias was my favourite boss in the entire series

most of the rest of the base game ranged from good to exceptional tho
>>
File: fish in a barrel.webm (2MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
fish in a barrel.webm
2MB, 853x480px
>>386739259
>>blight town
>>ash lake
Put your head in a blender those are great areas.
>>
>>386738574
You don't really have to kite after you know their placement. The beauty of DaS2 is that most weapon movesets have good clearing ability even when 2-handed.

And especially in Scholar which nerfed mobs to the ground and outright gives you materials to +7 after maybe 3 areas.
>>
>>386739259
Blighttown isn't that bad if you know which paths are important and which ones aren't (you can even skip most of it and the Depths with the Master Key). New Londo Ruins and the Four Kings fight can suck my dick, though.

Seriously, what's the point in having a fight called the "Four Kings" if more than four can spawn in? There are also no bonfires (which means you'll have to run all the way from Firelink Shrine every god damn time or even worse if Lothric killed the Fire Keeper) despite Demon Ruins having about 50.

Don't even get me started on those fucking ghosts.
>>
>>386739447
>ash lake
>the cradle of all life
>one of the most important areas in the game in terms of lore and story
>in game representation is a linear sandbar that can be navigated in about 5 minutes and is populated exclusively with reused enemies from other areas and shit loot and a shit covenant

>blight town
>1/3 walking speed town
>no PvP here town
>poison all the fucking time town
>10FPS town

blight town was an absolute pain in the face until DaSfix and even after its a fucking chore
>>
>>386739775
Blighttown seriously isn't even that bad, and I've played the Xbox version multiple times. The only parts that's even remotely shitty is the part with the 5 blowdart dudes and the Fire Keeper Soul. Apart from that, it's smooth sailing. Quelaag isn't even that hard.
>>
File: 1456691045133.png (280KB, 507x487px) Image search: [Google]
1456691045133.png
280KB, 507x487px
>>386739775
>He hasn't even expirenced 5-2
Blighttown was a walk in the park.
>>
>>386739671

i hate 4 kings mostly because its one of the rare bosses in a souls game where the difficulty is largely based on what build you have and not on how skilled you are

either you have the right build and are using magic barrier or you try the fight enough times until you get lucky enough to win

i actually like the rest of londo ruins a lot. i usually have a blessed weapon so i dont have to use those stupid curse items to do damage tho

>>386739860

never said blight town was hard. its just a chore. its a poorly designed and optimised area

>>386740039

i've played DeS and i think blight town is worse
>>
>>386730342
>DS2
even at its worst, still worth it.
>>
>>386739127
2's base game is mostly crap aside from a couple cool areas like Drangleic Castle and Undead Crypt, but I think the DLCs are actually better than the majority of 3. I really, really tried to like 3 but I think the series had just gotten stale enough for me at that point that almost nothing in it really felt interesting or engaging
>>
>>386730342
DaS2 is the worst in the series by a wide margin
>>
>>386740039
Why do people say 5-2 is so insanely difficult? 4-2 was WAY harder for me, 5-2 really isn't that bad
>>
>>386730342
2 was my least favorite game in the Souls series.
>>
>>386740671
It was just a more difficult swamp meme area.
I found 1-3 to be the hardest area honestly.
>>
>>386740821
Really? The only thing that ever gave me trouble in 1-3 were the red eye knights with the claymores, they could 1 or 2-shot you super easily. Same with 1-4
>>
>>386730342
DS2 was an absolutely garbage game. Absolute garbage design, bosses were mostly shit ( and also mostly humanoid) and the game has awful design.

Bloodborne>DS1/DS3>>>>DS2
>>
>>386740953
4-2 seemed easy, the ghosts didn't really do much. Cliff area was pure evil. 1-3 had a lot of enemy density and archers, plus the red eye trio gave me a lot of trouble for some reason.
>>
Worst entry in the series, but has a lot of meat to it. It's the only one where I genuinely felt the bosses and certain enemies were a little more than cheap, but it kept me busy for a good 600 hours across its multiple iterations. It defintley suffers from devil may cry 2 syndrome.
>>
Yeah you should, just so you can laugh at the people that unironically say DaS2 is the best in the series
>>
>>386741096
The gold skeletons had a nearly unbreakable guard which made them really frustrating on the cliffs with the storm beasts hucking javelins at you constantly
>>
>>386741175
At least DaS2 is actually fun at parts, DMC2 is one of the most boring games I've ever played.
>>
>>386730342
DS1 is on PC you fuck, and doesn't require much to run. Also, 2 is not very good and certainly isn't worth 40 bucks. If you really like Souls games, get it on sale. The DLC is the only decent part of 2.
>>
>>386741190
Don't remind me of that one video where a guy tries to say how 2 is better than 1 because he has a fetish for not using shields and thinks Matthewmatosis is stupid
>>
>>386730342
>but most people have bad taste anyway

I felt the same way, anon. It ended in tears of rage because of how shit the game was
>>
I don't hate it but I feel like it really overstayed it's welcome.
>50 or 60 hours in on first playthrough
>all DLC done and explored a huge chunk of places
>well time to beat Vendrick
>hit him with my +10 raw malformed skull
>does jack shit
>get really fed up when I find out I either have to kill more bosses or just deal with it
>never finished game
My first playthroughs of DeS and DaS lasted a similar amount of time but I feel like most of it came from not knowing what I was doing+lack of fast travel in the first half of DaS, as opposed to just being really long
>>
>>386738450
>le game isnt hard cool guy post

Yes, we get it, you're a fucking god at every game you play

Now upload yourself beating the gargoyles naked with the broken sword or shut the fuck up
>>
>>386730342
DS3 isn't terrible but there's no doubt that it's the worst of the series. I think it's worth playing through but keep your expectations low. I highly recommend finding some way to play Dark Souls 1 and Demons' Souls as both games are excellent. I also recommend Nioh, but I'd recommend against Lords of the Fallen and The Surge.
>>
$40???
Are you out of your fucking mind? Just buy a steam key for like $10
>>
>>386730342
I'm in a similar boat as you OP. I'm almost done with DS3, and have no PS3 or gaming PC. Idk if I should play DS2 or just skip to Bloodborne and be done.
>>
File: oZkJL_f-.jpg (296KB, 600x302px) Image search: [Google]
oZkJL_f-.jpg
296KB, 600x302px
>>386741957
I meant it. It is objectively easier than any of the Miyazaki titles and you can fuck off for being shit at a game where enemies literally do nothing but run at you without defending or retreating. Easiest way to beat the game is to just be a blender.
>>
>>386730342
Dark Souls 2 is the formula perfected and unequivocal crown of the genre.
>>
>>386730342
As someone who played Demons Souls on release, my favorite goes BB>2>1>DeS>3. 2 is pretty much the culmination of DeS and DaS.
>>
Still worth playing for sure. Just because it doesn't compare to Demon's, DS1, and BB doesn't make it a bad game.
>>
>>386732431
You're a retard, it's 9 dollars on dlcompare for SOTFS
>>
>>386730342
It is still a good game just not as good as DS1,3, or BB
>>
>>386730342
>I can forgive the lackluster bosses. The boring areas. The so-so soundtrack.
>Go for it.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.